phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Re: Battletech

Post by Tregarde » 04/28/18

I've now played a few hours.

Short impression: It's Battletech.

Not so short: It's Battletech. If you're familiar with the original tabletop game, you'll have no trouble picking this up. The UI could have used a little tweaking, parts of it aren't as intuitive as they could be, but overall they did a good job. Nice touch in letting you chose the pronoun you prefer at character creation.

Like most new games, for some people it runs great, for others it's buggy. You just won't know till you try (I've found it stable so far).

A couple helpful videos I've found to get your new mercenary career going more smoothly:

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 05/01/18

Several hours in now...

It's still Battletech, with a little bit of Mechwarrior RPG mixed in. The story is pretty typical - you're a mechwarrior in the employ of a Periphery state when the ruler dies. On what would have been the coronation day for his daughter, her uncle stages a coup. The rest of the game you balance between managing a mercenary troupe and helping the daughter reclaim the throne.

As stated above, if you're familiar with the tabletop game, you pretty much know how to play the game. The numbers may be different, but the weapons work as you expect - a medium laser is still a medium laser, a LRM pack is still a LRM pack, etc. Slight change in that machine guns and small lasers are now classified as Support Weapons, but it's nothing you won't get used to real quick.

Customizing mechs is a lot more limited than the Mechwarrior games, but it kinda makes sense. After all, the frames were designed with specific layouts in mind, and you can deviate only so much. This is 3025, not Clan tech. Locations on a frame are given 'hardpoints' that can accept only certain types of weapons (ballistic, laser, missile or support), some locations may even have no hardpoints. Heatsinks and jump jets are not restricted by hardpoints. Armor can be added or stripped at will. As always, max tonnage limits how much you can add to a mech.

Physical attacks can be devistating, especially from the larger mechs. Plus it saves on ammo and generates zero heat, so it's a tactic worth keeping in mind when the opprotunity arises.

A couple new systems to keep an eye on is Evasion, which makes a mech harder to hit. You gain evasion by moving, the further you move the harder a mech is to hit. Being shot at reduces evasion, which can make being shot at by multiple opponents quite dangerous. Stability is keeping your mech standing up. Stability is lost by being hit by ballistic or missile, or physical attacks.

The biggest hassle, at least in the early game, is that it takes TIME to repair and refit mechs. If you come out of a battle with just armor damage, you'll be fine. But the second anything penetrates armor, it will add days to your mech's down time. The mech bay on your little Leopard drop ship can only work on one mech at a time, so having multiple mechs down for fixes can add up. And time is something you do not have much luxury with, because you have monthly operating expenses - and if you're down for too long while waiting for mechs to be repaired you CAN go bankrupt and lose the game.

Likewise, if your pilots suffer damage, they will laid up for a while. But unlike mechs, all pilots heal at the same time. As long as you have a couple spare pilots to swap in when others are hurt you should be fine. But additional pilots means more monthly expenses.

I've read that later you get some upgrades that reduce repair & refit times, but in the early game you're going to either save-scum, or want to install a mod that reduces tech time. Likewise, one lucky head shot by an enemy and you'll probably want to save-scum just so you're not down a pilot. With a little practice you can learn tactics to increase your survivability, but it still feels like the game punishes you for taking too much damage. Hopefully Paradox addresses this in a patch.

But beyond the excessive repair/refit times, I'm still having fun with this return to Battletech. And I challenge any if you to a slug it out on the field of battle!

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 05/01/18

Okay, so this is a top-down RTS style now instead of an FPS "in the mech" shooter?

Ugh. I'll wait for Vox Machinae.
Thanks for the report though. I was curious about this, being a long time MechWarrior player.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 05/01/18

Scrattch wrote:
05/01/18
Okay, so this is a top-down RTS style now instead of an FPS "in the mech" shooter?

Ugh. I'll wait for Vox Machinae.
Thanks for the report though. I was curious about this, being a long time MechWarrior player.
Yes and no. Battletech was always designed as a "top down" but turn based (not RTS), which closely matches the original table-top game. I even still have all my miniatures from those days. =P

The Mechwarrior video games have always been the "in the cockpit" style. In fact MW5 is in production and a quick YouTube search will show you many videos of them showing off destructible buildings. It is currently scheduled for release at the end of the year, but of course it may get pushed back.
Last edited by Tregarde on 05/01/18, edited 1 time in total.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 05/01/18

No, I knew it was a top down tabletop RTS.

I was there at the birth of gaming like you were. Was just too damn expensive for me.
Besides, I was solid AD&D... but...

I'll get MW5 most likely... but only if it supports VR. Otherwise Vox Machinae gets my $$.

Since getting my HMD it's funny, but regular games have lost virtually (hah!) all appeal.
Right now Elite Dangerous is making me it's VR bitch along with Subnautica.