I Write Like...

Post your amusing tests and quizes here.
Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

I Write Like...

Post by Diera » 10/23/11

This was pretty neat. Copy and paste an example of your writing in the space, hit "Analyze" and it will tell you the writer who's style is similar to yours.

I can't tell you how accurate it is (probably not very accurate at all) but it's fun.

https://iwl.me/

I put in a bunch of samples of my writing, and apparently I write a lot like Gertrude Stein and Arthur Clarke, with a dash of Dan Brown...and then two of my samples came out with wildcards Mario Puzo and Douglas Adams. Not sure where the Adams bit comes from, especially when the chapter I used that time was a torture scene, and Adams is more into surreal humor. O_o

Still, the vast majority came out either Gertrude Stein or Arthur C. Clarke. (It says "Arthur Clarke", but as Arthur C. Clarke is the only "Arthur Clarke" I know of in the writing biz, I figure that's who they mean.)

Gwynedh
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Re: I Write Like...

Post by Gwynedh » 10/23/11

I tried this with my story post, and got L. Frank Baum.

Reszeld
Patron
Patron

Post by Reszeld » 10/23/11

Neil Gaiman twice in a row, followed by James Joyce. Hah.

Wonder what their criteria are.

Tanaii
Pranceless Muse

Post by Tanaii » 10/23/11

I got HP Lovecraft twice and Anne Rice three times, lol. Interesting combo?

Now if only I could write an actual novel and sell like Anne Rice...

Audina
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Audina » 10/23/11

I write like Chuck Palahniuk...hmm. I suppose I should find out who that is.

Pirate
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Pirate » 10/23/11

Audina wrote:I write like Chuck Palahniuk...hmm. I suppose I should find out who that is.
He wrote Fight Club.

Pirate
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

And I got...

William Shakespeare.

Audina
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Audina » 10/23/11

Neversea wrote:
Audina wrote:I write like Chuck Palahniuk...hmm. I suppose I should find out who that is.
He wrote Fight Club.
Yeah, that doesn't help me at all. I never saw the movie and there's no way I'd ever read that book.

Edited to add:

This should make me feel good, though. I write like someone I never read, so that means I'm not copying a style!

Pirate
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Audina wrote:
Neversea wrote:
He wrote Fight Club.
Yeah, that doesn't help me at all. I never saw the movie and there's no way I'd ever read that book.

Edited to add:

This should make me feel good, though. I write like someone I never read, so that means I'm not copying a style!
The book is really good IMO! I liked it better than the movie and for having had to read it for a class... it actually kept me interested enough to not put it down.

Anyastasia
Resident
Resident

Post by Anyastasia » 10/24/11

I was compared with Margaret Atwood and Anne Rice.

Vith
Resident
Resident

Post by Vith » 10/24/11

I got HP Lovecraft

Skyler
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Skyler » 10/24/11

I kept putting in stuff and never got the same author more than once. How dare you not make up your mind, internet-thing!

DeFafnyr
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by DeFafnyr » 10/24/11

I got Ray Bradbury.

Audina
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Audina » 10/24/11

Skyler wrote:I kept putting in stuff and never got the same author more than once. How dare you not make up your mind, internet-thing!
I entered all those diaries that I wrote--and had the same effect.

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 11/02/11

I am not sure who she is, but I got Margaret Mitchell and then Anne Rice 6 or more times (Pretty much every time except when I got the others).. Chuck P-something rather once, Stephen King once..But for the most part, Anne Rice. I suspect though, that something about the answers had to do with the subject of what I was putting in and the length.

Not sure how I feel about that.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 11/02/11

Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone With the Wind. :)

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Diera wrote:Margaret Mitchell wrote Gone With the Wind. :)
That explains the odd sense of familiarity and complete and utter cluelessness I felt. I need to read more.

Skyler
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Skyler » 11/02/11

Sibelle wrote:...I suspect though, that something about the answers had to do with the subject of what I was putting in and the length. ...
I got Tolkien when I put in something about elves and again when I put in something with dwarves.

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Skyler wrote:
Sibelle wrote:...I suspect though, that something about the answers had to do with the subject of what I was putting in and the length. ...
I got Tolkien when I put in something about elves and again when I put in something with dwarves.
I kind of suspected that may have something to do with it too, not sure if it's so much style but theme and word use-age. There isn't a doubt in my mind that sauciness and usage of the word 'breasts' has something to do with my Anne Rice answer. I was using dream sequences from one of my characters. It seemed the best example of my writing style since I lost a lot of my writing when my laptop died and most of my other journals are examples of me trying to write like my characters.

Sauciness indeed.
"No one has to know, Elle." His voice was there again, but her eyes were drawn down to his chest and the fine fabric he wore. She could see no further than the line of his jaw, but even that was barely distinguishable. But what was clear, was the warmth of his breath upon her ear and the weight of the earrings she had. Like the perfect parlor princess she was meant to be, the nervous breath she took was emphasized by the tight corset bound around her abdomen.

"They always find out... My brother Quinien, he knows everything. He could be hearing us now."

Her own voice was shaky lacking it's usual confidence and yet still she did not move. "Be still my deer." The sound of his smile was infectious, and a blush creeped it's way into her cheeks. The affectionate pet name struck a chord with her, in both her subconscious and the memory of it when she would awaken. Still though, it progressed, her slumber undisturbed as he pressed his lips to the tip of her reddened ear down her jaw to her neck, and then to what he could manage of her cleavage. The dresses of young noble women were always so complex, designed to tease and yet require an entire ensemble of maids to put on and take off. Even if he dared attempt to trace his finger across the window that so carefully hinted at her breasts.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 11/02/11

Sibelle wrote:
Skyler wrote:
I kind of suspected that may have something to do with it too, not sure if it's so much style but theme and word use-age. There isn't a doubt in my mind that sauciness and usage of the word 'breasts' has something to do with my Anne Rice answer. I was using dream sequences from one of my characters. It seemed the best example of my writing style since I lost a lot of my writing when my laptop died and most of my other journals are examples of me trying to write like my characters.
It's quite possible, though I'm still confused why my torture scene got Douglas Adams. *shrug*

Avarice
Resident
Resident

Post by Avarice » 11/02/11

Twice I got David Foster Wallace, and once, Dan Brown. o_O

Aristeia
RFN DJ
RFN DJ

Post by Aristeia » 11/30/11

I tried this seven times. Every. Single. Fucking. Time. It. Is. H.P. Lovecraft.

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TinweSaa » 12/01/11

James Fenimore Cooper, 19th century American writer and author of Last of the Mohicans

and

Dan Brown author of The DaVinci Code

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 12/01/11

Oscar Wilde :D

Aristeia
RFN DJ
RFN DJ

Post by Aristeia » 12/01/11

Erithe wrote:Oscar Wilde :D
*steals your writing style!!!!!!!!!!*

I quote him often, and adore him immensely! ...I may start stalking you not only for arts, but for writings as well...