Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Avengers Spin-Off)

All manner of fun stuff!
Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Tregarde » 05/16/14

The season ender was not without flaws. But they have gotten a lot better about making the flaws pretty minor so you really don't care (or even notice as long as you don't think about it too hard).

And agreed, Kirath, I love the banter! So many great lines.

Overall verdict - Agents of SHIELD season one got off to a rocky start, but started to pick up at the half-way point. When they got to Cap America/Hydra it really started to shine. A little tighter writing, and season 2 could be really freakin' good!

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 05/16/14

I fist pump the air whenever Oswald Patton appears.

Also, I was pretty happy with it, overall. They managed to make the show better, despite a dismal beginning.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 05/21/14

What Marvel’s Agents of SHIELD Got Right, and What It Got Wrong
https://www.themarysue.com/agents-of-sh ... n-wrap-up/

I'd have to say, the writer pretty much hit it. Hopefully the makers of SHIELD see where they can improve things in season 2.

Kirath
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Kirath » 05/21/14

Interesting article, though I do have one quibble with the author's point of view. They seem focused on the idea that the show was supposed to somehow be an underdog story, but my understanding was that, yes, it's a show about the regular people in the Marvel universe, who are still effective in a world that has superheroes running around, rather than having been reduced to second class cleanup crews by the presence of the heavyweights.

So, they weren't ever *supposed* to be underdogs (well at least until the end), which is why they were not.

Avarice
Resident
Resident

Post by Avarice » 05/21/14

I have to agree, the setup of SHIELD established the status quo, rather than what this author wishes was the status quo. Their roles are many and varied; the "Pepper Potts" of dangerous secrets as well as our main line of preventive defense. The nature of humans evolving to become more potent against supernatural threats actually gives us credit as a species - too often in fiction we're just outclassed completely by elves/vampires/mutants/whatever. Even if we have to invent new bullets or take power from a berserker staff of Asgard in order to do it. I think maybe this author missed/forgot those little tidbits.

Personally I loved how late it was before anything sprang on us about the double agents because I grew really attached to the feel-goodiness of the team; it was more understandable to feel Fitz' shock, more credit to the betrayer's cunning, and there wasn't a clusterfuck of trust drama in every show like "The Following" to make me completely jaded to it. My apologies to fans of The Following. =(((

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 05/21/14

I'm especially glad of the LACK of redemption in some characters. Just when you think someone might turn around and earn a redemption... they don't. And that was awesomely refreshing.

Kirath
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Kirath » 05/21/14

Lyah :I'm especially glad of the LACK of redemption in some characters. Just when you think someone might turn around and earn a redemption... they don't. And that was awesomely refreshing.

Very true, I fully expected this to happen right up to the finale episode, and was surprised when it never materialized.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/21/14

Lucy Lawless is joining SHIELD in season 2!
https://www.nerdist.com/2014/07/lucy-la ... h-i-e-l-d/

At this time it's unknown who she'll be playing or in how many episodes.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/22/14

Damn. That's gonna rock regardless of which team she play's for.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/23/14

Just a neat poster you can pick up at the San Diego Comic Con.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/25/14

Coming out of the Marvel Comic-Con panel was the announcement of a few new characters to Agents of SHIELD. All are pretty major.

Lucy Lawless is now confirmed to be playing SHIELD agent Isabelle Hardley. Nick Blood is playing Lance Hunter, who is a mercenary in this iteration. And Dollhouse alum Reed Diamond will play this season's big bad Daniel Whitehall.

The big news came courtesy of a video with Patton Oswalt in character as Agent Koenig, who hinted that Mockingbird was going to be around to help out new Director Coulson.
Season 2 is looking interesting.

And here... BLOOPERS!
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites ... /?a=104413

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 09/10/14

Peggy Carter will be making a guest appearance in the SHIELD season opener. Here's the first pic, and boy does she look ready to kick ass!

Also some pictures and tweets from Haley Atwell, where she gushes about things like "First costume fitting. Handmade hats and buttons imported from Paris. 1946 tailored dresses and suits. So elegant. What a great team x"
https://www.themarysue.com/hayley-atwel ... of-shield/

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 09/22/14

Posting this because I think it's a really neat poster.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/24/14

Watching the season 2 opener now. Thank goodness ABC allows their shows to be shown on HULU within 24-hour. Unlike SyFy with their 30-day lockout.

In that red/black poster above, Ward is the man with his back to us and a crack below him. Despite what we see of him in this episode, I still don't feel sorry for him. Assuming redemption is coming for this character, I wouldn't expect it before seasons end. That is an arc worth dragging out.

Spoilers:

"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 09/25/14

An interesting start to the season. You can tell it rankles Coulson to actually be implementing polices he used to criticize (specifically compartmentalization). I like how they've gone from having unlimited resources, to having to scavenge to get what they need. Much potential for character development and drama.

Spoilers:

GloomPixie
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by GloomPixie » 09/26/14

1) No, not just you.

Spoilers:

2) Don't touch The McGuffin, especially if you do not know what it does. Gaming 101, people. Seriously. -I- know better, and I'm more curious than a bagful of cats.

Spoilers:

3) BAD Uncle Phil. I am grumpy at you now. :evil: Why are you not doing the good thing? DO THE GOOD THING.

Spoilers:

4) Joss Wheedon is the devil and I am mad at him, too. Even if the writing was brilliant. Fuck him and his feels, which are always sudden but inevitable.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/26/14

Gloompixie, I love your poetic use of Whedon in the same sentence as sudden but inevitable. :wink:

GloomPixie
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by GloomPixie » 10/06/14

I am not without a sense of irony, my dear.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/08/14

SHIELD has gotten a lot darker and more serious in season 2.

I approve.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 10/15/14

I love Agent Carter's cast of ethnically impossible subordinates. At least she wasn't fighting the war in high heels. Flip side, she did have time to stop and get a movie-star couture for her hair before heading off to fight Hydara. One must have their makeup proper before attacking ze Germans.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/31/14

I'm really enjoying season 2. The writing is much better, and the actors are doing very good jobs. Overall, they have found a good balance with the humor so it's not too much.

Most of the time I can overlook the occasional issues with plot/story... but something in this latest episode ( #6, "A Fractured House")...

Spoilers:

GloomPixie
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by GloomPixie » 11/05/14

Spoilers:

Adoring the "ohshittheex" subplot. It's adorable.

Spoilers:

I think my favorite part of the series is the fact that there are both puzzles I can figure out immediately (Simmons) and ones that I have to mull over and sit with for a few weeks.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 11/25/14

Agent Carter is almost here!
phpBB [media]

Morenin
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Morenin » 11/25/14

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season one is now on Netflix for those trying to catch up (like me!).

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 12/04/14

SHIELD is really coming together in Season 2. The writing is much tighter, the characters more developed. There is a good balance between humor and serious. And the humor is well done, without delving into being goofy. And the serious, oh, they can tug on the feels (Fitz & Simmons!).

BUT... there was something in this last episode (#9) that just irked me!

Spoilers: