Posts from Down Below (Babylon 5)

All manner of fun stuff!
Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Posts from Down Below (Babylon 5)

Post by Psia » 01/02/14

The Universe speaks in many languages, but only one voice.
The language is not Narn, or Human,
or Centauri, or Gaim or Minbari.
It speaks in the language of hope
it speaks in the language of trust
it speaks in the language of strength and
the language of compassion.
It is the language of the heart and
the language of the soul.
But always, it is the same voice.
It is the voice of our ancestors, speaking through us
and the voice of our inheritors, waiting to be born.
It is the small, still voice that says
We are one.
No matter the blood; No matter the skin
No matter the world; No matter the star
We are one.
No matter the pain; No matter the darkness
No matter the loss; No matter the fear
We are one.
Here, gathered together in common cause.
We agree to recognize this singular truth
That we are one
and this singular rule
That we must be kind to one another
Because each voice enriches us and ennobles us
and each voice lost diminishes us.
We are the voice of the Universe
the soul of creation
the fire that will light the way to a better future.
We are one.
We are one.

—————————————————————————————————————————————————————
DECLARATION OF PRINCIPLES
CITIZEN G'KAR
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Re: B5: Interstellar Alliance Declaration of Principles

Post by Tregarde » 01/03/14

Babylon 5 definitely had some great moments.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 01/03/14

Pak'marah not included.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 01/03/14

Actually, here is the list of signatories:

Member Governments
  • The Minbari Federation
  • The Earth Alliance
  • The Narn Regime
  • The Centauri Republic (Withdrawn in 2262, liberated from the Drakh and rejoined in 2278)
  • The Abbai Matriarchate
  • The Brakiri Syndicracy
  • The Drazi Freehold
  • The Gaim Intelligence
  • The Grome Marga Chulda
  • The Hurr Androma Republic
  • The Hyach Grand Council of Elders
  • The Llort Mi-Ma-Ti
  • The pak'ma'ra
  • The Ventuki Conglomerate
  • The Yolu Ingyo
  • The Enphili
https://babylon5.wikia.com/wiki/Interstellar_Alliance
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 01/03/14

I should be more specific, the Pak'marah should NOT be included. I stick my nose up, and downwind, of the Pak'marah. Hmph, I say!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 01/03/14

"pak'ma'ra are chosen of God... very special. We can eat of all the creatures who walk and fly and crawl... but not of the fish in the sea."
  • – A pak'ma'ra
And it's lower-case p. JMS says so. :P
J. Michael Straczynski wrote:"In all of my scripts, I always spelled pak’ma’ra in all lower case letters. Our script coordinator kept changing it to Pak’ma’ra. Finally, I had to tell her to stop changing it. She wanted to know why. I said, “Because that’s how they spell it.” It’s great being able to win arguments by citing non-existent rules of punctuation created by equally non-existent species."

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TinweSaa » 01/03/14

Psia wrote:
J. Michael Straczynski wrote:"In all of my scripts, I always spelled pak’ma’ra in all lower case letters. Our script coordinator kept changing it to Pak’ma’ra. Finally, I had to tell her to stop changing it. She wanted to know why. I said, “Because that’s how they spell it.” It’s great being able to win arguments by citing non-existent rules of punctuation created by equally non-existent species."
Writer = G.O.D. (Game Operations Director) - "The Deity" in the world you write about... So all the punctuation and formalities are at the whims of the Writer.

Tomias
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Tomias » 01/06/14

In regards to the pak'ma'ra....

"You know, Londo never liked the pak'ma'ra. I mean, they're stubborn, lazy, obnoxious, greedy--"
"They kinda look like an octopus that got run over by a truck."
"That too, but .. one day Londo and I were walking past their quarters .. and we heard them .. singing."
-- Vir and Garibaldi in Babylon 5:"Sleeping in Light"

"Singing? They can sing?"
"There's nothing about that in the literature."
"Apparently it's something they only do certain times of the year as part of their religious ceremonies. You may not believe this, but .. it was the most beautiful sound I've ever heard. I couldn't make out the words, but I knew it was full of sadness and .. hope and wonder and .. terrible .. sense of loss. I looked at Londo and -- this is the amazing part -- there was a .. tear running down his face. I said: 'Londo, we should leave.' And 'This is upsetting you.' He just stood there and .. listened. And when it was over he turned to me and he said: 'There are 49 gods in our pantheon, Vir. To tell you the truth I never believed in any of them. But if only one of them exist, .. then god sings with that voice.' It's funny. After everything we've been through, all he did, .. I miss him."
-- Sheridan, Franklin, Vir in Babylon 5:"Sleeping in Light"

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 01/07/14

Which explains this scene, 4 years earlier.

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 01/28/14

Yesterday was the 20th anniversary (January 26, 1994) for the first season of ‪Babylon 5.

"Babylon 5 was the last of the Babylon stations. There would never be another.

It changed the future and it changed us. It taught us that we have to create the future or others will do it for us. It showed us that we have to care for one another, because if we don't, who will? And that true strength sometimes comes from the most unlikely places.

Mostly, though, I think it gave us hope, that there can always be new beginnings. Even for people like us."

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 02/04/14

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/21/14

Having shared the final episodes of B5 through Diera's Tv-palooza stream, I began to wonder about the fate of David. The mentioned - but never seen - son of Delenn and John Sheridan. The questions I had were apparently answered in Out of the Darkness. The third and final book in the Legions of Fire series. It was written by Peter David, based on an outline by J. Michael Straczynski.
David Sheridan II was born in 2262. David spent his childhood growing up on Minbar where he was often visited by his godfather Michael Garibaldi, or as he disliked being called: "Uncle Mikey." When he was nine, the Centauri Prince Regent Dius Vintari came to live with David and his family at the Royal Palace in Tuzanor and for a time the Centauri became something of an older brother to David.

The young Sheridan became part of the Drakh's plans for making war on the Interstellar Alliance. Emperor Londo Mollari (who was under Drakh control by means of a Keeper) gave Sheridan's parents an ancient Centauri urn. Mollari said it was traditional for this urn to be given to the heir to the throne on his 16th birthday, and that it contained water from the river which in front of the first Imperial Palace, two thousand years ago. In reality, it contained another Drakh Keeper waiting inside for the right moment to attach itself to the child.

For the next 16 years, the Keeper maintained a low level telepathic bond with Sheridan. At his 16th birthday, Sheridan gave the urn to his son at his birthday party. Later that night, the Drakh keeper broke out of the urn and attached itself to Sheridan. Because of the years spent establishing a low level telepathic bond, the Keeper was able to eat into Sheridan's nervous system on a far more profound level than normal.

Under the Keeper's influence, Sheridan ran away from Minbar, but not before being confronted by his father, who found the Drakh Keeper on his shoulder. Sheridan headed for Centauri Prime in order to lure his parents into following him there. Despite a plea from Michael Garibaldi not to rush off to Centauri Prime, both of Sheridan's parents went anyway, and were both captured by the Centauri. Garibaldi went to Babylon 5, where he was able to learn from Vir Cotto that the Drakh had been on Centauri Prime for quite some time, and that they were in control of the Emperor and Prime Minister.

Mollari was ordered by the Drakh to have David's parents killed - however, he arranged their escape after drinking enough to gain a few minutes of freedom from the Keeper's influence. Sheridan and his parents were placed on a shuttle, which John Sheridan flew back to Minbar. Mollari's retainers gave Sheridan a sedative to put him to sleep, which also sedated the Keeper. Mollari and G'Kar sacrificed themselves to ensure the escape was a success.

Upon returning to Minbar, Sheridan was examined by Doctor Franklin. Franklin figured out that the only way to remove the Keeper without killing Sheridan would be to kill the Drakh that spawned the Keeper.

Vir Cotto - who had just been named Emperor - and Garibaldi returned to Centauri Prime. They found the Drakh Shiv'kala, who had spawned the Keeper. Vir killed the Drakh, which in turn also killed the Keeper. Sheridan was finally free of the Keeper, and the Centauri were finally freed from the Drakh.
Later lifeEdit

Sometime after the events on Centauri Prime, Sheridan entered the Rangers. Despite the high standing of John Sheridan and Delenn, Sheridan was not given any special treatment. When John Sheridan was taken to be with the other First Ones in 2281, Sheridan did not attend the last dinner. Sheridan's parents didn't want to interrupt his Ranger training, and Delenn wanted David to remember his father as he was.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/09/14

phpBB [media]

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 05/20/14

phpBB [media]

Urdis
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Re: Posts from Down Below (Babylon 5)

Post by Urdis » 05/21/14

I really need to finish watching this show. I don't even remember where I left off.

Tallindra
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Tallindra » 06/06/14

Urdis wrote:I really need to finish watching this show. I don't even remember where I left off.
I know I watched all of it... way back in the day. My memories of it are all jumbled up nowadays, which is as good as having watched none of it. I just remember a pervasive feeling of awesomeness.

Does mean I need to re-watch it all. :D

Tomias
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Tomias » 06/06/14

Yes, yes it does. Why are you even here? Get back to watching!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 08/12/15

I'm embarrassed that I didn't know this book ever existed.

https://www.amazon.com/Babylon-Twenty-A ... 1630770485

https://www.cafepress.com/b5books

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 08/16/15

phpBB [media]

Shank
Dream Warden
Dream Warden

Post by Shank » 08/19/15

Some interviews about B5 with JMS that reveal a lot about the show, including some intense secrets.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Shank
Dream Warden
Dream Warden

Post by Shank » 08/19/15

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/28/16

Another great explorer joins the others out on the rim...

https://www.tmz.com/2016/07/28/jerry-do ... on-5-dead/

https://www.epictimes.com/07/28/2016/j- ... rry-doyle/

Babylon 5 Creator J. Michael Straczynski On the Death of Jerry Doyle
Jul 28, 2016

When it came to politics, Jerry Doyle and I disagreed on, well, pretty much everything. Politically, Jerry was just to the right of Attila the Hun. There is a line in Babylon 5 where his character, Michael Garibaldi, suggests that the way to deal with crime is to go from electric chairs to electric bleachers. That line is quintessential Jerry Doyle. I say this with confidence because I overheard him saying it at lunch then stole it for the show.

Despite our differences, when Jerry ran for congress as a Republican not long after Babylon 5 ended, I donated to his campaign. Not because I agreed with him, but because I respected him; because there was one area in which we agreed: the vital intersection between the arts of acting and storytelling. In that respect, Jerry was a consummate professional. Regardless of whatever was going on in his life, whether it was marital issues, a broken arm, forced couch-surfing with Bruce and Andreas or other problems, he never once pulled a prima donna on us; he showed up every day on time, knew his lines, and insisted that the guest cast live up to the standards of the main cast, to the point of roughing up one guest star who showed up not knowing his lines. Trust me when I say that after Jerry got done with him, every day he showed up, he knew his lines. And then some.

He was funny, and dangerous, and loyal, and a prankster, and a pain in the ass; he was gentle and cynical and hardened and insightful and sometimes as dense as a picket fence...and his passing is a profound loss to everyone who knew him, especially those of us who fought beside him in the trenches of Babylon 5. It is another loss in a string of losses that I cannot understand. Of the main cast, we have lost Richard Biggs, Michael O'Hare, Andreas Katsulas, Jeff Conaway, and now Jerry Doyle, and I'm goddamned tired of it.

So dear sweet universe, if you are paying attention in the vastness of interstellar space, take a moment from plotting the trajectory of comets and designing new DNA in farflung cosmos, and spare a thought for those who you have plucked so untimely from our ranks...and knock it off for a while.

Because this isn't fair.

And Jerry Doyle would be the first person to tell you that. Right before he put a fist in your face. Which is what I imagine he's doing right now, on the other side of the veil.

J. Michael Straczynski
Executive Producer, Babylon 5

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 06/18/17

phpBB [media]

http://deadline.com/2017/06/stephen-fur ... 202115443/
Actor Stephen Furst, best known for his performances as the hapless Flounder in Animal House and put-upon rookie doc Eliott Axelrod on St. Elsewhere, died yesterday at his home in Moorpark, California, near Los Angeles, due to complications from diabetes.

His death was announced by his sons Nathan and Griffith Furst, who asked that fans “celebrate his life by watching one of his movies or use one of his bits to make someone else laugh – really, really hard.” See their entire statement below.

Furst had a couple of small credits before landing the part of Kent “Flounder” Dorfman in 1978’s Animal House. He went on to reprise the role in TV’s short-lived Delta House in 1979.

Guest credits on series like The Jeffersons, Chips and Newhart preceded his second most-memorable role, as Dr. Axelrod on the groundbreaking St. Elsewhere, a performance by turns comic and dramatic as he was forever subjected to the ire of William Daniels’ tyrannical Dr. Mark Craig.

He later played Vir Cotto in the 1994-98 Babylon 5, and was the voice of Booster in TV’s Buzz Lightyear of Star Command, among numerous other roles. He was also a spokesperson for the American Diabetes Association.

Furst is survived by his wife Lorraine, his sons and two grandchildren.

Here is the statement tweeted by his sons.

And here he’s remembered by his Babylon 5 costar Bruce Boxleitner:

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 06/19/17

Not a Vir quote, but this immediately leapt to mind:

"My shoes are too tight, and I've forgotten how to dance."

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/12/17

GOOD NEWS for B5 FANS!

http://b5books.com/

phpBB [media]

Follow the link. IMO, this is a MUST have.