Discovery: Star Trek Returns to Television???

All manner of fun stuff!
Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Discovery: Star Trek Returns to Television???

Post by Psia » 11/02/15

http://www.startrek.com/article/new-sta ... nuary-2017
http://trekcore.com/blog/2015/11/breaki ... uary-2017/

CBS Television Studios announced today it will launch a totally new Star Trek television series in January 2017. The new series will blast off with a special preview broadcast on the CBS Television Network. The premiere episode and all subsequent first-run episodes will then be available exclusively in the United States on CBS All Access, the Network’s digital subscription video on demand and live streaming service.

The next chapter of the Star Trek franchise will also be distributed concurrently for television and multiple platforms around the world by CBS Studios International.

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

The brand-new Star Trek will introduce new characters seeking imaginative new worlds and new civilizations, while exploring the dramatic contemporary themes that have been a signature of the franchise since its inception in 1966.

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness (2013) with Orci and Damon Lindelof. Both films were produced and directed by J.J. Abrams.

The new series will be produced by CBS Television Studios in association with Kurtzman’s Secret Hideout. Kurtzman and Heather Kadin will serve as executive producers. Kurtzman is also an executive producer for the hit CBS television series Scorpion and Limitless, along with Kadin and Orci, and for Hawaii Five-0 with Orci.

Star Trek, which will celebrate its 50th anniversary in 2016, is one of the most successful entertainment franchises of all time. The original Star Trek spawned a dozen feature films and five successful television series. Almost half a century later, the Star Trek television series are licensed on a variety of different platforms in more than 190 countries, and the franchise still generates more than a billion social media impressions every month.

Born from the mind of Gene Roddenberry, the original Star Trek series debuted on Sept. 8, 1966 and aired for three seasons – a short run that belied the influence it would have for generations. The series also broke new ground in storytelling and cultural mores, providing a progressive look at topics including race relations, global politics and the environment.

“There is no better time to give Star Trek fans a new series than on the heels of the original show’s 50th anniversary celebration,” said David Stapf, President, CBS Television Studios. “Everyone here has great respect for this storied franchise, and we’re excited to launch its next television chapter in the creative mind and skilled hands of Alex Kurtzman, someone who knows this world and its audience intimately.”

“This new series will premiere to the national CBS audience, then boldly go where no first-run Star Trek series has gone before – directly to its millions of fans through CBS All Access,” said Marc DeBevoise, Executive Vice President/General Manager – CBS Digital Media. “We’ve experienced terrific growth for CBS All Access, expanding the service across affiliates and devices in a very short time. We now have an incredible opportunity to accelerate this growth with the iconic Star Trek, and its devoted and passionate fan base, as our first original series.”

“Every day, an episode of the Star Trek franchise is seen in almost every country in the world,” said Armando Nuñez, President and CEO, CBS Global Distribution Group. “We can’t wait to introduce Star Trek's next voyage on television to its vast global fan base.”

CBS All Access offers its customers more than 7,500 episodes from the current television season, previous seasons and classic shows on demand nationwide, as well as the ability to stream local CBS stations live in more than 110 markets. Subscribers can use the service online and across devices via CBS.com, the CBS App for iOS, Android and Windows 10, as well as on connected devices such as Apple TV, Android TV, Chromecast, Roku players and Roku TV, with more connected devices to come.

The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: It's Official: Star Trek Returns to Television in 2017

Post by Psia » 11/02/15

Psia The new television series is not related to the upcoming feature film Star Trek Beyond which is scheduled to be distributed by Paramount Pictures in summer 2016.
I did breath a deep sigh of relief upon reading this part. Not enough details otherwise. I don't have an immediate reaction to Kurtzman.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 11/02/15

I'm very curious what they have planned.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 11/02/15

Alex Kurtzman will serve as executive producer for the new Star Trek TV series. Kurtzman co-wrote and produced the blockbuster films Star Trek (2009) with Roberto Orci, and Star Trek Into Darkness.
*sob*

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 11/03/15

Very uncertain how to feel about this with no further details.

I think the 'direct access' bullshit will backfire on them in an epic fashion. That right there makes me think of how UPN's exclusivity (and that was broadcast cable) sunk Voyager's ratings. I'd hate a new series to start off with this millstone around its neck. Not that it matters, because someone will torrent it 1,2,3.

Not terribly thrilled with Kurtzman, either.

Think I'll watch Axanar again and dream.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/03/15

https://trekcore.com/blog/2015/11/cbs-p ... streaming/
During a earnings report conference call with reporters today, CBS Corporation's president and CEO Les Moonves talked for a bit about the decision to launch STAR TREK: SERIES SIX on the online streaming service CBS All Access rather than on broadcast television.
  • "A lot of conversation went into what we were going to do [with the new show]."
While stressing that CBS will continue to supply other content to both Netflix and Hulu, Moonves described the Star Trek franchise as the "family jewel" for their ongoing business.
  • "We're looking to do original content on All Access and build up that platform. Netflix is our friend, [but] a competitor. They compete with Showtime [which is a CBS holding]. All Access will put out original content and knowing the loyalty of "Star Trek" fans, this will boost it.

There's about a billion channels out there and because of "Star Trek," people will know what All Access is about."
Moonves continued, discussing the international plans for extended distribution.
  • "All the series have done well in terms of streaming. Added in to that, "Star Trek" is a huge international franchise. Our international distribution guy is going crazy; he can't wait to get out to the marketplace and sell that.

Right away, we're more than halfway home on the cost of the show from international alone. The risk is small in seeing the track record. We think it'll be great and bring in a lot more subscribers. We're really excited about it.

[The new show is] world-class effort that will make all "Star Trek" fans proud."

Of course, Star Trek is no stranger to new distribution methods.

The abandoned Star Trek: Phase II sequel series was intended to be the cornerstone of a never-formed Paramount Television network, a move repeated in 1995 when UPN started on the back of Star Trek: Voyager. 1987's Star Trek: The Next Generation, of course, was a groundbreaking example of a produced-for-syndication series sold directly to location stations in the United States, bypassing the standard broadcast model.

Specific non-US distribution plans have not been finalized or announced yet, but yesterday's announcement from CBS does indicate that some form of streaming and television availability will be part of the release of SERIES SIX.

We've got lots still ahead of us in this new adventure -- so hang on as we start the first new Trek adventure in years.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 11/03/15

DING!
And it seems like the bean counters *still* don't get it.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/04/15

TNG did so well in syndication. I wish Series Six had that opportunity.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 02/09/16

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-f ... set-863233
CBS' 'Star Trek' Taps Bryan Fuller as Showrunner
The 'Hannibal' alum started his career writing for the franchise.

Bryan Fuller is going back to his roots.

The veteran writer-producer has been tapped to serve as co-creator and showrunner on CBS' Star Trek reboot and will serve alongside Alex Kurtzman, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

CBS' new Star Trek — picked up straight to series to air on CBS' digital platform All Access — hails from prolific producer Kurtzman. The series is a new take on the beloved sci-fi classic, with the premiere slated to air on the network in January 2017 before subsequent episodes air on its digital and VOD platform. Star Trek marks the first original series developed specifically for CBS All Access.

For Fuller, CBS' Star Trek marks his return to the franchise, where he began as a freelancer and rose through the ranks to co-producer. The Wonderfalls and Pushing Daisies alum started his career on Star Trek: Deep Space Nine and Star Trek: Voyager. Fuller wrote a combined 22 episodes in the franchise, with that tally likely to grow with the CBS All Access take.

Added Kurtzman: “Bringing Star Trek back to television means returning it to its roots, and for years those roots flourished under Bryan’s devoted care. His encyclopedic knowledge of Trek canon is surpassed only by his love for Gene Roddenberry’s optimistic future, a vision that continues to guide us as we explore strange new worlds.”

For Fuller, he will now juggle showrunning duties on Star Trek as well as Starz's upcoming adaptation of Neil Gaiman's American Gods, the latter of which he will oversee with Michael Green (Heroes). As for Hannibal, the veteran producer told THR in August that exec producer Martha De Laurentiis was looking into financing for a film.

"There is something in the novel Hannibal that has not been done in any of the adaptations, and I would love to explore that with Will Graham and Hannibal Lecter," he said. "I’m hoping that someday, whether it’s a year from now … two years from now … that we will continue to get to tell that story."

On the development side, Fuller is prepping an Amazing Stories for NBC. There has been no word on the fate of the weekly anthology.
Researching Fuller, here is his Trek pedigree:

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Bryan_Fuller
  • DS9: (2)
    "The Darkness and the Light" (story)
    "Empok Nor" (story)

VOY: (20)
    "The Raven" (teleplay, story with Harry "Doc" Kloor)
    "Mortal Coil"
    "Retrospect" (teleplay with Lisa Klink)
    "Living Witness" (teleplay with Brannon Braga & Joe Menosky)
    "Drone" (teleplay with Braga & Menosky, story with Kloor)
    "Gravity" (teleplay with Nick Sagan, story with Jimmy Diggs & Sagan)
    "Bride of Chaotica!" (teleplay with Michael Taylor, story)
    "Course: Oblivion" (teleplay with Sagan, story)
    "Juggernaut" (teleplay with Sagan & Kenneth Biller, story)
    "Relativity" (teleplay with Sagan & Taylor)
    "Barge of the Dead" (teleplay, story with Ronald D. Moore)
    "Alice" (teleplay with Taylor)
    "One Small Step" (teleplay with Mike Wollaeger, Jessica Scott & Taylor)
    "Spirit Folk"
    "Fury" (teleplay with Taylor)
    "The Haunting of Deck Twelve" (teleplay with Mike Sussman & Biller)
    "Flesh and Blood" (Part I - teleplay, story with Jack Monaco & Raf Green; Part II - story with Green)
    "Workforce" (with Biller)
    "Workforce, Part II" (story with Biller)
    "Friendship One" (with Taylor)

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 02/10/16

Back in 2013 Fuller was pitching a Star Trek series. Obviously, it didn't happen then, but maybe now he'll be able to realize at least some of his ideas.

https://www.denofgeek.com/tv/star-trek/ ... rams-guard
You wouldn’t set it on the Enterprise though?

Yeah, I think let that be the movies and let that be their story. I would love to do something on the Reliant. I want Angela Lansbury…Not Lansbury! I want Angela Bassett to be the captain, that’s who I would love to have, you know Captain Angela Bassett and First Officer Rosario Dawson. I would love to do that version of the show and but that’s in the future to be told.
Okay, that's some pretty awesome dream casting!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 02/10/16

Yeah. Bassett's name is all over the internet now. I've been a fan of hers since Strange Days. Series 7 (I count the cartoon ;) ) would have to really be something special for someone of her caliber to attach her career to. I'd be thrilled if it happens.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 02/26/16

This gives me much hope for the new series!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ins-869985
'Star Trek': Nicholas Meyer Joins CBS Series as Writer-Producer

CBS' Star Trek is adding a familiar name to its writing staff.

Nicholas Meyer has boarded the drama from Bryan Fuller and Alex Kurtzman, The Hollywood Reporter has learned.

CBS' new Star Trek — picked up straight to series to air on CBS' digital platform All Access — hails from prolific producer Kurtzman. The series is a new take on the beloved sci-fi classic, with the premiere slated to air on the network in January 2017 before subsequent episodes air on its digital and VOD platform. Star Trek marks the first original series developed specifically for CBS All Access.

Meyer will serve as a writer and consulting producer on the drama produced by CBS Television Studios.

"Nicholas Meyer chased Kirk and Khan 'round the Mutara Nebula and 'round Genesis' flames, he saved the whales with the Enterprise and its crew, and waged war and peace between Klingons and the Federation. We are thrilled announce that one of Star Trek's greatest storytellers will be boldly returning as Nicholas Meyer beams aboard the new Trek writing staff," Fuller said.

Meyer penned the screenplay and directed 1991's Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country and penned 1986's Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home. He also directed and wrote Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. He's repped by Paradigm.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 02/27/16

Damn. If I had any doubts they are now gone. I'll say that I'm actually in for this ride.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 02/27/16

Hrm.... just because they've got all the right tools doesn't mean the birdhouse will look nice, or attract birds.
There's only so much trading on name and reputation before substance needs to be produced.
Enterprise had a great 'tool box' too, initially. Lack of a plan and improper use of that tool box killed what could have been a truly great show.

If this were for broadcast, without the whole "All Access" PPV model... I might be on board.
Until that happens, I remain *highly* skeptical.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 02/29/16

I agree that skepticism is warranted. I'm simply saying I may bother to watch the premiere episode. Where previously my curiosity as a Trekkie has most certainly been held back.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 02/29/16

http://www.denofgeek.us/tv/star-trek/25 ... -different

Last week, Star Trek fans must have felt like they were slingshot-ing around the sun and headed back in time: acclaimed writer/director Nicholas Meyer is coming back to Star Trek! Bryan Fuller—the showrunner of the new CBS Star Trek TV show— has brought Nicholas Meyer—director of The Wrath of Khan & The Undiscovered Country— into the new Trek writer’s room.

Luckily, just days after this announcement, I was able to get Nicholas Meyer on the phone and grill him on his initial thoughts about being called back into service for Starfleet. Read on to discover which Star Trek film might be the touchstone for the new show, why Meyer came back, and what how he himself views his legacy and popularity.
  • Interviewer’s note: This interview took place over the phone on 2.27.2016. Mr. Meyer was at his home in Los Angeles.
Make no mistake: Nicholas Meyer is the reason why Star Trek made it out of the '80s. Without his direction and writing of The Wrath of Khan, we could live in an alternate universe in which J.J. Abrams never makes 2009’s Star Trek, and, by extension, The Force Awakens never exists. I say this not only because Nicholas Meyer gave a very-young J.J. Abrams a copy of The Annotated Sherlock Holmes for his bar mitzvah, but because The Wrath of Khan revitalized the Star Trek brand for an audience beyond just Trekkies and science fiction fans.

he Wrath of Khan was a box office and critical hit, which is more than can be said for 1979’s Star Trek: The Motion Picture. If Wrath hadn’t been so full of pathos, literature, character and real storytelling, there’s every reason to think the future of Star Trek movies (and future TV shows) might have died right then and there. In 1982 Janet Maslin of The New York Times began her glowing review with the words “Now this is more like it” while one of today’s leading geek critic Jill Pantozzi reminds us that Nicholas Meyer’s Star Trek films “[gave] the character’s back their personalities.” He re-wrote the script of Wrath in two weeks, inserted tons of funny bits in Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, and gave the original cast a poignantly political send-off with Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country. If Nicholas Meyer was your parents’ Star Trek, then your parents’ Star Trek was awesome.

Check out our brief chat with Nicholas Meyer below:

Ryan Britt: Just a few years ago, would you have thought that you’d be back writing for Star Trek?

Nicholas Meyer: No. No one’s ever asked me!

How much do you know about the new show? What can you tell me?

I can’t tell you anything! I know things. But if I told you, I’d have to kill you.

What will be your new role in the writers’ room? Will you be writing individual episodes? Or larger story arcs?

If I’m lucky, I’ll get to write episodes. If I’m less lucky, I’ll just get to sit in that room with all those other clever people.

How big of a writers’ room do you think it’s going to be?

I don’t know!

A lot of Star Trek fans are hoping that this new show might signal a return to self-contained stories, rather than the big season-long arcs we see in most contemporary television. Will this be the case?

I think it’s going to be a different Star Trek. It will go in a different direction. And I think that is probably good. Because the thing that mainly troubles me about Star Trek is the fear of it being maybe re-treads of itself. And to the degree that I had any influence on the thing [Star Trek] at all was that at least while I was there, we were fooling around. And if you’re not fooling around, then things can become stale. And I think that Bryan [Fuller]—who is a very clever fellow—has ideas—some of which I’ve heard—that are innovative and different. Different is what got me interested.

Is that sense of difference the most exciting thing about this?

I like to go boldly where people haven’t gone before!

What’s the biggest challenge or fear?

The same fear and challenge of every project. It’s called “failure.” Fear of failure!

You’ve always incorporated literary influences into your previous Star Treks. Are we going to see more of that this time? What kinds of references might we see in the new Star Trek? More Hornblower? Sherlock Holmes? Dickens?

What people take to be my penchant for “literary references,” is just me free-associating. It isn’t as premeditated, or as thematically bound-up as I think people might think. If it’s trademark you can blame my high school and the University of Iowa. It’s just sort of how I think.

But as an after-effect, for someone like me, it’s a bonus. It may have been free-association for you, but for many of us, I think it enhanced our enjoyment of Star Trek and maybe even got us into some of those books. [Moby Dick, Sherlock Holmes, et al.]

Well, I’m hoping the reason I was invited to do this was connected to—presumably— something I would have to offer. Whether that is the case, or whether it’s recognized when it happens remains to be seen. I’m not a silver bullet… Jack Warner said this of screenwriters: “They were just schmucks with Underwoods.” You know what an Underwood is?

I’m not sure…

[Laughs] It was a typewriter!

I should have known that! So, the politics of both Star Trek IV and Star Trek VI are what make those movies what they are. Is there something from the existing political landscape that might make its way into these new Star Treks?

The one thing I can relate to you is that The Undiscovered Country—according to Bryan [Fuller]—is a real sort of taking off point, or touchstone for how I guess he’s thinking about the direction of the new show. I don’t want to be misquoted and I don’t want to misquote him, but he’s fond of that film. Let’s put it that way.

How soon are you going to be getting to work?

[Laughs] I’m waiting for them to tell me!

What can you tell fans of Star Trek or fans of yours to look forward to?

Tell them to cross their fingers! [Laughs]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/04/16

The 50th Anniversary hype train continues with the announcement that Rod Roddenberry - son of Gene and Majel - will also be an Executive Producer for this new series.
  • CBS is filling out the crew of the coming “Star Trek” reboot with Rod Roddenberry, son of franchise creator Gene Roddenberry, and Trevor Roth as executive producers.

The pair join showrunner Bryan Fuller and Alex Kurtzman and Heather Kadin as exec producers on the latest iteration of “Star Trek” for TV. The CBS TV Studios production is set to premiere in early 2017 on the CBS All Access digital streaming service. Roth is chief operating officer of Roddenberry Entertainment.

“Gene Roddenberry, the Great Bird of the Galaxy, left a finely feathered nest for all who love ‘Star Trek’ to enjoy,” said Fuller. “And it is only fitting that Rod Roddenberry and Roddenberry Entertainment join our new ‘Trek’ adventure to ensure that his father’s legacy of hope for the future and infinite diversity in infinite combinations runs through our tales as Gene Roddenberry intended.”

Rod Roddenberry’s “Star Trek” lineage runs deep. His mother was Majel Barrett Roddenberry, who played Nurse Christine Chapel on the original 1966-69 NBC series. Gene Roddenberry died in 1991; Majel Roddenberry died in 2008.

Roddenberry Entertainment produces graphic novels, comics and documentary films as well as TV projects, some of which are derived from Gene Roddenberry’s archives.
This makes a team of five Executive Producers. Lyah reminded me that often these EP positions are token. Having no real input in the decision making process. Which does make me wonder why Roddenberry would attach himself to this at all? He has, IMO, been pretty good at fostering his own business interests independent of Star Trek. Makes me wonder if he negotiated a pilot deal with CBS. Since 2010, Roddenberry has had interest in revisiting his father's previous work on The Questor Tapes.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 03/05/16

One simple reason: Name recognition to draw/create buzz.

Sounds to me like a desperation move because no one (ie: fans as a whole) is getting on board to 'rah rah' the new series the way they'd like.
Once upon a time in Hollywoodland, shows came out and built buzz because they were good.

Somewhere along the way that switched to:
Create show, build buzz, worry about if it's good. If it's not, throw more buzz at it in the form of guest writers, big names, guest stars, ect.

More than anything else, this quote of Meyers is the biggest nail in the proverbial coffin so far:

The one thing I can relate to you is that The Undiscovered Country—according to Bryan [Fuller]—is a real sort of taking off point, or touchstone for how I guess he’s thinking about the direction of the new show. I don’t want to be misquoted and I don’t want to misquote him, but he’s fond of that film. Let’s put it that way.

*Wince* Alright, let's be real here. Everyone loves IV, but it's a comedic farce and a time capsule politically. It's not even relevant anymore and it was pushing the boundries of pastiche even when it came out.

VI? Was lackadaisical across the board. Now I know some people hailed this as a return to the political intrigue/tense maneuvers between (insert faction) and (insert faction)... but it was BORING. The actors (okay, other than the Klingon lead and even then...) all dialed in their performances and we could all see they were tired. They were done. Done with Trek, done with the whole thing. After the debacle that was V, everyone just wanted to wash their hands and go sip mai-tais on a beach in Maui.

So if that's their "taking off point" then I have serious concerns.

ESPECIALLY if we have to endure more god-damn mother f*cking Klingon political intrigue.
For god's sake, PLEASE give us something other than Klingons!

It's been DONE TO DEATH.

It dominated the latter half of TNG's storylines, it dominated a full 1/3 of DS9, sidetracked ENT and even crept into VOY.
The *only* Klingon based story I actually want to see is Axanar, because they are/were doing it RIGHT.

Oh, and for the love of all that is Holy, NO MORE GODDAMN BORG.

Seriously. No Klingons, No Borg.

"Strange NEW worlds..." Please?

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/05/16

Scrattch
VI? Was lackadaisical across the board. Now I know some people hailed this as a return to the political intrigue/tense maneuvers between (insert faction) and (insert faction)... but it was BORING. The actors (okay, other than the Klingon lead and even then...) all dialed in their performances and we could all see they were tired. They were done. Done with Trek, done with the whole thing. After the debacle that was V, everyone just wanted to wash their hands and go sip mai-tais on a beach in Maui.

So if that's their "taking off point" then I have serious concerns.

ESPECIALLY if we have to endure more god-damn mother f*cking Klingon political intrigue.
For god's sake, PLEASE give us something other than Klingons!

It's been DONE TO DEATH.

It dominated the latter half of TNG's storylines, it dominated a full 1/3 of DS9, sidetracked ENT and even crept into VOY.
The *only* Klingon based story I actually want to see is Axanar, because they are/were doing it RIGHT.

Oh, and for the love of all that is Holy, NO MORE GODDAMN BORG.

Seriously. No Klingons, No Borg.

"Strange NEW worlds..." Please?
I have to defend some aspects of VI. I do approve of the foundation for the story. The Klingon version of Chernobyl and a later ceasing of too long a cold war between political powers that would follow.

While acknowledging that even Meyer admits he should have respected Roddenberry's criticism that the racism - among other points - was too damned heavy. He treated Roddenberry terribly at the time and has serious regrets all these years later. If Meyer has any influence at all this time, I can only hope that the wisdom he gained may prove constructive here.

Whether or not the xenophobic Starfleet characters of VI were consistent with Roddenberry's interpretation of those main characters doesn't matter now. I didn't like it either. But it did happen. So that is part of our collective canon.

I'll agree that, maybe, Nichelle Nichols dialed in some of her performance. If only due to having to behave in a racist fashion. Something she publicly abhorred over the years since. George Takei? He ate up the scenery. He was finally getting to be the Captain.

Shatner and Nimoy, IMO, excelled. Making their scenes together work quite well. And Christopher Plummer? Hit his villain performance out of the ballpark. He wasn't Montalban's Khan. But the performance, IMO, was epic.

If this new series does wind up being set during the Lost Years between events in VI and those coming later in TNG, and if the writers make the effort, showing growth against racism might be rather timely. Which would be a very Trek thing to do.

I also speculate that this new series may not be as linear as previous series. The potential - not yet formally confirmed - casting of Tony Todd in at least two possible episodes suggests to me that he will be cast again as a Klingon. My bet is that he will be Mogh. Son of VI's Colonel Worf. Father of TNG's Worf and Kurn. Timing would be just about right. If I'm even slightly close to what is being plotted out, this series may be anthology in nature. Not exclusively set in the Federation or the Klingon Empire. And not necessarily aboard a single, hero starship. We'll see.

In my supposition, the above could happen right along side that of exploring strange, new worlds.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/25/16

Seen hanging on a wall at CBS.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 04/13/16

The latest rumor - the new series will be an anthology, and the first season will be set sometime between Undiscovered Country and TNG.
https://birthmoviesdeath.com/2016/04/13 ... generation

I'm a bit skeptical about the anthology idea. While I love the concept, sci-fi shows are expensive enough without having to tear down main sets and build brand new ones, make whole new sets of costumes for new set of actors, etc. But if it is true, imagine a season set in the Mirror Universe!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/14/16

On the flip side, an anthology (if that proves true) would give the production the excuse to build a broader collection of sets earlier, rather than fewer sets one season at a time. As has been the case for Trek series past. Not only would the writing inform set needs, but the sets that become available might inspire writers.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 05/04/16

https://trekcore.com/blog/2016/05/cbs-c ... ve-weekly/

CBS Confirms STAR TREK 2017 Episodes To Arrive Weekly
Drive-by subscribers will need to stick around past next January

In today’s CBS first-quarter earnings conference call, CBS president Les Moonves made a few comments about 2017’s new Star Trek television series coming to the company’s All Access streaming service next year, including the first clarification on a release schedule.
[“Star Trek”] will be episodic, week by week. It won’t be the Netflix [way].
CBS All Access is the only place to get the entire ‘stack’ of CBS shows, and this January, we will begin streaming our first original series. All Access will be the home of the first original “Star Trek” series in eleven years.

[The premiere episode of] “Star Trek” will debut simultaneously on All Access and the CBS television network, with subsequent episodes exclusively on All Access.

We have one of the best creative teams behind this show, and we’re confident that its large, passionate fan base will lead to substantial, profitable subscriber growth.
Moonves also repeated his previous comments about the interest from other streaming providers.
Once again, every other streaming service was after “Star Trek.” We could have cashed in for a lot of money, selling it to Netflix, Amazon, Hulu… they were all very interested in it.

We know that “Star Trek” is a high-priced, quality product, and – knowing that we will have very strong international sales which we are already getting in – it’s important that we show everybody that All Access is a priority for us… and there are a lot of very rabid “Star Trek” fans who are going sign up for it.
This may come as a disappointment to those not planning to subscribe to CBS’s streaming service for any more time than needed, as many have commented in our comments (and around the web) about plans to simply subscribe, binge-watch, and cancel after the first season of the new series becomes available.

Additionally, this is the same kind of release schedule that Hulu has been following with its original series, including this spring’s 11.22.16 and the ongoing season of The Mindy Project.

In our opinion, however, this really shouldn’t be much of a surprise. CBS has repeatedly stated their goals to use Star Trek to anchor their All Access revenue stream, and aligning the release of the new show to a traditional broadcast and cable pattern – and it makes business sense that they’re working to avoid “binge and bail” viewing habits.

In addition, for those international markets which may end up showing the series on local television networks, a weekly release will keep the global rollout relatively on pace with US accessibility

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/04/16

I'm confused. Are they saying that an episode will be posted through All-Access and then be completely taken down? Replaced by the next week's episode? That makes no sense. If I'm subscribed, I would expect to be able re-watch any episode at will. That's been a stand out disctinction between online Vs. set schedules for cable television programming.

The battle between CBS and the online pirates is gonna be an interesting one. Because pirating is the only way I will watch this series. Of course, we don't know if it will be good enough to beat Game of Thrones as the most pirated program.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 05/05/16

Meh, it's all going to be all over Bit Torrent, no matter what they choose to do. Dummies.