Re: Posts from Whoville (Doctor Who)

Post by Diera » 02/02/18

Those two are too goddamned adorable.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 02/02/18

Georgia Moffat is the only Moffat I would like to see back in DW.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 02/05/18

Thankfully, she's a Moffett, not a Moffat.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 02/09/18

phpBB [media]
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 03/05/18

Just in time for my Story Time listeners, now that we've only got one episode left of Charley's spinoff and will be moving on to the Gallifrey spinoff, it looks like the spinoff is moving into the Time War times. Or, at least, the beginning of it.

phpBB [media]

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 03/05/18

You know, I can't deny that he does make some very good points here...

phpBB [media]

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 03/13/18

Babelcolour updated his "Every Doctor Who Story" video for 2018.

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 03/21/18

Christopher Eccleston Has Finally Revealed What Led to His Depature From Doctor Who
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018- ... -t-davies/
After recently claiming he was “blacklisted” by the BBC after leaving Doctor Who, former Ninth Doctor Christopher Eccleston has now revealed more about the tensions he felt on set during filming for the sci-fi series.

“My relationship with my three immediate superiors – the showrunner, the producer and co-producer – broke down irreparably during the first block of filming and it never recovered,” Eccleston says in the latest issue of Radio Times.

“They lost trust in me, and I lost faith and trust and belief in them,” he continues.

Eccleston starred in the sci-fi series when it first rebooted in 2005 with Russell T Davies as showrunner.

Describing the situation as “very” stressful, Eccleston claims that he felt out of place playing a lighter role, and believes it may have contributed to on-set difficulties.

“Some of my anger about the situation came from my own insecurity,” he says. “They employed somebody [as the Doctor] who was not a natural light comedian.”

He adds, “Billie [Piper], who we know was and is brilliant, was very, very nervous and very, very inexperienced. So, you had that, and then you had me. Very, very experienced, possibly the most experienced on it, but out of my comfort zone.”

In the interview, Eccleston goes on to reveal why he’s only elected to speak on the subject in recent months, with the Salford-born actor suggesting he’d made an agreement not to “damage” the reputation of the series.

“When I left, I gave my word to [then-showrunner] Russell T Davies that I wouldn’t do anything to damage the show,” he says. “But they did things to damage me. I didn’t criticise anybody.”

Asked if Davies was aware of the issues, Eccleston says, “If you’re the showrunner, you know everything. That’s your job,” adding that he “never will have” a working relationship with the screenwriter again.

Eccleston was speaking with Radio Times ahead of the release of his new series, BBC1 drama Come Home.
However else you feel about Chris, I have to say that it shows a lot of class on his part that he agreed to not damage the reputation of the show and kept to that for as long as he has.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 03/21/18

Wait, what? Chris did plenty to try to damage the show's reputation back in 2011. (And earlier than that, but I can't find the interview where he basically accused people of abusing the production staff and how he was standing up for the little guy by quitting, blah blah. If I recall, there was also a part of that interview where he intimated that actors that don't quit the show (ie David) are just there for the money. However, those comments I can't prove because I can't find the article anymore.)

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/doctor-w ... doctor-who
“I left Doctor Who because I could not get along with the senior people. I left because of politics. I did not see eye-to-eye with them. I didn’t agree with the way things were being run. I didn’t like the culture that had grown up around the series. So I left, I felt, over a principle.

I thought to remain, which would have made me a lot of money and given me huge visibility, the price I would have had to pay was to eat a lot of shit. I’m not being funny about that. I didn’t want to do that and it comes to the art of it, in a way. I feel that if you run your career and.. we are vulnerable as actors and we are constantly humiliating ourselves auditioning. But if you allow that to go on, on a grand scale you will lose whatever it is about you and it will be present in your work."

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/31/18

I can't recall the source for this either. Might well have been Internetz blather. That Eccleston had some kind of agreement that the Doctor wouldn't have any same-gender attractions. Pre-emptive to any PC climate coming out of the BBC. Apparently, the Jack Harkness suggestive question, "Does the Doctor dance?", played into the decision to leave the production. Eccleston considered this a breach of the agreement.

Regardless, I see an attempt to color the departure as being less acrimonious than it may actually have been.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/01/18

:P :P :P

The worlds of Doctor Who and Broadchurch are set to collide this autumn on BBC One and ITV!

Showrunner Chris Chibnall has today revealed that Series 11 of Doctor Who will begin an official fusing of the two shows, continuing in a special Broadchurch instalment on ITV.

David Tennant is set to return alongside co-stars Olivia Colman, David Bradley and Arthur Darvill.

Cleverly, the story will serve as both a prequel and sequel to the hit show. It will be revealed that the town of Broadchurch has in fact been a “mind prison” all along during post-regeneration madness.

The story will flashback and show the Doctor awakening in the Broadchurch town taking the form of Beth Latimer, played by Jodie Whittaker, but unbeknownst of her true nature as the Time Lord.

The various characters she bumps into are in fact figments of the Doctor’s mind trying to desperately remind herself to break free, using familiar faces from the past, including that of her 1st and 10th incarnations, played by David Bradley and David Tennant respectively. She must then battle her demons for the final time so the Doctor can escape the horrors of Dorset and reawaken in the real world.

Chris Chibnall said: “This has been my long game from the very inception of Broadchurch. I always knew that both shows were connected, hence the very deliberate casting choices over the years and the eventual appointment of Jodie as 13. I can’t wait for fans to see how it all plays out!”

Jodie Whittaker said: “It’s fantastic! Chibbers has the most amazing mind. Anyone who thought he was just hiring his mates is in for a shock!”

David Tennant said: “I can confirm that my long-rumoured return is definitely real this time!”

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 04/02/18

April Fool's joke or not, I'd watch the hell out of that.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 04/06/18

Steven Moffat clears up some of Doctor Who’s biggest plot holes in his new novel
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018- ... new-novel/

The Peter Cushing movies are canon! (Though maybe not in the way you expect)

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 06/26/18

New series of Doctor Who to be scored by composer Segun Akinola
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/en ... f3c3a47032

I'm not familiar with his work, but he's got some good credentials. I'm sure he'll bring some fresh sounds to the music.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/19/18

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/19/18

Close up of the new screwdriver.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/19/18

But I care more about the actors and stories than the props.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/26/18

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/28/18

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/31/18

And then this happened...
Hello Sweeties.jpg
Hello Sweeties.jpg (47.6 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 08/02/18

I presume that's supposed to be River Song on the right.

In which case... yes, that should happen.

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 08/03/18

Tregarde wrote:
08/02/18
I presume that's supposed to be River Song on the right.

In which case... yes, that should happen.
River: Oh, thank god! Finally this regeneration!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 08/07/18

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/ ... ge-1132677
Ahead of Jodie Whittaker’s full-season debut as the first female Time Lord, footage from the first episode was leaked online.

The BBC has gone to a Washington court in a bid to track down the source of a major Doctor Who leak earlier this year and is pursuing tech giant Microsoft for information.

Ahead of Jodie Whittaker’s full-season debut as the first female Time Lord, footage from the debut episode was leaked online.
According to recently discovered court papers published by TorrentFreak, the footage was stored and subsequently shared on file-hosting service OneDrive, which is operated by Microsoft. The papers state that the petitioner, referred to as “BBC Worldwide Limited t/a BBC Studios (Distribution),” requests the court to subpoena Microsoft with regards to the Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA).

The request seeks to “identify an alleged infringer or infringers“ of material from episode 1 of Doctor Who season 11 (though not limited to, which suggests more leaked footage could be out there), which was discovered on OneDrive.

In essence, the BBC is demanding that Microsoft hand over all pertinent details regarding a file that was stored and subsequently shared on One Drive, namely its user.

Last month, the BBC took the matter to California federal court to subpoena mobile community platform Tapatalk in order to identify the individual responsible for the leak.

While this is not the first leak Doctor Who has had to deal with, the incident was all the more surprising given the extreme secrecy and info lockdown on the series since new showrunner Chris Chibnall came on board. Also known for his crackdown on leaks and spoilers on the ITV Studios series Broadchurch, Chibnall took over from Steven Moffat (Sherlock), who bowed out at Christmas when Whittaker was introduced as the new Doctor, becoming the first female to play the role.

Representing BBC Studios is Kilpatrick Townsend & Stockton, a law firm well known for its intellectual property practice.

Doctor Who season 11 is slated to air on BBC America in the fall.
Darnit. I missed the leak! :P

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 08/07/18

I'd wager it's still out there somewhere. Once things hit the torrent-verse, they're insanely hard to get rid of.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 09/07/18

phpBB [media]

Doctor Who, breaking glass ceilings.