Dragon Age: Inquisition "A World Unveiled" video

For players of many different games!
Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Dragon Age News & Announcements

Post by Erithe » 07/30/13

More news to come as I find it. Please start a new thread for discussions.

Wikipedia Article / http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon_Age:_Inquisition

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/06/10/drago ... fall-2014/
EA revealed Dragon Age: Inquisition is an open-world RPG coming in fall 2014.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... nquisition
He was asked whether BioWare knew how it would tackle saved game imports in light of Dragon Age Inquisition also appearing on new consoles - new technology.

"We know what we want to do," he said. "It will absolutely come across - your decisions carry [and] will matter." But he could say no more.
How BioWare will right the wrongs of Dragon Age 2 is a familiar question levelled at the studio. But it wasn't all bad, as the team reminded us, and Dragon Age 2's finer points haven't been overlooked during the design of Inquisition.

"Both games had great points to them," said Patrick Weekes. "Both games had things people want an improvement on, and both games had areas where they excelled."

The fast and fluid combat in Dragon Age 2 was one of those, for Weekes, and it helped move characters better around the space. "I wouldn't want to lose that," he said. "What I would want to do is make sure DAI still allows the more tactical options that Origins had."

However, he conceded with a wry smile, something like reused level art won't happen again.

What also won't happen again is having a silent protagonist as in Dragon Age 1. Hawke wasn't perfect in Dragon Age 2, but that was only a first attempt. And people liked it, apparently, liked the responsiveness. But whether you'll be able to choose a voice in DAI or even choose a unique first name were things BioWare couldn't discuss.
Probably no modding - so far:
The other point of note, besides some discussion of the trailer shown at E3, was about modding and whether it could be supported properly in Dragon Age 3.

"We've talked about it," Cameron Lee said, "we've looked into it, but I mean the Frostbite engine: it's very hard to do that stuff.

"Maybe we'll do something on that, I don't know, but it's a lot of effort to put something like that together in a way that all fans can use it, not just your hardcore game students or game developers."

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... nquisition

They're using the new Frostbite Engine:

http://kotaku.com/5964700/you-can-thank ... y-sex-plot

Women at the table for DA3 Storytelling and decisions ... very cool!

Morrigan in DA3 is part of the Empress of Orlais' Court. :D Rumor has it that her son is a major part of the new storyline.

More news to come as I find it. Please start a new thread for discussions.

Kerris
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Dragon Age: Inquisition "A World Unveiled" video

Post by Kerris » 08/20/13

phpBB [media]

This may be me reading a bit more bitterness in than is necessarily supported, but this is my take-away from this remarkably bland checkbox of by-the-numbers "quotes"...

Sorry about DA2! It was foolish of us to place you in a situation your magical Protagonist Aura couldn't fix and a lead who could actually be said to have both a character and an arc! Forget that whole "morally ambiguous conflict based in systemic societal problems bigger than you no matter how many monsters you killed, requiring a fundamental rethinking of cartoonishly oppressive dogma that no one is willing to undergo," thing. Here, have some demons and a conventional save-the-world plot. Everyone loves killing demons, right?

Your protagonist can be anything, thereby safely being nothing! You can change the world through sheer Protagonism!

Please take us back. We'll never deviate from wannabe-BG2 again. We're sorry. We're so sorry.

Dixon
Patron
Patron

Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition "A World Unveiled" video

Post by Dixon » 08/20/13

I really have to agree on the bland checklist notion. The number of quotes and banal blather about choice is so five years ago. This could be a commercial for any game, any modern game at all.

And, I have come to realize that "non-linear storytelling" is just another way of saying, "We have a multimedia version of single player Risk", at best. At worst it means that players are free to do spastically repetitive grind-quests in any order they like.

I would rather the straight-line storytelling of the Half-Life series. Where I journey from chapter to chapter, playing out a decent story with no filler, than the "non-linear" option, that lets me meander through a fog of irrelevant missions.

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 08/20/13

Some people liked DA2 and some people didn't. Others liked DA:O and others didn't. They were both good games.

I, for one, am looking forward to DA:3 because it's less specific and promises to have more story threads to explore. If you don't like it ... well, don't play it.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 08/20/13

Games are always a take it or leave it option. The commercial itself, judged as a commercial, or advertising infomercial, was pretty blandly generic. A bunch of talking heads going on about promises about choice and "taking the genre to new places", which is something they are always promising. When I look at the video, I am thinking less about the game, and more about the genericness of the talking heads. I've never played any of the DA games myself, just watched them. But I know from game infomercials.

I can't draw any conclusions or commentary about the game itself, but I can say with surety they need a new advertising guy. :)

Kerris
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Yeah, a lot of game press releases really frustrate me to no end because of how bad they are at communicating real information to get people excited. This was definitely a pretty sub-par release.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 08/20/13

Kerris wrote:Yeah, a lot of game press releases really frustrate me to no end because of how bad they are at communicating real information to get people excited. This was definitely a pretty sub-par release.
Probably important to consider the industry age as a whole. The gaming industry is new on the scene compared to movies, and makes less money than movies do, and is going to get the low end of the media sales talent. A lot of places are just tapping their internal A/V teams, and what comes out often looks like a video for a corporate workshop. Could they do better? Sure... but that takes more money, more talent, and the realization that you should have both. You have to know a video is not good enough before you can think to hire someone better.

I had this issue a lot where I used to work. We're put out some lame video for our web product, and people could just not SEE how desperately much we needed to be doing something better.

The game may genuinely be a massive step forward in the evolution of X gaming technology. But it you make it sound generic, and corporate, nobody will see it for what it is. I think as the industry gets bigger and bigger, the advertising talent pool will come more into play, and the promos will be slicker.

Brighthawk
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Brighthawk » 08/20/13

Kerris wrote:Yeah, a lot of game press releases really frustrate me to no end because of how bad they are at communicating real information to get people excited. This was definitely a pretty sub-par release.
Because game press releases are not there to communicate real information, they are only there to generate hype to get you to pre-order or first day buy without any solid consumer basis in the product.

Kerris
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Brighthawk wrote:
Because game press releases are not there to communicate real information, they are only there to generate hype to get you to pre-order or first day buy without any solid consumer basis in the product.
The best way to generate hype is to convey real information. Carefully tailored, perhaps, but to not show your wares betrays a basic lack of confidence in them.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 08/20/13

Kerris wrote:The best way to generate hype is to convey real information. Carefully tailored, perhaps, but to not show your wares betrays a basic lack of confidence in them.
I would caution against this kind of assumption. What is shown, and how, is often a decision of people behind a camera, or in an editing room. Many awesome movies have been financial bombs for no reason other than someone did not know how to advertise them. You can't assume a game sucks because it's advert sucks.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 08/29/13

BioWare just announced Dragon Age Keep. In a nutshell, it's a program that lets you edit/create a "save game" to import into Inquisition, even if you haven't played the previous game(s).
Within the Keep, you’ll be able to customize a Dragon Age historical world state to your exact specifications. How did you modify your Warden and Hawke? Who were your companions? Who did you choose to romance? Who rose to power, and who fell in defeat? What legacy did you leave?

Within the Keep, you’ll be able to customize as much or as little about the world of Thedas as you wish. Then you’ll be able to import your saved world state into DAI at the start of a new game. Have you lost or corrupted your save files? No problem — remake your world state on the Keep, and preserve it for the future.
https://blog.bioware.com/2013/08/28/the ... -age-keep/

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 09/01/13

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

If you have not played DA:O or DA2, DO NOT WATCH THIS VIDEO. :)

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/10/13

DA:I is having a survey asking about preferred gameplay.
https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/DAIcombatgameplay

Aethos
Resident
Resident

Post by Aethos » 10/15/13

I'm pretty late to this thread but I wanted to post abit:
Sorry about DA2! It was foolish of us to place you in a situation your magical Protagonist Aura couldn't fix and a lead who could actually be said to have both a character and an arc! Forget that whole "morally ambiguous conflict based in systemic societal problems bigger than you no matter how many monsters you killed, requiring a fundamental rethinking of cartoonishly oppressive dogma that no one is willing to undergo," thing. Here, have some demons and a conventional save-the-world plot. Everyone loves killing demons, right?

Your protagonist can be anything, thereby safely being nothing! You can change the world through sheer Protagonism!

Please take us back. We'll never deviate from wannabe-BG2 again. We're sorry. We're so sorry.
My interpretation is that this is a sarcastic vicarious apology you wrote indicating you liked DA2's story.

Which is fine. I liked DA2. I didn't think it was horrible, but I really don't think it lived up to DA:O at all. DA2 had some great sub-plots, but I personally feel that the delivery was less-than-stellar. The game had that problem that some games with great potential can sometimes have - they don't really make you care about the protagonist. For most of the game I basically felt like an errand boy. Granted I was doing it for a very direct reason - for money, to get a better place for my family. But that's kind of...y'know, generic. And it doesn't help with the errand boy feeling.

Granted, I started to really get sucked in and feel good about Hawke toward the end of act 2, but I had to play through MOST OF THE GAME before I cared. Before that he was just some refugee, and he was just getting money for his family, and he didn't particularly strike me as a heroic character with a personality that brings you in. And the story was, while "realistic" (within the context of this world), it was very generic (again, within the context of this world) for a long time. It had good parts and an overall good story, though not as good as DA:O, but it did have its problems.

I felt similarly about Ezio's story in Revelations. Strong start, strong ending, streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetched beginning. Overall the story was good, but I acknowledge that it wasn't as good as past installments, and imo was a significant step down.

So I guess that's what it boils down to for me. DA2 was definitely good (imho) but still a noticeable step down from its predecessor.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 12/06/13

Not exactly Inquisition news, but still DA related... they have plushies!
You can get them here:
https://sanshee.com/store#Plushes

Sairina
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Sairina » 12/11/13

amg, plushie mabari!

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 02/05/14

Like cosplay? Like cosplaying Dragon Age? Or know anyone who does? Bioware is now making 'character guides' that show the costumes in Inquisition in great detail. They include color swatches, close ups of the decorations, etc. First up is our favorite witch, Mo!

https://blog.bioware.com/2014/02/03/fro ... cter-kits/

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 03/06/14

DA:I showing off the new Frostbite engine
phpBB [media]

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 03/10/14

While I agree that DA2 rates below DA:O's storyline, I still enjoyed the hell out of DA2. And the importance of the events in the game can't be ignored, either. While the game's setting was smaller scale, it's plot is clearly something that shakes the entire game world. It's more of a "setting the scene" game when it comes down to it. But the story was fine on its own, too. Not great, but not terrible.

What I did enjoy more about DA2 was the combat. It's an epic fantasy game, and the combat felt more like it than it did in DA:O. More flashy and actiony, and I liked that. I'm not saying DA:O was bad in that area, just IMO DA2 was more enjoyable.

The only big hangup I have over DA2 was the amount of map recycling that they did. Blocking off a section of the same cave you've used 5 times before and calling it a new area doesn't cut it. DA:O did this now and then, but quite sparingly really. DA2 was horrible about it. But that wasn't enough to kill the game for me. I don't think that, overall, DA2 deserved even a quarter of the flak it caught.

Rakkoth
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Rakkoth » 03/10/14

Calris wrote:The only big hangup I have over DA2 was the amount of map recycling that they did. Blocking off a section of the same cave you've used 5 times before and calling it a new area doesn't cut it. DA:O did this now and then, but quite sparingly really. DA2 was horrible about it. But that wasn't enough to kill the game for me. I don't think that, overall, DA2 deserved even a quarter of the flak it caught.
From what I've been told, DA2 was made in basically 8 months, owing to the apparent thought of 'Gotta ride that gravy train while the gravy's still warm.' While I'm part of the crowd that enjoyed DA2, I still acknowledge that it had some big problems (like the map recycling issue that was just slipshod and lazy,) and wholly blame EA. Thankfully DA:I has a considerably longer development time, and this will hopefully result in something more in line with DA:O.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 04/22/14

Dragon Age: Inquisition coming October 7
(one week before my birthday, hint hint)
phpBB [media]

Also, Kotaku has a good look at what exactly DA:I will be about.
https://kotaku.com/bioware-returns-to-i ... 1565980004

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 04/23/14

Everything I've read from outside folks getting to look in on the DA:I development at conventions, etc., has been really good. So I'm REALLY excited for 10/7 to get here. More Varric. And, apparently, more Alistair :D *drool*

Ijaka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Ijaka » 04/23/14

Has anything been said about how this is going to be available yet? I'm leaning toward giving them a second chance, but I'd rather shave with a cheese grater than install Origin on my computer again.

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 04/23/14

No, no word on that.

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 04/25/14

Yeah...much as my new laptop is an improvement over my old desktop, it's still not running that. ><