Posts from Whoville (Doctor Who)

All manner of fun stuff!
Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: Posts from Whoville (Doctor Who)

Post by Psia » 10/14/16

phpBB [media]
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/16/16

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/03/16

Kinda cool!

https://www.cultbox.co.uk/videos/what-i ... isten-here

phpBB [media]

Just in time for Halloween, YouTube user GeorgeCMusic explores how the Doctor Who theme might sound if legendary horror director and composer John Carpenter took a shot at it.

He commented: “Continuing my loose series of “What If”s, here’s how I imagine John Carpenter (in association with Alan Howarth, circa 1981) might have done a Doctor Who theme. Synths used were: Arturia Prophet VS, ARP Odyssey VSTi, LinnDrum samples, Amore Grand Piano, NI FM7. Also used was the Ferric Classic Tape simulator to give the mix a bit of a retro crunch.”
And extended version is on SoundCloud.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Shank
Dream Warden
Dream Warden

Post by Shank » 11/06/16

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/14/16

Good grief. We haven't even seen the new DW season of stories. Or met the newest Companion. But BBC is already shoving Capaldi out the door now.

https://www.cultbox.co.uk/news/headline ... te-in-2018
BBC bosses apparently want Doctor Who to feel like “a brand new show” when new showrunner Chris Chibnall takes over in 2018.

According to tabloid reports today, the shake-up will see Peter Capaldi and new co-star Pearl Mackie departing as the Twelfth Doctor his new companion, allowing Chibnall a “clean slate” for his era.

Capaldi has played the Doctor since 2013 and Mackie will make her debut as Bill Potts in the first episode of Season 10 next April.

Here’s everything we know so far about Season 10.

An insider source is quoted as saying: “BBC management wants a return to the format from the David Tennant era, when you had a dashing male lead and young female companion. Merchandising has dropped off sharply in recent years and there is a strong desire to boost the show’s popularity among kids.”

Broadchurch creator Chris Chibnall was announced as the new lead writer of Doctor Who in January and his first season will launch in 2018.

He has written several previous Doctor Who episodes, such as ’42’, ‘Dinosaurs on a Spaceship’and ‘The Power of Three’. His other writing credits include Torchwood, The Great Train Robbery, United, Law & Order: UK and Life On Mars.

Chibnall commented earlier this year: “…I’m relishing the thought of working with the exceptional team at BBC Wales to create new characters, creatures and worlds for the Doctor to explore.”

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 12/27/16

phpBB [media]

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 12/27/16

I think Bill will be fun! And on top of all that, apparently Nardole is also going to be a full-time companion. On top of us having our first alien companion in a while, we'll also have our first male and female companions in the TARDIS that aren't in a relationship since Rose and Jack. Sounds kinda nice.

(I'm still not sure I buy the explanation for why Nardole's head's back on his body, but I won't discuss it yet. You'll see on Thursday's RMTV stream. They explain it during the Christmas episode.)

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 01/18/17

And the next companion is.....

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 01/18/17

I have this t-shirt. It's glorious.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 02/02/17

Well, Peter Capaldi's time as the Doctor will be coming to a close soon. It's way too early to speculate who may be #13, but there's already some petitions for adding diversity to the role...

https://www.thedailymash.co.uk/news/art ... 0201121396
New Doctor Who should be a Dalek, say Daleks
01-02-17

DALEKS have demanded that the new Doctor Who should be a Dalek.

The Skaro natives have petitioned the BBC for ‘better representation’ from a show which has historically ‘erased and demonised’ their proud race.

The Supreme Dalek said: “It’s not the 1960s anymore. These narratives about heroic Gallifreyans saving humanoids from extermination are outdated and offensive.

“My son is an eight-year-old New Paradigm Dalek and his eyestalk droops whenever he turns on his favourite show to see that yet again, the Daleks are the baddies.

“Imagine how proud he’d be to see a time-travelling Dalek up there, quipping wittily while saving the galaxy.

“The time has come for a more diverse Doctor Who, and that means giving a Dalek – many of whom are RADA-trained – the lead role.

“A four-slice toaster could play the Dalek Doctor’s nubile assistant, with some sexual chemistry between them to keep it interesting.”

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 02/03/17

*cackles*

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 02/11/17

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/06/17

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/classic-mo ... -83391.htm

The original Mondasian Cybermen return to Doctor Who as filming begins on the final block of the forthcoming series…

Filming has begun on the final two episodes of Doctor Who series 10, with this first look image revealing the return of a much-feared classic foe.

The Doctor (Peter Capaldi) is pictured with the Mondasian Cybermen – the original version of the Doctor’s deadly enemies who hail from the planet Mondas and have not been seen in Doctor Who for over fifty years.

The Mondasian Cybermen – Peter Capaldi’s long-time favourite foe – will return in episodes 11 and 12 of the series, alongside Capaldi as the Doctor, Pearl Mackie as Bill Potts, Matt Lucas as Nardole and Michelle Gomez as Missy. The episodes, written by Steven Moffat and directed by Rachel Talalay, are now filming in Cardiff.

The new series of Doctor Who begins on BBC One on Saturday 15 April.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/06/17

This suggests to me that Capaldi's exit is being filmed with this episode. Sounds like the original Cybermen will kill our Doctor. So the hand-off for the series should occur soon after. With the new showrunner focused upon casting of our new Doctor.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/07/17

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/15/17

http://newsthump.com/2017/03/15/doctor- ... fty-years/

Doctor Who to offer Theresa May time travel advice as she prepares to take entire country back fifty years

The famous time lord has offered his assistance to the Prime Minister as she gets ready to set in motion the formal process for transporting Great Britain back to its pre-EU days.

The well travelled adventurer believes that the many years of experience under his belt in the field of time travel will be appreciated by Mrs May, whose only experience of time travel thus far is the fortnightly church tea party at her father’s vicarage.

The Doctor, who is originally from a planet called Gallifrey which is lucky enough to be free of both Tories and controversial referenda, told press, “As you know, I have a keen interest in the goings-on of planet Earth, and the last twelve months have been quite remarkable – albeit due to some severely ill-informed decisions by the voting public.

“So as Mrs May triggers the infamous Article 50, I have offered my guiding hand to assist her as she plunges Britain back in time by several decades.”

Whilst the Prime Minister is understood to have gratefully accepted the Doctor’s help, Brexit voter and red bus believer Simon Williams responded, “Oh great, another expert. Didn’t we make ourselves clear we’ve had enough of those?

“She may have vocally opposed Brexit before the referendum but the Prime Minister obviously knows what she is doing.”

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 03/15/17

That's awesome.

Oh, and Series 10 has a trailer out now, finally.

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/05/17

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-04- ... -countdown

There's a surprise so big in the new series of Doctor Who that it comes with a countdown...

When departing Doctor Who showrunner Steven Moffat got up on stage before the press screening of the series ten opener, his main aim was to convince the audience not to watch part of what was about to be shown. Moffat asked us to close our eyes at a certain point during the episode two trailer, shown immediately after the main event, and save ourselves from the spoiler. And it's a warning I feel duty bound to pass on...

"This is just a public warning," said a playful Moffat. "Some people hate spoilers and some people love spoilers – and everybody hates me whatever way they think about it. So this is my last attempt in this role to avoid hatred.

"At the end of the episode there will be yet another awesome trailer for Doctor Who... at the very end of the trailer there is, frankly, an enormous spoiler, a spoiler that may actually melt your brains. But I promise you, you'd be better off not knowing because awesome though it will be here, it will be even more awesome in a few weeks' time. So we're gonna give you the option, in our frankly camp and ridiculous way...

"There will come up a warning and then there will be a countdown to the spoiler, and then there will be a warning to 'blink now'. If at that point you close your eyes and wait until you hear the cliffhanger noise, you will have a better experience in a few weeks’ time."

So there you have it, warning delivered. And, yes, I am reliably informed that the same countdown will appear in the trailer when it airs on BBC1 on 15th April after the first episode.

And, of course, I want you to have the same option to close your eyes that all the journalists in the room had tonight (even though, like all the journalists, none of you will choose it).

Suffice it to say that, as far as certain fans will be concerned, it's the kind of surprise for which phrases such as "melt the internet", "OMG!" and, simply, "squeeeeeee!" were invented.

And if we're lucky, it may just fill in an important gap in Time Lord history.

The countdown has begun...

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 04/05/17

All 26 seasons of classic Doctor Who finally have a U.S. streaming home
http://www.blastr.com/2017-4-5/all-26-s ... aming-home
As of this week, all 26 seasons and all seven Doctors who lived them are available to stream on BritBox, along with some extras like The Doctors Revisited series that aired for the show's 50th anniversary in 2013. The episodes are all rather neatly categorized, broken down chronologically by Doctor, but there are also collections of episodes focusing on specific monsters and allies, and even guides for new viewers. So, if you wanted to set up that perfect weekend Dalek marathon, now you can. Plus, according to Variety, the service also plans to add audio of the lost Who episodes, so you can get as close to the complete run as possible until someone finds that footage in a basement somewhere.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/10/17

I honestly wish this hadn't been leaked at all. Would have been a nice surprise. Sticking with tradition, I'm guessing one of the new DW episode will be called, The Two Masters.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-04- ... the-master
John Simm is returning to BBC sci-fi series Doctor Who as The Master, it has been confirmed.

The actor last played the evil Time Lord in 2009/2010 special The End of Time opposite David Tennant's Doctor, before regenerating offscreen into Michelle Gomez’s new incarnation Missy.

“I can confirm that it’s true, thanks to the power of time travel I’m back,” Simm said. “It’s always a pleasure to work with this great team of people and I can’t wait for you all to see what The Master gets up to in the next series.”

Steven Moffat, writer and executive producer, added: "Nothing stays secret for long on Doctor Who but you'll have to wait a little bit longer to see exactly what The Master is up to and how he makes his return to face the Doctor.

“It’s been a huge pleasure to have fan favourites John Simm and Michelle Gomez face to face in the same role! It’s not often you get to see a solo personality clash."

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 04/10/17

*perks up* Okay, now this intrigues me. The question is, are we going slightly saner Mr. Saxon Simm!Master, or is it going to be bleached, extra crazy Simm!Master?

Also, it would be interesting to see the Doctor's reaction, considering the last time he saw the Simm!Master was when they saved each other's lives.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 04/25/17

So, you know how we were excited (or at least pleasantly surprised) that Ralph Little, Jonny from Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps, was going to be in Doctor Who.

Well...he looked so different with his rugged facial hair that we totally missed him! He was the angry leader-ish dude among the settlers in the last episode.

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/27/17

phpBB [media]

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 05/02/17

Who wouldn't want to have breakfast with seven Doctors?

phpBB [media]

(Also, David cracks me up. "Peter Davison...he's the father-in-law, he has to say yes." He forgot to say Colin, too, but maybe Colin agreed to come after he recorded it. Or he's just going daft, who knows.)

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/13/17

phpBB [media]