The Borderlands

For players of many different games!
Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

The Borderlands

Post by Tregarde » 12/09/13

Gearbox is teaming up with Tell Tale Games to bring us a new angle on the Borderlands franchise. Personally, I've put in way too many hours in BL2. Much as I've enjoyed the game, I have always felt it could use a bit more story telling. Now it looks like that is going to happen.

PS - if anyone wants to do some multiplayer in BL2, I'm game!
phpBB [media]
Last edited by Tregarde on 04/09/14, edited 1 time in total.

Brighthawk
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Re: Tales from the Borderlands

Post by Brighthawk » 12/09/13

WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I was seriously going to buy The Wolf Among us...then I heard Tell Tale was making a Game of Thrones games and was all pumped and NOW THIS!?

Borderlands without the shitty scaling in super high difficulty modes! I am SO SOLD

Ijaka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Ijaka » 12/09/13

Brighthawk wrote:I was seriously going to buy The Wolf Among us
Buy The Wolf Among Us. Though you could probably wait for it to go on sale again. It really is fantastic.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 12/10/13

I loved my first few hours of Borderlands, when I thought it was going someplace. Then the grind set in, and then the bitterness of reading the absolutely shitty ending. Then the sequel that didn't even let me play my character from the previous game and made a liar out of the previous game's ending...

I love Claptrap and everything, and the game did have some great moments at the start, but Borderlands really burned me badly. And this is maybe just me, because I am a very finnecky gamer, but it seemed like the first few hours were extraordinary, and they phoned in the rest of the game. It makes me very leery of buying anything more in the franchise. I suspect I am a minority here.

Baxter
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Tales from the Borderlands

Post by Baxter » 12/10/13

Telltale Games is making a Walking Dead style Borderlands game?! TAKE MY MONEY!

phpBB [media]

Rakkoth
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Rakkoth » 12/10/13

They're also doing a Game of Thrones one, too.

Baxter
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Handsome Jack>Joffery

Sharisnar
Resident
Resident

Post by Sharisnar » 12/10/13

I think I will happily miss out on both.

Game of Thrones isn't accurate to the book at times, heck in one episode it rather insulted the book it's based from. So no motivation there.

As for the other one... do we really need another zombie survival game?

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 12/10/13

I posted about this yesterday Multiverse. =P
viewtopic.php?f=278&t=33097

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 12/10/13

Lyah wrote:I loved my first few hours of Borderlands, when I thought it was going someplace...
Gearbox learned a lot from the first game and corrected a lot of the issues in BL2. There certainly is room for further improvement, but I did find BL2 to be a lot of fun. Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep DLC was a blast - it's almost worth playing BL2 just for that alone! I would recommend giving BL2 a try, even of only by playing on a friend's machine before you buy it yourself.

Or, you could just skip BL2 and wait for Tales.

Baxter
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Sharisnar wrote:I think I will happily miss out on both.

Game of Thrones isn't accurate to the book at times, heck in one episode it rather insulted the book it's based from. So no motivation there.

As for the other one... do we really need another zombie survival game?
this one dosen't have zobies to my knolage, it's just done in a way like tthe walking dead

Sairina
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Sairina » 12/10/13

If you missed playing the first TWD game from Tell-Tale, you missed one of the best video games ever written.

Rakkoth
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Rakkoth » 12/10/13

If you think Walking Dead is a zombie survival game, you are mistaken! There's definitely zombies in there, and surviving them is important, but it's much more about the still-living.

Mahamari
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Mahamari » 12/11/13

Sairina wrote:If you missed playing the first TWD game from Tell-Tale, you missed one of the best video games ever written.
Seconded. Tell-Tale's TWD is one of the few games that literally brought me to tears. Amazingly powerful stuff.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 01/30/14

Just an example of how awesome Gearbox can be - they are adding a 'colorblind mode' to Borderlands 2 to make things easier for people who have color vision deficiency!

https://www.gearboxsoftware.com/community/articles/1128

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 03/09/14

Tales from the Borderlands stars two lying, greedy Pandorians
https://www.polygon.com/2014/3/8/548612 ... pandorians
Tales from the Borderlands: A Telltale Games Series will star two protagonists, which were featured in the game's debut trailer during the 2013 VGX awards show — though calling them "heroes" might be a stretch.

During a SXSW Gaming panel titled "Two Sides to Every Story - Tales from the Borderlands Unveiled at SXSW," a handful of developers both from Telltale and Gearbox discussed the story of the episodic adventure series. It's set on Pandora, the planet which served as the battleground for the first two Borderlands games — but rather than focus on the plight of the heroic Vault Hunters of that universe, it focuses more on the planet's less adventurous inhabitants.

The two characters featured in the trailer are Fiona, the well-dressed con artist, and Rhys, the cybernetically-enhanced Hyperion company man. The player will control both characters as they recall, in turn, the plot of the game from the future. Both narrators' versions, however, are fish tales — players will quickly notice the discrepancies between the versions of the events presented by Fiona and Rhys.

"You never really play what actually happened, you're playing this Big Fish version of what happened," Telltale's Kevin Bruner explained during the panel.
You can read more at the link above.

Personally, I'm really looking forward to this new take on Borderlands.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 03/10/14

Tales from the Borderlands Unveiled at SXSW
It's 48 minutes so get some popcorn.

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Re: The Borderlands

Post by Tregarde » 04/09/14

Gearbox just announced Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel. This game takes place between the two previous games, and is about Handsome Jack's rise to power, and you'll be playing characters that help him. The new characters are ones seen in the other games, including Claptrap! Yes, you'll get to play Claptrap. This is not an add-on, but a full game built on BL2 technology. Much of the action takes place on Pandora's moon, so there will be new challenges with low gravity, and need for oxygen.

https://blog.2k.com/index.php/home/sing ... pre-sequel
phpBB [media]

Kotaku also has a bunch of information:
https://kotaku.com/the-next-big-borderl ... 1560995025

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 05/12/14

The Academy of Art University in San Francisco got together with the folks at 2K to give students a chance to create animated short films set in the Borderlands universe. The result is three funny little bits of animation, suitable for stealth marketing.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 05/13/14

I had kinda sworn off buying too many new games. I'd figured I would wait for good ones to go on sale, or to just save my money and buy an upgrade or two for my PC first (still wanting to get an ATI 260X).

I'd seen the borderlands games go on steam sales several times, but hadn't felt like really buying into them. I may check it out sometime, dunno.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 05/28/14

The Pre-Sequel Handsome Jack teaser
phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 08/14/14

New trailer for the Pre-Sequel
phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 09/18/14

You can now play with skill trees, to see what abilities the Pre-Sequel characters will have and plan for your run(s) through.

https://borderlandsthegame.com/skilltrees/index.html

And here is a 9½ minute trailers, narrated by Sir Hammerlock and Mister Torgue

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/14/14

The Pre-Sequel is out. In the small time I've put into it so far, it's fun. And it actually has some story to it!

If anyone else has it/is getting it, let's do some co-op!

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/19/14

Review of the Pre-Sequel:

If you enjoyed Borderlands 2, then you'll enjoy the P-S. The gameplay is the same, with the addition of lower gravity, oxygen management, and lazers. Pew pew! The new freezing elemental attacks can be devastating! The additions add some nice challenges, without adding difficulty. Moonstones replace Eridium as a secondary currency, they are thankfully easier to collect, but there are also more things to spend them on (such as the occasional loot chest that acts the same as the Golden Key chest). Another nice addition is the Grinder - where you can insert 3 items and have them 'grinded' to make a new item of higher rarity (adding moonstones also adds to the value). It's a nice way to deal with trash.

But where the P-S shines compared to the previous Borderlands, is in character development, and how it ties into the story. The story is about Jack's rise to power. It fills in a lot of the questions about what happened between the first 2 games. By the end you learn why Jack hunted down bandits & vault hunters so relentlessly, how he learned about the vault on Pandora, why he wears that mask, and how he gained the loyalty of many people. And, of course, what happened to the moon. There is also a little teaser that may lead into Borderlands 3.

Over the course of the story, you see the characters grow and change. Including the player characters! There are little bits of dialogue all throughout the P-S that are unique to each player character, and you may want to replay the P-S over and over to get all their stories. The fact that your character actually has a voice and talks to others adds a lot! This is a huge difference over the previous Borderlands, in which your character is largely silent and it really doesn't matter which you play.

2K Australia did a fine job capturing the spirit of the Borderlands. The art, the dark humor, the witty dialogue is all there. The only thing that lets you know it wasn't from Gearbox directly is the accents the citizens of the moon have. It's actually kind of fun hearing something besides American and British accents for a change. All returning characters keep their original voices, and of course Dameon Clarke continues to be excellent as Jack.

If you're a fan of the Borderlands series, I recommend getting the Pre-Sequel. If you only like the series (or on a budget), then maybe wait till it's on sale.