[STO] Star Trek Online News & Discussion

For players of many different games!
Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

[STO] Star Trek Online News & Discussion

Post by Psia » 07/17/12

As of April 25th, 2017 Cryptic Studios pushed ahead with its Season 13 content update.

HELPFUL LINKS:
  • Features Matrix and Download for STO
    PWE is now requiring the ARC download to play STO. MAC support did at one time exist, but Cryptic Studios did away with it come 2016. However, console support for both XBox and Playstation 4 is available for 2017.

STO News Direct link to PWE news page for Star Trek Online.
Star Trek Online forum Cryptic Studios original forum communities have been merged under the PWE umbrella. Our STO Community Manager is PWE's LaughingTrendy with two volunteer community moderators.
Star Trek Online Wiki administered by STO player's RachaelGarrett, PhrexianHero and others.
STO @ Reddit A safe place for speculation, leaks, etc, beyond the terms of service for the official STO forum.
Dilithium 101 Dilithium is a time-based currency purchase various things ranging from new ships when the player reaches a new rank to quality space or ground equipment.
Cryptic Studios Game development company for Star Trek Online. Owned by Perfect World Entertainment as of 2012.
STO Podcasts a guest blog laying out the wide variety of both video and audio podcasts created by player's of STO.
Streaming Radio
  • Subspace Radio the Voice of Star Trek Online since December 2009.
    Trek Radio originally started as STO Radio in June 2010. Live DJ's, interviews with a range of Star Trek and Sci-Fi celebrities, convention coverage. DJ's often host in-game dance parties - with character shout outs - from several STO social zones.
JAYCES's Interstellar An in-universe publication about the history, politics and starships of @trekonlinegame. Run by @thomasthecat. Canon if you want it to be.

Roleplay Resources
  • Roleplay Fleets (with RM related player's who we know):
In Star Trek Online, the Star Trek universe appears for the first time on a truly massive scale.

In this free-to-play massively multiplayer online game from Cryptic Studios, players can pioneer their own destiny as Captain of a Federation starship. Or they can become a Klingon Warlord and expand the Empire to the far reaches of the galaxy. With our latest expansion, players can work to rebuild the Romulan legacy as a member of the Romulan Republic.

Players will have the opportunity to visit iconic locations from the popular Star Trek fiction, reach out to unexplored star systems and make contact with new alien species. With Episode Missions, every moment spent playing Star Trek Online will feel like a new Star Trek episode in which you are the star.

Immerse yourself in the future of the Trek universe as it moves into the 25th century: a time of shifting alliances and new discoveries.

You Are The Captain
Star Trek Online is the first AAA MMO to feature space and ground combat at launch.

Missions take you and your friends into the depths of space, across exotic planets and even inside starships! As the Captain of your very own ship, it's up to you to lead your crew on missions that span a number of locations. You call the shots, no matter where you are.

When you're in space, you direct the action - be it in the middle of a high-tension battle, where you can maneuver in 3-D space and fire a vast array of weaponry at your enemies, or as you enter warp to explore parts of the galaxy never before documented.

On the ground, you lead your away team across exciting terrain, interacting with allies and battling enemies. Every Captain commands four subordinates on the ground, all of which can be directed to act in any manner you choose. Can you lead them safely through dangerous locales?
I don't know who else may be playing STO as well. I have a small fleet formed. Called Contra Costa Colony.

I've yet to decide if the Season Six update will result in a similar social result as EQ2's guild halls.
Last edited by Psia on 12/16/14, edited 38 times in total.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Re: Star Trek Online: Season Six

Post by Duvessa » 07/17/12

How can they already be on "Season Six"? Didn't this only come out a year or so ago?

Tanaii
Pranceless Muse

Post by Tanaii » 07/17/12

Two and a half years ago! It was released in Feb 2010, which is sorta funny because I always think it's been out a lot longer.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/17/12

Duvessa wrote:How can they already be on "Season Six"? Didn't this only come out a year or so ago?
I posted that too quickly this morning. A season is a quarterly systems-specific update to the game. Mostly additional systems (in this case, Starbases) and tweaks to old ones (Foundry UGC). Not necessarily what player's consider a content update with extensive missions (quests). Like a television season, the three-four months from now may see content updates and further tweaks until Season Seven enters the pipeline.

This is the first season update benefiting from a larger Dev team than they likely had since launch. From beta into the two year mark, Atari was too busy playing tiddly winks with their only MMO property to fund it properly. Then when Atari got itself neck deep into bad decisions it sold its only really profitable asset - Cryptic Studios - to Perfect World Entertainment last summer. Freezing any new hires for months during transition. As Devs continued to migrate as they do in the industry, Cryptic couldn't replace them. So the team got smaller.

Next on the understood list for Season Seven is an exploration system update. One that a game called Star Trek needs badly. It has elements of this presently. Just not nearly enough.

Below is a fun player blog which runs about 11 minutes. Remember that Star Trek is an international phenomenon. The hosts English isn't always perfect.

phpBB [media]
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Zilvrae
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Zilvrae » 07/18/12

Psia wrote:Atari was too busy playing tiddly winks with their only MMO property
Tiddly winks might have been an improvement.

Back in Bata, I got a lifetime sub. The game was unfinished but had alot of potential. But both Atari and Cryptic pissed that away. Yeah, I'm not holding Cryptic blameless. They had a senior producer who would get pissy over any criticism. The worst I saw was when they added ship interiors. What they implemented was ginormous cathedral-like monstrosities that not only had nothing to do with anything shown in the series, but had nothing to do with common sense. But when people questioned Cryptic's sense of scale, whether politely or not, their senior producer had a public hissyfit over it.

In the meantime, I'm sure he was secretly laughing so hard he wet himself watching griefers harass people by using cryo-grenades and tribble-shooters on them constantly.

And anyplace people found to hang out and socialize, Cryptic found a way to break.

Yeah, I haven't played on the live server in probably over a year now. I could log in anytime, with a lifetime sub, but not inspired to. I did play on the test server a bit during their big test of the F2P transition, though. The solo collectible card game (Duty Roster, I think it's called) might have been fun, but nearly all the available missions required specialized cards (crew) that I didn't have. No doubt a blatant push to make me buy card packs. For the rest, meh.

Psia wrote: I've yet to decide if this new update will result in a similar social result as EQ2's guild halls.
Any social result would have to be an improvement. STO is one of the more anti-RP MMOs out there.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/18/12

Okay. Clearly we had a different experience.

While I'm not going to claim that its the perfect Star Trek game with sunshine (strong sense of exploring strange new worlds) and lollipops (Roddenberry's world of peace), I do find fun in it. I was there for closed beta myself. I suppose for many veterans of that time, Cryptic will never shake the business decision to agree to make the game in two years time. Which is all on the shoulders of defunct Perpetual Entertainment. For having the license for something like three years with only photoshop mock-ups to show CBS. They hadn't even started the engine. CBS would likely have shelved the license long enough to produce a game based purely upon J.J. Abrams interpretation of the setting. So Cryptic offered to do it within only two more years by using their own Champions Online engine as its core. Something already done to build upon. Might have been a little crazy to have signed on for that. But it got a game launched. In two years.

As far as public roleplay goes, it's hit and miss. Mostly due to the larger social zone, Earth Space Dock, being coded as a free-for-all in the beginning. It still has a character limit of 75 per instance. Those cryo-grenades? Let me tell you about those. It was not the Devs who fell victim to them as often as roleplayer's fell victim to them. And if a Dev did bother to host a social event, they were far more concerned with the player's being grief than themselves. Many items of that type are disabled in those zones from the get go now.

It also has helped that there is a [sarcasm]wonderful [/sarcasm] group of MMO players who call themselves The Goons. Some of whom dominated a Fleet (guild), called Starfleet Dental. Whose purpose for fun is to rain on roleplayer's parades. No matter how general or innocent the gatherings may be. They go so far as to stealth join the RP guilds with alts, get the details of events, then show up en mass to grief it to death. Just because they can. There were indications of this as recently as last week. They know that we know. And just don't care. Say what you will about SOE, but it's GM support is superior to many companies.

I agree the initial starship interiors were poorly implemented. Which falls on the games producer for not permitting the Art Team to have enough time to fashion them correctly within the limits of STO's use of the Champions Online engine. Same core. But different directions. The only good thing being that the swappable Bridge modules and deck floor samples were free (as in no real world cash) through in-game energy credits easy to come by. Those interiors are often the only means of going private to avoid the griefers. Which hid away much broader RP happenings. Now how do you grow a community capable of supporting a Festival of Unity? At this point, we can't.

As with most MMO's now, STO is dominated by it's cash shop. There are two, interior bundle packs sold there. The Original Series starship interior. Which we got before Cryptic changed hands. And the Defiant (DS9) interior which we got after Cryptic changed hands. Both designs had the same limitations as the previous offerings. But with time given to accommodate those same limits with useful art to mask them properly. The barn doors at every entrance are in the past. And there are drop ceilings in corridors. So it can be done. Impressive offerings were spread out so far that veterans weren't as impressed. It all took too damned long. I think of those interiors as diamonds in the rough.

The change I'm awaiting - and many are awaiting - will be the better tools for The Foundry. Primarily meant for Neverwinter. The Foundry is for DMs to fully design adventure modules. Expanding on the Neverwinter Nights player-generated content community. STO has a working version. But not tricked out enough yet to permit our designing our own, customized starship interiors. I think this will still come.

Overtly scaled interiors are more consistent on a Starbase. So it's easier to buy into that reality for RP. Character limit in the zone is around the same as ESD (75). However, Fleets can have up to 500 characters. Assuming you actually had 500 player's behind those, you could never share the Starbase at the same time.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/19/12

For fun and giggles, here are some unfortunate examples of random name generation for the Duty Officer system. These have since been snagged and renamed. But some of us preserved their memory. As they served our crew well. :P

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/19/12

Psia wrote:It also has helped that there is a [sarcasm]wonderful [/sarcasm] group of MMO players who call themselves The Goons. Some of whom dominated a Fleet (guild), called Starfleet Dental. Whose purpose for fun is to rain on roleplayer's parades. No matter how general or innocent the gatherings may be. They go so far as to stealth join the RP guilds with alts, get the details of events, then show up en mass to grief it to death. Just because they can. There were indications of this as recently as last week. They know that we know. And just don't care. Say what you will about SOE, but it's GM support is superior to many companies.
Wow. And why would I want to play a game that allows this?

Zilvrae
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Zilvrae » 07/19/12

Tregarde wrote:Wow. And why would I want to play a game that allows this?
Kinda my point. I have a Lifetime subscription, and I don't play. Simply going to the bank was a gamble on whether or not that instance was being griefed. Getting permanently frozen in place by 2 twits lobbing cryogrenades, with my only recourse being to log out for the night. Yeah, bundle of joy. And griefing is a perfectly valid playstyle, based on enforcement.

The only reason the Devs would put something like that in the game, and leave it working like that regardless of complaints, is because they must have been laughing their asses off.

Add to that, development work that, if it wasn't specifically for their microtransaction store, was half-assed at best. Really, Cryptic had the dubious honor of making SOE look good by comparison.
Psia wrote:Those interiors are often the only means of going private to avoid the griefers. Which hid away much broader RP happenings. Now how do you grow a community capable of supporting a Festival of Unity? At this point, we can't.
I dispute the suggestion that private instances impede the growth of a RP community. EQ2 has had private instances, i.e. player housing, since launch. And it's the only MMO I've played where a Festival of Unity is possible.

Private instances are what allows a RP community to grow. There's people hosting taverns every night of the week. In contrast, look what happened with the Blood Haze Inn. Nostalga aside, was it ever a good place to RP?

Mahamari
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Mahamari » 07/19/12

Zilvrae wrote:Kinda my point. I have a Lifetime subscription, and I don't play. Simply going to the bank was a gamble on whether or not that instance was being griefed. Getting permanently frozen in place by 2 twits lobbing cryogrenades, with my only recourse being to log out for the night. Yeah, bundle of joy. And griefing is a perfectly valid playstyle, based on enforcement.
Cryptic does the exact same thing (i.e., nothing) in Champions Online. Back when I was playing they'd put in an automated gag-system to let players deal with goldspammers without having to go to the trouble of actually hiring customer service reps: if a handful of people report an account for spamming, they're auto-silenced and unable to speak for a set period of time. So of course the griefers got together and made it impossible for anyone to hold any kind of public event by gagging the organizers. When I'd stopped playing, people had begged for Cryptic to remove this for months and they hadn't even bothered to respond. As far as I know, it's still going on.

IMO, Cryptic makes very good games with awful (more to the point, non-existant) customer service.

Kiarryn
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Kiarryn » 07/19/12

I wonder if these "Goons" are the same Goons that are in EVE. They basically have a giant Alliance with so many corporations of loyal sheep that they can organize attacks on just about anything they want. CCP has a pretty hands off approach to PVP (only one server, and it's basically a free for all).

The most recent heartburn they caused was posting and event called Hulkmageddon, where they were offering handfulls of ISK (gold) for those who posted a confirmed Hulk kill. The problem is, Hulks are expensive mining ships, and miners are OFTEN peaceful. They claimed that HiSec miners were carebears, because Concord comes in and kills anyone who attacks ships in HiSec. The only way to get kills in HiSec is via suicide kills, get in and alpha strike the ship, then lose your own ship. So, suddenly us peaceful miners were constantly having to worry about suicide gankers. HiSec is supposed to be the place you can go for lower, but steady income. It's always been a tradeoff.

CCP has responded by creating a new style of mining barge that will have a heavier tank and other benefits, making it much harder to gank peaceful miners.

If it's the same "Goons", I really feel for you.

Tanaii
Pranceless Muse

Post by Tanaii » 07/19/12

"Goons" are a collection of people from the Something Awful forums. So yes, they could be the same people, but Something Awful forums do have a lot of people. Not that I'm defending them in any way, more often than not when they get together in MMOs it's for their benefit alone - the rest of the community is their playground.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/19/12

That wasn't my point of this thread. I'm not saying, 'HEY! Since we're RP friends, I think you should give up something good and come spend your money over here instead!" But I decided to start a thread as others have for the other games being played around the RM community.

F2P trends had started. But weren't the industry standard it seems to be now when I bought a lifetime sub for STO. I learned through Norrath just how immersed I can get in an MMO. During my earliest days of being unemployed I chose to invest as such to avoid paying monthly for as long as possible. So I made the leap. My lifetime subscription paid for itself months before Cryptic/PWE pushed their own F2P conversion. I got what I paid for and I find that gets me grief at times in the STO community. Whatever. :roll:

As Zilvrae and other STO veterans have pointed out, it's been played by others and found wanting. That lifetime investment didn't pay for itself. I already know Antonia Bayle player's at STO. This thread is simply reaching out to see who else might be out there. You know and I know that even my own words aren't selling the game to anyone. While I'm confident of my own initial investment, it only worked due to when the game was new.

Today's lifetime or monthly subscription incentives are only worthy of recommending to my enemies. :twisted: So just play for free, ignore the cash shop because you don't need it. However, I'm more than happy to forewarn those who would set-up shop to see it for themselves.
Zilvrae wrote:I dispute the suggestion that private instances impede the growth of a RP community. EQ2 has had private instances, i.e. player housing, since launch. And it's the only MMO I've played where a Festival of Unity is possible.

Private instances are what allows a RP community to grow. There's people hosting taverns every night of the week. In contrast, look what happened with the Blood Haze Inn. Nostalgia aside, was it ever a good place to RP?
Specific to Everquest 2, I agree that player-housing is well done and has even provided me with a finely controlled environment from which to hold an RP event. While additional staff are helpful, I can manage to carry my event solo due to the limited instance. However, what we have on AB are tools to make multiple, privately hosted events practical. Our channels, our player-written books, ect. Good tools, too. And boy are we spoiled by that.

Guild halls in Norrath, IMO, were a horrible mistake.

I don't distinguish starship interiors and starbase interiors from the guild halls of Everquest 2. The original starship Enterprise (a small vessel even in STO) crew numbered at 400. The STO starbase, while obviously larger, holds less than a quarter of the 500 maximum guild roster capacity. So neither lend themselves to hosting Star Trek events beyond limited circles. Currently, the open social zone are:
  • Earth Space Dock
  • Starfleet Academy
  • Deep Space Nine / Quark's Bar
  • Deep Space K-7
  • Drozana Station
  • Planet Risa
  • Planet Vulcan
  • Planet Andoria
  • Planet Defera
  • First City
  • Klingon Academy
  • Ganalda Station
Each can support 75 player's per instance. Including RP griefers who player's can't boot. But as described in an above post can be silenced.
Kiarryn wrote:If it's the same "Goons", I really feel for you.
Yes. The Goon Squad is cross-platform and drawn mostly toward PvP. And I dare say have been represented in Norrath over the years. It's definitely the same set of people. Goon Squad had learned that PvP in STO isn't all that. So they choose the next best target. The public roleplayer's who like to do things on a neutral, Ferengi operated station, called Drozana. They ruined a memorial that was being held for a player who died. And are proud of their accomplishment. The above observation that Cryptic has little GM support is accurate.

Zilvrae
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Zilvrae » 07/19/12

I fail to see why guild halls are a horrible mistake, while player housing is not. Guild halls are bigger houses, controlled by a guild instead of a single player. They've allowed the creation of larger venues, such as Maiden's Fancy.

As for zone limits vs. crew capacities of fictional ships, how many of the Enterprise's 400 crew complement were ever shown during the run of the original series? Only a small fraction of the interior of the ship and its crew were ever represented by sets and actors.

Even in TNG, where they increased the ship size to 1000 people, and had a much larger budget to work with, did we ever see much of it? How about Deep Space Nine, a space station that dwarfs any starship in size? How many people were in Quark's at the same time?

Every zone you listed depicts only a small fraction of the physical space the real thing would take up. And really, how many RP fleets have 75+ active members?

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/19/12

Zilvrae wrote:I fail to see why guild halls are a horrible mistake, while player housing is not. Guild halls are bigger houses, controlled by a guild instead of a single player. They've allowed the creation of larger venues, such as Maiden's Fancy.
With the exception of tier 3 guild hall, those settings are all indoors. The prestige homes might be a step in the right direction. Some at least offer the illusion of an open outdoors from which to build from scratch. But even they are limited in item counts and character capacity.

Yet we don't host Festival of Unity from within a Tier 3 hall. Or host events which require hopping from prestige home to prestige home. Maybe after this year we will? Depends upon the quantity of RP support, I suppose.
Zilvrae wrote:As for zone limits vs. crew capacities of fictional ships, how many of the Enterprise's 400 crew complement were ever shown during the run of the original series? Only a small fraction of the interior of the ship and its crew were ever represented by sets and actors.

Even in TNG, where they increased the ship size to 1000 people, and had a much larger budget to work with, did we ever see much of it? How about Deep Space Nine, a space station that dwarfs any starship in size? How many people were in Quark's at the same time?

Every zone you listed depicts only a small fraction of the physical space the real thing would take up. And really, how many RP fleets have 75+ active members?
STO isn't a television series. And needn't be limited by the a six to eight member main cast. With one or two guests characters per week. Star Trek fandom is global. And the various gatherings of fans are untapped. I know people who won't bother with any Star Trek game until it permits all of their friends to share as crew of a single starship. That is an expectation had from veteran player's as well. Which caused some to walk away from the game.

Not exactly encouraging anyone to play the game am I? :wink:

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/19/12

Psia wrote:
That wasn't my point of this thread. I'm not saying, 'HEY! Since we're RP friends, I think you should give up something good and come spend your money over here instead!" But I decided to start a thread as others have for the other games being played around the RM community.
I understand that. And normally I try not to rag on a game that someone else is enjoying, we all have different tastes and like different things. Something based on Star Trek should be a place that welcomes roleplayers. But reading that these Goons are allowed to be complete assholes and nothing is done about it has pretty much destroyed what little curiosity I had in STO.

Anastarisa
Patron
Patron

Post by Anastarisa » 07/20/12

Psia, I play STO here and there, as part of a Federation Fleet (Praetorian Terran Consul), comprised of individuals fleeing the Mirror Universe to this one. I poke my nose in a couple of times a week to work on building up resources for our Fleet base, perhaps we can do some missions sometime.

Kosovos
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Kosovos » 07/21/12

For a time I also played this game, However i saw nothing but anti Rpers and greifers, thus immediately left after getting one to the max level.

I alsot played CO, until when they released something they hyped for everyone was released only to exclusive people, (the ones who have been playing since it's release) and Gave newer players a middle finger.

So, That made me drop Cryptic overall. It was cool while it lasted but, their customer serve is extremely horrible.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/22/12

Anastarisa wrote:Psia, I play STO here and there, as part of a Federation Fleet (Praetorian Terran Consul), comprised of individuals fleeing the Mirror Universe to this one. I poke my nose in a couple of times a week to work on building up resources for our Fleet base, perhaps we can do some missions sometime.
I've seen the Praetorian Terran Consul around before. I hadn't realize it was RP or it's story. It certainly makes sense under the circumstances.

The game looks to be fleshing out variants of Federation starships interpreted more in-line with how this newer Terran Empire would build them. And makes sense with the 30 year back story of Smiley (Mirror O'Brien) having stole Defiant's plans (during DS9) to start a new fleet. There are also options now to acquire one of the Mirror variants for your shipyard. With the gold Terran Empire customizations as well.

Cryptic Studios wrote:From now until around 10am PDT on Tuesday, July 24th, to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Star Trek: The Next Generation, we’re running an in-game promotion where you can unlock free, special costume options for your characters*. Open your Mission Journal (default key “J”) to accept a mini-mission that will ask you to go to speak with Worf in the Holodeck of either Starfleet or Klingon Academy. Complete this mission and unlock the following rewards:

Federation male and female characters:
  • TNG Season 1 Uniform
Klingon and Federation male characters that have hair options:
  • Worf’s short hair and warrior goatee from TNG Season 1
Klingon and Federation male and female characters:
  • Worf’s TNG Season 1 style Uniform Sash
Today, I've been logging in on each of my 8 character's to lay claim to these free rewards. Fun stuff. The dialogue for Season One Worf is different for Federation or KDF factions. While he isn't voiced, I could hear Dorny's deep voice. I can finally give baldrics to my Federation-Klingon bridge officers. I got tired of KDF roleplayer's arguing against our having those. As we roleplayed traitors to the Empire. "Who is the traitor? Us or that petaQ who claims to be Chancellor of the High Council?", I said. :P

Zilvrae
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Zilvrae » 07/25/12

This thread had gotten me curious about how STO stands now, so this week I patched up and logged in.

First, all my skills had been reset, and the game was being obnoxious about demanding that I re-spend my points. Any attempt to do anything else would pop up the skills window, and it wouldn't let me save until I'd spent all my points. On the positive side, the new skills system is simpler, with much better explanations on what the skills do. So I had no trouble deciding where to spend my points.

While standing around dealing with this, and then playing around with the Duty Officer minigame, I did not become the victim of cryogrenade armed griefers, as was common the last time I played. There was one yoyo who wanted to jump on my head while blaring a noisemaker, easily ignored, but that's all. Oh, and two people who invited me their fleets, without saying a word. Just the accept/decline popup. Like I'm going to join a fleet that recruits like that :roll:

Then down to Starfleet Academy to go talk to hologram Worf, for the TNG 25th Anniversary event. Short, but well written. The dialog really fit the character (on the Federation side; I'll get to the Klingon Empire version in a moment). There's also a couple of little daily lore missions in Starfleet Academy as well. One gives you a little piece of STO lore, and the other is a quiz on Star Trek lore. Nice to do while there.

Now for the Klingon side. My Klingon got bumped up to Commander (level 21). Why create more KDF PvE content when you can just start them at a higher level instead?

For the TNG 25th Anniversary event on the KDF side, most of hologram Worf's dialog was different. It didn't match the character, but rather it matched the current distain for the Federation that the High Council is promoting. That was a pretty good touch, actually.

The Klingon Academy also has its version of the two little lore missions, but they're both broken. The consoles you need to interact with aren't working. I tried asking about this in the RP channel, STORP, but instead of an answer I got snark. Then the channel got spammed with lists of what's currently showing on Netflix. I ended up turning the channel off. The people in Zone chat were vastly more helpful and informative.

That leads into my negative impression on the RP community there. There isn't one. The STORP channel has nothing to do with RP anymore. The site https://www.sto-rp.com was last posted to 5 months ago, and has been effectively dead for considerably longer. Checking the official forums in the fleet recruitment board, I went through the first 5 pages or so, looking for posts by RP fleets. I found only one, which only uses ship interiors as a visual backdrop for a purely chat-based game, using none of the game mechanics in STO, and wants nothing to do with any other fleets in the game.

In short, the game has improved quite a bit, but there's still a problem with broken content. And RP has died off, to the point I don't think it can be brought back, even if the new fleet starbases work just like EQ2 guildhalls. Which I'm not betting on. Anyway, I'll probably log in occasionally; it's free and not horrible. I'm not expecting to do more than just some solo content though.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/25/12

Zilvrae, I'm glad that you took another peek. Season Six has been up about a week now. And player's are finding old bugs have resurfaced here and there. The KDF Academy bugs appear to be new since the patch. Which is indicative of testing not being done long enough on the Tribble server. Of the KDF player's (including myself) willing to test the Starbase system, I doubt any of them visited the Academy during testing. There wasn't any reason to.

Yeah. The KDF faction has always been a chicken or the egg quagmire. Early on, I felt that Cryptic should have stuck with maintaining it as PvP only. And make that work with light PvE house intrigue as backstory. Saving detailed PvE mission content for the Federation (which does include Federation-Klingons). Instead, they tried to please everyone. Which backfired. Especially, when Cryptic gave in to player feedback asking for Federation vs. Federation PvP at the same time.

When PWE bought Cryptic, the original premise was that they wanted to better fund more Devs to secure the KDF faction fully. This premise shifted dramatically when F2P hit later. The Egg in the room was that previous consolidation of the mission content to Level 23 upward. So new, free player's couldn't even try the KDF until reaching Federation level 25 on one character. So, duh. Spreadsheets indicated not enough play in KDF. This resulted in Dev time shifting (again) toward the majority of Federation player's. But they do still want to finish the faction.

What's interesting is that the KDF got a much needed player boost with the introduction of the Ferasan species. Recall that the Romulans were originally Vulcans who chose to part ways and establish elsewhere? The Caitian (a Federatiion, felinoid species) parted with the Ferasans to establish their own society. More player's find playing Ferasan more interesting than an actual Klingon. The Ferasan Shadow Force is a Ferasan-only fleet. Who roleplay as well as group often for task force and starbase content. They show no signs of slowing down. While I love Klingon lore, I'm thinking most player's in a Star Trek setting were never that much interested in it. But most are interested in wider lore of Federation species and the species added to the KDF faction. At least that is how it appears to me. So when and if they set aside a block of Dev time for the KDF PvE missions again, I'd suggest focusing on the Orion, Lethean, Gorn, and Nausican allies to grab player interest.

I highly recommend to the curious that they read over some of Terrilyn Shull's weekly STO blogs. They are through Massively.com. She is honest about her passion for the game. Including the blemishes over time.

Linian
Resident
Resident

Post by Linian » 07/26/12

IMO, Cryptic makes very good games with awful (more to the point, non-existant) customer service.
BTW Maha....I'm a GM/CSR for Star Trek Online and believe me, it's there, it's just inundated with requests for player help.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/27/12

Linian wrote:
BTW Maha....I'm a GM/CSR for Star Trek Online and believe me, it's there, it's just inundated with requests for player help.
I feel for you, Linian. I don't know if you can elaborate? Any chances your department may get additional staff and better tools to support the players? Or are we stuck with skipping Cryptic to go straight to PWE support?

Anastarisa
Patron
Patron

Post by Anastarisa » 07/27/12

Vis-a-vis the Praetorian Terran Consul, using exclusively ship models from the Mirror Universe is not required However, we do have our own Fleet emblem which reflects the Mirror Universe origins of the fleet founders. The PTC generally follows Starfleet regulations for 'this' universe, but can sometimes be a bit more aggressive than Starfleet command likes.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/27/12

State of the Game: July 2012

Spoilers: