[MC] Fort Huggable: Server & Updates

For players of many different games!
Tomias
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Re: Minecraft: Fort Huggable

Post by Tomias » 12/20/12

And after much hunting of zombies, Potatoes and carrots are busy being grown at Castle Silverpaws. Look for it to be available soon at the variious outposts!

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 01/24/13

I googled "reliable minecraft hosts" and got this site: https://www.bestminecrafthosts.com/

Maybe one of those would suffice?

Tomias
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Tomias » 01/24/13

Well I didn't update to the latest release so still on 1.4.6 and able to play fine if a couple of disconnects at times. So I can play of it... altho I won't go to Erithe's castle complex.. too many monsters of all sorts there! So many zombies....

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 01/26/13

And our new Minecraft server is formally up and running!

forthuggable.ravenfire.net or akanon.mephitsune.org

Spezial thanks to Shizouka for her work in porting the server over, and in graciously hosting it for us. As a note... portals to the Nether may have been scrambled. We'll look into how we might relink the portals if you have custom biomes in the Nether, since it's the same Nether.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 01/26/13

Yay! Yeah, I have it on a free license, but if it needs, I will get a paid one for more than 8 people at once.

If anyone runs into weird lag or hiccups, let us know. I want to keep it stable before doing much fine tuning.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 02/07/13

Shizouka and I have been talking very seriously about what to do about Fort Huggable. Our server world has been around since Beta days, and as a result... the world is unstable, certain biomes and ores are not likely to be found anywhere near the spawn point, and there's general corruption in the world file after so many server updates and moves.

Are current plan is something like this: Come the 1.5 release of the new Minecraft server, we will use some editing programs to store and save selected player-made structures. We'll then re-start the world fresh, and drop those old buildings back into place. This will give us a chance to have as much of a fresh start as possible.

We're going to try and save all the structures that look like a lot of work was put into them, but if you're willing to give up your constructions, that also helps us a lot with the move. Please reply if you're OK with losing your particular building and starting over!

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 02/08/13

Crowding the origin point with stuff right off the bat might not be the best way to go, so if I may make a suggestion that might be some fun:

At a certain point on Fort Huggable, we back up the state of the world as it is and make the last state archived for single player downloads. Then we flip the server to creative mode, and start going through the structures we will preserve and, where appropriate, ruin and distress them. There are techniques to distress structures in minecraft: mossy cobblestone, cracked bricks, cobwebs, holes in the walls (and holes with stairs), vines. In creative mode we'd have carte blanche to conjure whatever piles of dirt and plants might be necessary to effect this.

We take these ruined structures and spread them across the world at decent intervals. Not too far from the origin, but in appropriate places and distant enough from each other to essentially be ruined landmarks. Like Shiz's pyramid could go in a nearby desert. Sunrise Mtn could be in a hilly zone. Shiz's bridge could stretch across a body of water.

Could be a fun project. I know I had fun building Sunrise Mtn, but it would also be fun turning it into a relic.

Link: https://minecraft-guides.net/building/ruins.php

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 02/10/13

The server has been flipped to creative mode to allow anyone interested to prepare their structures for export. My base is all ruined and overgrown with ivy now!

You don't have to ruin a structure for it to be exported, but I think it's a nice touch.

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 02/10/13

Transition time! I've set up a test server with the destination map active. Once you've prepared your building for export on the main server, log in to the destination map and stake out where you want your old building from Huggable to go. The server is up to be prepared for SMP launch on the actual Huggable server run by shiz. It's presently in creative mode, but I trust you all enough not to bury infinite resources somewhere :P

It's a modded server, so to log in you'll need the Technic launcher, available here:

https://www.technicpack.net/

Don't worry, this is very simple and won't change any settings in your main client. Once you have the launcher you'll want to select a 'custom pack' from the dropdown. Then click on options and input this into custom zip:

https://www.agfanclub.com/huggable/mods.zip

The mods.zip will download and extract into your directory automatically when you launch. It contains copies of all the mods you need to be compatible with the server, as well as Rei's Minimap and Not Enough Items, both of which are client side and can be disabled if you don't like them.

Once you are in, the test server address is: 216.52.63.81. The port is 25565, but you probably won't need it.

The mods that are running on the server are: Universal Electricity, ComputerCraft, Thaumcraft 3, and Twilight Forest. This is a nice mix of high science and magic. Tons of mods were tried and rejected due to various issues, but these seem to be quality. I'll make a post closer to launch describing key features of them. If you want to mess around with them beforehand, you can do so in single player on the custom minecraft client the launcher created.
Last edited by Tenebrae on 02/11/13, edited 1 time in total.

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 02/11/13

Erithe wrote:How do we go about "staking out" our areas? I want to make sure I do it correctly. *nod nod*
Mark the location with a pillar of something (sand, gravel). If you want to be highly specific about it, you can place two pillars in the old map and two matching pillars in the new, representing the bounding box of the thing you want imported. I'll use MCedit to smooth out the rough bits around the edges, but it might also take some post-importation legwork to make it look natural at ground level.

Then post here or send me a PM with the source and destination coordinates.
Is there a rundown somewhere of what these mods actually do/add?
Sure:

Universal Electricity
Universal Electricity is a suite of mods made by different authors that use the same system of electrical power. UE (also called the Voltz pack if you are looking for youtube tutorials) allows you to generate electricity through various means and transport it to electrically powered devices with wires. At its most basic early midgame level this means you can make coal-fired generators and use them to power electrical smelters, which are a little more efficient than basic furnaces.

It introduces a handful of new ores and uses them as part of its advanced recipes. You can make steel, for example, and will have to.

Once you get to the late and end-game, UE has a number of things you can do with power beyond duplicating the basic game functions. Here's a semi-extensive list of the things you can build once you master the basic recipes and technologies:
-Nuclear reactors, both fission and fusion, which operate under the same principles as they do in real life.
-Geothermal and solar power generators.
-Efficient smelting machines that allow you to create two ingots from one ore.
-A huge variety of destructive devices and missiles which can fly them to distant targets and explode.
-Virtually indestructable building materials
-Particle accelerators to produce antimatter, which can be used for purposes good or ill.
-Forcefields
-Modular powered armor that incorporate gliding or flight, or allow you to have a battery powered, overclocked pickaxe.
-Teleporters!
-Assembly lines which automatically transport and sort out items for you--and look immensely cool while doing so.
-Pumps which transport water or lava around to other locations.

Wiki: http://voltzwiki.com/wiki/Main_Page
Youtube Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=ELpetCRcv0p1s

ComputerCraft
ComputerCraft adds a "Computer" block to the game, which is a terminal style machine you can program with LUA. It comes with a few programs, including snake and "Adventure", which is a recursive text adventure version of Minecraft. While very cool, the computer and its peripherals aren't the important part or the reason the mod was included.

One of the deficiencies of Universal Electricity is that, despite how resource hungry it is, there is no capability to automatically mine things as is found in other technology mods. Fortunately ComputerCraft has these adorable 1x1 robots called turtles that float around and will dig tunnels and holes for you. Once you've built a turtle, place it near the hole or tunnel you want dug and right click on it. Place coal (for fuel) in its inventory and type one of these commands into the prompt:

excavate x
or
tunnel y

x is the dimensions of the rectangular hole you want the turtle to dig. If you type excavate 5 it will dig out a 5x5 hole until it runs into water, lava, or runs out of coal fuel. When it fills up its inventory it will fly back to where you commanded it first and dump it all, including its own fuel. Not very smart. Still very handy! If you type tunnel it will dig a 2x3 tunnel of length y.

As a side advantage of using ComputerCraft for automatic mining, someone who doesn't want to engage with any of the other mods can still acquire auto-mining fairly easily by crafting a simple turtle. The recipe isn't even that expensive.

Mod Spotlight: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YfwEgD0Vexw

Thaumcraft 3
Thaumcraft 3 allows you to be a WIZARD, and run around with a wand wielding the powers of the arcane.

You can boil any item in the game down in a cauldron and reduce it to its essential magical aspects, which allows you to use them to make magical items. You can craft tiny golems who will move items and fluids around for you like a magic assembly line, or order them to simply defend your territory. You can spit fire and lightning (and even mining) from wands, and create other magical items like boots that allow you to run faster, or jump pads that launch you upwards. There's an item in here called the arcane bore, which can make short work of creating tunnels. Thaumcraft also offers indestructable materials. I'm still looking into it, but it's all pretty interesting and seems super well done.

The mod is unique in that it comes with an in-game tutorial on how to use its various features called the Thaumanomicon. To craft a wand you need one of the glowing infused stones, a stick, and a gold nugget. Cast a spell on a bookshelf and transform it into the thaumanomicon, which you can read and will teach you about the system. Unlike most mods (or even minecraft itself), it seems possible and probably encouraged to discover everything about this one from inside the game.

Mod Spotlight: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOj2PteDEMU
Wiki: http://thaumcraft-3.wikia.com/wiki/Thaumcraft_3_Wiki

Twilight Forest
Twilight Forest is introduces a new parallel dimension that you can reach by constructing a portal: build a 2x2 pond of water and surround it with plants, like flowers, mushrooms, or saplings. Throw a diamond in. Pow! You built a portal to Twilight Forest.

Once there you can explore the 7 biomes the forest has to offer, which are filled with huge and wondrous tress and twee fauna like deer, rabbits, little birds, goblins, and ravenous wolves. There are lots of structures and novel NPCs crawling around which I won't spoil for you, as the place is really better off with an element of mystery. It'd be a great place to set up some kind of Thaumcraft arcane workshop.

I'll include links to the mod spotlight and wiki, but really this place is meant to be explored.

Mod spotlight: http://youtu.be/SdPwMvbJOuM
Wiki: http://twilightforest.wikispaces.com/
Last edited by Tenebrae on 02/11/13, edited 4 times in total.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 02/15/13

Having gotten a look at the map in MCedit, there are real large tracts of land that got added, but could be trimmed down. We have a VERY large map. I did find Tomias's waaay far out there mining post :D

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 02/15/13

There's a pruned and modded version of Fort Huggable up on the ever-so-slightly laggy test server at 216.52.63.81. The world has been cut down to areas where there are significant player structures. (Don't worry, Tomias, I got your hut in the middle of nowhere!)

In the new areas, which lie just outside most player inhabitations (and in one significant case, in the center of the world), there are new ores, new blocks, and new trees that are supported by one of the three mods that are installed. Basalt and marble are some of the most obvious, but you'll also find sapphire/ruby/emerald, copper, tin, silver, nicolite, amber, and magic infused stone blocks.

To log in you'll need to download the Technic Launcher. Once you are in the launcher select custom pack, and then input this url into the custom zip field in the options:

It will download and extract the mods automatically. Since the last post Universal Electricity has been removed for barely not meeting quality standards, and ComputerCraft has been removed due to its central feature being unnecessary and unbalancing in the absence of Universal Electricity. In their place Redpower 2 has been added.

Redpower 2 is a mature tech mod that adds vastly to the number and types of devices available to players without negatively impacting the aesthetic sensibilities or balance of the world of minecraft. It also adds the ability to build with 'microblocks', which are thin slabs of material that may be applied to the faces of things. You can create a microblock out of virtually any block by using a hacksaw. It allows for some very interesting architecture.

The final list of mods is: Thaumcraft 3, Twilight Forest, Redpower 2. There's enough content here of sufficient quality to last for ages.

Once a bit more testing is done, we can relocate it to Shiz's server.

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 02/17/13

Fort Huggable is back online! Huge thanks to Shizouka, who has been nothing but accommodating and gracious, on top of providing the server for free.

After a few hours of play and some initial bugs involving items getting annihilated, it's safe to say the modded server has not exploded and, in fact, works fantastically. If you encounter the bug where items are going into the slot meant for your feet, empty out your inventory into a chest somewhere and message Shizouka so that she can delete your character data. That seems to solve the problem permanently.

There is a huge amount of exciting new content present on the server. In fact, the amount of new content is so large and of such quality that it's sort of difficult to wrap your mind around how it exists and was made for free by other players.

In addition to the mods I mentioned previously (Redpower 2, Thaumcraft 3, Twilight Forest), I made a last minute call to put Forestry back in. Forestry has a lot of interesting ideas in it, but I haven't got much to say about them yet, but at the very least the new trees it adds to the world are pretty. I've also included Iron Chests, a ubiquitous mod that adds metal chests with larger capacities. The highlights here are Redpower 2 and Thaumcraft 3, which add extensive technological and magical progression systems to the game.

Redpower 2 is incredible in comparison to the uneven and buggy Universal Electricity. The expansions it makes on the redstone system are vital to anyone familiar to the limitations of the ubiquitous dust. Even if you aren't big into redstone, the Red Alloy Wire is something you should look into. Unlike redstone dust, it can adhere to walls, ascend vertical surfaces, and travel long distances. Otherwise it works just like redstone.

In addition to a huge number of redstone block expansions, Redpower offers tubes that can transport items and fluid around for you. Redpower fluid transport is uniquely compelling in that it actually transports source blocks, giving it the ability to drain locations and refill other locations similar to a real pump. The pneumatic item tubes of Redpower are generally agreed to be more logical and reliable than their Buildcraft alternatives.

But that's not all! To hide all this unsightly machinery inside blocks, you can take nearly any block in the game apart with a hacksaw and create covers and panels out of it, allowing you to run wire and tubes through your structure without even changing its basic appearance. The system of microblocks can also be used to create novel design elements that would otherwise be impossible. The microblocks overwhelm the list of items, but creating them is a simple and standard process that works the same with every block type. So once you know how to make a panel (hacksaw it twice from above), you can make a panel from anything.

To top this all off, the textures of the mod are sublime. It's a work of genius, and you should check it out.

I can answer any questions people have. It's a bit overwhelming, I'll admit, but just check out some mod spotlights and focus on something in particular that you want to try without worrying about it all. One thing you can use to manage your confusion is the Not Enough Items mod, an inventory mod included in our pack that allows you to view the recipe for any item, and the recipes that this item is used in. So you might ask: what is this thing I have used in? Press U while hovering over it and you'll see its recipe. You can press U on the product of that recipe and see what that is used in, and so on.

Or if you want to know about what it takes to make something, press R and it will pull up its recipe and the thing used to make it. Really invaluable in the face of the large number of unique items in these mods and the bewildering array of new resources out there to acquire. Sum up: if you get something you don't recognize, just press U. It may produce something you don't recognize, but at least that's a start. You can also search for any item from your inventory, provided you know its name, and pull up its details on the right hand side of your screen. If you don't really have the time for it all, sock the item away (we're all hoarders in this game) and come back to it at a later date and just don't worry about it. You don't have to play every mod, that's for sure!

To log in you'll need the Technic Launcher. Once you have that up, select a custom pack and input this URL into the custom zip field:

http://www.agfanclub.com/huggable/mods.zip

If it fails to update, try again a couple times. Once you are in the client you can log into the server as normal. Its address is akanon.mephitsune.org.

Ijaka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Ijaka » 02/18/13

Edit: Yeah, not having so much fun with the Twilight Forest thing anymore

Ijaka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Ijaka » 02/19/13

Has anyone else experienced a movement glitch? When I'm moving, my character will keep moving forward (or back or sideways or jumping) even after I've stopped pressing the corresponding key. It happens to me pretty consistently and is making the game more or less unplayable.

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 02/20/13

I seem to get this error occasionally, even in Vanilla. According to the internet, possible issues are:

1) An outdated version of Java. Remember to uninstall past versions of java as they don't do a great job of uninstalling themselves. You can do so in programs.

2) Having the 64 bit version of java installed alongside your 32 bit version despite having a 32 bit os.

3) The Lightweight Java Games Library file in the minecraft bin. Updating it could potentially help. Although I tried this and minecraft refused to even start, so your mileage may vary. The program folder is in %appdata%/.techniclauncher/custom1/bin if you want to give this a shot, and the lwjgl is downloadable here: https://www.lwjgl.org/

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 02/20/13

Tenebrae wrote:2) Having the 64 bit version of java installed alongside your 32 bit version despite having a 32 bit os.
I did not know about this one. Ijaka has a 32 bit OS, I asked, so maybe installing this will help!

Ijaka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Ijaka » 02/20/13

Tried the 64 bit Java thing this morning, the game worked a bit better but the bug was still occuring. It especially seems to be happening during combat, which is what's killing me (literally).

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 02/20/13

I've included the 2.8.4 version of LWJGL in a version of our mods.zip at https://www.agfanclub.com/huggable/mods_lwjgl.zip

Install this into another custom pack on your technic launcher to try it out. I don't recommend trying it on the one you've been using to connect--it might mess up something else.

Edit:

The patch makes the problem a little better, but there still may be problems with sound. Oddly, I fixed them by briefly restoring the original minecraft openAL files, running the game, and then switching back to the updated ones. You can try switching back to the original files and it may simply work. My sound setup is not typical.

The original files will be in /%appdata%/.minecraft/bin/natives/ and will be openAL32.dll and openAL64.dll. The patched files will be in /%appdata%/.techniclauncher/custom2/bin/natives/, and replace custom2 with whatever custom directory you put the lwjgl update library into.

Ijaka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Ijaka » 02/21/13

I meant to post here yesterday, I was able to mostly sort out my movement issue. It still occurs occasionally, but no more than it seems to happen to most people. Most importantly, it doesn't happen as frequently when getting hit, which is what was really preventing me from enjoying the game.

In the end what the issue seemed to be was that I was installing the LWJGL files into the vanilla Minecraft directory. Where I needed to be installing them was in the Technic Launcher directory. Thanks so much to everyone who help me in sorting this out!

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 02/24/13

Experiencing some errors and can't log in. I've made sure that Java and Minecraft are fresh downloads and up to date. I have no other mods installed. This is as clean an install as I can make it.

Running Win7 64 Bit

Downloaded fresh graphics drivers, just in case.

WHen I try to log in via Technic, I get the following:

Spoilers:

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 02/24/13

Erithe, it looks like you are trying to execute a different load of mods than the one our server uses. You're probably using the actual 'Technic' pack from the looks of it. We're using the Technic launcher, but not the Technic mod pack.

You'll need to use the 'Custom Pack' feature, selectable from the dropdown, then go to options and input our custom mods.zip:

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 02/25/13

Hmm okay :) I thought I was loading that, but it is quite likely that I missed a step in that initial phase! I will try again at home tonight.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 02/25/13

Erithe wrote:Hmm okay :) I thought I was loading that, but it is quite likely that I missed a step in that initial phase! I will try again at home tonight.
I will be re-writing the instructions and placing them in the top of this forum (where they should go for the new players!), and posting them down here. Erithe, in your case specifically, I'll help you tonight as, ya know... we live together and stuff!

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 02/26/13

So, I did what Tenebrae said, and it worked; however, it's now says, when I try to join the server, that FML isn't loaded and I can't.