Posts from Whoville (Doctor Who)

All manner of fun stuff!
Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: Posts from Whoville (Doctor Who)

Post by Psia » 06/13/17

phpBB [media]
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 06/13/17

I had to run out to pick up my pizza and missed the most important part of this weeks episode. This character, named Alpha Centauri. Fascinating.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/03/17

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/04/17

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/15/17

Just TWO MORE DAYS.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/16/17

http://nerdist.com/doctor-who-jodie-whi ... hirteenth/

And the New Doctor is…JODIE WHITTAKER!

phpBB [media]

After months and months of speculation and guessing and wishing and hoping about who might get to take on the title role of the Doctor in BBC’s Doctor Who, taking the reins from Peter Capaldi, we got our answer after watching Roger Federer win his eighth Wimbledon title. So who would be the Thirteenth Doctor (don’t pedant, me folks), and the first under new showrunner Chris Chibnall? Well, it was a name we all should have guessed but didn’t…Broadchurch star Jodie Whittaker!

Meet the Thirteenth Doctor #DoctorWho #Doctor13 https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status ... 85/video/1
— Doctor Who Official (@bbcdoctorwho) July 16, 2017

Whittaker has portrayed Beth Latimer, the grieving mother turned advocate, in Chibnall’s own crime drama series since 2013, and with that show ending, it seems Chibnall wanted to take with him a bit of Broadchurch for his new gig. Whitaker is breathtakingly good on that show, and has also given fantastic turns in Black Mirror–in perhaps the show’s most obliterating episode–as well as the cult sci-fi film Attack the Block. Broadchurch, of course, also starred former Doctor David Tennant.

Obviously, the announcement is a milestone for the series, which has given the lead role to men since 1963. Lately, with the casting of Michelle Gomez as the Master, and several references and nods in the past six seasons, it’s been increasingly likely that the role of the Doctor could, and perhaps would someday, go to a woman. We’re thrilled that that day is now, and especially that the mantle has gone to such a fantastic and exciting actor.

This announcement will surely have its share of detractors, but for a show over 50 years old, there needs to be change, and this one is frankly well overdue. The Doctor is a hero for everybody, and I know just as many women who love the show as man, perhaps even more. And certainly now, in 2017 especially, having as many heroes as possible appeal to as many people as possible is nothing but a positive thing.

As much as we’re sad to see Peter Capaldi step down, we’re 100% here for the Jodie Whittaker regime!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/17/17

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 07/17/17

The temper tantrums are fun. Along with the attempts to try to hide misogyny behind an appeal to tradition fallacy.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 07/19/17

It's amusing how the same people who appeal to tradition are also the ones saying "the show is about change!" when people were sad that David Tennant was leaving.

Though, I can't say I'm super happy about picking *that* actor. I would have preferred an actor I liked better. Jodie Whittaker is my least favorite Broadchurch cast member. If it had to be someone from Broadchurch, I would have preferred someone like Olivia Colman or Charlotte Rampling. Preferably Charlotte Rampling. She would have been awesome.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/19/17

Huh. Was Rampling considered? I agree she would have been an excellent choice.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 07/20/17

I don't know if she was considered, but if Chibnall was trolling his Broadchurch cast for a new Doctor, I wish he'd gone for her instead.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/23/17

http://io9.gizmodo.com/steven-moffat-pu ... 1797175343

Steven Moffat Puts the Doctor Vs. Doctor Who Name Debate to Rest

It has vexed fans for years that some people call the main character of Doctor Who “Doctor Who” instead of just “The Doctor.” Well, departing showrunner Steven Moffat has some good news for the side which has insisted for years that either name is correct.

At the show’s San Diego Comic-Con panel today, Moffat had this answer:
If you take continuity seriously and, be honest, you all do, there isn’t any doubt about this. I’m sorry. It was established in “The War Machines” that his name is Doctor Who.

He doesn’t often call himself Doctor Who because it’s a bloody stupid name, but he signs himself Doctor W. The third Doctor had a car with “WHO” on the license plate. He’s not a master of subtlety. No need to be mysterious, I’ll call myself Doctor Who.
That said, Moffat threw a bone to the people on the other side of the argument. “If you prefer to believe that he’s really calling himself ‘the Doctor’ and that’s just the name of the show, that’s equally true,” he said. “Because what would Doctor Who continuity be without a blatant and unresolvable contradiction?”

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 07/24/17

Moffat is full of shit. The Doctor has always ONLY ever been called "the Doctor" in the show. Regardless of what the credits say, the show itself has called him "the Doctor", and I don't mean at the end when the credits roll. I mean the ACTUAL DIALOGUE. In fact, EVERY time he's been asked, he's said, "Just the Doctor." What part of "Just the Doctor" does Moffat not fucking understand?

And since fucking WHEN has he signed his name "Doctor W"?

I'm so glad he's going away.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 07/24/17

On a different note, here's the trailer for the Christmas ep.

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 08/10/17

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 08/15/17

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 08/23/17

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4 ... octor-who/

Bradley Walsh set to be Jodie Whittaker’s companion in the new Doctor Who.

Broadchurch meets Law and Order UK meets Doctor Who. After each commercial break, DW will return with the traditional 'thunk-thunk' from Law and Order (from both the US and UK series). :)

phpBB [media]

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 08/23/17

Wait, hold on. This is The Sun, who loves to make shit up about Doctor Who.

Shit, and I got all excited and everything. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 08/24/17

Yeah, the Sun or the Mirror are not the most reliable sources. Plus it's been a few days and still no official word from the BBC or anyone involved in the show, so I'd file this under "rumor" for now. They seem to be playing their cards close this time around... after all, we didn't know they were even considering having a woman for the Doctor till Whittaker was announced.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 08/26/17

Yeah, The Sun once "revealed" back in Series 4 that Harriet Jones was...get this...the red Dalek in The Stolen Earth. All because the interior of her house had a lot of red in it. Unfortunately that publication is perfectly willing to just make shit up for readership.

I so want it to be true, though. He'd be an awesome companion. And we haven't had an older companion in a while. And definitely not an older *main* companion since, well... Evelyn Smythe in the Sixth Doctor audios.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/18/17

The Doctor I never forget a face.
The Curator I know you don’t. And in years to come you might find yourself revisiting a few. But just the old favorites, eh?
Tell me the above wouldn't be hysterically fun?!? This is Tennant as the demon, Crowley, for the Good Omens telefilm.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/29/17

When I watched this episode for the first time, I realized this is the moment that established our Doctor.

phpBB [media]

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 09/29/17

Oh yeah. The Aztecs was a really amazing story.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/09/17

Teaser for the animated version of “Shada,” the legendary Douglas Adams-penned Doctor Who serial that never made it to the screen, thanks to a BBC strike in the late 1970s.

phpBB [media]

“Shada” will be out on digital download courtesy of BBC Worldwide on November 24, then on Blu-ray and DVD on December 4. Full press release at the link below.

http://news.drwho-online.co.uk/BBC-Worl ... u-ray.aspx

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 10/10/17

It looks a lot better than their last attempt to do an animated Shada back in 2003. Very nice!