Dragon Age: Inquisition "A World Unveiled" video

For players of many different games!
Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Re: Dragon Age: Inquisition "A World Unveiled" video

Post by Tregarde » 04/26/14

Ijaka wrote:Has anything been said about how this is going to be available yet? I'm leaning toward giving them a second chance, but I'd rather shave with a cheese grater than install Origin on my computer again.
Does this answer your question?

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 04/26/14

Tregarde wrote:
Ijaka wrote:Has anything been said about how this is going to be available yet? I'm leaning toward giving them a second chance, but I'd rather shave with a cheese grater than install Origin on my computer again.
Does this answer your question?
But we're not sure if the digital download will be available independent of Origin or not, or even if you still have to register the game in Origin when you buy a physical PC copy. So, it answers what formats are available, but not whether Origin will be involved or not - which, I think, is what Ijaka was asking.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 06/12/14

phpBB [media]

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 06/13/14

Yeah. As much as my current system is an improvement over my old, I think it'll self-destruct if I try to run this game on it. :p

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 06/13/14

i need to get a new graphics card by October ...

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/24/14

https://www.dragonage.com/#!/en_US/news ... ion-update
From Mark Darrah, Executive Producer of Dragon Age: Inquisition

I’m writing to let you know that Dragon Age: Inquisition has a new release date of November 18, 2014 in North America (November 21st in EU). We appreciate the enormous support we’ve received from all of you to get to this point, and while this extra few weeks may not seem like a lot, I know the game you’ll play will be all the better for it.

Since we began working on Dragon Age: Inquisition almost four years ago, our goal was to create the best Dragon Age experience ever. It was that goal that motivated many of our decisions: moving to Frostbite, bringing race choice and customization back, improving tactical camera, building a team of characters whose relationships evolve based on your actions, and most importantly, crafting an epic, nation-spanning story that both draws upon past games and takes you to many new places in the realm of Thedas.

I’m privileged to be a part of a team that has been working very hard to surpass every measure they’ve set for themselves. That has meant completing huge amounts of game content, fixing bugs both big and small, and improving the overall experience. This last bit of time is about polishing the experience we want you to see. Ensuring that our open spaces are as engaging as possible. Strengthening the emotional impact of the Hero's choices. And ensuring the experience you get is the best it can be in the platform you choose to play on.

Thank you again for your patience and support!

Rakkoth
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Rakkoth » 07/24/14

I'm okay with the postponing. There's a lot of games dropping in October - Shadows of Mordor pops immediately to mind - and getting a bit of time to try and finish them is great.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 08/13/14

phpBB [media]

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 09/04/14

Adjusted Release Date: November 18, 2014 in North America (November 21st in EU)

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/29/14

Dragon Age Keep beta is now live.
https://dragonagekeep.com/
Dragon Age: Inquisition comes out on November 18th, but don’t worry, Heroes of Ferelden! If you’ve forgotten the whole storyline, played the original two games on different consoles, or have just never played any Dragon Age before and want to catch up, the Keep is available online for free now.

Dragon Age Keep is basically a world state customizer, where you get to go through the stories of the first two Dragon Age games and all their related DLC, and make every choice in the game. If you’ve never played before (or if it’s been a while) some of the smaller choices might take some Googling, but it’s worth it. Even if you import save-games, though, you still have to go through and re-select all your choices!

When you make your way through the whole Keep, you’ll have a fully-personalized Thedas. All you have to do is click “Export to Inquisition,” and your new game will be ready to go—exactly the way you want it.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 11/11/14

This guy reviewed an advance copy of Inquisition. The short version: It took him 85 hours to finish a single run, and he knows there's still much he hasn't seen. The world is HUGE. Many things to do. Excellent voice acting. People will debate which is better, Origins or Inquisition (it's that good). The advance copy was also buggy, but hopefully most will be fixed at launch (and expect patches, of course).

11 Things You Should Know About Dragon Age: Inquisition
https://kotaku.com/11-things-you-should ... 1657127952

Rakkoth
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Rakkoth » 11/12/14

IGN put up a review as well - 8.8, excellent RPG, kindof vague/confusing main storyline, a plethora of things to see and to do and to have done to you. I believe it took them 90 hours.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 11/19/14

Tips For Playing Dragon Age: Inquisition
https://kotaku.com/tips-for-playing-dra ... 1660270767

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 11/24/14

A weekend of DA:I, and so far I am enjoying the game a lot. Having huge, open zones to explore is a vast improvement over the previous games. Plus the designers have done some incredible landscaping. And it's so wonderful to finally be able to jump and not be hindered by a even a small rise that would only stop a cripple. So far the writing and voice acting are perhaps the best out of a Bioware game. Lots of very distinct, memorable characters (Sara! Iron Bull!). No opinion about the overall story yet since I'm pretty early in the game still.

But I do have a few criticisms...

DA:I really assumes that you've played the previous games, and watched Dawn of the Seeker. While this isn't a problem for Dragon Age vets, I can see how it might be off-putting for someone new to the franchise. I think they could have done more to ease people into the setting.

While I have no problems with the game jumping right into the action, I do feel like you are given too much authority too quickly. Once the Inquisition is formed you are essentially in charge, despite being surrounded by others who have had years of experience leading. Your character is the outsider, you don't know anyone there, whereas the others have known each other and even worked together before. It would have been nice if the Inner Circle "asked for your opinion" more at first, maybe even making a decision that goes against your choice, to give the illusion that you grow into the position of leader.

The UI could have used work. I am not fond of the way you scroll though item lists in the Inventory and crafting screens. These really could have been made much easier and more intuitive to navigate. I also don't like how you have to zoom in and scroll around on choices when picking skills - why can't you see the whole tree at once?

The Search function is alright, but I prefer a "highlight nearby items" function that works for as long as I have the button pressed.

The War Room map is kind of neat, but it would be nice to see some sort of feedback what you would get from each agent so you make a more informed choice who to assign to a mission.

Character creation is fine, but why is the lighting during creation completely different than anything you actually encounter once you start the game? I had to delete and re-make my character because that "perfect" look came out horrible after I left creation customization (most of all, the eye-shadow that was subtle in creation was suddenly bright and gaudy!)

At least on my rig, the game is very stable, only one freeze over 30-ish hours of play! BUT... the sounds, especially voices, seem like the volume is turned down 50%. I've checked forums and I'm not the only one this is happening to. No idea what is causing this, and so far no solutions that have worked (other than turn my speakers up). Oddly, this doesn't seem to be confined to just the PC version.

And, of course, once again I can not romance the character I most want to while playing a female hero! Why must I replay the game just so I can give Cassandra some cuddles? (Though I'm likely to do so anyway, to see the different reactions and conversations from playing a mage, and a different race)

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 11/26/14

https://twitter.com/dragonage/status/53 ... 44/photo/1
All great teams of heroes need time to unwind after closing a giant hole in the sky. #DAI
Does this look familiar? You don't think... perhaps...

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 11/26/14

I really need this game. I really wish it had a demo so I could be sure of how well my system will handle it. That canirunit website doesn't seem to detect my laptop's hardware right. Several games it says I can't run work just fine on my system.

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 11/27/14

If this helps, I'm running a lower-end system and I've managed to set the game up with not too much trouble. You -have- to have a quad core for this game to run properly:
  • GPU: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
    CPU: Intel Core i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz (Quad Core)
    RAM: 6 GB
My system has a little bit of halting and stuttering here and there; however, if you leave your game file at it's current state, even a monster rig will fail. Bioware/EA locked the game at 30 FPS and haven't delivered a fix. There's a way around that, though.

You have to go to your main game directory, create a desktop shortcut of the executable file, go to the shortcut and click into Properties, and add -GameTime.MaxSimFps 60 -GameTime.ForceSimRate 60+ after the quotation marks in the Shortcut tab / Target: field. I switched mine to 40 b/c 60 made my system choke a little.

Brighthawk
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Brighthawk » 11/27/14

Tregarde wrote:Character creation is fine, but why is the lighting during creation completely different than anything you actually encounter once you start the game?
SO MUCH THIS. I HATE THIS SO MUCH IN EVERY GAME EVER. I think it's because studios want you to feel epic and cinematic at the very start but you know what game designers this is not helping. uuuuuuugh.

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 11/27/14

Yeah, they really needed some kind of option to view your character 'in world' somehow before you started playing. I've had to restart the game way more than sanity allows now.

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 11/27/14

I think what throws System Requirements Labs' hardware stats is the video card on my system. Since often laptop video hardware apparently doesn't read the same way as desktop video hardware. Or the site just isn't set up to recognize it properly.

For the processor, system information says "Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4200 CPU @ 1.60 GHz 2.30 GHz"

...not sure which it is. I seem to recall I used to understand hardware specs once upon a time. :p I -think- if my search fu hasn't failed me that it's only a dual core. :( Still wish I could give it a test run.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 11/28/14

Performance is definitely a combination of CPU and GPU. It sounds like Eirthe and I are getting around the same level of performance, even though my CPU is only an i5, compared to her i7. But my video card is a new GTX 750, compared to her older GTX 560 (and for the record, I'm running at High graphics setting). The 750's are now around $100, so they are a pretty cheap upgrade if you have an older video card. No idea what the equivalent ATi cards are today.

And yeah, Calris, I looked it up and that series of i5 for notebooks is only a dual core CPU. Still, it couldn't hurt to look at what others have to say about how the game runs on their laptops.

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 12/15/14

Well it's finally cracked. And color me amazed, it runs. Now, like I said, I have a lot more tolerance for low FPS than most people. It hovers around 20 FPS on minimum settings, but, dammit, it's playable!

Now to buy it when the price comes down. XD

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 12/15/14

20 FPS should be quite adequate, especially if you run combat in Tactical mode.

Inquisition really has a great cast of colorful characters. And, later in the game, some really tough choices - the kind that aren't right or wrong, but do determine who lives and who dies. At one point I had to let someone sacrifice his/herself for the greater good. Later, I just couldn't let some character I liked become a sacrifice.

The only real complaint I have about Inquisition is that it has too much "filler" content. I love side-quests... but gawddamn, this game has a lot of them. And a lot of them are pretty trivial crap. I mean, really, here I am trying to save the world and some guy wants me to look for his missing goat? And then there's the mosaic pieces, bottles, and crystals... so many crystals. It wouldn't be bad if there were just 3 or 4 crystals per zone, but it's more like 12-20, and if you want to open the doors of some ancient temple you need multiple crystals... per door. AGH!

I'm still enjoying the game... but geez, some parts outside of the main quest could have used a little trimming.

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 12/15/14

I'm in play through 2 and I'm just not interested in crystals this time around. I can't make myself do it. Also, 2nd playthrough? Omg. There are so many things I missed the first time through!! O.o Crazy

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 12/16/14

Oh I definitely agree that 20FPS is fine. It's just that I see so many gamers that thing anything below 40 is unbearable. Bet most of them wouldn't even notice the difference between 30 and 40 without a side by side and FPS counter. Mine drops into the teens a lot but haven't seen it go below 15 yet. It's a bit choppy there but not so much that it's seriously interfering with the playability. Responsiveness starts getting a little sluggish though.

As for the filler side quests, I seem to recall Bioware specifically saying they don't expect you to do them all. That said there are a lot of gamers like me who hate leaving missions on their list unfinished.

So I had to roll a female inquisitor for my first. Cause Sera's a laugh and she's not into guys. XD