Posts from Whoville (Doctor Who)

All manner of fun stuff!
Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: Posts from Whoville (Doctor Who)

Post by Psia » 10/11/17

An interesting caption, eh?
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/22/17

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/en ... cba0a5c9da
Meet the cast on the all new series of Doctor Who!
Sunday 22 October 2017, 20:31

When Jodie Whittaker takes over as the Thirteenth Doctor on the global hit show next year, she will be joined by an all new regular cast.

BBC announces today (October 10, 2017) that Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole and Mandip Gill will line-up as the new regular cast on Doctor Who.

Bradley will star as Graham, Tosin will play Ryan and Mandip will play Yasmin.

Also joining the series in a returning role is Sharon D Clarke.

New head writer and executive producer Chris Chibnall, who made the decision to cast the first ever woman in the iconic role, is also shaking up who will travel with the Doctor in the TARDIS, with a team of new characters.

In more exclusive news, it is confirmed that the new series will be a ten week run of fifty minute episodes in Autumn 2018, kicking off with a feature length hour for the opening launch.

Chris Chibnall says : “The new Doctor is going to need new friends. We’re thrilled to welcome Mandip, Tosin and Bradley to the Doctor Who family. They’re three of Britain’s brightest talents and we can’t wait to see them dive into brand new adventures with Jodie’s Doctor. Alongside them, we’re delighted that Sharon D Clarke is also joining the show."

Jodie Whittaker says : "I am so excited to share this huge adventure with Mandip, Tosin and Bradley. It's a dream team!"

Bradley Walsh says : “I remember watching William Hartnell as the first Doctor. Black and white made it very scary for a youngster like myself. I was petrified but even though I’d watch most of it from behind the sofa through my fingers, I became a fan. I then queued up for ages to get into the Carlton picture house in Watford to watch the great Peter Cushing appear as the Doctor in a full length feature film made in glorious colour. Am I thrilled to be part of this whole ground breaking new dawn for the Doctor?? Oh yes!”

Mandip Gill says : “I am over the moon to be joining the Doctor Who family. This is an iconic show with an amazing fanbase and I look forward to everything that brings. Certain roles seem unattainable and this is one of those, so much so I didn't believe it to be true for the first few weeks. To be working alongside the likes of Jodie, Bradley and my old friend Tosin is thrilling. This show is worlds away from the work I've done previously and that's the part that excites me the most.”

Tosin Cole says : "I'm grateful and excited to be a part of this journey with the team. I'm looking forward to jumping in this Doctor Who universe."

Matt Strevens, Executive Producer, BBC Studios says : “I am thrilled to welcome Bradley, Mandip and Tosin to the new Who family. Working with three such talented actors is going to be a lot of fun. The Doctor is in fine company.”

Piers Wenger, Controller of BBC Drama says : "The casting of Mandip, Tosin and Bradley is a mark of the new creative ambition Chris is bringing to Doctor Who. He's already made history with the casting of Jodie. These three new characters complete a new and utterly unmissable team aboard the Tardis."

Doctor Who is a BBC Studios production for BBC One and a BBC AMERICA co-production. BBC Worldwide are the international distributors for Doctor Who.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 10/24/17

WOOT! Glad that rumor was true about Bradley Walsh. Though, I do worry about how many companions there will be in the TARDIS. One of the problems with the Fifth Doctor's era that most fans agree on was that there were too many companions. Fingers crossed that Chibnall can manage to make the companions' relationship with the Doctor something special despite the Doctor having to split her time between three people.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 11/09/17

First pic of the Doctor's new look:

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/status ... 52/photo/1

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 11/09/17

The suspenders are odd, but not an issue. The Doctor always has odd fashion. it's the pants pulled way too high that bug me... ><

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/09/17

Nanu...nanu!
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 11/10/17

Huh,I hadn't noticed that. Think that really is the inspiration?

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 11/10/17

I dunno. Maybe a mixture of that, with the color scheme on the shirt of Four's scarf?

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/21/17

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/23/17

John Weasley!

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 11/28/17

The Modern Doctor Who Episodes That Never Got Made
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-modern-doct ... 1820773369

I got to say, I'm glad the first one never got made. It would turned the Doctor in a really disturbing creep.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 11/29/17

Tregarde wrote:
11/28/17
The Modern Doctor Who Episodes That Never Got Made
https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-modern-doct ... 1820773369

I got to say, I'm glad the first one never got made. It would turned the Doctor in a really disturbing creep.
Yeeesh, yeah.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 12/07/17

From a recent Tom Baker interview:

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/do ... awn-french

Who would you like to see in the Time Lord role in the future?
I would have thought Dawn French would have been a good Doctor Who, because she's got such a wry sense of humour and also has a way with her that faintly [suggests] she's got secrets.”

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 12/08/17

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 12/26/17

If you can't wait, see 12 handing the baton to 13 here:

phpBB [media]

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 12/26/17

Psia wrote:
12/07/17
From a recent Tom Baker interview:

http://www.gq-magazine.co.uk/article/do ... awn-french

Who would you like to see in the Time Lord role in the future?
I would have thought Dawn French would have been a good Doctor Who, because she's got such a wry sense of humour and also has a way with her that faintly [suggests] she's got secrets.”
Ohmygod! Being a huge lover of Vicar of Dibley, I'd have loved this. ;) As a Yank, I haven't seen her much in anything else, but she's brilliant in that show.

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 12/26/17

Tregarde wrote:
12/26/17
If you can't wait, see 12 handing the baton to 13 here:

phpBB [media]
I love her initial reaction. I can't wait to see how this pans out.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 12/26/17

One of these days, the Doctor will learn not to regenerate inside the TARDIS. ;)

But yes, I liked her reaction, short as it was.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 12/30/17

Okay. While I know that there is much more to the TARDIS than her control room, it sure looks gutted to me by events. And if she is so badly damaged and without her Doctor, how the heck will they unite?

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 12/30/17

I'm sure she'll end up landing on Earth somehow.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 12/30/17

During our stream of Twice Upon a Time, we did note the extreme sexism being displayed by One. And we agreed right then that it really didn't ring true with how the character was portrayed in those earliest days of Doctor Who. I found it very confusing. This item really helps to put my pov into perspective.

https://doctorwhowatch.com/2017/12/29/41351
Some people save the best for last. With his handling of the First Doctor, Steven Moffat may have done the exact opposite.

Over his long run as showrunner, Steven Moffat has made many controversial decisions. Some, like introducing the War Doctor or bringing back Gallifrey, I’m at least ok with. Others, like bringing back Clara in Hell Bent, not so much. Usually, these choices can be described as “divisive”. They split fandoms down the middle, with some loving them, and others hating them.I can see what Moffat was doing. The sixties were a different time. People had different values. Sexism was a much bigger problem. Since the First Doctor was of that era, he wanted the audience to laugh at how different things were back then. Especially with the constantly horrified reactions of Twelve at his former’s self’s behavior. So what’s the problem?

However, when he wrote Twice Upon a Time, he made one big choice that has left a lot of fans in agreement. Unfortunately, it’s not for a good reason. It was his decision to include “humor” by making the First Doctor horrendously sexist.

Short answer, it’s because the First Doctor wasn’t like that. Not even remotely.

Terrible characterization
The First Doctor may have been written in the sixties. But he wasn’t originally written with some of the worst values of the period. Hartnell’s Doctor was a man who enjoyed exploring the universe and discovering something new. He was someone who understood that different civilizations had different values and customs. He would meet people throughout history, whether it was the past, the present or the future, and draw his own conclusions.

Don’t get me wrong, he wasn’t a Doctor without flaws. Especially in the beginning, when he was very protective of his granddaughter. He didn’t like his human companions, Ian and Barbara. Early on, he came close to throwing them off the TARDIS.

But over time, he changed, and he learned to appreciate his companions. He learned what it is to be a hero. He became more open-minded and far kinder. By the end, he was the kind of man who knew not only how to tackle his enemies head on, but also, to finally give his companions the respect they deserve.

So of course, when he’s written by Moffat, he’s telling women to clean the TARDIS and making comments on how the elderly can be “put to use”.

Even worse than those examples, however?

THAT line
The worst moment in Twice Upon a Time has to be when he tells Bill that he’s going to give her “a smacked bottom” if she continues swearing. Now, I’m aware that the line was originally said to Susan in The Dalek Invasion of Earth. But, in that instance, she was his granddaughter. It’s still not OK behavior, and it is very dated. But it’s about the worst thing One said in his entire run in terms of dated values.

So of course, Moffat not only reuses the line, but finds a way of making it even worse! Suddenly, it goes from a poor example of dated family discipline to something far more sexist and cringing!

It could be argued that One saying that line in the first place makes re-using it justified. In fact, that same argument could be made for his whole attitude in this episode. But imagine, 50 years from now, a writer decides to bring back Rose Tyler. Imagine that writer, casting a new actress, deciding to base their characterization of Rose Tyler on one single line. A line from the episode, Aliens of London. Which line?

You’re so gay!

Now imagine a version of Rose Tyler making many crass and homophobic comments. Meanwhile, the new companion is trying hard to explain that she shouldn’t be saying those things. And then, of course, the line from Aliens of London crops up, and it’s a perfect justification for fans of why Rose would make those kind of remarks.

This is exactly what Moffat has done to the First Doctor. He’s taken one single line, out of context, and based all the “humor” of Twice Upon a Time around it. It’s terribly insulting to Hartnell’s Doctor, to say the least.
Regeneration trauma?
Honestly, there’s only one explanation that fits why One is so different. (Well, other than Moffat writing him badly, of course.) Regeneration trauma. Twelves says that One is actually in the middle of the regeneration when they meet. (Mentioning that his face was all over the place was a nice touch, I must admit. It was a neat way of explaining why he was starting to look a little different.)

Sometimes, after a regeneration, the Doctor goes through some mental trauma that causes him to act differently. The First Doctor could have been going through this during the regeneration itself. This is why he’s acting so differently, because his mind and body are all over the place at this point.

Do I believe this was Moffat’s intention? No. Does it make sense? Again, if I’m honest, not completely. But it’s the only in-universe explanation that even remotely fits. But even if it was Moffat’s intention, it’s still a bad story choice.

Like in The Twin Dilemma, when the Sixth Doctor tried to strangled Peri, just because you can say the Doctor is going through mental trauma doesn’t mean it’s a good story choice. That moment still left a terrible first impression on viewers at the time.

And that story actually mentioned that the Doctor was going through trauma due to the regeneration. Twice Upon a Time makes no such explanation with the First Doctor. As such, new viewers are easily lead to believe that this was exactly what the First Doctor was like.

First impressions
And that’s the biggest problem I have with the First Doctor’s depiction. For a lot of fans, Twice Upon a Time will be their first exposure to the Doctor’s original incarnation. At best, they’ll think his Doctor funny, in a cringing sort of way. At worst, they’ll want to skip him for the wrong reasons.

As I mentioned before, the First Doctor wasn’t perfect. That’s why he was so great, because he got to grow and change over the years. But he was never quite as bad as depicted in Twice Upon a Time. Moffat has added flaws that not only weren’t needed, but completely disrespect Hartnell’s original performance and his legacy.

It’s a shame, as David Bradley is a great First Doctor. As I mentioned in my review, there are occasional moments in Twice Upon a Time when he’s written and performed exactly right. And overall, the rest of the episode was enjoyable, with some truly brilliant and moving moments. It’s just a shame that it’s almost ruined by one of Moffat’s last and biggest mistakes from his entire run on Doctor Who.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 12/30/17

Yeah, this was Moffat doing his typical screwing things up because he can do no wrong because he once wrote that really popular episode. George Lucas syndrome.

If they REALLY wanted to include the "Smacked bottom" comment as a call back to that doctor... (not sure why) they should have had him remark:

"If you were my granddaughter I would threaten you with a smacked bottom. Did your parents not ever teach you any manners?"

Far less cringy. Still, a bad portrayal of the first doctor and a real insult to William Hartnell.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 01/04/18

On the plus side, he's gone now. Fingers crossed for Chris Chibnall.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 01/16/18

Doctor Who: Jodie Whittaker Explains Her Doctor’s Accent
https://screenrant.com/jodie-whittaker- ... ce-accent/

Short version - she's going to use her natural Yorkshire accent. Weee!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 02/02/18

phpBB [media]

"When Gary Russell, Exec Producer at Planet 55 & Head Writer of PrisonerZero (Netflix) left for Australia his friends were asked to contribute to a surprise film. We may have gotten a tad overexcited..."