All manner of fun stuff!
Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Fox orders series based on DC's "Lucifer"

Post by Tregarde » 02/19/15

https://io9.com/fox-is-simultaneously-g ... 1686815107
Fox Is Simultaneously Greenlighting And Ruining The Lucifer TV Series

Hey, remember how WB and DC was woking on a TV series based on Lucifer, the Sandman spin-off comic about the king of hell quitting his job and hanging out on Earth? Well, Fox has officially ordered the series, so it's definitely coming! That's the good news. Here's the bad news...

Apparently, the show will feature Lucifer helping the LAPD solve crimes. It's a goddamn police procedural (no pun intended).

What the hell?! (Still no pun intended.) Was the idea of Satan running a piano bar and dealing with the assorted players of Judeo-Christian religion, while trying to bring free will to a world created by a God that is omniscient and thus has predestined everything, not enough? Was that a little boring for Fox? Yeah, better to just make LAW & ORDER: INFERNAL VICTIMS UNIT because really, what would Satan really be doing other than helping law enforcement if he wasn't ruling in hell?

Who the fuck is this for? It's not for any of the comics fans, because it's such a fundamental change that it essentially has nothing to do with the original series. The only thing it shares is its title character. And I have to wonder how many fans of regular old crime dramas are going to be willing to accept more Satan in their entertainment. Something tells me they not the idea of SATAN, CONSULTING POLICE DETECTIVE ISN'T GOING TO BE THE ENORMOUS RATINGS DRAW THEY MAY THINK.

Ugh. The pilot will be directed by Underworld's Len Wiseman and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, so at least we know the series has the real Satan's blessing.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: Fox orders series based on DC's "Lucifer"

Post by Psia » 02/19/15

LAW & ORDER: INFERNAL VICTIMS UNIT. I like it! :P
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 06/27/18

So I actually watched all of Season One's original run. And I liked this show pretty well. Flash forward to the present. I had missed Season Two and Three. While I had a few friends who continued watching and sharing highlights, I had reached a saturation point on how many shows I could keep up with.

Following the cancellation of The Expanse by SyFy, Fox would cancel Lucifer. Of all the networks, FOX seems to be rather old school. Having never adapted to the realities of streaming. Stuck solidly on the traditional model of by appointment programming. They simply don't count streaming to gauge their television line-ups popularity. They are stuck in the 1990's.

Both series managed to inspire near riots online. I just hadn't the awareness that Lucifer has such a fiery following. While Amazon Prime picked up The Expanse, they also negotiated for Lucifer. Which didn't work out. So Netflix jumped in and rescued Lucifer.

I'm pretty sure that television history has been changed somewhat since these events happened.

Now I'm binging season two - via Lyah's Plex - and I do see why it was popular. Dr. Linda continues to impress me. And Maze is my favorite character.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 06/27/18

Pretty much a given that any good show on Fox is going to end up cancelled. Meanwhile, the Simpsons has been limping along for more than 10 years after it stopped being decent.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 12/16/18

Tonight I finished all of the Lucifer series. I can safely say that now I completely comprehend why the dedicated viewers went into #SaveLucifer mode. It had to happen.

The story being told, the path of the main cast, by the finale was quite the arc. A character was dead by episode 23. And, yes, I was surprised at how upset that made me. I did tear up. Yet, IMO, that character's arc was given a respectful conclusion. It made sense in its own way. The aftermath of this death carries into the seasons cliffhanger, episode 24. Certainly a cliffhanger worth building upon.

Oddly, FOX did respect the fans by broadcasting two additional episodes. Previously held back for the Season 4 that FOX had cancelled. Testing, it would seem, the ratings one last time. Episode 25, Boo Normal, makes only brief reference to events of the finale. Suggesting to me that it was never meant to immediately follow the events of the cliffhanger. That said, it was a lot of fun. Episode 26 was a standalone episode which could have been placed just about anywhere in a next season and be entertaining. The original decision to hold it back, IMO, was wise. As it would have stolen the immediate thunder that the finale creates. Directed by Kevin Alejandro aka Daniel Espinoza, Once Upon a Time does a solid job suggesting a what if our main characters met under different circumstances? The true bonus being a narration by God. Voiced by the comic creator, Neil Gaiman. I felt that episode 26 holds up rather well.

Imagine the travesty of Netflix not having picked this series up for at least one new season? I'm hopeful that all of Lucifer can successfully migrate from FOX/Amazon to Netflix. If new viewers can join us veterans to binge the whole series I expect season 4 will have a solid following.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 12/17/18

I just noted that all three seasons of Lucifer are available to stream on Netflix!

There is time to consider starting the series if it's new to you. And for early fans to get a refresher.