[MC] Fort Huggable: Minecraft Server

All manner of fun stuff!
Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Re: Huggable Part Deux

Post by Shizouka » 11/22/14

Tomias wrote:Just an FYI... clicking on steadfast bees to put them into the special bee chest.. causes you to crash out of the game...

Mmft. I updated to the latest stable for forestry, let me know if it happens again and I'll file a bug report.

I also updated forge to the latest recommended.

Beldhyr
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Beldhyr » 11/22/14

ALL mod blocks just vanished. I was off mining and died...and respawned in the smithy...and all the lower walls, upper beams, roof, etc, was gone. (Chestnut logs/stairs from Forestry, Mazestone Brick from TF). Also, in my keep, ALL the floors (Palm/Chestnut from Forestry IIRC) and walls (Towerwood from TF) were gone. So all the things *on* the walls (mostly item frames) were dropped suddenly as items.

I noticed while mining that there seemed to be a lot more little holes in the ground. Fact is, that was the despawning of Forestry ores (again).

Hopefully we can revert to a previous save?

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 11/22/14

Oh Frick. Okay. I'm on it.

Edit:

My goof, I misdid a symbolic link. always be careful using tab-complete when linking stuff.

Restored from last night's backup, refinished links and permissions. Up and running clean.

Note: New Forge and new Forestry in place. Let me know if we have any bugs?

Beldhyr
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Beldhyr » 11/24/14

Everything looks good so far :)

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 11/24/14

I had the sever down some on Saturday putting in a few fixes to the terrain, was also experimenting with tidying up some of the landscape up north, some deleted chunks gave us a bit more land, I just need to craft some sides and tidy that big cliff.

I also cleaned up some of the biome borders, but there are still quite a few to do. That is the SECOND part of it, snow biomes next to others leave big lines of snow along the edge.

The snow desert is a bit cleaner now for edges, next time I work I might clean up some borders better though.

It is perfect for a ice palace if anyone wants to build there though.

Beldhyr
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Beldhyr » 11/24/14

Now that there are two shades of ice, an ice palace would be interesting--and challenging, since the light level has to stay between 8 and 10. (at 7 monsters spawn, at 11 ice can start melting). Not volunteering to build one myself...there's so much to do around Bloodstone Keep, and I keep coming up with new things to do or redo all the time. :p

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 11/25/14

Beldhyr wrote:Now that there are two shades of ice, an ice palace would be interesting--and challenging, since the light level has to stay between 8 and 10. (at 7 monsters spawn, at 11 ice can start melting). Not volunteering to build one myself...there's so much to do around Bloodstone Keep, and I keep coming up with new things to do or redo all the time. :p

Well, I've been deleting chunks from areas unused. mostly places that people flew over before 1.7. Its looking better. I think I have a process down that works well and quick for edits. I'll lay off the rest of the night.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 11/25/14

Aha!

Well, I downloaded the map and did some local pruning to try to get an idea what the map would look like pruned down from some of that older pre-1.7 area out east. Its a bit close to Tomias's area, so I wanted to run this by him and anyone out that area.

Keep in mind these are proposed changes, showing the difference the new way the seed is interpreted to "reduce ocean worlds" in world gen. It will give us a lot of the newer area and new flora and biomes as well, so keep that in mind.

I did see two small shacks out in this area, so I wasn't sure if those were on the table or not, this at least lets us know what things would look like.

Its a GIF, showing both layers of what is current, and what it peels back as. If we want to draw the line anywhere, we can, and just smooth out the edges.

Spoilers:

Beldhyr
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Beldhyr » 11/27/14

Some apparent changes and/or bugs....

Teak trees (For.) are producing lime wood. (I tested lime trees as well, which are producing lime wood as normal.)

The fire swamp biome (TF) does not have the distinctive red coloration.
The swamp biome causes you to have Hunger upon entering, instead of being an effect of mosquitos.
The fire swamp biome causes you to catch fire upon entering.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 11/27/14

Beldhyr wrote:Some apparent changes and/or bugs....

Teak trees (For.) are producing lime wood. (I tested lime trees as well, which are producing lime wood as normal.)

The fire swamp biome (TF) does not have the distinctive red coloration.
The swamp biome causes you to have Hunger upon entering, instead of being an effect of mosquitos.
The fire swamp biome causes you to catch fire upon entering.
Wow, a number of issues. Where do we have a fire swamp?

Edit: oh Twilight forest, Might have to report to them too!

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 11/27/14

Bam! Fixed.
mezz commented an hour ago

Wow, confirmed. Weird.
Thanks for the report!
mezz commented an hour ago

Fixed in the latest unstable version.
They were actually growing with Lime wood! Good catch.
#292 (Nov 27, 2014 8:42:47 PM)

Fix #344 Teak Trees have Lime wood (commit: 328b9e8356fa2f6345150a3934bcde1e2c561fcd) — mezz / githubweb
Minor tree cleanup (commit: cfbde3eb83fa460f35350e4f8e9f6c04465735a9) — mezz / githubweb

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 11/28/14

I did a bug report on the Apiarist's chest thing Tomias, I had to find which chest it was and get a bunch of data for them.

I did a backup of the world first, and tested several things. Turns out it looks like an old chest placed down with bugged info, and the upgrade to 1.7.10 did not count for the difference in entity data.

To sidestep it, I broke open the chest and placed a fresh new one, and put your bees back in. It shouldn't crash for you anymore, but just in case, once the fix is in , I'll update us.

Edit: Checked and there was a new patch with the fix. It worked fine, any other bugged (heh) Apiary chests should work fine now.

Beldhyr
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Beldhyr » 12/01/14

A large number of saplings have spontaneously changed species. I did a bit more looking, and they are hybrids, but the name/icon of the sapling is using the secondary species instead of the primary. It's not a big issue, and I don't know what type of tree would turn up when planted. Might be worth passing on to the devs, though.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 12/01/14

Oh bugger, that reminded me to check. Seems that bug might have been related to another that was fixed later.

I updated, things running again. I am hoping we'll get a clean stable build soon.

Beldhyr
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Beldhyr » 12/02/14

Recent changes to Bloodstone Keep:

Shepherd's Crossing no longer has rainbow sheep in pens. Instead it has rainbow sheep in holes, inside the "Upper Priory Textile Mill."

Both Shepherd's Crossing Station and Market Street Station (the two outdoor stations within the walls) have been upgraded. They now feature cart dispensers, runaway cart catchers (sends them to the dispenser), and automatic track clearing (removes cart from track and puts it into the dispenser when you leave).

Finally, the Embassy has partially been repurposed. The west wing now houses starter kits for new players, a chest full of goodies including portal materials, several tools, food, and the basic six trees (plus a 2x2 wenge tree with a high sapling drop rate). It's nothing completely over-the-top, but it will help a new player spend less time mucking about in the dirt before they can really build.

Beldhyr
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Beldhyr » 12/02/14

New discoveries about Forestry:

Forestry stained glass and 1.7 vanilla stained glass are separate blocks. Both still exist in game, which means we have 32 colors of stained glass. Only the vanilla version makes glass panes. The two variants of each color have the same name and a very similar texture (based on unstained glass). The difference tends to be that the Forestry version has more distinct outline and streak lines, whereas the vanilla is much lower contrast and softer looking. (Edit to add: only vanilla stained glass can be silk-touched. Forestry stained glass just breaks. It's also harder to get :( )

Tin, Copper, and Bronze can now be made into blocks! (same recipe as iron, etc.) Not only does this mean more storage space, it also means three new placeable blocks, and that's always exciting. ;) Oh yes, also Apatite can be made into blocks...now I have a reason to find the stuff. :p

Also new to this version of Forestry: fireproof wood blocks. I haven't figured out the how-to yet, though. It actually seems like it might be a genetic trait that can be bred into trees.

Just discovered while looking up the stuff above: Forestry leaves can now be sheared! We can now get all those cool looking leaves to use as decorative blocks--shrubs, hedges, what have you. This was a serious disappointment to me when I started forestry. Note that leaf blocks that are placed will not pollinate/mutate, they are for decorative purposes only (so there's no weird genetic manipulation farms made of curtains of leaves, I guess).

Tomias
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Tomias » 12/02/14

Yeah found out about fireproof wood by accident... I was using the sequoia trees to work up by charcoal reserves. finished cutting down a tree and then found out none of it would burn down into charcoal... :( ah well.. oh all my waypoints vanished somehow. :( so still working on getting things removed from that one area before you redo that terrain....

Beldhyr
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Beldhyr » 12/03/14

Found a bug: In the Worktable, when you have one type of wood stair in the crafting grid and shift-click to craft all possible, it will use another type of wood. E.g. if you put Kapok stairs in the grid and then put Larch (and no Kapok) into the storage area, it'll use the Kapok. If you put in two other types of wood it will only use one type (the first) and if any of the first type is left over, it will act like it's out of wood when you try to make more, but will use the second type when the first type is removed.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 12/03/14

Tomias wrote:Yeah found out about fireproof wood by accident... I was using the sequoia trees to work up by charcoal reserves. finished cutting down a tree and then found out none of it would burn down into charcoal... :( ah well.. oh all my waypoints vanished somehow. :( so still working on getting things removed from that one area before you redo that terrain....

I wonder how the fireproof wood might work with lava. As for waypoints, I think that is local, not handled on the server side, odd though. I have to make sure I have mine, I think I lost mine a while back and forgot to replace them.
Tomias wrote:so still working on getting things removed from that one area before you redo that terrain....
...eek.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 12/03/14

Beldhyr wrote:Found a bug: In the Worktable, when you have one type of wood stair in the crafting grid and shift-click to craft all possible, it will use another type of wood. E.g. if you put Kapok stairs in the grid and then put Larch (and no Kapok) into the storage area, it'll use the Kapok. If you put in two other types of wood it will only use one type (the first) and if any of the first type is left over, it will act like it's out of wood when you try to make more, but will use the second type when the first type is removed.
Is it supposed to take all the wood you have? or just use the quantity of wood types presented in the worktable? Sorry I am trying to figure out how to phrase the bug to them clearly.

I also will have to check over the glass stuff...

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 12/04/14

Well, those two bugs are fixed in the latest release, if its annoying for the wood or glass I'll update the server, but might wait to see any other bugs pop up. I was curious about the stained glass since we have regular minecraft stained glass. They might remove it, dunno.
mezz commented 2 hours ago

We should probably remove the stained glass. It's more expensive than vanilla's by far, and I don't think it has any special properties that make it more desirable.

I'll get some second opinions on that though. In the meantime it's really easy to make it work with silk touch so I'll do that.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 12/04/14

Good News Everyone!

Seems the Twilight forest being dangerous is part of the new "Enforced Progression" of the world. Defeating things like Naga and other beasts have to come before others like lich towers.

Soooo... I for the moment disabled that, unless people want it on for the TF achievements.

Beldhyr
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Beldhyr » 12/04/14

Oh, well, that's...interesting. It's a neat idea, and part of me wants to say it's good, but...it's not. Having constant hunger when passing through a swamp? That's a lot of food. Catching on fire in the fire swamp? It's a biome, not the event itself, there's no boundary, no change in grass or anything. Besides, I've defeated almost everything at least once (the Ur-Ghast didn't spawn for me and there are new things to figure out, so I haven't done everything, but I've done a lot).

I was just doing some reading, and this enforced progression is pretty awful. You have to get some kind of soup from the labyrinth to turn off the fire...something from somewhere else to turn of the hunger in the swamp (which is where labyrinths are now instead of plains, apparently). The act of actually exploring is almost impossible. Dark forests blind you. Highlands apparently have acid rain, which damages you underground, too.

But hey, it's a switch, so leave that doomswitch in the "off" position. :)

I'm still disappointed by the change (intentional or not) in appearance to the fire swamp. It was one of the coolest-looking, most distinct biomes in TF, and now it's just a swamp. I woulda had one in sight of my portal, too.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 12/05/14

Yeah, its not a real fire swamp, since its just an area you're supposed to unlock in the new version first to be able to enter.

very odd though. I have to set it manually. I just need to make sure the config is set to auto set this value.

aaaand minecraft' site is behaving badly and I can't log in to game.

Beldhyr
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Beldhyr » 12/05/14

There's a hydra there, and fire jets, and smoking blocks. I'll go back and check, but I'm pretty sure it's a "real" fire swamp biome.