Posts from Whoville (Doctor Who)

All manner of fun stuff!
Cheyla
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Posts from Whoville (Doctor Who)

Post by Cheyla » 07/20/09

(Ahem, woops. Had to delete the other message because I hit Send when I meant to hit Preview.)

And, so it begins. Filming for Doctor Who's fifth series has begun, with a new Doctor, a new companion and a new TARDIS. It makes me both excited and sad at the same time. Excited to see what Matt does, and what stories Steven Moffat has in store for us, but it also makes me very sad that it means we're getting closer to a time when the lovely Tenth Doctor will be gone for good (well, until they do a multi-Doctor episode).

First order of business for the BBC was to give us pictures of the new Doctor's costume. People who'd gotten used to the look of the Ninth and Tenth Doctors are already whining ("Oh my god, a bow tie! He looks like such a dork!" Blah, blah blah), but I say if Indiana Jones can pull off the history teacher look, complete with elbow patches and bow tie...so can the Doctor! Classic fans are nearly orgasmic...as they were fearing (for some stupid reason) that he'd be wearing a hoodie and skinny jeans, and wear eyeliner. :roll:

Second order of business was for freaky fans and tabloid photographers alike, racing to see who got the first pictures of the first day of filming. People went into a complete frenzy when they found that the crew was going down to the beach they used as Bad Wolf Bay, where the Doctor and Rose have had to say goodbye twice, BUT...they didn't film on that part of the beach. They were more on the rocky area nearby. Sorry folks, no BWB for us, though there was someone there. You're going to have to wait and see who it is though. Spoilers and all.

The TARDIS has changed. Well, we knew the interior was getting a major overhaul since the old console was starting to fall apart and Doctor Who is moving up to HD, but I never thought we'd get a whole new police box prop. Strange thing is, it's new...and yet it's old. The design is from the original back in 1963, complete with the little circular sticker on the front. Between Matt Smith's more traditional Doctor costume, to the TARDIS going back to what it looked like decades ago, I'm getting very curious as to what The Moff is up to.

Anyway, that's it so far. They've moved on from the beach due to the tide coming in, and we don't quite know where they're going next. Still, here's the spoiler-free portion of the location photos.

Last edited by Cheyla on 12/04/09, edited 1 time in total.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Re: A New Era in Whoville

Post by Duvessa » 07/20/09

A new TARDIS interior?! YES! *fistpump*

The one thing I HATED about the revial was the Tardis interior, which I felt contained all of the camp they had taken from the rest of the show. It was abysmal. That, I will not miss.

Cheyla
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

*sniff* I'll miss it, myself. It felt lived-in. And all the memories... *sigh*

As long as they don't return it to the old "hospital white" look, or turn it into something far too Star Trek, I'll be okay, though.

Jerath
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Jerath » 07/20/09

I'm a bit concerned about the new look... I mean, I know a lot of the old Dr Who fans will probably like it, because it is very much in theme with the older styles...

But I was hoping for something a little more along the lines of Christopher Eccleson myself... something a little more modern. I'm sure it'll grow on me in time.

Balolien
Regular
Regular

Post by Balolien » 07/20/09

I am unsure about it atm but i am sure it will grow on me
no doubt i will skyplus the whole series and watch it when i get time hehe

Cheyla
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Jerath wrote:I'm a bit concerned about the new look... I mean, I know a lot of the old Dr Who fans will probably like it, because it is very much in theme with the older styles...

But I was hoping for something a little more along the lines of Christopher Eccleson myself... something a little more modern. I'm sure it'll grow on me in time.
Oh, trust me, the old-school fans are orgasmic over it. They're saying "Very Troughton-esque!"

I dunno, for some reason it makes me smile. It's out of the ordinary and not what you expect. I'm not sure he looks tough enough to be in something like Eccleston's outfit, and his shoulders are too broad to wear something like Tennant's outfit.

Think of it this way, at least it's not Colin Baker's costume. :mrgreen:

Jerath
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Jerath » 07/20/09

Or Sylvester McCoy... :p

There was an interesting radio interview with David Tennant on Absolute Radio last night. I missed some of it though, so gonna see if I can find it online.

Cheyla
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

McCoy, too! Yeah...

Hm, I'm amazed DT.com hasn't put it up yet. Normally they're extremely fast with that.

Alarice
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Alarice » 07/20/09

He really does look like a dork. *giggle* Still, a time traveler can't exactly be a slave to fashion.

Cheyla
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Cheyla » 10/05/09

I'm bumping this thread because I don't want to cram the board with more threads on the subject.

Today, they are filming the first episodes of series 5 (they film out of order, so the first days of filming were for later episodes).

WARNING! If you are extra spoiler sensitive, you might not want to see the pictures. Though...I don't think it's all that spoilery, as it's just the suit and the profession of the new companion that's revealed. *shrug* Your choice.

Okay, here we go...

Am I pathetic for being completely sad to see Matt in David's suit? :cry: Not to mention the state the suit is in.

(By the way...holy CRAP Karen is one hot police lady!)

Jerath
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Jerath » 10/05/09

Apparently, according to some stuff i've read, the first episode is supposed to be the Doctor returning to earth after approx 100 years of travelling.

He's supposed to be around 1000 years old now, rather than around 900. If he's been wearing that same suit for a while.... yeeeah. ;)

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 10/05/09

Do we know how many serials they are doing? Will England ever produce a full 26-episode season?!

*sighs* I can already guess the answer to both.

Cheyla
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Cheyla » 10/06/09

Jerath wrote:Apparently, according to some stuff i've read, the first episode is supposed to be the Doctor returning to earth after approx 100 years of travelling.

He's supposed to be around 1000 years old now, rather than around 900. If he's been wearing that same suit for a while.... yeeeah. ;)
I haven't heard that one before! Goodness, the Gallifrey Base folks are getting sloppy! ;)

No, actually, in interviews, RTD has said that episode 1 will kick off *right* after David's finale. And from what I've heard from the people who took the above pictures, he seems to be still going through regeneration sickness during the first episode.
Duvessa wrote:Do we know how many serials they are doing? Will England ever produce a full 26-episode season?!

*sighs* I can already guess the answer to both.
Problem is, that's not a "full season" for the UK. Or, at least, not for the BBC. Not anymore. I don't think I've seen a series go on for more than 13-15 episodes these days.

Besides, their 13-episode run takes them nine months out of the year to film as it is, and they're usually (based on commentaries I've heard) still running finished episodes to the BBC when the series has already started, because of all the post-production work that has to go into each one. Doubling the episodes would require cutting the production values because of lack of time. And I'd rather they didn't do that, because the episodes are always so beautiful.

As for how many serials they're doing...I *think* it's been said that Matt is signed on for at least three years.

Jerath
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Jerath » 10/06/09

A "traditional" season for england used to be approx 6 episodes for some programs, 13 for others.

For example, Red Dwarf used to only have 6 episodes per season. So it used to run for around 1 and a half months. The older Doctors Who seasons (1971 onwards) are only 5 episodes long until you get to season 13 (1975/1976), at which point it goes up to 6.

I doubt we'll have 26 episode seasons over here... for any program, not just Doctor Who. It doesn't appear to be the way that things work for the major channels.

Cheyla
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

New logo announced.

All I can say is...holy lens flare, Batman! :shock: Okay, no, that's not all I can say.

I'm sure I'll get used to it, as it's just a logo after all, but...eh. Not wholly impressed, and I don't see what was wrong with what we've had. Then again, the logo has changed several times over the course of the show, so I guess it's just tradition or something. *shrug*

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/06/09

All I can say, looking at the latest pictures is...

ICE CREAM!

Lady Raven
Regular
Regular

Post by Lady Raven » 10/06/09

*Squee bounces*

Cheyla
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Tregarde wrote:All I can say, looking at the latest pictures is...

ICE CREAM!
I have this strange mental picture of the Doctor telling Amy something of grave importance, then stopping mid-sentence and saying, "Oh, look, ice cream! I could do with an ice cream, how about you, Miss Pond?"

Amy: "Doctor..."

Doctor: "Yes?"

Amy: "FOCUS!"

Doctor: "Oh, right. As I was saying..."

Cheyla
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Cheyla » 10/07/09

Now that I'm done laughing my ass off, I had to share this picture.

Something tells me Amy is going to be one formidable companion! :lol:

And a short vid of it...sort of. It's kind of hard to hear except a bit of yelling when she snags him and starts dragging him along to the car.

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/08/09

Now I guess we know why he wears a bow tie... so she can't drag him around like that anymore.

Jerath
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Jerath » 10/14/09

I found this today and thought it was a little interesting...

https://uk.tv.yahoo.com/blog/article/265620/

Cheyla
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Cheyla » 10/14/09

Jerath wrote:I found this today and thought it was a little interesting...

https://uk.tv.yahoo.com/blog/article/265620/
Sounds like a fun little contest for the kids. Not sure about letting them design the main console that's supposed to last for years, but we'll see how it goes.

I like that they're going to let Matt choose the best one, like they let David choose the fan-created monster on BP in series 2.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 10/14/09

Cryptically, designs for the console must contain household objects so as to fit in with the plot.
Don't come along with a design that's finished and too technical - it needs to have a lot of character. It's about being clever with what you find around the house and make sure it really feels as if the Doctor has put it together.
*sighs*

Yeah. Of course. Let's make it out of human-made kitchen appliances and bicycle parts again. Yes. Because that's exactly what the fuck a Time Lord with the ability to travel anywhere to pick up any part would do. Give me a moment to bend over so you can shove the camp right up my ass....

Also, please please please, let's make sure they never show any other sections of this supposedly huge Tardis! That would be tragic. Really.

Cheyla
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Cheyla » 10/14/09

Duvessa wrote:
Cryptically, designs for the console must contain household objects so as to fit in with the plot.
Don't come along with a design that's finished and too technical - it needs to have a lot of character. It's about being clever with what you find around the house and make sure it really feels as if the Doctor has put it together.
*sighs*

Yeah. Of course. Let's make it out of human-made kitchen appliances and bicycle parts again. Yes. Because that's exactly what the fuck a Time Lord with the ability to travel anywhere to pick up any part would do. Give me a moment to bend over so you can shove the camp right up my ass....

Also, please please please, let's make sure they never show any other sections of this supposedly huge Tardis! That would be tragic. Really.

Well, now that the Hub's gone kerblooey (poor Myfanwy and Janet!), the Upper Boat studio has plenty of room for a bigger TARDIS interior set. I wouldn't give up hope.

(And I still love the new series console. I like the McGuyvered-together-out-of-things-he-found-lying-around look, but that's an argument that's been gone over more than once here, so I won't push it.)

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 10/14/09

Cheyla wrote:(And I still love the new series console. I like the McGuyvered-together-out-of-things-he-found-lying-around look, but that's an argument that's been gone over more than once here, so I won't push it.)
You're in the majority here, I think. People seem to love the new console look. You're all wrong, of course, but I forgive you all.