Welcome to the AB Roleplay Community Guide

Gameplay, RP, and other helpful guides.
Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Re: Welcome to the AB Roleplay Community Guide

Post by Slipps » 09/01/11

/poke

Mostly to remind myself that it is here so I can work on the rules for Telis.

Going to skim those links today Kiki and Duv, but a short poll in the wilds puts the top RP rules to be:

Don't be a dick/asshat/jerk. (yes I will write the actual rule to be a tad less blunt, must remember there are kids on the server...)
Be nice. (Which is not the same as being 'good' as opposed to 'evil')
OOC communication is Key! (Ties alot into the be nice request)

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

I am...wordy...

Understandably as a new Role Player the whys and wherefores can be confusing at first, what should I do? How do I get interactions? Where do I go? What are the rules of Role Play (RP)? Here are ten thoughts about RP.

First, be nice, this does not mean don't be evil, it does mean that out of character (OOC), you should take into consideration the other player's feelings, motivations, needs. In return they are also expected to be nice back, in short the golden rule applies so do not be a jerk.

To that purpose, OOC communication is very important in RP, especially when the RP could be life altering for the character. For example, you stop at the broker and see another character standing there, you greet them as you feel your character would, they reply, just like what would happen if you were standing in line at the grocery. Sort of mundane, no need for OOC communication really. However, perhaps your character has decided to say hello today with a good gut stab? Before you walk up and start randomly sheathing steel in other character's bodies, send them a tell first. They may not feel like being stabbed and dealing with the consequences of such In Character (IC) for what could be a very long time. Now the two of you need to decide on the next steps for this chance encounter; do they want to move away before you get there, take the blow, fight back? This is their choice, not yours and they will tell you what they prefer to happen.

This leads into the next 'rule', do not badger, or push, your actions on another. If the other player does not want to be stabbed, and they say so, then do not do it. "But, I'm EVIL and this is how I ACT!" Fine, but be prepared to spend alot of time being avoided and ignored. There would be reasons IC'ly that for this once you did not stab the other player, figure one out while you are in tells with them. Think how you would feel if the situation was reversed. Also, say they do not reply to your tell, in which case, do not stab them, the other player may be away from the keyboard (AFK), or not an RP'r. Just go about your business at the broker and move on.

Be plausible. Have an idea for how your character will be presented when you create them. Where did they come from, what are their motivations, who is their family? Not everyone on Norrath can be the orphaned half sibling of the Antonia who is in love with Lucan and slowly draining his power in order to take over Neriak. Nor should you, two weeks later, decide that your character is really Lucan's father instead and married to Queen Amree, all the while having an affair with Quellious to redeem you from killing your entire family. Now, the only plausible part of this whole scenario is that you may be an orphan. However there are RP'ly thousands of orphans EQ2, while having NPC parents could be tricky for the first time RP'r, it is certainly refreshing! Further, though you may have met any of the other persona mentioned, the chance that you would be darling chums, or instant mortal enemies is very slight. Be consistant with your RP, keep your own story straight, do not constantly change things to suit whim and fancy. As a new RP'r chose something simple to start, your character will grow and their story become rich via the RP you find on the way.

"Why can't I be UBER?" Well, most people simply are not, and in an RP community, it is the people that you RP with that decide if you are or not. Uber is earned.

The RP flag does not mean you deserve RP. It does mean that you are open to RP from other characters, however if you want it, you need to go find it, or create it. The Antonia Bayle server (AB) is rich with venues to find RP, from player run taverns to player run festivals, to player run RP chat channels. There are also places in the 'open air' where one can find RP, but you have to interact. If someone talks to you, or bumps into you, react. Talk back, check your pockets, yell thief, say excuse me, whatever you feel your character would do in that situation. Go to the taverns and festivals, just 'listen' for a while if you wish. Walk the streets, yes walk, get off the mount, turn off the speed buffs, hit shift+r and walk about once in a while. Riding mounts into a building is more likely to get you ignored, dashing past gives no time for interaction. Respect other peoples RP as you wish them to respect yours, this includes their homes and guild halls. If you walk into a guild hall and see guards there, even if they are Non-Player Character (NPC) guards, treat them as an active part of the environment. Assume that they will stop you, and that you cannot get past that gate. Use OOC or /shout to garner the attention of those inside, just remember, it is up to them to decide to 'answer the door'. People in an instance does not mean that they are willing to RP, or even able to break free from the RP that they are in. Also understand that if you take your Necromancer into a bar in Qeynos with your undead pet following you, the owners and patrons there may not take to kindly to your presence. Similarly, dancing into a Freeport establishment and spouting off about the wonders of Mithanial Marr, might get you arrested at best.

Respect other peoples RP as you wish them to respect yours, this includes their homes and guild halls. If you walk into a guild hall and see guards there, even if they are NPC guards, treat them as an active part of the environment. Assume that they will stop you, and that you cannot get past that gate. Use OOC or /shout to garner the attention of those inside, just remember, it is up to them to decide to 'answer the door'. People in an instance does not mean that they are willing to RP, or even able to break free rom the RP that they are in. Also understand that if you take your Necromancer into a bar in Qeynos with your undead pet following you, the owners and patrons there may not take to kindly to your presence. Similarly, dancing into a Freeport establishment and spouting off about the wonders of Mithanial Marr, might get you arrested at best. However do be willing to compromise sometimes if you really do want that RP or to further your own story. Strict adherance to black and white will have you missing all those wonderful shades of gray, again, communicate with the other player and see where the RP can bend a little to fit both of you.

Along the lines of respect, NO means NO. Especially here in the AB community. RP does not mean cyber (ERP), though there is ERP, most interactions are not, nor do they lead to such. Not to say we are prudes, far from it, but such things are kept to tells, group, private channel, or tightly locked doors. Really, we do not want to hear you slurping in the corner and if your intended partner says no OOC'ly and IC'ly gives you a sharp slap, then take the hint and look elsewhere. Most of the community that I know, prefer to have great OOC trust in any partners before taking that step and even then Fade To Black (FTB) is very
common. Also remember, that cute elf might be a child, or the player themselves may not be the gender of the character (should such things bother you).

IC feelings and actions normally are not the same as OOC ones. Characters that are dire enemies In Game (IG) may be played by people that are really friends. A married couple IG may have no OOC romantic feelings. Do not get offended OOC'ly if you are insulted IC'ly by another player, really, it's not you, it's your toon, and their toon. This is another time that OOC communication is very good and helps to guide the character reactions without both sides being hurt.

Have fun. This is your chance to explore lives and reactions with hundreds of other people without too much risk. AB is inhabited, just like in Real Life (RL), by many different people and personalities, you may even make some RL virtual friends that will find that even if your toon is not, maybe you, are Uber.

AB: Antonia Bayle, when noted as AB this means the Server, not the woman.
AFG: Away From Game
AFK: Away From Keyboard
ERP: Erotic RP, also called Cyber
FTB: Fade To Black
IC: In Character
IG: In Game
NPC: Non-Player Character
OOC: Out of Character
PC: Player Character
RL: Real Life
RP: Role Play
VC: Voice Chat
Last edited by Slipps on 09/02/11, edited 2 times in total.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/01/11

Will that fit in the book? :shock: With room for venues?
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

I can trim it down actually, but maybe we need two books!

Telis is looking at it.

Kikiriki
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Kikiriki » 09/01/11

Maybe the points you're trying to make, while great, should be numerated and categorized for easy picking over?

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

*nodsnodsnods at Kiki*

Considering that 3/4 of these are ones I hear from you all the time :)

Somehow I lost one...

Understandably as a new Role Player the whys and wherefores can be confusing at first, what should I do? How do I get interactions? Where do I go? What are the rules of Role Play (RP)? Here are ten thoughts about RP.

1) Be nice, this does not mean don't be evil, it does mean that out of character (OOC), you should take into consideration the other player's feelings, motivations, needs. In return they are also expected to be nice back, in short the golden rule applies so do not be a jerk.

2) OOC communication is very important in RP, especially when the RP could be life altering for the character. Send them a tell first. This is their choice, not yours and they will tell you what they prefer to happen.

3) Do not badger, or push, your actions on another. If the other player does not want to be stabbed, and they say so, then do not do it. Think how you would feel if the situation was reversed.

4) Be plausible. Have an idea for how your character will be presented when you create them. Where did they come from, what are their motivations, who is their family? Be consistant with your RP, keep your own story straight, do not constantly change things to suit whim and fancy. As a new RP'r chose something simple to start, your character will grow and their story become rich via the RP you find on the way.

5) Uber is earned.

6) The RP flag does not mean you deserve RP. It does mean that you are open to RP from other characters, however if you want it, you need to go find it, or create it. The Antonia Bayle server (AB) is rich with venues to find RP, from player run taverns to player run festivals, to player run RP chat channels. There are also places in the 'open air' where one can find RP, but you have to interact. Go to the taverns and festivals, just 'listen' for a while if you wish. Walk the streets, yes walk, get off the mount, turn off the speed buffs, hit shift+r and walk about once in a while. Respect other peoples RP as you wish them to respect yours, this includes their homes and guild halls.

7)Respect other peoples RP as you wish them to respect yours, this includes their homes and guild halls. If you walk into a guild hall and see guards there, even if they are NPC guards, treat them as an active part of the environment. However do be willing to compromise sometimes if you really do want that RP or to further your own story.

8 ) NO means NO. Especially here in the AB community. RP does not mean cyber (ERP), though there is ERP, most interactions are not, nor do they lead to such.

9) IC feelings and actions normally are not the same as OOC ones.

10) Have fun. This is your chance to explore lives and reactions with hundreds of other people without too much risk.
Last edited by Slipps on 09/02/11, edited 2 times in total.

Kikiriki
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Kikiriki » 09/01/11

I like that much better. It's condensed, simplified, and not a text blast. Good work.

Zhadowsee
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Zhadowsee » 09/02/11

I'd very much like something on compromise mentioned. Too often do I see, "I can't RP with your character because my character will not cooperate with this one tiny detail of his." By staying 100% loyal to their character's style, that player has just missed a RP opportunity.

It ties in with a mantra I learned while LARPing. "Everyone is a storyteller." Your character has a Story, so RP it in a way that can be enjoyable for others around you--not just for you alone.

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Slipps » 09/02/11

I found the missing rule! Not sure how it was missing...

Zee, I will add the compromise bit to the new and no longer missing #7.

Inmora
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Inmora » 09/02/11

You forgot 11 dear. "Always be nice and sweet to the loveliest Ratonga in game. Slipps." :)

Over all, you guys have done a wonderful job at this.

Telis
Resident
Resident

Post by Telis » 09/02/11

This was amazingly well done, Slipps. I'll get this into the RP guide as soon as possible as well as listed major events.

WHICH TO SAY: For now the final section will be added soon, which is the Major Events Chapter, so far we have....

Festival of Unity - June
Festival of Discord - Spetember / October
Faydwer Faire - April
Festival in the Sands - August

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Slipps » 09/02/11

Discord is usually the first week of November so it ties into the Nights of the Dead.

I also suggest listnig them in the book in season order

Faydwer
Unity
Sands
Discord

Layla
RM Management
RM Management

Post by Layla » 09/02/11

Telis wrote:This was amazingly well done, Slipps. I'll get this into the RP guide as soon as possible as well as listed major events.

WHICH TO SAY: For now the final section will be added soon, which is the Major Events Chapter, so far we have....

Festival of Unity - June
Festival of Discord - Spetember / October
Faydwer Faire - April
Festival in the Sands - August

Festival of Discord is October/November

Araxus
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Araxus » 09/02/11

Telis wrote: Festival in the Sands - August
It's just "Festival of Sands". *saves word count*

Telis
Resident
Resident

Post by Telis » 10/18/11

The AB Roleplayer's COmmunity guide is now 2nd Edition! Updates to the listings have been made, rules and events added, and small edits have been made, and ready for publishing!

New copy has replaced the previous one.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 10/18/11

I've made this a sticky, and it's my intention to edit the thread some. In some cases this just means deleting fluff posts, and in others, I see some grammar and content errors. I'll be getting with people on an individual basis before I edit anyone's posts, though!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 12/12/11

While some new roleplayer's may go Gold under Free-to-play, Free and Silver player's need to buy Broker Tokens to purchase from the Broker. Even at 1 copper, it now costs real money to get what you need off the Broker for some player's. How many will buy a player-written book over a needed piece of gear? Might we brainstorm alternative means of getting future copies out?
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Zhadowsee
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Zhadowsee » 12/12/11

In another thread I mentioned the idea of RPers putting a small blurb into their bios directing fellow RPers to websites of their choice. Perhaps they can be directed to the Raven's site and urged to find a specific thread, for example.

As I also mentioned, RPers tend to be prone to use, and view, bios. For F2P RPers, the Bio costs nothing to look at, as does the website they would be viewing. A brief sentence in one's bio can penetrate the newer RP community and help them learn what to expect when participating upon the server.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/17/12

Is there a 3rd edition being composed for this project? I finally composed a more brief post to sticky at the Roleplaying forum. I feel this is more concise and hopefully will get new roleplayer's into roleplay more quickly.

https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/pos ... 8&#5747174

Inqe
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Inqe » 10/05/13

I will go over this, freshen it and have a Smallcorners get it into books for distribution in the next couple weeks or less.

Telis
Resident
Resident

Post by Telis » 04/12/14

I know this is ressurecting an old thread, but today marks another edition being made. (Yeah, I've been lazy, sorry.) Right now, Chapter 3, the taverns listing is being removed as Slipps has made a venue guide, which means we got space for a NEW chapter, or expand on OLD ones.

Suggestions and advice would be helpful, as this is also as much a community project than a personal one.

Ereon
Regular
Regular

Post by Ereon » 03/13/16

Telis wrote:I know this is ressurecting an old thread, but today marks another edition being made. (Yeah, I've been lazy, sorry.) Right now, Chapter 3, the taverns listing is being removed as Slipps has made a venue guide, which means we got space for a NEW chapter, or expand on OLD ones.

Suggestions and advice would be helpful, as this is also as much a community project than a personal one.
Where is the latest guide?

Inqe
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Inqe » 03/14/16

Telis'? Or the Venue guide?

That post before yours was two years old, he does not make many anymore. A request may be mailed to him.
The Venue guide is on the broker, or I can send you one.

Ereon
Regular
Regular

Post by Ereon » 03/15/16

*blink* Always look at the year...