Discovery: Star Trek Returns to Television???

All manner of fun stuff!
Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: Discovery: Star Trek Returns to Television???

Post by Psia » 05/29/17

Found this one shared over social media this weekend. Spot on.

"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 05/31/17

Err... did someone actually say what's in the first one???
If it does, it's pretty stupid. Among other things, Yeoh isn't an American to begin with.

And in the lower picture... James Doohan is Canadian.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/31/17

Tregarde Err... did someone actually say what's in the first one???
If it does, it's pretty stupid. Among other things, Yeoh isn't an American to begin with.

And in the lower picture... James Doohan is Canadian.
And Walter Koenig isn't Russian.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 06/19/17

A date has been given - Discovery is set to premier September 24th.

CBS has announced that the 15-episode first season of Discovery will now air in two split parts: the first eight episodes will run between September 24 and November 5 on streaming service CBS All Access (the premiere will also debut on CBS itself), while the back seven will hit the service beginning in January 2018

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 06/20/17

So they didn't totally scrap the design based upon the archived concept art. A closer look at the final design for the starship Discovery. Is it just me or are they simply not capable of acknowledging the original Constitution lineage? Every prequel design seems to make Kirk's ship of the not-so-distant future look the odd duck. Instead of the foundation to be worked from.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 06/21/17

We now can see our first peek at the bridge set for the Discovery. Not much. But not a reuse of the Shenzhou's bridge it would seem.

We also get to see the supporting character of Captain Lorca. Recall that the starship Captain's of this series are not the lead actor or top billing star this time around.

The uniform is identical to that worn by the Shenzhou crew. Right down to identical Starfleet arrowhead. Which, again, is historically inaccurate. The arrowhead was exclusively the symbol for officer's serving aboard starships named Enterprise. I do wonder if it will finally be confirmed that this series isn't prime timeline at all. Nor is it the Kelvin timeline. But an entirely original, alternate timeline. The canon of many quantum realities within the Trek world would permit it well enough. I just don't think most Trek fans will buy into it.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 06/22/17

Star Trek: Discovery Boldly Goes Where No Star Trek Show Has Gone Before by Giving Away Teams Armor
http://io9.gizmodo.com/star-trek-discov ... 1796340743

Wow! Away teams may actually survive more than a single shot from an enemy!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 06/26/17

http://ew.com/tv/2017/06/26/star-trek-d ... -storyline
Star Trek: Discovery storyline revealed
Showrunners tease mysterious plot: Why there are two ships, and their biggest Trek influences

You’ve seen the trailer. You’ve read our teases. But what is Star Trek: Discovery really about? And why are there two starships in this show, the U.S.S. Discovery and the Shenzhou?

Showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg don’t want to give away too much of the plot. The CBS All Access drama is heavily serialized with plenty of twists and turns — particularly in the first few episodes — which makes the storyline difficult to discuss.

But here’s some new intel the duo are ready to reveal about the series, which stars Sonequa Martin-Green as a Starfleet First Officer who was the first human to attend the Vulcan Science Academy.

“Burnham [has] spent a lot of time on Vulcan, but she’s human,” Harberts says. “Sarek [Spock’s father, played by James Frain] plays an important role in her life, which has been completely planned until she makes a very difficult choice that sends her life on a very different path. When we meet her, she’s the First Officer on the Starship Shenzhou [captained by Philippa Georgiou, played by Michelle Yeoh]. And Burnham’s choice that we’re alluding to is most difficult choice you can make — it affects her, affects Starfleet, affects the Federation, it affects the entire universe. That choice leads her to a different ship, the Discovery [helmed by Captain Lorca, played by Jason Isaacs] and there we begin what Gretchen and I call our ‘second pilot.'”

Burham is, of course, the first Trek lead who is not a captain,* so we asked the showrunners what that choice adds to the drama.

“The joy is in the journey,” Berg replied. “The advantage to her not being in charge of the bridge right now is we get to tell stories from a very different point of view. It’s a fresh feeling because we’re not on the bridge all the time. We get access to more parts of the ship.”

Also, the Klingons are heavily involved in the season … and they’re not very friendly.

In addition, we asked the producers which Trek series or film has the biggest influence on the new series.

“There’s a hint of all of them, but in the writers’ room people are so in love with The Original Series and Next Generation, and they talk about the family aspect of those cast members,” Berg said.

Added Harberts: “I think Nicholas Myers’ film are a touchstone, and not just because he’s been on staff with us. His storytelling is complex and intellectual and yet there’s a lot of room for character voices and character work, he’s done such an incredible job with the franchise. In terms of scope and scale, there’s something about Star Trek: The Motion Picture that really speaks to us as well. CBS has allowed us to find a cinematic language that’s wider in scope — our aspect ratio is 2:1 — and it just lends itself to a very lyrical way of telling the story. And just visually speaking, there’s also a little hint in terms of what J.J. Abrams did, a little bit, in terms of some of the visuals.”
Please, gawds, no. No lense flare.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 06/26/17

The more I hear about this, the less I want to watch.
Sounds like they just put standard trek tropes into a blender and hit 'frappe'.

And Klingons, AGAIN? Out of a vast universe with 100000000000 alien races, we have to redo the F*23432432423ing Klingons.

Cassidhe
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Cassidhe » 06/26/17

I'll watch just about anything with Jason Isaac's in it.

Yeah, I'm shallow.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/14/17

STAR TREK DISCOVERY Hired Fact Checkers and Superfans to Ensure Canon Adherence
http://nerdist.com/star-trek-discovery- ... n-writers/

*looks at the new Klingons*
Uh... I'm not sure they are listening to fact checkers very well.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/17/17

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/17/17

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/17/17

Tregarde
07/14/17
STAR TREK DISCOVERY Hired Fact Checkers and Superfans to Ensure Canon Adherence
http://nerdist.com/star-trek-discovery- ... n-writers/

*looks at the new Klingons*
Uh... I'm not sure they are listening to fact checkers very well.
http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/17/star-trek-d ... ons-photo/
Entertainment Weekly “In the different versions of Trek, the Klingons have never been completely consistent,” Harberts said. “We will introduce several different houses with different styles. Hopefully, fans will become more invested in the characters than worried about the redesign.”

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/19/17

Here are close-ups for touchstone props from Original Series Star Trek. Having been given a fresh spin for the newer series. Having looked these over a number times, I do see an attempt at continuity here. Which is appreciated.

First up, the uniform emblem. Most have seen that in pictures of the actors in costume. I just find it interesting that it looks more closely to a metallic, lapel pin attached to the uniform. Not embroidered per Enterprise or TOS.

But as evidenced below, this is not skipping ahead to the TNG combadge approach. Here is is the Communicator.

And here is an interesting blend of the phaser pistol (known as Phaser 2) we first saw in The Cage (three barrels) with what we saw in TOS (the removable Phaser 1).

Extending further, they recreated the phaser rifle. Which, IMO, is blending the more heavily shielded MACO rifle we saw in Enterprise with element of Kirk's TOS rifle (sometimes called Phaser 3) with elements of the new pistol prop.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/22/17

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/22/17

Well, that trailer certainly makes it look like the opening will be quite suspenseful.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/22/17

http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/07/star-t ... -and-more/
It’s been months of buildup, but Star Trek: Discovery‘s big day at San Diego Comic-Con has arrived – and the new series took Ballroom 20 at SDCC by storm this afternoon!

The 45-minute panel opened with a brand-new look at the upcoming series, showcasing a trailer full of new footage from Discovery, including our first live look at Jason Isaac’s character (Captain Gabriel Lorca of the USS Discovery), along with our first glimpse of Rainn Wilson’s Harry Mudd.

After first hitting the Discovery prop, art, and costume gallery earlier in the day, Discovery cast members Sonequa Martin-Green (Burnham), Jason Isaacs (Lorca), Anthony Rapp (Stamets), Doug Jones (Saru), Shazad Latif (Tyler), and Mary Wiseman (Tilly) joined Rainn Wilson (Harry Mudd) on stage to discuss the series and answer fan questions submitted prior to the event.
Also joining the crew are producers Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg, as well as Alex Kurtzman.

Martin-Green reveled that she first got the call confirming she won the role of Michael Burnham while she was traveling in Buenos Aries, describing her reaction as one where she both “screamed, then cried” after learning the news.

On the changes to, producer Alex Kurtzman reiterated that the production and writing team are “all huge fans of the original series and obviously want to be accurate… we are within canon. It’s a little bit larger… in scale but we are very consistent with our origins.”

Regarding Gabriel Lorca, actor Jason Issacs admitted that his character is probably more “fucked up” than previous captains, and that he’s not trying to either look or sound like some of his Star Trek predecessors in the command chair.

Martin-Green reiterated previous comments about diversity being a central tenant of Star Trek, with Martin-Green saying that if viewers “say they love the legacy of Star Trek but don’t love [the diversity], then you’ve missed it. I encourage you to come on that journey with us.”

Producer Gretchen Berg said that the Klingon cast will be speaking Klingonese in the snew series, and that “you’ll have to get out your glasses, you will be reading” – meaning lots of subtitles for the warrior race! She continued, “we’ve gone to great lengths to be accurate with our Klingon language.”

She did also go on to say that they don’t want Klingons to be portrayed as “thugs of the universe” and that the team is working to “expand the culture” of the species. “The Klingons have their own pride, interests & talents,” said Berg.

Doug Jones next spoke about his character Lt. Commander Saru, who as a Kelpian stands nearly seven feet tall on set – and has not just an alien face, but wears hooves for feet! (Guess he doesn’t get some of those cool Discovery uniform boots we saw at the costume gallery!)
Aaron Harberts described the series central storyline as trying to show how conflict can be solved by peace; even though some parties may “make mistakes along the way” – and how in the end, it’s about “understanding each other.”

Lt. Paul Stamets – a.k.a. actor Anthony Rapp – spoke next, revelaing that “love interest and partner” on the series will be Dr. Hugh Culber, played by actor Wilson Cruz, last seen in Netflix’s 13 Reasons Why earlier this year. “I play the first openly gay character in the history of TV Star Trek,” Rapp commented, and “I’m very proud of that – and that he’s a scientist.”

Finally, revealing some backstory on Michael Burnham, Martin-Green detailed that her character’s parents were killed during her childhood, which lead to Sarek (James Frain) taking her up as a surrogate father – and then connected her with Michelle Yeoh’s Capt. Georgiou as she grew older.

Frain spoke about his inheritance of the Sarek role, previously played by both Mark Lenard and Ben Cross (in Trek ’09), finding it to be a “fascinating and complex” role – portraying a Vulcan now forced to raise a fully-human child.

So this means that yes, Spock has a human, adopted sister we’ve never heard about — the producers say to “stick with [them],” and that this new family dynamic will be explained in the upcoming series. “You’ll see where it’s going,” says Alex Kurtzman, “but we are staying consistent with canon.”

So this means that yes, Spock has a human, adopted sister we’ve never heard about — the producers say to “stick with [them],” and that this new family dynamic will be explained in the upcoming series. “You’ll see where it’s going,” says Alex Kurtzman, “but we are staying consistent with canon.”

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/22/17

The series soundtrack will be compose by Jeff Russo. Here is a sample of his work.

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/27/17

First openly gay Star Trek TV character revealed
Exclusive first look at Anthony Rapp as Lt. Stamets in Star Trek: Discovery
http://ew.com/tv/2017/07/27/star-trek-a ... discovery/

Ready to meet Lt. Stamets? EW has a first look at Star Trek‘s first openly gay character in the franchise’s 51-year television history. Played by Rent fan favorite Anthony Rapp, the character is anastromycologist (that’s a fungus expert) who has a crucial role in the show’s story.

“We’re at a point in time where people aren’t defined by their sexuality,” says Aaron Harberts, who serves as showrunner on the series along with Gretchen J. Berg. “What’s fascinating about the character is that when we meet him we don’t know who or what he is. He’s so super specific, he’s persnickety and difficult and brilliant, and he isn’t going to give an inch and he has very strong feelings about why he’s on the Discovery. We wanted to roll out that character’s sexuality the way people would roll out their sexuality in life.”

One thing that’s unique about Discovery compared to previous Star Trek series is the show will go deeper into characters’ interpersonal relationships instead of only focusing on their duties. That includes Stamets, who’s in a romantic relationship with another member of the crew. Unlike the fleeting glimpse of Sulu walking off with his presumed partner in last year’s film Star Trek: Beyond, the relationship will be more fully explored.

“I’m really excited and happy when a gay character is a part of a story — especially when a gay character is created in a complex and human and non-stereotypical, interesting way, and that has certainly been the case with Stamets,” Rapp tells us. “And you get to see his relationship. There was a little glimpse in Sulu in Beyond, and it was a nice nod. But in this case, we actually get to see me with my partner in conversation, in our living quarters, you get to see our relationship over time, treated as any other relationship would be treated.”

Stamets’ mushroom research will be key to Starfleet’s conflict with the Klingons, though he isn’t the easiest character to get along with. “He’s a really, really smart guy and as smart guys go, he sometimes can be a little difficult to deal with because not everybody’s as smart as he is,” Rapp says. “So he’s got a little bit of an edge sometimes, which is fun to play.”

Star Trek: Discovery is also the first series in the franchise with a female lead who is black, with Sonequa Martin-Green (The Walking Dead) playing First Officer Michael Burnham (the lead character is not a Captain — which is another first for the franchise).

You can find out a lot more about Star Trek: Discovery in this week’s EW cover story where we go behind-the-scenes of the series with exclusive access to the show’s sets, cast, producers, and executives.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 09/10/17

Star Trek has a rich, established history. But will Discovery adhere to it?

phpBB [media]

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 09/11/17

Tregarde
09/10/17
Star Trek has a rich, established history. But will Discovery adhere to it?
I'll wager 400 Quatloos the answer to that is no.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 09/11/17

I think this will apply to that statement.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Betteridg ... _headlines

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 09/14/17

CBS Won't Allow Any Reviews of Star Trek: Discovery Before It Airs
http://io9.gizmodo.com/cbs-wont-allow-a ... 1809073782

This rarely bodes well.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 09/14/17

"We know this is going to be a disaster, so we're trying our hardest to contain the damage."