Star Trek Temporal Anomaly (fan film)

All manner of fun stuff!
Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Star Trek Temporal Anomaly (fan film)

Post by Psia » 03/31/18

phpBB [media]

Samuel Cockings, the UK co-host for Trekyards, has been making short films as far back as '09. And working on this Trek fan film since 2013. The trailer is an intriguing concept. However, I immediately spotted several problems. Which I knew would not bode well when I watched it the first time.

And I was right.

A preliminary version of the finished film was to be made public today. Which was, of course, when CBS decided to intercede.
Hello Everyone,

While the intent was to release Temporal Anomaly today we were contacted by CBS and are now delaying release of the film until those discussions are concluded and resolved. These have been polite communications and we thank CBS for their approach in dealing with these concerns.

We had hoped to release the project in its pre-guideline state as Temporal Anomaly was written in 2013 and filmed in 2013/2014 however a public release of this now dubbed "Directors Cut" is no longer possible.

A public altered edit of the film may be able to be produced but we are in the early stages of that.

Thank you for the support and interest you have shown, there will be an update on Kickstarter for our backers shortly.

Samuel Cockings
I find it odd that CBS would wait until the last possible moment to have commented. Makes me wonder which internet-based, fan film troll chose to press the matter with CBS for such a result? That's my personal theory, anyway. Until proven otherwise.

Looking at that trailer, it should have flagged interest long before now. Using actual dialogue from canon characters? Cockings already knew well the lay of the land. And should have known better. However, I speculate he shoved on ahead and tested any unspoken grandfathering of those official guidelines? I mean, Star Trek Continues somehow managed to squeeze past, so why not his? Which isn't anywhere near the production quality of Continues.

How badly butchered will Cockings film have to be for public viewing one wonders?
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: Star Trek Temporal Anomaly (fan film)

Post by Psia » 04/26/18

Hello everyone,

Our discussions with CBS have now concluded and a plan reached.

Temporal Anomaly was written in 2013 coming off the success of SGU: Distant Hope. Since SGU:DH was a hybrid of show footage/live action and Green screen I wanted to do that again for Temporal Anomaly. Being a second year student at University in 2013, it was all about the story I wanted to tell since I did not expect the film to get much fan attention back then.

Temporal Anomaly was 10x more ambitious and complex and while my vision was solid, my visual effect abilities we’re nowhere near the quality I can do now. Hence each year or so, I have gone back and re-worked things as my skills have improved. March 2018 was to be the release date and finally get this project out.

I’m am of course very well aware of the guidelines, having read them for the very first time on the train down to Ticonderoga to visit the Star Trek New Voyagers sets (when they still were fan film sets) the DAY they were released.

My film was written long before the guidelines and while I had not assumed the "grandfather" clause was a real thing, it was not based on stubbornness that I continued to work towards finishing my 2013 planned film. Having seen multiple other fan films released push against these guidelines had also made it unclear as to the exact landscape for older and smaller productions.

I wanted to try and release Temporal Anomaly as written, as intended and as a flowing creative whole. If CBS were to contact me, then I would deal with it if/when it came. I did get an email and the process of working with CBS began. Once again, I thank CBS for their conduct and tone in these matters. They have been professional, polite and wanted to work WITH me and not against me.

So now to the future of Temporal Anomaly and where we stand with a release. This is when the production will split into the "Directors Cut" and the public cut. The Directors cut will be the full 50 minute edit with the intro minute including show footage as written. This version will go to all the backers that made this film possible, the cast, the crew and be on the few DVD perks that were promised in 2013. This version will NOT be released publicly and as such are separate to what the guidelines talk about, which is on the public release of a fan film.

Per my discussions with CBS, Temporal Anomaly will be released later this year to the public in 3 parts with a new soundtrack and without the first/last scene. I will construct a new intro to put a similar message across to the Directors cut, but without any show footage. This has to be carefully thought through as story pacing is very important in a production.

The last scene will also be changed although hopefully kept spiritually the same since it is the emotional payoff for the entire production.

Other parts of the production that I won’t go into now have been given a guideline exemption by CBS just as Star Trek Continues and others have in different ways. The changes I am making are based on my discussion with CBS to allow the production to be released in an acceptable form by both parties.

Having said all that, given that the edit is 99.99% done with only 7 CG tweaks to make, a 3D door to put in and 3 bits of ADR left…having to re-edit a whole new sound track, new intro and work out the split points to allow the pace to still work will take some time and so there is no immediate plans for a public release.

I am both busy with my day job and several other exciting projects, both in the Trek world and beyond. I had hoped that March would have let me have put Temporal Anomaly out and move on with my life but for now, that will only be the case as far as cast/crew/backers are concerned.

Any future projects I am the writer/director/creator for will lend themselves to a post guidelines world and I hope to be able to announce something special for the Trek community soon. I have been working on something since January and given my discussions with CBS about TA, this new project only needs 2 minor tweaks. Both have been addressed and in fact add to the quality of the piece.

Lots of exciting stuff to come and I hope to be able to do the fans proud in anything and everything I do.

Thank you,

Samuel Cockings
Glad to read that we may get to see this after all.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/09/18

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/17/18

phpBB [media]