All manner of fun stuff!
Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

Post by Psia » 01/17/15

phpBB [media]

https://www.cnet.com/news/the-expanse-o ... YHF65cbda0
The Expanse (SyFy) as Game of Thrones in Space?

A lot of people would say "Game of Thrones" has already cemented itself as one of the best TV series of all time, but I can't help but wonder sometimes if it would be even better if it was set in outer space.

That's sort of the premise behind SyFy's upcoming series "The Expanse," which many are billing as "Game of Thrones in space." On Thursday, SyFy released a trailer for "The Expanse" that suggests the show will be pretty exciting, and could easily top sci-fi fans' must-watch list for 2015.

"The Expanse" is based on a space opera novel called "Leviathan Wakes," the first in a series of at least nine books by Daniel Abraham and Ty Franck, who jointly use the pen name James S. A. Corey. "Leviathan Wakes" has earned a ton of praise from book critics and even "Game of Thrones" writer George R.R. Martin himself, who called the book a "really kick-ass space opera."

According to SyFy, the series follows the case of a missing young woman who brings a hardened detective and a rogue ship's captain together in a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history. Intriguing, no?

The first season of "The Expanse" will have 10 episodes, and is set to debut on the SyFy channel sometime in 2015. Watch the trailer embedded at the top of this post - -if you're not in the US you can see a version here -- and let the excitement for the series hold you over until whenever it debuts.
I hadn't heard of the novels mentioned. But thie IO9 item from 2011 calls the first book, 'as close as you'll get to a Hollywood blockbuster in book form'.

https://io9.com/5802479/leviathan-wakes ... -book-form
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Re: The Expanse (SyFy) as Game of Thrones in Space?

Post by Tregarde » 01/18/15

Looks like it has potential.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 01/18/15

It looks like it has good names behind it. I bolded their names below. I wouldn't mind if the pre-premiere launch hype adds up to something good. Maybe it will further inspire SyFy to rebrand itself as the Science Fiction Channel, again?

http://ap.ign.com/the-expanse/85765/new ... eries-to-d
It may be challenging to gauge what Syfy's The Expanse is all about us based on the new (and cool) trailer, but we've got some more details for you about the series, which is based on a the best-selling sci-fi book series be "James S. A. Corey" (a pseudonym for authors Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham), thanks to the cast and creators appearing recently at the Television Critics Association press tour.

First, check out the trailer for the show, which Syfy's president Dave Howe called the network's "most ambitious series to date." Which is saying a lot when you consider Ron Moore's Battlestar Galactica remake, the current series Defiance (which is integrated with an MMORPG), and the new 12 Monkeys adaptation.

Epic in scale, The Expanse is set 200 years in the future after mankind has colonized the solar system. A hardened detective, played by Thomas Jane, and a rogue ship’s captain, played by Steven Strait, come together for what starts as the case of a missing young woman, but quickly evolves into a race across the solar system to expose the greatest conspiracy in human history.

Creators Mark Fergus (writer of Iron Man and Children of Men) and Naren Shankar (writer/producer for Grimm, Almost Human, Star Trek: TNG) were on hand at the TCAs to explain further what The Expanse was going to bring to TV.

"The setup of the world is that humanity has gone out into the solar system and settled, the moon, Mars and out into the Astroid Belt," Shankar said. "There’s mining colonies. There’s commerce. So what’s happened is you’ve got humanity in sort of three different places culturally, ethnically, and to certain extent, even biologically. So we have Earth, the original planet. We have Martians, which is now an independent state, very high technology. It’s a culture that’s devoted to terraforming the planet."

"And then you have the Belt," he continued. "Which is sort of a ragtag area with astroid stations and miners and little colonies. Those are the three distinct elements of humanity. And what is happening is when people get to the point where they can identify somebody else as different from them, that’s when conflict starts to happen, when you can say that person is not the same color as you or is not the same tribe as you. That gives you a reason to fight. And part of and one of the themes we have at the heart of the show is this sense that that same quality that enables human beings to conquer space are the same qualities that cause us to fight and cause us to wage war."

Fergus, following up on that, added "We always felt that the great struggle of a lot of sci-fi we grew up on takes us into a story world where we’ve already jumped over the interesting part, which is the first fumbling steps of us pushing off this planet, getting out into the solar system, sorting ourselves out as a race. All the struggle and the pain and the glory of that, usually sci-fi kind of hops over it. Everything is kind of done. And to us, we really got turned on by the books because they told of this world where 'Here is the scaffolding. Here is how it got built. Here is who built it. Here is how humanity starting looking at itself differently and getting rid of old forms of racism and creating new forms of racism.' So let’s tell that story."

How long could The Expanse run for if it turns out to be a hit for the network? According to Shankar, the sky's the limit. "There are currently, I believe, four books out, a fifth about to come out and plans for, I’d say, nine, ten? So it’s an amazing amount of material. Ty Franck and Daniel Abraham who are collectively James S.A. Corey, they just created a truly living, believable, fully rendered, fleshed out place. And in terms of where the series can go, it can just keep going, and that’s a wonderful thing to have underneath everything we’re doing."

With authors Franck and Abraham on the show's writing team, the question was raised: Do they push back against changes from their source material? "They’re not so worried if we play with the Lego blocks a little bit and move things around," Fergus said. "But generally I’d say it’s a really faithful adaptation with opportunities that we’re allowed to take in TV and also that we can slow down a little bit and fill in corners that they didn’t have the opportunity to, especially in the first book. We can make their universe more rich than kind of to do the things they intended to do and didn’t have the space for."

The Expanse stars Thomas Jane as a detective named Miller who's searching for a missing woman; Shohreh Aghdashloo plays Chrisjen, an assistant on Earth to the undersecretary of executive administration at the UN; Magic City's Steven Strait plays rogue ship captain Jim Holden, who's been running from responsibility his whole life; Dominique Tipper plays Naomi, the brilliant, tough, superintelligent head engineer of the Canterbury, which is a ship; Cas Anvar plays Martian pilot Alex Kamal.

The Expanse premieres on Syfy later in 2015. The first season will be based on the first book in the Expanse series, Leviathan Wakes.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 12/16/15

SyFy has now put the first four episodes online.

https://www.syfy.com/theexpanse/episodes

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 12/17/15

I'll see if I can take a look at these.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 01/11/18

There is some great action, scifi and political intrigue throughout this series.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 01/11/18

I wish this was on Netflix already.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/10/18

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/10/18

Season Three starts in April! :)

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/26/18

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 05/11/18

‘The Expanse’ To End On Syfy With Season 3, Will Be Shopped Elsewhere
http://deadline.com/2018/05/the-expanse ... 202388026/

Here's hoping the show finds a new home.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/11/18

This was mentioned in Shout Box last night. But no link to solid information. So I assumed it was just a silly rumor.

SyFy as a network has been doing so much better these past 5+ years at creating solid science fiction. After an incredibly dry period of just being a terrible network. I just don't get this decision at all.

I've been following season 3 and the standard that the series established is solidly maintained. I would like to know what reason NBC/Universal has for micro-managing the SyFy Channel programming in this way? Are the series productions values so good that they can't afford to maintain it? They don't want to pay the cast what they are worth?

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/12/18

A bit more info on the cancellation. Here is to Netflix noticing to pick it up? The show would reach a whole new audience that would appreciate, I'd think.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/05/ ... -new-home/

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/15/18

Word on the street is that Netflix took a pass. Why so is anyone's guess. Now the push is for Amazon to jump in to rescue the production.

https://news.avclub.com/get-involved-in ... 1826053658

http://www.museumofsciencefiction.org/save-the-expanse/

#SaveTheExpanse

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 05/21/18

Looks like Amazon is in talks to take on the show. It's not a done-deal yet, so keep those fingers crossed!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/22/18

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/25/18

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 05/26/18

The deal is sealed. The Expanse is moving to Amazon.
http://variety.com/2018/tv/news/the-exp ... 202823280/

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/26/18

We needed this to happen. Especially after this weeks episode. If the story wasn't hardcore sci-fi before, it certainly was by episode's end. Dramatic changes incoming.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/07/18

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 10/07/18

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/19/18

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 02/07/19

https://io9.gizmodo.com/hell-yeah-burn- ... 425897/amp

Season 4 finished filming yesterday!

Seasons 1, 2, and 3 hit Amazon Prime today!

Also shared today, Burn Gorman, who we would know from Torchwood, Pacific Rim and, recently via RMTV's Turn, has filmed for season 4 of The Expanse. He is good. So that is a hint of what to look forward to.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

Post by Psia » 02/13/19

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Re: The Expanse (Amazon Prime)

Post by Tregarde » 02/13/19

Oh that's right, it's coming to Amazon... I can finally catch up! WEEEE!