[KSP] Kerbal Space Program

All manner of fun stuff!
Scrappers
Resident
Resident

[KSP] Kerbal Space Program

Post by Scrappers » 08/28/13

Okay, Lyah has gotten me hooked on Kerbal Space Program.

https://kerbalspaceprogram.com/

It crashes a lot (it's still alpha) but it's well worth it! My compy really needs more RAM but I suspect there is a memory leak in the game.

Still, it satisfies my thirst for building, blowing stuff up when I want, space travel, and scaring the crap out of kerbals! (strap one in an exposed seat to a wobbly rocked and you'll see what I mean!)

So anyways, I found this other site for ribbons for your achievements so I thought I would share.

http://ribbons.cgagnier.ca/

Anyways, here's my achievements so far.

Here's an outline of my space program:

So far I've got 4 communication satellites in geostationary orbit, giving the little Kerbals full communication abilities across the entire planet. I've also got a weather sat. in polar orbit.

I did accidentally send a heavy space tug probe into solar orbit, but I was able to safely get it back. Actually, doing so saved me fuel. I used the altered orbit to rendezvous with my space station.

Once I finish building my space station in Kerbin orbit (1 Mk out) I will use that as a staging area for future missions. The hard part is getting into orbit. That takes the most fuel. Once you're up there, just alter your orbit and use gravity assist maneuvers to save even more fuel and explore. But getting all that fuel into orbit for the space station is difficult and time consuming. Once finished, I'll use a policy of "if you have extra, leave it. If you need it, take it" for station visitors. That should help save on the refueling trips.

Then I will send science probes to orbit Kerbin moons, and one to enter a close in orbit of the sun.

Then I will setup a comm. sat. system around those moons, followed by landing probes and rovers to scout out places for a base.

Next I will construct the bases. (using the H.O.M.E. Mod.)

Then I will construct smaller stations in orbit around those moons. (Refueling depots)

Then I will setup a deep space comm. network to support future missions. That will entail 4 - 6 comm sats at first in a closer orbit around the sun than Kerbin is, equidistant from each other. Next, about 8 in a similar orbit away from Kerbin. They'll all use ion engines and be small and light. This will be excellent practice for trans-orbital maneuvers.

From there, I will begin my exploration to the rest of the system.

I'll post some screenies of my space station later today while it is still under construction. I still need to haul up the communication module. Next, I need to haul up 3 more RCS fuel pods, 4 liquid fuel pods (both massive payloads), and 5 xenon fuel pods. (a lot lighter) Then several docking station modules with various sized docking ports for various sized ships, and several habitat modules. Thus far, I only have one habitat module up there with 5 kerbals there working on the station.

Btw, be very careful turning on A.S.A.S. for a massive station. I have those on each end of every heavy module. The reaction wheels are fine, but when the station mass isn't balanced, and it goes into auto and tries to correct the stations position, chaos ensues. It all goes wobble wobble and risks breaking the thing apart!

So yeah when building a station, try to balance the mass. Adding an rcs and fuel pod before adding anything else was dangerous. Esp. with the space tug attached. One long massive arm on one side of the station. :shock: I need to add the RCS pods first, opposite each other. Then, the fuel pods opposite each other. Building it that way minimizes the oops factor.

It's great practice for docking. I still need more practice though. Sometimes I burn way too much RCS.

Scrappers
Resident
Resident

Re: [KSP] Kerbal Space Program

Post by Scrappers » 08/31/13

Unfortunately, things rarely ever work out as intended. Particularly with my space station. The part count is getting so high the lag is unbearable. So I've decided to break it up into 2 smaller stations, perhaps even four. I think I'll put them in geosync orbit around Kerbin so that no matter what direction I'm going in, I'll always have a fuel depot.

I also went ahead and sent my first science probe to the Mun. I put it into a very low orbit so I could scout possible landing sites for a rover probe.

Screenies woot! (clicky the Image links to lookit)

Preparing to transmit initial orbital data to Kerbin.

Taking initial readings and transmitting back to Kerbin via. the Kerbin orbital satellite network. Temperature, gravity, atmospheric, and accelerometer readings.

Gathering data from a lower orbit. Creating a digital map of the equatorial region.

Kerbin rises on the Mun. Calculations for com-sat system around the Mun complete. Sending current craft status data back for efficient design of Munar Com-sats.

:D

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/20/14

I blame Lyah for twisting my arm and making me download the demo. :P
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 07/20/14

Psia wrote:I blame Lyah for twisting my arm and making me download the demo. :P
phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/03/14

phpBB [media]
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 09/03/14

Wow, that is just incredibly amazing work this guy did! Thank you for sharing that, Psia. Makes me want to play KSP again!

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 09/19/14

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 12/22/14

With the Beta Than Ever update, I looked over the ordering page. Nice to see that Squad sells whatever the most current state of the game is. Plus, updates are free.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/08/17

Matt Kerbal

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 12/20/18

Do you want some Macross in your Kerbal?

phpBB [media]