Bronycon 2019 to be Final Con

MLP Fan forum
Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Bronycon 2019 to be Final Con

Post by Psia » 07/29/18

phpBB [media]
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Re: Bronycon 2019 to be Final Con

Post by Tregarde » 07/30/18

Well, that's sad. Doing some digging around the only bit of hard data I could find was that this year had a little over 5k attendance, when at it's height it was twice that.

On the rumor side (can't vouch for how accurate any of these are):
* Because of the drop they looked for a new, smaller place to host the con but couldn't secure any
* They've been having trouble getting enough volunteers to run the con
* G4 is ending in 2019, which makes a good time to end the con also
* G5 will be starting soon after G4 ends.

A lot of speculation out there. But I'm not surprised that attendance at the con has been dropping. Fandoms fade, it happens. Just look at us here, how many posts have been made in the past couple years? I don't necessarily thing that means any of us stopped watching (I even got my wife hooked and we're waiting for the latest season to hit Netflix). But we don't seem to be as fervent as we use to be.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 07/30/18

Mainly because the quality of the story writing declined.
I kept with it for a while, but lost interest in the season before this one.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 01/12/19

While I think the show remains strong, I'm also not surprised. MLP has been going on 8 seasons almost 9 years now, and season 9 will probably be the last. The Brony fandom surged in popularity like few things ever have; compare it to Star Wars or Star Trek, because nothing else comes close in terms of fans and conventions. It was inevitable that as the fandom went into it's long-tail period that the number of cons would decline. BUT.... there are other cons and I think the fandom will retain a loyal core for years to come. I know I'm not done yet!