Second Chances

Diaries, logs, and personal notes.
Caymin
Regular
Regular

Second Chances

Post by Caymin » 10/09/14

Finally arrived in Qeynos: it’s been a long time. Not any cleaner than Freeport now, but it has a more relaxed ‘feel’ to it. Nevertheless, it has gone through changes as well since my last days here. I avoided going to districts that I knew would bring back painful memories. I’ll have to make time for that soon. “Unresolved feelings can cloud judgment” is what my Mentor would say.

The Manor is in pristine condition. Though the owners have only returned for brief moments during the past few years, the staff is working diligently as ever. The merchant and bankers keep tabs on all accounts, supplies are brought in regularly to stock the shelves. The workstations are maintained, the books in the library dusted and even the stage in the spacious ‘entertainment’ room is swept daily.

I was pleased to see that the Mentor’s hidden office was dusty. He assured me that I was the only one in Qeynos now, who knew anything about it, but I was dubious. I should know better by now, than to doubt him. Detailed maps of each city, building plans for castles and large estates, shipping manifests and schedules, even guard lists and timing of shift changes were neatly organized. They would be years old now and many would need to be updated before being useful.

The ledger of names was fun to skim through. Contacts in Freeport, Qeynos, Neriak, Gorowyn… every major population and even some obscure ones. Some of these people may be dead now, but I was assured that all would recognize the Mentor’s name. He knows I don’t want to use that crutch unless completely necessary. I think that’s part of why he chose me for this after saving my life those years ago.

I am the “New Ownership” and in charge of these Estates now. Once I settle in and secure the basic business affairs, I’ll move on to examine the properties in Freeport.

Time to take advantage of the second chance I’ve been given.

Caymin
Regular
Regular

Re: Second Chances

Post by Caymin » 10/10/14

It was an uneventful but productive evening as I attended the Maiden’s Fancy last night. No performances, which was disappointing, but the bar was open and conversation was there to be had.

Alexsandra (in the notebook) was behind the bar and did her job well, though she was a bit too busy for conversation.

I met a pirate named Cae, though someone else called her Caeyla. She sails with a fellow named Rivald (in the notebook), who apparently had been at the Fancy before I arrived, but left her alone. She said he was likely ‘ruffling the sheets with some woman’. Cae was entertaining to flirt with, but sadly fixated on this Rivald, despite his absence. However, she was open to conversation and flirtation, though the flirting was unrequited. Their ship was apparently cursed by Tunare for unknown reasons (tree branches growing from the mast or some such?) Good song material, perhaps. They deal in unicorn horns and dragon parts, among other unspecified things. I’ll have to meet Rivald myself to see if he should be trusted or watched out for. Clearly where Rivald goes, Cae will follow… for now.

She has an ally in Arch-Duke Jeryn of Freeport and can be reached through him if necessary. Jeryn made an appearance later in the evening and held himself with poise, despite not liking the cold of Halas. He did lose his reserve when a jovial fellow teased Alexsandra. She took it in stride, but Jeryn got up as if to attack the man. Cae reached out to assist him and he grunted as he stood… (Recent wound or long-term injury?) Jeryn seemed to regard Cae as a servant with a noble stiffness, but he was not against mild conversation with me. He did answer questions about his family’s position in Freeport briefly and without details. He knows how to keep secrets. Further conversations may yield better results. Apparently he’s a fan of good beer (Cae).

There was an interesting woman at the bar someone called “Batty”. She had demonic wings (illusion or real?) and made comments with dry humor throughout the night. She would be fun to speak with in the future.

Lyah (in the notebook) was at the end of the bar all night, but seemed unusually quiet. From what I've read of her, she was probably listening in to everyone's conversations. I will have to speak with her soon as well.

Caymin
Regular
Regular

Post by Caymin » 10/13/14

I took some time walking through the streets of Freeport and looking over my mentor’s estates there.

One is elaborate and amazingly decorated. A small staff of laborers keep the flowers fresh, the pools clean of algae and the walkways swept. It was intentionally kept available for public use (parties and religious services) and, looking over the logbook, it has indeed been used several times over the years. The names of those that enjoyed the facilities were all in the notebook. I will have to look them up and see if they are still good contacts.

Two other properties were apparently used as warehouses and were quite full of useful and mundane items. A Fourth was essentially empty and apparently never used. I will have to decide whether to make one of these my headquarters in Freeport or to start fresh with my own place here.

As I wandered the streets, I was enticed into a tavern late one night when most others seemed closed down. The name escapes me, but it was easy to find. The taver was meticulously decorated and run by the owner “C”. She was polite, but busy handling customers and not able to idly chat.

An elf was drinking at the bar and complaining about assassination attempts on his life in Kelethin. I bought “S” a drink and asked more about his story. He’s a healer, but considering a change in occupation as he was nearly put in shackles by the Kelethin authorities. He knew his limits and declined a second drink I offered, but gave me his contact information as he left.

A high elf woman came in and quickly began drinking to excess. “R” is a paladin and was upset about her father disowning her over religious misunderstandings. A comforting ear and a shoulder to cry on was what she needed. She kept my attention as the rest of the patrons left and we talked for hours after “C” closed the venue (VoC... really?).

The next evening I went into the tavern again. “C” and “R” were there, among others. A game of riddles was underway. “R” is quite intelligent when she’s not drinking and we went for a short walk after the tavern closed. She is a good contact, though smart enough to admit her uncertainty about me describing my occupation vaguely as a ‘businessman”.

A productive couple days, to be sure, but next I travel to Neriak to see how the properties there are doing.

Caymin
Regular
Regular

Post by Caymin » 10/14/14

Delays kept me in Freeport. Good to know which shipping companies NOT to use in the future.

I overheard people (dressed rather nicely) talking about the “Soulfire Club” and decided to follow. It was decorated for the season and very busy. I had to squeeze my way into a seat at the bar and most tables were occupied by groups as well. Some faces I recognized, but the din was too loud to make out any conversations besides those right next to me. I'm still not sure how I ended up with some large moppet named Creepsey sitting on my lap for almost 15 minutes.

Battyrella was seated at the bar and I got a chance to chat with her. She recognized me and had apparently paid closer attention to my conversation with Caeyla than I’d expected. She spoke of being an associate and occasional worker for “Dame Euryale” (owner of Soulfire), though she wasn’t succinct about her duties. In fact, she was rather hard to pin down conversationally. Flirting seemed to wash over her, though she was happy to continue chatting. Her train of thought seemed to bounce around, depending on whatever caught her attention nearby. Not likely reliable as a contact, but we’ll see.

Dame Euryale was busy keeping tabs on her patrons, but she did converse with me for a few moments. Polite with an air of command about her; she’s not likely one to be manipulated.

I also walked past a Tier’dal woman talking with her large and imposing servant in an empty hallway. He was rather openly vocal about killing 3 people, making off with the body of the important one and leaving 2 bodies (servants) in a basement, which might possibly be discovered. She chastised his negligence and went to grab a Tier’dal male from inside the bar before all 3 departed. (Seeing if they would notice, I leaned against the wall and tookk notes of their conversation from only 10 feet away, but they were oblivious.) I didn’t hear their names, but I’ll recognize them when I see them again. This might be worth looking into. A dangerous way to get a foot in the door with a Noble House of Neriak, or a way to score points with the KoF by turning them in; we shall see.

Caymin
Regular
Regular

Post by Caymin » 10/15/14

I met a “Count Du’Kair” last night, drowning his sorrows in a Freeport tavern. He was dressed to the hilt in finery and mumbling about duty and cost, so I worked on him to learn more. After several drinks, I played him some music to calm his tension and relax his defenses. A bit of mental coaxing followed and he was soon telling me about his recent clandestine visit with the Overlord to request additional munitions and supplies for raids on the Combine Front beyond the Withering Lands. Apparently his squad of raiders had been surprisingly successful in reducing numbers and destroying supplies while making it all appear like animal attacks. (Not too difficult, considering the ferocity of the wildlife in that region). Unfortunately for him, the Overlord denied his request on the grounds that it would be too easy to trace such assistance back to Freeport.

I told him that I ‘knew some people’ that could provide what he needs at a reasonable cost, considering the secretive nature of his request. The armor I can make myself and there are plenty of supplies in the Hall to complete his requisition list. I do, however, need to find someone who can make 40,000 high quality arrows in a relatively short time. Buying that many straight from the marketplace would draw unwanted attention and likely cost more than it would be worth to the Count. I’ll have to see if any of my recent contacts are so capable.

Caymin
Regular
Regular

Post by Caymin » 10/17/14

Getting hold of that many arrows at once from even the most discrete tradesman would leave them at least wondering about who had bought them. Wondering can lead to questions, which could lead to one less skilled craftsman that I’d rather make use of someday instead.

Being the holiday season that it is, I decided to use the “prank” excuse and spread out my needs to seem less noticeable. Three crafters in Freeport, three in Qeynos and four in Neriak (I have yet to establish any contacts in Gorowyn; must see to this soon); each sold three to five thousand arrows to me. Ratonga illusions worked well in Freeport, while Teir’dal illusions were used in Neriak and Half-elf illusions in Qeynos.

“I’m purchasing a lot of arrows to stuff my hunter friend’s entryway with, as a holiday prank! How many do you think I should get?” Four thousand seemed to be the average number I was told, though a few tried to sell me as many as ten thousand. I refused such high numbers, though that would have made acquiring my goal amount easier. Talking them down to my expected number seemed a good way to make my purchase less noteworthy and the disappointment on their faces was a good indication that I was right.

Crafting the armor was time consuming and kept me from some social gatherings that I heard rumors of this morning. However this sale will not only turn a nice profit, but leave Count Du’Kair owing me a favor for arranging it.

Caymin
Regular
Regular

Post by Caymin » 04/02/15

So many changes in such a short time. Business going well and many more contacts.
Personal changes as well. My mentor warned Me about writing to much into a journal, as inevitably they are read by someone else. I will be vague, but some things must be recorded.
So many good changes recently that it couldn't last. I have lost a Treasure. Not completely, but enough that I feel the pain of loss.
I am still blessed though and I am reminded of that fact every day in wonderful ways.

My working relationships with the gnomes have yielded benefits beyond the 'usually popular items" they produce for Me. Combining a teleportation pad with some clockwork digging tools... I am excavating a sizable, secret backyard to my Neriak home. Already started growing big money makers successfully in alcoves... Poisonous mushrooms and hard to cultivate flowers for perfumes. Looking into other possible options with big profit margins.

Oh.. and wrote a new song recently too. It was Well received at the Fancy.
Things are progressing and overall, I am happy.

Caymin
Regular
Regular

Post by Caymin » 05/08/15

It has been said that Good luck is merely the crossroads of adequate preparation and opportunity.
If this is true then I'm enjoying wonderful luck at present.

The recent discoveries in the Phantom Sea and the growing needs of the Brokenskull pirates in the area have been a boom for poison sales. I have had more poisonous mushrooms imported from Guk and successfully started their growth in the hidden alcove behind My Neriak home. As a result, the coffers in the hall have far exceeded my expectation and even my hopes of a mere 6 months ago.

I am the Steward of a noble estate in Qeynos, but I never expected much to come of that beyond owning the property and making use of it to establish contacts here. However Luck has worked in my favor again and now I have two new additions to the hall. The Lady Dancer graces the Hall and Clesta has been hired as My new Head of Security. She's vastly inexperienced, but eager to prove herself. I haven't felt a need for security before, but increasing wealth brings about that need.

I am curiously optimistic if this trend will continue. I must say, it's comforting to see more people in the hall: residents and guests, enjoying the artwork and decorations, making use of the facilities and providing small talk and smiles.

My new song was well received, both at the Fancy and at the Tombstone. The number of venues that I've performed at grows and I thankfully have yet to be rushed off stage. Another big performance this weekend. We will see how it goes. I still have to finalize some dance steps.

Caymin
Regular
Regular

Post by Caymin » 05/13/15

Ladies night was a great success. I was allowed to open the show with a song and close it with a dance. As an entertainer, it doesn’t get much better than that. There were some mild criticisms, but the overwhelming response was Very positive. I will have to work on a new dance for the next show, but thankfully that won’t be for several months.

There was a strong feeling of camaraderie among the performers. I was already friends with each of them, but that shared experience brought us even a bit closer together.

Sales continue to go well. Well enough that I am going to ask Clesta to assist in making some delicate deliveries. That will ease the stress in my schedule a little and besides, every time I get her out to meet with people, the more she will hopefully learn the value of talking to them before swinging at them.

There may be other shifts coming in Hall membership. I am hearing rumors and getting inquiries. I’ll see if they result in anything soon enough.

On an even brighter note, Elisandre joined Me at the Soulfire the other night. I had not realized how much I missed her presence there with Me. It had been over a month since we were last there together. Within moments of seeing her step inside, My mind was flooded with thoughts of our previous visits. When she sat on my lap at that crowded table, I felt complete.

I know her reflective solo journeys back to the Faydark are an important part of keeping in touch with her roots, but I am happier when she is with me. That sentiment is pure selfishness on My part, but it’s never going to change.

Caymin
Regular
Regular

Post by Caymin » 05/14/15

I have been busy lately keeping track of sales and supplies. There will be a lull soon as supply wanes.

I had to ask Clesta to make a couple expensive deliveries for Me. One went well, but she and the buyer were jumped selling the poisons. Clesta didn’t elaborate, but she did her job: took care of the attackers and returned with payment. The buyer was left unconscious, with their merchandise in their arms, but that’s their fault for arranging to meet in such a dangerous place. I’ll tell them to trust in Me and My people more next time. Amusingly Clesta smelled perfumed after the delivery. One of the bottles must have spilled a bit. She was more upset with that than in being attacked.

I had Elisandre do something for Me as well and as expected, she did marvelously. I'm Proud of how hard she tries. After she got back, we took a late night stroll to a secluded island and spent hours looking at the stars and each other. It was a perfect way to wind down from a busy day.

Caymin
Regular
Regular

Post by Caymin » 05/15/15

Things have certainly been busy lately. Feast or Famine, I suppose.

Walking back from the Qeynos docks, I saw someone lying behind a building; a robbing victim who was wearing rags and looked malnourished. I helped get her back to the Hall and Rhy helped tend to her wounds. Her name is Jolynn and as fate would have it, she is Catelynn’s sister. I gave her a place to stay at the estate and told the situation to Catelynn last night, so they should have a heartfelt reunion soon. Jolynn wanted to pay for her room and board with an amulet that she stole as she escaped from Mistmoore’s Castle ( quite a storied life she’s led). I gave the amulet to Maelgrym to research and see if there might be a curse on the item. Last thing I want is some of Mistmoore’s brood assailing the estate.

I went to the Fancy last night to watch My Emerald perform. She did wonderfully with a new song and dance, despite having the head of her Hall in attendance to make her nervous. Kurzou asked Me to fill in as Security again. I’ve worked as Security for the Fancy twice now and both times, had incidents come up. Last night, Gryphyth (Teir’dal slaver... possibly vampire?) made some comments during the show about acquiring a new ratonga pup as a slave and “training it into a proper disciple of hate”. This incensed Slipps to the point that she snuck after him and attacked him with a silver dagger outside the venue. Chaos ensued as He came back inside to seek medical attention and then some friend of Slipps came in frantically searching for her wounded friend ( in lycan form). Slipps was found later and taken care of, but we’ll see what fallout that creates. I may have to warn Kurzou that My helping as security might be an ill omen for the Fancy.

Thankfully, the distracting evening ended up with taking Elisandre to the Treasures Cove and enjoying the view from the balcony. All’s well that ends well.

Caymin
Regular
Regular

Post by Caymin » 05/18/15

Good things continue to happen.

On a new friend’s recommendation, I welcomed a burgeoning crafter into the Hall. The estate has needed some repairs and modifications and a new carpenter was a perfect addition. Apparently she appreciated the facilities at the estate and spoke with other associates. Before long I had several more crafters petition to join. Their references were impeccable and I couldn’t resist smiling as I welcomed them all.

A bit later, I offered to take Clesta out to broaden her experiences in fighting. As we prepared, one friend after another saw us heading out and asked to join us. But the end, we had a full group of 6 running through several dangerous land and I got the impression that Clesta learned a lot. Most profound however, was that she actually thanked Me after we all returned to the estate safely.

Included in our entourage was Jax, who seemed to be having fun leading us around the caverns and halls of Mistmoore’s castle. A good enough time, in fact, that he also asked to join the Hall and I welcomed him without a second thought.

My quiet little estate is bustling with conversation and laughter even moreso now than it perhaps did even during My Mentor’s time as Lord here.

Again I am reminded of his words: Don’t take anything for granted and Fully enjoy the positive moments as they come your way.

Caymin
Regular
Regular

Post by Caymin » 05/20/15

Communication is vital: on the battlefield, in business and in relationships. Not just discussion and not just understanding, but finding the source of differences that rot the foundations and eventually crumble the bridges we work so hard to create.

I had a long and heartfelt talk with Elisandre. How she was starting to feel was never my intention, but it made sense as she explained it to Me. We connect in so many ways and yet there has been a separation between us. We each thought the other wanted it and we were both wrong.

With our new understanding and plans, the smiles seemed brighter and the embraces felt more electric. As if we were years younger, we enjoyed an exciting game of hide and seek in the streets of Freeport. She was far better than I expected and the simple game became a real challenge. When I did finally catch a trace smell of her fragrance, I followed it to the source and we reveled in the games end. But it was far more than that: it was a reflection of our lives. We were both in the game together, but separated. It took both of us, working together, to find each other once again.

Elisandre stayed at My estate last night and I told her how pleased I was to see her there: how she looked like she belonged. She agreed and I couldn’t be happier about My good fortune.