[Poll] Is Smite's Fabulous a Step Backward?

All manner of fun stuff!

Do you agree with the Opinion writer's interpretation of Smite's 'Fabulous' skin?

Yes. I agree with the opinion and I explain my reason(s) below.
50%
No. I disagree with the opinion and I explain my reason(s) below.
50%

Total votes: 2

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

[Poll] Is Smite's Fabulous a Step Backward?

Post by Psia » 08/25/17

https://mic.com/articles/183986/smite-c ... .o0C5tMEoD
If you thought we had moved past the stereotype that gay men are little more than limp-wristed, leather-wearing fairies who scream “Yaaass queen” and snap at each other, you’d be wrong.

Need proof? Look no further than Smite, an online game with millions of registered players. It recently added a new, unlockable costume for one of its many characters: Chiron, a bow-and-arrow wielding centaur. This alternate costume, which Smite calls a “skin,” is titled “Fabulous.” It looks like this:
phpBB [media]

The writer of the opinion goes into further detail as to why they feel this way. A poll has been offered for Raven user's. This poll will not expire. This poll permits you to change your vote as your own opinion may change over the course of conversation about it.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Morenin
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Re: [Poll] Is Smite's Fabulous a Step Backward?

Post by Morenin » 08/25/17

I voted yes, though it is a yes with provisos. The physical skin I think is okay, because gosh darn it, some people do like rainbow unicorns. My hang up is with the quotes provided. I agree with the author that are rather childish. I'm sure they were trying to be funny, but it's drifting a bit into the laughing at category. I think it could work with some tweaking.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Re: [Poll] Is Smite's Fabulous a Step Backward?

Post by Shizouka » 08/25/17

Its a bit of a complex issue. I can see how some people might get tired of Rainbows, Unicorns, and glitter... but others enjoy it and find it a fun way to express themselves.

Does it hurt LGBTQ image to be closely identified with such things still? Hard to say. Some people want to move on, and be seen as just regular folks. But I still think people should be allowed to celebrate themselves however they feel without feeling they should be ashamed for perpetuating an old image. Some of these images were chosen so they could stand out and BE visible when most of the world wanted them to just go away.