Posts from the Iron Throne (GoT) SPOILERS WITHIN

All manner of fun stuff!
Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Re: Posts from the Iron Throne (GoT)

Post by Scrattch » 05/25/15

Tch, tch. Cersi is learning that blades cut *both* ways.
Careful what tools you create, Queen Mother.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/25/15

Margaery's best lines to date. As said to Cersei:
  • “Can we bring you anything to eat or drink? I wish we had some wine for you, it’s a bit early in the day for us.”

“[I’m] exhausted, to be honest, but what can I expect? [Tommen] is half-lion, half-stag.”

“Oh, I always forget—what is the proper way to address you now? Queen Mother or Dowager Queen? ... Anyway, judging from the king’s enthusiasm, the Queen Mother will be the Queen grandmother soon!”
Natalie Dormer was such perfect casting here.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 06/04/15

phpBB [media]
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 06/08/15

https://games.yahoo.com/news/game-thron ... 09332.html
So this week saw the burning of Shireen so that Stannis can rule, or at least that's the bill of goods sold to Stannis by Melisandre.

The decision, while brutal, makes sense. Stannis has no other way forward after the raids by Ramsay, and we already know he sees retreat as a failure of command. Melisandre isn’t promising something she can’t deliver; we’ve seen what she’s capable of in terms of magic and direct interaction with the most powerful people in this world.

You can argue that the leeches may or may have been directly responsible for the deaths of people like Joffrey, but that smoke monster killing Renly isn’t really arguable. That doesn't take away from the shock of seeing a young girl burned alive, with her parents watching.

The surprising thing is this decision didn't come from the show's writers, but from George R.R. Martin himself.

"When George first told us about this, it was one of those moments I remember looking at Dan and it was just like that is so horrible, and so good in a story sense because it all comes together," David Benioff, executive producer and writer, said during an "Inside the Episode" short from HBO. They didn't come up with the idea, it's something George described to them, which means it's very likely this will also happen in the books at some point.

"It’s one of the most horrible moments we’ve shot, just in terms of the emotion of it," Benioff continued. It also marks one of the few times that Stannis' wife Selyse breaks. The video talks about her absolute faith in The Lord of Light and Melisandre, and that faith cracks a bit in this episode.

"As much as she has acted the fanatic in the past, when your own daughter is screaming for you in agony, it overwhelms your religious convictions and in that moment she becomes a mother again and wants to help her daughter, but it’s far too late," Benioff explains.

It's a heartbreaking scene but, in this case, it wasn't invented for the show. This comes from the big man himself.

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 06/08/15

Psst! Psia! Spoilers tag! That has some info!

On another note.. puppy's response to last night's episode:

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 06/08/15

I can't wait until Stannis gets his "wedding" moment, albeit without the actual wedding. He so needs to die painfully, while watching everything he worked for crumble.

*eyes Martin, Weiss and Benihoff* Make it so, gentlemen.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Re: Posts from the Iron Throne (GoT) SPOILERS WITHIN

Post by Tregarde » 06/14/15

http://www.collegehumor.com/post/690218 ... n-american

Understanding Game of Thrones as an American
Since Americans have a hard time understanding that a world exists outside of our borders, here's a handy guide to Game of Thrones, as if it were set in the US.

Kings Landing = Washington, DC
It's the capitol, it's full of corrupt people vying for titles, and it's built on the backs of the poor. Everyone is vying for the Iron Throne and it's hard to figure out who to root for.

Winterfell = Boston, MA
Beautiful in the summer and uninhabitable in the winter. The inhabitants incorrectly think their city is the center of the empire. It is, however, the only real city in its region. (Providence? Really?) The people there are honorable and resilient, and spend much of their time watching sports. Not many black people.

The King's Road = I-95
A highly trafficked route from Winterfell to King's Landing, the road is littered with inns and merchants. There are also many bandits who live alongside it in dangerous places like New Haven, Newark, and Baltimore.

Beyond the Wall = Canada
It's cold, it's vast, and it's terrifying. But the wildlings are a good people once you get to know them. Also it's governed by a monarch far away who doesn't actually hold any real power in the people's minds.

Castle Black = Canadian Border Crossing
This is all that separates us from the unknown terror of the great white north. Also it's manned by a bunch of humorless guys that don't get laid.

The Iron Islands = Pittsburgh, PA
Cold, wet, gray, and nicknamed for metal, this is a place that was once prominent but is now full of working class people and pirates. And the pirates have been horrible for many years.

Casterly Rock = New York City
The regional capital (and the financial center of the Empire), it used to be ruled by a different group - until they were tricked into trusting a foreigner. Now it's ruled by rich people who think they're better parents than they are.

Lannisport = Greenwich, CT
Situated close to the main city, but far enough away that the citizens don't need to be bothered. Also, it's full of money and incest.

Harrenhal = Chicago, IL
It's rich, and it's on the way to most things. But the governing of it seems to be cursed as no one can rule it for long. And it burnt down once.

Valyria = Detroit, MI
Due to its fearsome beasts with great abilities to travel, this was once the center of the world and a shining jewel of civilization. But then a cataclysmic event rendered it a smoldering ruin of its former glory. The only thing that endures is a bit of their ancient music. And the secrets of manufacturing things there have long been forgotten.

Dorn = Napa Valley, CA
Remote area known for women, wine, and boringness.

The Dreadfort = North Dakota
A stronghold of the north but nowhere near as important as the center of the region. And unless you're from here, living here is torture.

Qarth = Savannah, GA
A wealthy port city, the inhabitants think that it's the greatest city that ever was or will be, and yet no one outside the city cares. Filled with many rich creepy people.

The Twins = West Virginia
A location that would be pointless were it not a river crossing en route to other, better places. It's filled with homely women with the occasional hot one sprinkled in. Also, weddings here can get out of hand.

Lys = Atlantic City, NJ
There are two main characteristics: it's surrounded by rough sea, and it's known far and wide for its pleasure houses.

High Garden = Berkeley, CA
In the far reaches of the realm, it is known as a flowery place with lax sexual attitudes. Also a garden of high.

Volantis = Santa Barbara, CA
A rich, old coastal village where the slaves aren't allowed to ever touch the nobility.

Storm's End = San Francisco, CA
A coastal city with a mighty fortress on the Bay. And it's gay friendly.

Yunkai = Reno, NV
A desert town that is known for its sex slaves and incompetent defenses.

Dothrak = Texas
Incorrectly thinks it's an independent country just because everyone there has weapons. Meanwhile most people who live in the capitol are unaware that this is a place.

Vaes Dothrak = Austin, TX
The cultural center of a vast wasteland, where the barbaric activities of the surrounding areas are banned within city walls. Full of people who struck out on their own because they hate their parents.

Red Waste = West Texas
Yup.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 06/18/15

/looks at map while chomping loudly on bubblegum

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! Now I get it! Time to move to Berkeley. :lol:

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/13/15

Seen a ComicCon

Season 5 ending spoilers, so...

Spoilers:

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/15/15

Saw a brief clip of cosplay at the ComicCon. Cersei, from Game of Thrones, being shamed across the convention center. Bloodied bodysuit. and a robed priestess following with her bell. Declaring, "Shame." Brilliant.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 08/17/15

phpBB [media]

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 09/04/15

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 09/21/15

Cool short about the VFX in Season 5.

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 01/31/16

My name is Psi'a Meese and I approve this. 8)

https://www.yahoo.com/tv/exclusive-emil ... 00679.html
Now this is a Game of Thrones love fest!

After Kit Harrington and Rose Leslie were spotted packing on the PDA during a recent shopping trip in Los Angeles, co-star Emilia Clarke is giving the on- and off-screen love birds her seal of approval.

"My goodness! You know, we like to spread the love on our show. It's a beautiful thing," Clarke told ET's Nancy O'Dell on Sunday's Screen Actors Guild Awards red carpet. "She's one of my best friends, so it's good."

"I mean, there are worse things than being caught kissing Jon Snow!" Clarke teased.

She makes a good point!

All three actors, along with the rest of their GoT cast, were up for Outstanding Performance by an Ensemble in a Drama Series at the 2016 SAG Awards. And what about the big question that's been following the stars for months: Is Jon Snow alive?

"My answer is, tune in in April," Clarke says. "That's become the new thing [with fans]: 'Can I have a selfie and is he alive?' It just rolls off the tongue."
I'm not that surprised that their on-screen chemistry translated off-screen. Though I'm surprised it took this long for them to be seen publicly.

Side note, GoT lost their SAG award to Downton Abbey. Which I can't complain about either.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 02/18/16

#TeamVarys

phpBB [media]

Also, Season 6 teaser thingy!

phpBB [media]

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 03/08/16

*SCREAMS*

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/08/16

You beat me here by 5 minutes. :P

WOW. So Melisandre is going to raise Jon Snow from the dead. But it sounds like it may take her a bit realize that she can do that. Only that other Red Priest has performed that spell and I don't think they know one another?

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 03/09/16

Yeah, we totally know he's coming back now, considering how many times in the trailer itself that HBO kept going "Look! He's dead. Totally dead. Yep. Dead. See? Corpse." Methinks the network doth protest too much. ;) I like that Melissandre seems to be humbled by events. Her characterization was starting to get a bit one-note and I was tiring of her. And I wonder if Davos is going to latch onto Jon like he had with Stannis. I would suppose Jon's vows are no longer valid, considering he died. He can tell his stabby asshole brothers to fuck off and head out to kick some Bolton ass.

Also, I think we're getting flashbacks of Robert's Rebellion this year, too. There are scenes of a bunch of guys in northern style armor, with one looking suspiciously like a young Ned Stark, plus there's that scene with the guy in the Targaryen armor. Not Rhaegar, though, since his armor was black with a ruby dragon on the front, and that guy's armor was your standard grey.

Aviola
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Aviola » 03/09/16

I soooo can't wait! This looks incredible yet again.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 03/09/16

Psia wrote:So Melisandre is going to raise Jon Snow from the dead.
That seems to be what they want you to think. But it could also just be the way the trailer was put together. Just have to wait and see.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 04/12/16

Okay, my hype meter is going into the red. *twitch* Can it be April 24 now??

phpBB [media]

Heh, more of that "LOOK! JON'S DEAD! TOTALLY DEAD! SO DEAD! YEP, DEAD." Okay, HBO, we get that that's what you want everyone to believe, but you're harping a bit too much on it and it's very obvious. (On the other hand, I will laugh my ass off if they did it that way on purpose to make people think they're lying, and they leave Jon Snow dead. Or, well, laugh through my tears, because that would be upsetting to lose such a potentially awesome storyline just to troll the fans.)

Everyone's been talking about them doing the Tower of Joy battle from the past this season, so for those of you unfamiliar with Westerosi history because you've not yet gotten into the books (which is cool, I'm not a book snob), here is a short bit on it:

The Tower of Joy was a tower on the very northern part of Dorne along the Prince's Pass, owned by Rhaegar Targayen. Rhaegar took Lyanna Stark there after he captured her, and when Robert's Rebellion was over, Ned Stark went there with a group of Northmen to get his sister back. (As to why he didn't go there immediately, well, this is Ned Stark we're talking about. He had duties to fulfill.) The tower was guarded by three King's Guard knights, but Ned and his Northmen outnumbered them (it was six Northmen to three King's Guard) This is the battle where Ned killed Sir Arthur Dayne, the Sword of the Morning, and where he found Lyanna dying.

So if that's what the flashback scene with the guys in Targaryen armor and the dude that looks suspiciously like Ned actually *is*, this should be awesome. Hopefully it means we'll get answers to what happened between Rhaegar and Lyanna, because the shit
Robert and a few others claim just doesn't add up when you think about what Barristan Selmy (one of the most honorable guys out there, respected by all sides except those who are idiots *eyes Cersei and Joffrey*) said about Rhaegar, and everything I've read about Rhaegar's nature in general. Nothing indicates that this is a man who would kidnap and rape a woman. Something more must be going on there. I have a big feeling that Robert's obsession with Lyanna was not at all reciprocated, and that he just assumed Rhaegar raped her because gee, how could any woman Robert wants even think of someone else? Nonsense! It must have been rape! Mmmhmm, sure Robert.

...wow, I really got to rambling more than I intended.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/13/16

I read a trailer review tonight which refers to Sansa's appearance here as Sansa “sick of everyone’s shit” Stark. Suggesting she isn't playing naive or nice anymore. And may well wield an army all her own at some point.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 04/13/16

Yeah, the going theory is that Sansa is 100% done with everything and is raising the North to retake Winterfell in a way that Stannis totally failed to do, with Davos' help.

This screencap from the trailer is Davos in the Mormont hall. If you remember either last season or the season before, where Maege Mormont sent her reply to Stannis' command that the North bend their knees, "House Mormont knows only one king, who is the King in the North", or something like that. I have a feeling that Sansa is discovered (of course) and Davos attaches himself to Jon Snow and Sansa Stark, gathering the Northmen in Sansa's name to rid Winterfell of the Boltons for good. Hopefully.

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 04/25/16

Well, as usual, the first episode was a lot of set-up for the rest of the season, but that's all to the good. It may make for a less interesting episode, but it flows better than if we kept stopping the set-up to do something big just to keep everyone's attention.

Anyway, here's my thoughts.

The Good:

Spoilers:

The Bad:

Spoilers:

The Ugly:

Spoilers:

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/25/16

https://www.popsugar.com/entertainment/ ... s-41066904
Unfortunately, Khal Moro really rains on Dany's parade when he says that he'll be taking her to the place where every khal widow goes: Vaes Dothrak — "to live out her days with the widows of the dead khals," one of his wives chirps. Daenerys does not look pleased, and if you've forgotten about the deal with this ancient city — and why she has that "God, no" look on her face — let us remind you.

Vaes Dothrak Is the Dothraki Capital

The Dothrakis only have one city, and it's their capital, Vaes Dothrak. But unlike King's Landing, it's not really a bustling metropolis. In fact, it's large but mostly empty — only really alive when a khalasar is in town.

Who Lives There

Though the city can be empty at times, the dosh khaleen — i.e., all the living widows of every dead khal (and they die a lot, so there are many of them) — live there permanently. In the books, Daenerys is told that she would be expected to live out her life there once Khal Drogo died, or she would face death. Of course, after Khal Drogo's death, Daenerys emerged from a fire with her dragon babies, so no one really made a big deal about it then. It doesn't seem like Khal Moro knows that story, though, or cares, and is ready to ensure that Daenerys is returned to her "rightful" place.

You've Seen It Before

We saw the city in season one, when Daenerys has to prove her worth to the dosh khaleen by eating a horse heart. If you forgot that she did that, it's worth rewatching the scene to see Daenerys really go for it. The dosh khaleen are chanting while she scarfs that thing.
I had to look this scene up. We did see this city way back in season one. Makes me wonder if the dosh khaleen will come to understand Daenarys importance? Tradition may say the widows stay there. But the widows themselves could always make an exception. I mean, if Daenarys can mount a dragon like a horse, doesn't that tell them she is badass?

phpBB [media]