Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (Avengers Spin-Off)

All manner of fun stuff!
Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Re: Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Post by Tregarde » 11/27/13

And... it keeps getting better! The writers are clearly getting a handle on the characters and their dynamics. Even the supporting characters in this episode were done well above the average.

I think part of it is that they are getting better at selling the cheese. Because, when I think about it, at heart this was a pretty cheesy episode. But it was well done cheese, with lots of great little moments (the watch!).

I'm betting the series will be going more into the larger plot now. The first few established the setting, the last few we got to know the characters. Now it's time to ramp things up a notch.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 12/11/13

This last episode... HOLY SHIT!

Torryn
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Torryn » 12/11/13

As with any new series, I always give them a pass the first season. Actors are settling into their roles, getting a feel for their characters, and getting used to working with each other. Writers are doing the same as they try to construct engaging stories, dialogue, and settings. It's all the mixing that happens before the cake goes into the oven. If the series survives to a second season, we get to watch the cake bake. Third season, the cake should be done, and it should be delicious.

Case in point: Star Trek: The Next Generation. Pilot was AWFUL. First season, not much better. By the beginning of second season, folks had gotten a little more comfy, and it was shaping up. By third season, they had a winner, and everyone knew it.

The winter cliffhanger of MAoS shaped up nicely, I think. The ingredients are mixing well, and we should have a pretty good-smelling cake come January.

GloomPixie
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by GloomPixie » 01/09/14

I don't want to go to Tahiti any more, Uncle Phil. *twitch*

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 01/10/14

Oh yeah. Wasn't that creepy?

I'd say the overall quality of the show continues to get a little better. And Clark Gregg shows he really is a good actor with very subtle changes of expression that speak volumes.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 01/10/14

Torryn wrote:Case in point: Star Trek: The Next Generation. Pilot was AWFUL. First season, not much better. By the beginning of second season, folks had gotten a little more comfy, and it was shaping up. By third season, they had a winner, and everyone knew it.
My mom and I bring up this example a lot in our conversations. Firefly, Stargate Universe, and a number of other series are all victims of networks being unwilling to give a series any chance at all to find its legs anymore. Either it's a smash hit right off the bat, or they give up.

It's easy to deal with low numbers on sitcoms and reality shows, which are relatively cheap. The expense of Sci-Fi makes big numbers a larger priority, but Sci-Fi shows can generate remarkably loyal audiences if people just give them time to develop, and those audiences are in it for the duration. By gambling on a few years of a very shitty TNG, Paramount wound up re-energizing the franchise, coming out with 11 Trek movies, all of which made a profit, three spin-offs, all of which made a profit, etc, etc, etc....

It seems these days, companies are a lot more risk-averse, which is too bad.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 01/10/14

/waits impatiently for The Magical Place to move from Hulu PLUS.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Inqe
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Inqe » 01/11/14

*joins Psia and keeps poking the button*

I do not have a cable tv provider, I never plan on having one again. These networks that lock for a week or forever are missing out on people to see the commercials attached to the shows, which should, in theory, cut into revenue. However, I do understand that the point of locking is a non-subtle way of trying to force people to purchase service from said providers. (but you STILL have to watch the commercials!)

I can be patient to watch on Hulu free, ABC's viewer sucks anyway, and if I can not ever see a show for free, then I simply do not watch it.

*nudges Psia* Go make the popcorn, please?

Urdis
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Urdis » 01/13/14

Lyah wrote:
Torryn wrote:Case in point: Star Trek: The Next Generation. Pilot was AWFUL. First season, not much better. By the beginning of second season, folks had gotten a little more comfy, and it was shaping up. By third season, they had a winner, and everyone knew it.
My mom and I bring up this example a lot in our conversations. Firefly, Stargate Universe, and a number of other series are all victims of networks being unwilling to give a series any chance at all to find its legs anymore. Either it's a smash hit right off the bat, or they give up.

It's easy to deal with low numbers on sitcoms and reality shows, which are relatively cheap. The expense of Sci-Fi makes big numbers a larger priority, but Sci-Fi shows can generate remarkably loyal audiences if people just give them time to develop, and those audiences are in it for the duration. By gambling on a few years of a very shitty TNG, Paramount wound up re-energizing the franchise, coming out with 11 Trek movies, all of which made a profit, three spin-offs, all of which made a profit, etc, etc, etc....

It seems these days, companies are a lot more risk-averse, which is too bad.
Husband brought this point up to me when convincing me to try B5 (loved it), Farscape (Hated it) and DS9 (so far so good.)

Lot's of what are now considered to be good sci fi shows start out with a crappy first season or two. But I don't know if it's possible anymore.

Mahamari
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Mahamari » 01/13/14

Urdis wrote:Lot's of what are now considered to be good sci fi shows start out with a crappy first season or two. But I don't know if it's possible anymore.
The best examples in my mind are Highlander and Buffy. Both had, IMO, lousy first seasons marked by the writers not having any idea what the show was going to be ABOUT. By second season, you have a defined theme and "feeling" coming across that just gets stronger as the show goes on.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 01/16/14

Visited a friend today who has Hulu Plus and am completely caught up. I now understand why some shuddered at details from The Magical Place. I didn't see that coming and it disturbed me.

In other news, I've read that the all important ratings for AoS are not very good. It continues to take a beating from NCIS. Hard to say how invested ABC will remain in AoS. I'm not predicting dooooooom...but others seem to be. Which is a shame as I think this show continues to kick ass and takes names.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

GloomPixie
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by GloomPixie » 01/16/14

It just got -really- good. It also feels like it's being written in case they don't get renewed for very long.

Next week looks interesting. I yelled "Goddamnit, Wheedon!" at the teaser. Tor: "Now you understand 'Damn you, Moffat.'"

TashMonster
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TashMonster » 01/16/14

From what I've been hearing, the show is building towards some kind of direct tie-in with the new Captain America movie. So I think what's happening is that the first season is going to be relatively self-contained and then the movie will act as a bridge to the second season. But in the event that the show is not renewed, then the main plot line will be wrapped up well enough to not leave us hanging too horribly. (I hope)

That's the prevailing theory anyway.

My hope though is that if ABC does continue the show to more seasons, they don't schedule it to compete with one of the most popular shows on television.

Lysari
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Lysari » 01/16/14

Seriously. There is no way that AoS is going to compete with NCIS in this house. It's not even a close race because my father will actually remove my hand if I touch the remote. Now, he does finally know about on-demand and is absolutely thrilled that if he misses NCIS he can get caught up again. But my chances of watching AoS live are absolutely zilch.

Actually, my chances of catching many shows are zilch right now. Blessing to on demand and hulu because otherwise I'm never going to get to be online again for fear of spoilers.

Mahamari
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Mahamari » 01/17/14

Psia wrote:In other news, I've read that the all important ratings for AoS are not very good. It continues to take a beating from NCIS. Hard to say how invested ABC will remain in AoS. I'm not predicting dooooooom...but others seem to be. Which is a shame as I think this show continues to kick ass and takes names.
I gave up several episodes back, and from the buzz I'm reading I'm far from the only one, for the exact same reason: it's a "Marvel" TV series that fastidiously avoids having -anything- to do with Marvel comics beyond the presence of Agent Coulson and the concept of SHIELD, and doing half-assed tie-ins with the movies. A billion possible awesome angles and things they could use from decades of comics, and... Nada.

Back when Smallville was a thing, it got a lot of flak from comics fans for steadfastly refusing to let Clark be Superman (the producers' infamous "no tights, no flights" rule) and their insistence on rewriting any DC characters to the point of unrecognizability for no apparent reason whatsoever. SHIELD is arguably worse, in that they don't even bother trying. Bottom line for me was, if the only interesting character on the show is Coulson (and good FUCK was the "hacker chick" infuriatingly dumb), and it's a Marvel tie-in in name only, why should I bother watching it?

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 01/18/14

I was talking with my friend who knows the comics well. We agree that the show is interesting to watch. But he found it odd that none of the characters amongst the main cast had a Marvel power whatsoever. One episode does directly address the aftermath in Greenwich, England following events from Thor 2. However, Maha, bout hacker-chick?

Spoilers:

GloomPixie
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by GloomPixie » 01/18/14

I don't like superheroes in general, so I'm not all that upset there are none in the show. I like Coulson because the character is an interesting one. I like his crew because as the season has progressed, they have developed complicated relationships with one another that I find interesting.

Skye also went from "sketchy hacker chick" to...something else...in the last episode. I mean, The Worst Possible Thing Ever is revealed, and she not only owns it, she finds renewal in the knowledge. My theory:

Spoilers:

Torryn disagrees with me, but we'll find out. We'd been arguing about Coulson for the entire season and he's still convinced that JARVIS' creepy cousin was not so much running repairs as recovering data and fragging the filing cabinets on the way out. I think it was a massive repair job, based on the surgeon's story.

"Let me die. Just...let me die. Please."

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 01/18/14

Personally, I like that none of the main cast have powers. These are relatively normal people, dealing with extraordinary stuff. It gives us a different perspective on things, and makes the cast a little easier to relate to (especially since the writing is getting better). There's plenty of room in the Marvel cinematic universe to give us some variety.

It really seems to me half the complaints are based on people's expectations. People see that Marvel logo at the start and expect stuff like in the movies. Which isn't realistic, given that this is a TV show, and thus has a TV budget. And given the short amount of time it's been on, I can already see they use their limited budget better now than at the beginning. Being a TV show also means they have more time to develop the characters and build up to something.

Though I do think they recovered Coulson a little too quickly, would have been nice to see more time with the team coping without him.

The show isn't perfect, but I'm enjoying it.

GloomPixie
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by GloomPixie » 01/18/14

Considering the amount of money Fury sunk into him, I'd've turned out the entire agency to find his ass as well.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 01/24/14

For those who think SHIELD doesn't have enough superhero type action...
https://io9.com/mavrels-bringing-two-mo ... 1508091955

Spoilers:

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/06/14

Things that make you go, hmmmm...

The magical place of Tahiti is really T.A.H.I.T.I. The visual that came with that revelation only adds further to the enigma. And Lorelei has arrived. Who I know nothing about beyond her introduction - and what Tre has shared. Yet, I already think Tregarde nailed where that story is going.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 03/06/14

I must say, at least in my opinion, these past few episodes have been worth watching the show from the beginning!

The writers are getting better at their job. The actors are more comfortable with their characters. We are getting answers, but the answers give us new questions (but in a good way). It'll be interesting seeing how the rest of the season plays out.

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 03/06/14

It's definitely getting better. I like that it's a lot less boring now.

GloomPixie
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by GloomPixie » 03/06/14

I need to find a new beach daydream. Tahiti is ruined forever.

FOREVER.

*twitch*

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 03/06/14

Erithe wrote:It's definitely getting better. I like that it's a lot less boring now.
If Star Trek: TNG came out today, it wouldn't have made it past Season 1. People are a lot less forgiving of shows that start weak, and networks seldom give series any chance to find their footing.