Yeah, right, Blizzard

For players of many different games!
Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Yeah, right, Blizzard

Post by Calris » 08/08/15

Blizzard gives me free week of WoW. Pesters me to buy the newest expansion. I check the price....nearly $50?!

*Uninstall*

Just a random gripe. I'm not paying as much for an expansion as I'd pay for a full game.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Re: Yeah, right, Blizzard

Post by Diera » 08/08/15

It would have to depend on the expansion. If they put in enough new stuff to basically amount to a whole new game? (Like back in EQ when Shadows of Luclin came out, with a whole graphics revamp, a whole new world/moon to explore, a new race, etc.) Sure. If it's just another handful of quests for endgame that I'll never see, with maybe a couple of crumbs handed to the lower levels? Fuck that.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 08/11/15

According to a friend, who has played the game forever, every expansion has cost upward to $50. Or even more if you wanted the collector's edition of the expansion. He suggested that it was only less expensive when the price was reduced many months after release.

Has this not been the case?
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 08/11/15

Psia wrote:According to a friend, who has played the game forever, every expansion has cost upward to $50. Or even more if you wanted the collector's edition of the expansion. He suggested that it was only less expensive when the price was reduced many months after release.

Has this not been the case?
If my poking around is correct, Burning Crusade was $35, Lich King and Cata were $40 each. Don't remember how much MoP was for sure, but I think it was $40 too.

But, except for BC, those were still steep IMO. I guess CoH spoiled me though. :p Only one "full price" expansion that could be bought as a standalone game and was eventually merged into the base game for free.

TashMonster
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TashMonster » 08/11/15

The prices for each expansion has gone up over the years, but they've never been exactly cheap. And also, I'd argue that WoW has always managed to include enough content in their expansions to justify the price.

It'd be one thing if they released crappy little dungeon packs for $50, but an entire new continent with a whole storyline, new raids and dungeons, a level cap increase and the content that goes with it, and all the other perks and goodies... That's on a different pricing scale than some half-assed DLC like what some game companies put out.

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 08/11/15

Almost all expansions for games now are running 40-50 bucks. SOME digital downloads are hitting 35, but usually no lower without a sale.

I can't recall NOT paying that much for an expansion in the last 5 years. EQ2/WoW and Rift.

Rencey
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Rencey » 08/13/15

Not that im defending Blizzard, but where exactly have they posted a price point when we cant even pre-order yet?

Also, in line of the thread, MoP was around 40-50, though WoD was 50-60, which really wasn't worth it this time around.
I'm just excited to finally be a demon hunter after all these years :)