[MC] Fort Huggable: Minecraft Server

For players of many different games!
Beldhyr
Resident
Resident

Re: Huggable Part Deux

Post by Beldhyr » 09/09/14

Looks like Sengir is working on it every Friday/Saturday. It's exciting that it's coming along, but we've waited this long, we can wait a while longer. When I first started playing I was skeptical of mods in general and Forestry in particular (most blurbs about it focused on the superfluous multi-farms), but it's worth the wait just for the number of added blocks and textures. I've even taking to using the farm control blocks for building, since they use a base block and add a simple design to it (See the shutters on Bloodstone Keep).

As for a hang-out day, that would be neat. Depends on schedules, though. I'm east coast, third shift. But if we do get together, would it just be hang out online and work on our own projects, or a community build, or just a hang-out, or a train station/auto-farm showcase/explanation?

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 09/10/14

I read that the new Forestry also has an additional mod you can add for more bees. I believe it's called "Bees Bees Bees".

Beldhyr
Resident
Resident

Post by Beldhyr » 09/10/14

The most popular add-on I've seen of that sort is "Extra Bees." When I was first figuring out the bees, many species from that mod were listed as Forestry, so it made things confusing for a while.

If we were going to do an add-on mod to Forestry, though, I'd go with Extra Trees or something similar that adds new types of placeable block rather than just more bees, combs, and tedium. (Although the bees would produce things like diamond eventually, it's just too much).

But I don't think we'd really want an add-on to an add-on. That'd be that much longer to wait for updates. And really, we already have 30+ types of plank and tree trunk.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 10/09/14

Okay, I have done the preliminary testing for the server, and.. now that we have a STABLE version of forestry out, have implemented it. The mod load is the same, though with some recommendations, an added fastcraft mod to help smooth out some lag issues. I might drop the server view distance a notch to help with that if we still have some excessive lag.

I hope to get a full backup and update the server in the next day or so. If we do want to add some bees, we can give it a go, I just want to test it out.

But we're on the way to move to 1.7.10.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 10/09/14

Whew! I think I have it licked.

I had some trouble with the init script for some reason not liking the change in startup names. (new 1.7 forge calls the universal jar and uses the static minecraft server jar, so I had to re-edit the init scripts to deal with the name change AND create a symbolic link)

The good: New Minecraft 1.7.10 features, forestry is updated, and Twilight Forest is up dated too!

I forgot to wipe the forest data, but will test that later tonight depending on the overall stability of things.

The bad: Rei Minimap isn't up to date to 1.7.10, the author hasn't done it, but there are people who have released a version themselves. Might look into that, not sure. Depends on if people would like it back for sure or the mod author's wishes.

The Future: If people really want extra Bees or trees, let me know, I can do some local testing with a copy of the world. I flirted -Briefly- with the idea of adding thaumcraft again, but I kind of want to keep the mod load low on this world. Too many and it can get bogged down horrid by slow or non-existant mod authors. Like with the main Fort huggable I would have to rip out all the Redpower2 stuff to move it forward. Adding these should be pretty easy, the heavy lifting to 1.7.10 is done.

The Weird: While I have not heard any opinions from anyone on the primary fort huggable. I keep it running to keep everyone's creations. I reduced the ram but it should be fine. Updating it to 1.7.10 would be doable if we nixed the redpower2 stuff, but I think only a few people made things from it. The crazy thing, Eloraam is coding for it again. WIERD. If anything takes shape, it might JUST move ahead.

Beldhyr
Resident
Resident

Post by Beldhyr » 10/09/14

Well this is great news :)

My suggestion on the "extra" mods: Yeah, keep it trim for now. If we decide we want them, we can add them in the mix when more people have exhausted the existing run of bee/tree breeding. Right now, I think I'm the only one with all the trees and I'm content with what I have.

My thoughts on the mini-map: This is a highly practical mod to have. I hope we get it back.

Short-term to-do list for me:
Figure out if stained glass changed.
Find new flowers!
Find a mesa to clear-cut for clay.
Find new trees; make space for them in the Tree Hive.
Check for new breeding lines with the new trees.
Oh yeah...also explore the (new) Twilight Forest!

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 10/10/14

Just a note before bed.. as per our discussion earlier:

Build #241 (Oct 10, 2014 9:25:57 AM)

Changes

Fix #280, crash on viewing the name of research notes from 1.6.4

But its in the unstable tree, how bad do you want to clear out old notes?

Beldhyr
Resident
Resident

Post by Beldhyr » 10/11/14

I'm in no hurry.

I ran across a Forestry villager today, and it offered a bee princess for sale, which was called "item.for.beePrincessGE.name".

I also finally found a flower forest :D

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 10/11/14

He actually offered a princess with a funky name? huh. It might need reporting, dunno.

I'll check back over the weekend unless it starts to annoy. I can swap out the forestry later if it bugs you.

Beldhyr
Resident
Resident

Yeah, that was the name it gave.

Oh, another thing...about the vanished farm control blocks, do you think I should wait to replace them? There's 198 of them, and if we're going to update our version of Forestry later, I don't want to replace them just to have them poof again. Then again if it was just a data value change, chances are they won't go anywhere this time.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

I highly suspect the farm control blocks changed in some way, that instead of having bugged old versions, it fixed it by removing them. Sadly forestry doesn't have a forum to ask on, but the IRC sometimes has people awake to ask about.

At this stage, Forestry is in the stable release channel, so 90% of the changes are in. Unless a bug in farm blocks makes ones created in 1.7.10 unviable or bugged in some way, you should be fine replacing them.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Oh yeah. went ahead and re-added Rei Minimap and fixed the note bug. There weren't many changes from the stable version to the current one, so I'd call it good to move to.

Beldhyr
Resident
Resident

Great :)

As far as the rough transitions, you can see them on the overview map. As far as what to do about them...if you want to play around with cutting out unused areas I'm all for that, because the new areas are potentially much cooler. But for the most part, we should probably let people who eventually build in those areas deal with the issue.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

I tried removing area in mcedit, and while I can and reload it, I think it would just make the transitions worse.

Unless we have spaces that we can cut off altogether and minimize the transition zones, It might not be worth trying. I can certianly reshape some land in the transition areas with MCedit, but there are areas that were land that change into water, and vice versa. I think most areas that protrude are taken up by people and might not be so easy.

Still, if anyone has any suggestions of things to trim to get more 1.7 area closer to our buildings, let me know, I'll do some testing and see about posting a map of the results up. That way we can all look at what would be returned.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

On second thought,

I want to try cutting out some of the northern border ocean. Hopefully I can find some good overlap that won't be so jarring, and that gives us more area to play with. Unless someone wants to claim the area for use as an underwater kingdom or water world setup, I can trim it down a bit.

Beldhyr
Resident
Resident

Post by Beldhyr » 10/13/14

However you see fit :)

To my way of thinking, the sheer cliffs on the borders can be fixed by whoever decides to live in those areas, and the closer they come to where we've already built, the more likely I am to fix some myself. I've done some extensive smoothing and landscaping on the area outside my keep, and I'd imagine anyone building near one of these edges would do the same--or they might incorporate parts of the cliffs into their design. The one thing that won't get repaired over time is the biome borders. There's always going to be a harsh border between snow and rain. Maybe trim some of the snowy biomes back where they don't cross into another snowy area?

The taiga to the east of Rakoth's area could be cut out. It has a harsh border on one side and a jungle on one side, trimming it out might be a good thing.

The taiga/jungle area even further to the east from that one could be cut out. Around 1700, -1400.

The two tundra areas beyond those to the east could be cut. They both look like random peninsulas. Actually you could leave the second one since it looks relatively normal in terms of island shape.

My reasoning is this: If any biome besides a snow biome forms a harsh border, it can be fixed in-game and over time. If a snow biome forms a harsh border, it's always going to be a line of white-to-green on the map. But it also depends on how much work you want to put into map editing. :p

Beldhyr
Resident
Resident

Post by Beldhyr » 10/14/14

In unrelated news, I built a melon factory today.

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 10/14/14

*eyes Beldhyr* What -kind- of melons?

Beldhyr
Resident
Resident

Post by Beldhyr » 10/14/14

The square kind.

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 10/15/14

Okay. Whew. Thought you were growing cantalopes. Blegh.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 10/19/14

Oh, Just a note.

The fastcraft mod is designed to speed up both the server and the client, I was hoping to see if anyone gained anything from the new version, but from what I heard moving to 1.7.10 did increase the demands a fair bit.

I did notice on my client I had some graphical weirdness, but that might just be my driver as I didn't see it on another PC. dots and lines along the block edges far out, as if they weren't overlapping properly.

Beldhyr
Resident
Resident

Post by Beldhyr » 10/22/14

And now I have Tricky Bees! 'Tis the season :D

Beldhyr
Resident
Resident

Post by Beldhyr » 11/04/14

Finally got my disappeared farm control blocks replaced :)

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 11/04/14

Nice!

I've been going around doing a bit of tweaking. I did some re-painting of biomes in that empty space that was not explored, but I populated it and it came up pretty starkly different. So I repainted it into a ice desert. Whee..

There are some edges I need to clean up in the painter to be sure... but carving the landside to be a bit more agreeable is making it a touch slow. Get that done first, see how the rest goes.

The biome painter still works for some regions, the new ones aren't in it yet.

Tomias
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Tomias » 11/16/14

Just an FYI... clicking on steadfast bees to put them into the special bee chest.. causes you to crash out of the game...