Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Avengers Spin-Off)

All manner of fun stuff!
Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Avengers Spin-Off)

Post by Tregarde » 05/12/13

How did Agent Phil Coulson survive? I guess we'll have to watch to find out.
phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Tregarde » 05/14/13

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 09/24/13

Just watched the premier. A spot here and there that could have been better. And just about everyone looks like they came from a modelling agency... but it's Joss Wheadon at the helm, got to expect pretty faces. Also full of eccentric characters and witty banter! I'd call the "vibe" closer to Buffy than anything else. Lots of nods to the Marvel movies, but not so much that they are required viewing. Overall, a very promising start.

DeFafnyr
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by DeFafnyr » 09/25/13

I loved it. The wit made the difference for me. It wasn't the over-dramatic fluff I expected. I really enjoyed it very much.

Mahamari
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Mahamari » 09/25/13

Just watched the pilot, and I really liked it! Which is surprising, since I absolutely loathed the Avengers and could count the number of Marvel movies I've actually enjoyed on... um... Two fingers. I was pretty much doing this as a "watch it so I can say I did, and write it off" exercise, but I'm adding it to my queue. Fun characters, decent writing, and Clark Gregg is so charismatic and funny as Agent Coulson it's impossible not to want to watch him.

My one issue/eyeroll moment is the way they handled his reappearance. There were two main theories: 1) Fury faked his death to rally the Avengers, 2) Coulson died, and this guy is a Life Model Decoy or a clone or something on that level. So the show... Introduces the 'faked his death' theory, immediately writes it off as a lie, and pulls some "ZOMG HE CAN NEVER KNOW THE TRUTH" drama. In other words, yeah, he's a LMD/clone, and we're going to have to deal with at least a season of hints followed by an episode of boring-ass melodrama when he finally learns the horrible truth. What was so wrong with just going with the "he faked it, that's the answer, done" angle and leaving it to rest?

Attamark
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Attamark » 09/25/13

Well there was some speculation for awhile that Coulson is now Vision, one of the "B-list" Avengers and an android described as:
...every inch a human being—except that all of his bodily organs are constructed of synthetic materials."
Its just not comicbook superheros with out some more tie in Maha :roll:

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Slipps » 09/25/13

You know what, I don't care what Coulson is now, or how he survived, not really, not yet. I am just enjoying the show!

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 09/25/13

Wasn't bad. Wasn't blown away either. Mostly seems more of a showcase of Wheadonesque dialog. Which is fine, I liked the movie, and Buffy, and Angel, and Firefly. Though there was an extent to which I knew exactly when to expect a Wheadonesque quip, and not a scene failed to meet my expectations in that regard. After a while, you can see them coming. Any moment that's a trope... that'll be time for a Wheadon quip. That's both good and bad.

Was nice to see some familiar faces get a gig again, though.

Brighthawk
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Brighthawk » 09/25/13

I enjoyed it! ABC does some quality television (At least Once and the other Disney property live action shows seems to be better than the other networks programs) I'm looking forward to where the show goes. Sure it's campy and what you'd expect but anything that helps serve as a vehicle to build more links between the movies I'm all for it. This sort of cross-media deal is something I've enjoyed for a long time as long as it's not shitty.

The one Wheadon quip I really liked was the "No it's an orgin story." I expected him to say something but not THAT. I laughed louder than I should have. And plus heck yeah black (maybe) superhero? I'm all for that.

Also Lola is the star of the show guys, come on.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 09/25/13

Brighthawk wrote:Also Lola is the star of the show guys, come on.
I was honestly hoping that Lola was going to be so low-tech that EMPs and other high-tech disruptors didn't work on her, and that was going to be a big advantage.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/22/13

It's been a few episodes. Good start. The second episode was cheesy. Then it got steadily better. I think the writers and actors are getting the characters and their dynamics down now. And I'm really digging that there's a lot of grey areas in the show.

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 10/22/13

I'm having a love/hate with it. The campiness bothers me and it is almost like Joss Whedon doesn't try to write storylines for the long haul because of the amount of times his shows get cancelled early.

And the source of my hate portion with the show.

Spoilers:

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/23/13

Wellll...

Spoilers:

Brighthawk
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Brighthawk » 10/23/13

Eye Spy was good! I hope they can keep them on that level of episode for the rest of the series. Everything since the pilot was kind of hit and miss for me.

Spoilers:

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 10/23/13

Brighthawk wrote:Eye Spy was good! I hope they can keep them on that level of episode for the rest of the series. Everything since the pilot was kind of hit and miss for me.

Spoilers:

I agree on the spoiler bit.

I have liked one episode, with reservations, and the rest were kind of boring. There were funny bits, but it doesn't have the snap of a true Whedon show. The writing is very ... bland.

Compared to Sleepy Hollow, Blacklist, Castle, and other shows this season ... this one feels very forced. I was hoping for something that showcased Coulson's wit and dry humor, and this focuses on the sidekicks, who are charicatures so far ... except for the only actual agents on the team, who get less screen time.

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 10/23/13

Tregarde wrote:Wellll...

Spoilers:

Spoilers:

Mahamari
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Mahamari » 10/26/13

This last episode probably lost me as a viewer.

Spoilers:

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 10/28/13

Spoilers:

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 11/06/13

I hope last night is an indication of how SHIELD is going to be. The first half was okay, but the second half was the best of the season so far! Fitz & Simmons went from caricatures to being characters. Hardly any Sky - not that I have anything against her, but it's time we got to know other characters more, and this episode delivered. Fitz & Simmons really delivered! Wow, when you give them more than 30 seconds of screen time, they can act!

I do hope they do something about making Ward and May a bit more distinctive. They both fill pretty much the same role on the team (ass kicker). May just has the additional duty of flying the Bus, and has a little more style.

I will admit, when Coulson was asked a certain question, I was expecting him to say "It's a magical place", then do an inward double-take and begin to question things (more than he is already). But who knows, during that pause between question and answer, maybe that was the first thing that came to mind, and he'll mention it later in the show.

If the quality continues to improve, I could see SHIELD being around for a while.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/06/13

I'm just now catching up to this. Watched the pilot last night. So I'll read the spoilers over the weekend as I catch up.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Kirath
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Kirath » 11/07/13

Yeah the most recent episode really turned things up a notch. If they can keep this up we'll have quite a show on our hands. And, possibly even better, other networks will damn sure copy-cat with similar shows. (SHIELD, from what I understand, has thus far been wildly successful and if it can retain a large audience, all the better.) Also there is SO MUCH ground they can cover in the Marvel universe. I am super curious if they are going to start having mutants, naturally occurring talents show up, rather than just super-soldier experiments.

Also... MORE MELINDA MAY, please! She is one of the most interesting characters on the show. She's the superspy who hid herself in a documents warehouse until Coulson dragged her out, and even then she's *only* supposed to be the pilot, not actually get involved with field work, she wants no part of it, even if she does get dragged in. One thing I find very cool is (Not that you can tell, she doesn't look any older than my age) she is played by an actress (Ming-Na Wen)who was born in 1963. I'll let that sink in... she's fifty years old, looks amazing and kicks ALL the ass. Oh, also she was the voice of Mulan. And played Camille Wray from SG:U. Looking at her IMDB she's been in a TON of stuff. OMG Including Mr. Roger's Neighborhood my god this woman is awesome.

Edit: Looking again at her IMDB, she won't actually be 50 until the 20th of this month. Still.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/18/13

I watch these via Hulu. Literally, the day after watching the premiere, they had to drop episode 2 to add the newest episode to their queue. But it sounds like it was miss-able? Even so, I've seen up to The Hub.

While I realize the comic-verse might interpret all levels of mayhem and threat, many are - at their core - pre-9/11, American comics. Only in temporary, alternate realities would the mighty, USA fall victim to an Al-Qaida. While comics and comic film adaptions are still expected to present escapism, telling a story in the present can't ignore the current state of political affairs. Cloak and dagger is the overall theme of something like S.H.I.E.L.D. So the question presented between Sky and her hacker boyfriend are likely to be recurring over the course of the entire production. Although, I felt that whole scene was a bit forced and questions could have come through a better story so early in the series.

Overall, this show has some interesting hooks. I never followed the comic. So wasn't completely up on how elaborate Nick Fury's S.H.I.E.L.D. organization is. But I knew it was elaborate enough to collect resources to both build and crew that carrier we saw in The Avenger's. Those movies could never due justice to explaining how world reaching the organization would have to be. So this show lays out some interesting possibilities. And more questions.

Regarding Coulson...

Spoilers:

On the subject of Ming-na Wen. I sometimes forget that as a teenager I was watching her in a daytime soap-opera. Where she was already in her 20's. I'm both shocked and impressed she is the same actor. I don't think I had any idea what a skilled actor she really was until SGU. May is considerably more a physical character than I've ever seen her portray. I just hope they write more for her later. Because I know she can deliver it. On her turning 50 this month? Damn it. I feel old. :lol:
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 11/18/13

May is my favorite part of the show too, with Fitz and Simmons being the next. I also loved May's actress in SGU. She's amazing on a lot of levels.

I still find myself annoyed with Sky.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 11/19/13

Spoilers:

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/20/13

Actually, that possibility makes sense.

The Well. Damn, that was good. As if May wasn't already badass, she was even more badass in this one. And that ending? Hmmm...