[MC] Fort Huggable: Server & Updates

For players of many different games!
Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Re: Minecraft: Fort Huggable

Post by Tenebrae » 02/26/13

That happens when you don't have Forge Mod Loader installed. Since FML is in mods.zip, it must not have downloaded properly.

When you select 'custom pack' there is a button to login, and under that button is a field that says 'options'. Click Options and it will take you to the options screen.

1. Hit clear cache. If you've tried to dl mods.zip in the past and been unsuccessful, this will make it download it again.
2. In the field at the bottom marked 'custom zip', put this address in: https://www.agfanclub.com/huggable/mods.zip
3. Launch the client. It should download mods.zip--if it says update failed, hit cancel and try again. Sometimes my ftp needs a bit of a wakeup call -_-

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 02/26/13

Thank you! :) I'm in!

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 03/01/13

Due to an error on my part, the server launched without one tiny yet absolutely necessary file, the absence of which makes it impossible to progress in the Forestry mod. That file is the Redpower Compatibility mod, which includes the Blulectric Engine necessary to power the Carpenter, a device which is the crux of the entire mod.

As a result, we'll all have to update our mods.zip. If you've already downloaded it once in the Technic Launcher, all you have to do is go to options and hit 'clear cache' and it will redownload mods.zip on launch. It will redownload all system files, so if you've updated LWJGL (Ijaka), you'll need to mod those again. Or better, simply drag them away before hitting clear cache and updating and drag them back afterwards. Fortunately your waypoints and keybindings won't be cleared, just system files.

To reiterate, mods.zip is here: https://www.agfanclub.com/huggable/mods.zip, and that's the URL you put in the Custom Zip field of the Technic Launcher custom pack options. In the future the Launcher promises to be able to issue updates automatically without this rigmarole so...look forward to it!

Anyway, sorry for the omission. This is a learning experience for us all. All in all the modded server has been less trouble than I thought it'd be.

Ijaka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Ijaka » 03/03/13

Since starting with the new launcher and the new mod pack, the game doesn't seem to be running as smoothly as it used to. I'm not sure whether the issue is on the server's end or mine. I'm having issues where I'm frozen for several seconds between taking any action and these freezes come very frequently.

Rakkoth
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Rakkoth » 03/09/13

I was playing fine last night - But today it tried to update (I think?) then gave an error and closed the launcher during. The pack wouldn't work at all, so I tried removing and re-installing the pack. "Error parsing platform response" is what I get when I paste the huggable-mix address into new packs. :V

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 03/09/13

From Twitter:
There are multiple issues right now with Platform, we are aware of them and apologize for the inconvenience.
And now they claim things are back to normal.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 03/13/13

I found some odd platform that seems to spawn wisps, sometimes blue, sometimes purple. (-1020, -524)

also, an odd looking block I don't seem to know. (-1003, -534)

Just take the bridge rail from the pyramid, it runs right by that sunrise mountian shack.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 04/05/13

That is very pretty Erithe!

Hmm.. I have been looking to possibly upgrade the server, but with our current load of plugins, each with dependencies, that might be a trick. I'm particularly suspicious of forestry which requires us to modify the root jar file, which to me just seems stupid...

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 04/05/13

eef, seems everyone wants you to stuff things in the Minecraft_server.jar.

Though forestry is still on 1.4.7, so no moving over till all the mods are 1.5.1 ready.

I am playing with a dummy version of the server to test with ( yay for VMs! )

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 04/07/13

None of our three major mods (Redpower 2, Forestry, Thaumcraft 3) are 1.5 compliant yet, so I'm guessing it will be at least a month or two.

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 04/08/13

https://attackofthefanboy.com/news/hors ... ecraft-16/

So ... horses! :D

Also, if you happen to need to do work on any of the stuff I've built on the Elsewhere line past the Elsewhere station to the West ... be careful. I accidentally used Stone Monster Eggs instead of Stone Bricks. They're nasty.

So. Be careful out there. >.>

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Re: Fort Huggable: Server & Updates

Post by Tenebrae » 04/09/13

1.6! Look for that sometime in 2014, if their 1.5 schedule is any indication. Not that we're on 1.5 yet...

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 04/11/13

I plan to do some cleaning up of the world once a few programs reach 1.5.1 parity.

The Road Ahead

Server Update: Move server to 1.5.1 once Forestry, Thaumcraft, and others have full 1.5.1 compatibility. Be wary trying these out yourselves, I saw some fakes posing as 1.5 updates. who knows what they are.
Edit world in McEdit: de-icing and sea level fix for starting areas. Maybe some editing to smooth out jagged walls on chunk boundtries. Waiting on Mcedit 1.7.
Clean up biomes: Some of the starting areas biomes are really fracked, but I can change them so we don't get more snow and the area is a bit more sensible. Erithe pointed me at a nice biome painting program. The old zones need to not be ice mountians, or have river biomes running through the mountians.

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 04/11/13

Some particularly egregious chunk boundaries can be smoothed, but I think we should keep the old water level and weird biomes in the pre-release areas. Some structures would appear strange without it, and the ice ocean is a truly unique feature of the server. There's nothing like it in normal minecraft. I know if the ice ocean were gone the Sunrise Express rail would look bad, though, so perhaps I'm biased.

If we are painting biomes, I'll definitely want to make more biodomes before that happens, so we can paint them to match their fake biome.

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 04/11/13

I'd be happy just to have my area de-iced. I'm sick of snow. It wasn't snow-bound when i started building. :(

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 04/11/13

phpBB [media]

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 04/11/13

Erithe wrote:I'd be happy just to have my area de-iced. I'm sick of snow. It wasn't snow-bound when i started building. :(
True. I suppose my perspective as a late-comer is that what happened to Fort Huggable happened hardly anywhere else. If we're going to continue running the server part of the charm is in the legacy weirdness. Trying to make it appear 'normal' is bound to cause us a lot of pain and trouble and potentially only make it look stranger, and not in a good way. Like plastic surgery.

We could have a normal server at a moment's notice, by starting from scratch.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 04/12/13

De-icing and fixing Erithe's area shouldn't be a problem. Mcedit's replace tool is really handy for those operations. You also have to paint the biome since several spots are considered "Ice mountains" or frozen river... and the ice and snow will just come right back.

Eh... I have too much time on my hands right now. I need to go work on php. I've been bored out of my skull lately.

One thing I did read about, you can force thaumcraft to add nodes and ore to old zones. I was trying to grow some nodes into my area.

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 04/12/13

Adding nodes to areas is boss. I'm sure Tomias would appreciate one at his castle if you could do that.

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 04/12/13

Yeah, when I say my area, I just mean my castles and Cambridge ... not the ice sea or the snow nearby it ;) From what I saw of the painter, it's possible to just paint the biome out of one area and leave it in others, if that's what you would want to do.

Ijaka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Ijaka » 04/12/13

I wouldn't mind if a node could be added back to the basement of my base in Twilight Forest (the one near the original portal). Not entirely sure how but the big, juicy dark node that I built the base on top of completely vanished.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 04/12/13

Not really sure how to locate and buff up a node, I guess growing silverwood would help. I stuffed a couple trees in the direction of a node, or at least I think a node (wand starts recharging over close to the chickens behind my area.)

The poke at the configs would just tell the server to repopulate where it thought there should be some. You might get a really nasty node, or no node at all depending on what the settings are. They recommend backups first (which I have been doing).

The problem is that it would do it everywhere, and I'm no expert in what having a node near you would do, are these magic nodes safe as long as you don't do magic? or do random weird things spill out?

Perhaps this might shed some light. It seems that nodes draw opon other nodes to "recharge" and don't get magic for free.

https://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thread ... nics.7792/

The only real way to get more vis is to explore more, generate new area, and let your old nodes draw vis from new ones. That is kind of depressing.

Kesstryl
Visitor

Post by Kesstryl » 04/22/13

Would you guys mind if I joined you? My Minecraft name is Kesstryl. I've been without a server for a long time ever since my brother got busy and took his dedicated server down due to having a baby.

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 04/22/13

Fort Huggable was built for the Raven community :) Come on over! The only real rule we have is that we find our own spots on the map to build and try to work together if our areas start bumping at all. In other words, so long as we all respect each other's work, we're good *wink*

Kesstryl
Visitor

Post by Kesstryl » 04/22/13

I will be good, all I need is the side of an inconspicuous hill and some trees, and I'll be a good little woodelf (my skin is a female Link, and I do RP as a woodelf trying to preserve nature, building grottos and ponds, making my home in a hill like a hobbit, all for fun)