Re: [MC] Fort Huggable: Minecraft Server

Post by Shizouka » 10/06/18

phpBB [media]

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 10/08/18

I ran into some trouble with Extra Rails, so it's going to be replaced by a very similar mod Better Railroads and the teleportation functionality of Extra Rails offloaded to a frankly superior teleport mod called Waystones. I've already updated the modpack, but the server side update is pending.

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 10/10/18

The server has been updated! You can now craft teleportation stones ("Waystones") and place them around, assuming you have offed some Endermen. They will also generate in villages in the world.

After bashing my head against Opencomputers for a while I finally got a robot to do something useful. The bog cube! It makes use of a simple lua script, which doesn't seem like much except that you have to type it into the editor on the robot, which doesn't have syntax highlighting and which isn't big enough to properly display the most important part of the error message. It's quite awful, but now that I've gone through it I'm fairly sure of the basics.

I don't really think the purpose of OpenComputers is to automate things like mining or farming, really, but without a steady source of power it's difficult to do anything else interesting with the mod. Hopefully the peat from the bog cube is enough to keep things humming along. Most of the sheep are now dead and it seems rather perverse to continue generating power via animal cruelty. So we've gone green.
Last edited by Tenebrae on 10/10/18, edited 1 time in total.

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 10/10/18

Hot on the heels of the Bog Cube, an attractive setting for a peat-powered electrical pile, Pile 1. The surviving sheep was set free and I'll just assume he or she is out there living a fine life, even though it's more likely that he got eaten by a dog or wandered into a lava lake. Well, I'm at best partially responsible in that case, instead of fully. The structure makes use of Andesite, which is a newish vanilla block, and Slate, which is from Rustic.

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Tenebrae » 10/11/18

I had the most terrible luck. Even though these numbers don't seem large, the desert and jungle biomes are extremely difficult to find just by randomly walking around.

Nearest Desert: 100, 1500
Nearest Jungle (Waystone): -2350, 450

I nicked a Waystone from a village at (950, 225) and moved it to the Jungle. In the Desert there is a village with a Waystone. Generally though, one probably shouldn't steal the village Waystones since someone else might happen upon the village in need of one. You can break and replace them, though, which lets you set the name to something more memorable. If you do steal a village Waystone, leave the pavilion intact and put up a sign that says you stole it and how sorry you are about it.

Tenebrae
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Wherein We Forget What We Were Doing In The First Place

Post by Tenebrae » 10/12/18

The following shockingly pathetic true tale takes place over several real days.

With the arrival of the teleportation Waystones mod a natural question arises: how does one get a Waystone? Besides theft. Well let's just pop into NEI and have a look:

'kay. But what's that purple thing? A "Warp Stone"? Apparently it lets you teleport to Waystones if you are holding it, but it is also a crafting ingredient in the Waystone recipe.

Wow, that's a lot of ender pearls! Making any number of these is going to be a huge pain. Plus OpenComputers uses ender pearls too for wireless networking. Clearly, we're going to need a lot of them! Finding them in the Overworld may as well be a matter of luck, you see maybe one or two enderman every two ingame nights and who knows if he's even going to drop a pearl. If could take you 3-4 nights to get a single one, all the while you are dodging skeleton arrows and creepers. It's a bad scene.

You know where you don't have to rely on luck and there are plenty of pearls? The End, of course! Through aforementioned scattershot methods we acquired a couple Ender Pearls and turned them into Eyes of Ender. When you use these they fly towards the End Portal and then fall to the ground, with a twenty percent chance of breaking. I have two, I throw one and it breaks. I throw another and it breaks. By this time I've got a decent line and decide to travel a thousand blocks away and see if I can bracket it. At around a thousand blocks I encounter a Village in a plains biome and I activate the waystone there. I set up a hovel of cobblestone in the field nearby to continue the search.

Then we painstakingly acquire another two Eyes of Ender. Thinking we are safe in the village at night, we hunker down in a cottage with a villager and go to take a pee break. On return, we are dead and have lost 31 levels of experience. What happened, did he open the door to greet a zombie? Villagers! We do some light pillaging to sooth our nerves and resume the search with the two Eyes.

The first one flies off and breaks. The second one disappears, but not before going back the other way. Yes! We've successfully bracketed the stronghold. It's somewhere, at some level, in a 200 block line segment. Rather than hunt for more eyes, which we Hate, we just decide to systematically mine along this line segment and Bob's your uncle. So we do that, and find the stronghold. Inside the stronghold we mined out most of the library and stored the reams of books in a nearby chest, but as we were putting them in there a creeper rolled up from a dark hallway around the corner and blew it to smithereens. That's par for the course.

The End Portal! Each of the 9 frames around the edge has a 10% chance of having an Eye in it already. Usually there are 2 in my experience. Gosh, what if there were more, we could get really luck--

Ah, none. It's like that huh. No freebies. I say to myself, I need 9 freaking Eyes? This calls for measures far more systematic than walking around and hoping you run into an Enderman. Let's google "hunting endermen."

We get this link back: http://www.minecraft101.net/t/hunting-endermen.html

Okay, we don't know where a desert is, but we have good eyes anyway. We'll just build it in the plains outside the village, where our hovel is. But you know it seems like the hovel would ruin the sight lines, so why not just build it on top of the hovel anyway? So we do that. We are troubled by the question that altering the strategy will make it fail, but in a pique decide that it shouldn't matter. It looks nicer than if we built it on the ground. The first night reveals the problem: the Enderman can't get up there. They're too stupid to teleport into the platform inside.

We don't have the cobble to build it again next door, and anyway the huge structure would spoil the sight lines. So we tear it down and build it back up next door.

The first night is moderately successful, and on the first day we enlarge the structure slightly. It's still quite frustrating, since some nights pass without ever seeing and Enderman. We think that, perhaps, going to an alternate dimension would despawn the mobs and allow us to reroll for an Enderman. So we build a twilight forest portal (and actually waste a diamond and wreck one because we wanted to test out if the portal could be undermined and remain intact--it can't), but it doesn't work to despawn the mobs. They are exactly where we left them. A few more nights pass in the normal way and we get all 9 Eyes we need! So it's back to home base to get the Blaze Rods and then to the End Portal to put them in the frame. If you've been paying attention, you can see where this is going.

After getting there we notice that there are actually 12 End Frames, and so we needed 12 Eyes. Well, may as well place the ones we have while we're there. Standing on the edge of the platform overlooking the end portal, we begin placing the eyes clockwise around the frame from the one closest. As we are about to place the 8th we pause. It seems somewhat far away. But why would Mojang design it so you couldn't place the Eyes from the platform? That seems inelegant. Walking over there carefully is for suckers. Besides what's the worst--well, we threw the Eye and broke it. We place the ninth carefully into the frame, in the matter of a bitch.

We'll come back to this End Portal later, whatever. May as well start preparing to fight the Ender Dragon anyway. A potion of health would be vital, but you need a melon for that. Melons are in jungles. We set out in search of a jungle. Taiga. Extreme Hills. Plains. Taiga. Extreme Hills. Plains. Taiga. Plains. Plains. Ice Plains. "Birch Forest." Extreme Hills. Extreme Hills+ (Fuck this one especially, fuck you Mojang, I hate you.) I try to make my search more systematic and use the ingame Map system, which I've never liked. I did find an igloo, but it didn't have a basement. By the way, we didn't find a desert, either.

The short reason for this pain is that Mojang, in their infinite wisdom, decided to make Jungles a rare biome and extreme hills a common one. This makes it difficult to move around the world. They also make it so that similar climate biomes are next to each other so you could have (as we do in our world on the east-west axis) a 10000 block stretch of the same three-four biomes over and over and over. Things which were once easy and fun, are now very difficult and obnoxious. At this point I, an adult who supposedly has a job and other responsibilities, drop the World file into Amidst and use it to circumvent this ridiculous and extremely not-fun problem. I also move the Waystone out to the Jungle, because it's so far away.

Well we have a melon now, but preparing to fight the Ender Dragon will take longer because we used all our EXP teleporting around so much. We may as well go back to the hunting lodge and get the remaining 4 pearls, and another 4 to make a Warp Stone for our personal use.

We arrive at the hunting lodge during the day and think of a great idea. Better Railroads has a rail called a 'wooden rail' which is super cheap to make. That, in combination with the rails we found in that mineshaft, should make it possible to make a railroad that runs far enough away from the plains to despawn all the hostiles, then you could ride it back and get a fresh reroll that has an Enderman in it. The railroad goes up fairly quickly and the wooden rails, while slow, are fantastic at covering long distances cheaply. Et voila, the despawn express!

All the other rails in Better Rails are much cheaper compared to Vanilla, too. The system works! We upped our nightly Ender Pearl haul from 1-2 to 2-3. Now we just need to turn the melons into health potions and enchant a set of diamond armor and raise a bunch of chickens for arrows and...

Wait... what were we doing this for again?