Don't go to art school

Help for the novice and expert alike.
Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Don't go to art school

Post by Sibelle » 06/27/13

Some of you art school students might disagree with this and I'm not sure I agree with the entirety of it either. I think there are other resources but it does link to a lot of helpful things for people with a budget that doesn't include a fancy art school.

https://medium.com/i-m-h-o/138c5efd45e9
The traditional approach is failing us. It’s time for a change.

I’ve had it.

I will no longer encourage aspiring artists to attend art school. I just won’t do it. Unless you’re given a full ride scholarship (or have parents with money to burn), attending art school is a waste of your money.

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Re: Don't go to art school

Post by Erithe » 06/27/13

This is really good stuff.

My take away on the value of art education that I benefited from are things you can also find with a local arts association: Live models, mentoring, and links to resources - including patronage.

I really like this list a lot. Thank you :)

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 06/29/13

I think art school certainly has a place, though.... the number of art students I have met over the Internet who went to school with a major focus on the arts, and then did nothing with it, is pretty staggering. If you're going to go to school for art, it's probably best you come out at the end of it with a willingness to actually work in the arts. And that means taking orders from people, and being willing to do art as a job, instead of as a whim. So you can make money, and pay off all that fancy art education.

Just my random 2 cents.

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 06/29/13

Oh definitely. I also think that some people school to feel like they can succeed. Self-education is something that is learned through necessity and desire. Without that desire it is impossible to force yourself to study on your own, read, practice, ect.

My father went to art school and has always struggled with production because since then he just hasn't had the desire to move forward or try. It actively frustrates him that I have more desire to just do art than he does. He tries to freelance but is always late and pretty much hates doing it. The only reason he does is for the extra money. He's semi-famous for doing it as a job. But he really wanted to do it more on a whim, I think.