Discovery: Star Trek Returns to Television???

All manner of fun stuff!
Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: Discovery: Star Trek Returns to Television???

Post by Psia » 03/07/17

http://trekcore.com/blog/2017/03/jason- ... ain-lorca/
CBS has made yet two more casting announcements today for 2017’s Star Trek: Discovery, and perhaps the biggest name yet attached to the upcoming project.

British actor Jason Isaacs, best known to genre fans as the evil Lucius Malfoy in the Harry Potter films, is “Captain Lorca” – commanding officer of the starship Discovery.

In addition, relative newcomer Mary Wiseman joins the series as “Tilly,” a Starfleet Academy cadet in her final year of schooling, assigned for field studies aboard the Discovery.

As previously reported, series lead Sonequa Martin-Green – not yet officially announced by CBS – will not be a starship captain, making Discovery the first Trek series where a starship captain’s role won’t be the primary focus for storytelling.

That being said, putting an actor of Isaac’s ability in the center seat aboard the USS Discovery – and fellow formidable performer Michelle Yeoh in command of the USS Shenzhou – will certainly bring a great deal of gravitas to the series.
So Isaac's has a solid enough presence to be believable as the starships Captain. But only enough to portray the Captain in a supporting role? Interesting.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/29/17

Another of the fan analysis floating around. Based upon leaked (accidentally/on-purpose) information. I chose a timestamp specific to the topic of Klingons. As I think the poster makes some interesting observations to consider. If correct, it's an original plot point that I'm actually interested in. The story behind the Klingon make-up, uniform and starship design as revealed here.

phpBB [media]
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 03/30/17

Ughhhhh.... this is looking worse all the time. Just... no. Looks like that crap they threw at us in Nemesis.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 03/31/17

Rainn Wilson to Play Intergalactic Criminal Harry Mudd
http://tvline.com/2017/03/31/star-trek- ... ll-access/

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/03/17

Bo Yeon Kim is part of the DIS writing team.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 04/03/17

Er... this is weird. For some unknown reason, they have changed the name of the lead character to First Officer Michael Burnham.

Yes, a woman named Michael. It does happen, but is pretty uncommon. Still, I have to wonder why the change.

http://www.startrek.com/article/sonequa ... -discovery

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 04/04/17

Because it's a cheap writers trick for built in 'comic relief'.
Which grew old the instant I just read that announcement.

I'm giving up on this. They might as well name it something other than Trek and start a new franchise.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/04/17

I'm confused. Why would naming her Michael constitute comic relief? I don't see the connection.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 04/05/17

Visiting admiral walks on the bridge:
"This is my #1, Michael."
/admiral looks to male officer standing nearby.
"No, sir, the woman... over there. You know, the highly qualified one that you overlooked due to your innate misogyny that is the figurative glass ceiling that we put in just to stay in touch with our empowered women viewers and thus prove we're hip and 'get it'"
/admiral makes small "ooooo" movement with mouth and then proceeds to gruffly ignore the matter or apologize, either way proving he just doesn't get women's empowerment.

Works for the 'meeting an unfamiliar alien species' trope as well.

/captain introduces #1 to alien ambassador
"This is my #1, Michael."
/alien ambassador looks confused
"Michael is a male name in your culture. Despite her obviously curvy/scaly/pointy female body. Does this indicate this #1 is a hermaphrodite? How would this facilitate reproduction? Is another partner required, or does Michael subdivide as a single cell organism?"
/captain looks embarrassed while Michael smirks in background, rolling eyes at how her captain/crewmate/herself has to constantly have this type of conversation in EVERY episode until the writers realize that we get it and it was stupid to begin with and hey, maybe we could throw in a cute animal instead... how about... say a beagle! Or a cat! Or hell, let's make #1 a Klingon and give her a Worg!

Comedy and sloppy ass writing galore.

Alternately, we could spin a sad tear jerking backstory of how Michael took her father's first name in honor of him dying giving medical aide to a Tholian during the great Horta/MindControl vomit/pancake creature war that ripped the fabric of space time and caused a temporal rift that caused the Romulan/Earth war... thus rendering the whole thing MUCH more macho and less "glass ceiling/entitlement" for those more... devolved among the audience demographics.

Think about it: This is PRE TOS era. Women are still fighting for equality in Starfleet as evidenced in several episodes. The glass ceiling is still going to be there because despite TOS addressing it already, because canon wise:

Hasn't happened yet.

Capish?

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/05/17

I don't disagree those tropes are lazy writing. I still don't know why you're assuming the Discovery writing team is that lazy out the door? We haven't even seen the show yet.

By the way, here is a list of gender-neutral naming for babies:

https://www.babycenter.com/0_baby-names ... 0309861.bc

Had they named the series lead from any other name from that list would it matter? I would confirm that from the list I share, that name Michael isn't there. But it should be.

I grew up during the mid-1970's watching a family show, called The Waltons. The family matriarch, Olivia Walton, was portrayed by Michael Learned. A highly regarded actress at the time. Her first name, Michael, wasn't holding her back from a promising acting career in the real world. I don't recall anyone telling her that she had to use the Men's Room on set.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 04/08/17

Oh, I remember the Waltons all too well. That was one of the staples on our 13" black and white with the tin foil and coathanger antenna.

Personally, I have no problem with the name. It's the trope I object to.

Why assume? On the principle that where there's smoke, there's fire. And there's a whole hell of a lot of smoke coming from this production thus far. Besides, writers are generally hired by the Herberts - who have shown clearly and utterly that they just don't get Trek.

Perhaps I'm being unfair. I am an opinionated intellectual snob that loves Trek dearly... hey! I just described virtually every fan. Good to know I'm finally part of a social group.

Anyway, time will tell. For all of my blustering I know damn well I'll at least give the first season a go.

Because... you know...

Trek.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/15/17

http://www.cbr.com/michael-dorn-turned- ... very-role/

Michael Dorn, the actor who portrayed Lt. Worf on “Star Trek The Next Generation” for seven seasons and “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” for four seasons, was reportedly offered a role on the upcoming Trek TV series “Star Trek: Discovery.” However, Dorn turned down the role — which would have been an ancestor of his character, Worf — for a very specific reason: The actor was reportedly offered far too little compensation for the appearance.

Issuing a statement to TrekMovie, Matt Palm — a theater critic and arts writer for the Orlando Sentinel — wrote:
  • "I can tell you with 100 percent certainty that Mr. Dorn did not say he was going to be on the new Star Trek show. In fact, he went to great lengths explaining why he would not be on the new show – that there had been interest expressed, but he was not offered enough money. He said they had offered him less than 1 percent of what he made in his last contract as Worf."
Rumors first surfaced when Dorn was misquoted at a panel discussion — titled an “Evening With Michael Dorn,” at the Orland Shakespeare Theater in Florida — by the site Sci-fi Pulse. TrekMovie promptly reached out to Dorn, who shot down the rumors, saying there were only “a couple of conversations with producers last summer.” After a couple weeks, those discussions inevitably fell through, as there are reportedly “no plans for him to appear at this time.”

Dorn previously played an ancestor to Worf in “Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country.” His character, “Colonel Worf,” was the advocate for Kirk and McCoy for their Klingon trial.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 04/17/17

Vulture asked CBS’s Mark DeBevoise when the seemingly troubled Star Trek production would premiere:
http://www.vulture.com/2017/04/cbs-all- ... -trek.html
It’s going great, I’ve actually been up there [to the set]. It is, you know, phenomenal. It is huge. And we’re very excited about the content, the creators, the actors, all coming together. As you said, we’re not tied to any specific release date. It’ll be there when we’re ready to do it, and when we feel it’s in a great place. We’re not worried about anything here. We’re excited, and we’ll have more specifics as we get closer to what will likely be the release dates.
So... any bets it will air at any time during 2017?

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/28/17

Star Trek: Discovery—launching exclusively on CBS All Access—has added more Klingons and Starfleet officers to its ranks.

Shazad Latif (Penny Dreadful) will now star as Lieutenant Tyler, a Starfleet officer in the Federation.

Rekha Sharma (Battlestar Galactica, The 100) will star as Commander Landry, the security officer of the Starship Discovery.

Kenneth Mitchell (Jericho, Astronaut Wives Club, Frequency) will star as Kol, a commanding officer in the Klingon Empire.

Clare McConnell (Dim the Fluorescents) will star as Dennas, a leader in the Klingon Empire.

Damon Runyan (Suits, Supernatural, Gangland Undercover) will star as Ujilli, a leader in the Klingon Empire.
Rekma Sharma is known for her BSG role, Tory Foster. President Roslin's assistant. And one of the Final Five Cylons.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/01/17

http://trekmovie.com/2017/04/24/wga-mem ... r-support/

Writer's Guild of America Members Vote For Strike Authorization – Star Trek Discovery Writer's Voice Their Support
What happens to Discovery if there is a strike?

Production for the first season of Star Trek: Discovery began at the end of January and is still underway with only a few episodes shot so far. The writers have been working hard over the last few weeks in anticipation of a possible strike. Of course all that work would stop next week if the strike happens, however production on the show can continue with any scripts that have been completed. WGA members who are also producers on the show, such as showrunners Aaron Harberts and Gretchen J. Berg could continue to work on Discovery in their capacities as producers, but they would not be allowed to make any changes to scripts.

It is not known how many scripts will be completed by the deadline, but it will not be enough for a complete season. In the case of a prolonged strike, CBS will eventually run out of material to shoot. A lengthy strike (like the 1988 or 2007 strikes) could easily push the premiere for Star Trek: Discovery yet again. The potential looming strike may have been one of the reasons the head of CBS All Access was recently unwilling to commit to a premiere date for the series.

How have past strikes impacted Star Trek?

If the WGA goes on strike, it will not be the first time this has happened during the production Star Trek on TV or film. Back in 1973 the animated Star Trek series actually benefited from a WGA strike because it didn’t apply to animation. Had there not been a general writers strike they may never had been able to attract some of the better writers to pen scrips for a cartoon.

The WGA strike in 1988 lasted five months, which ended up cutting the second season of Star Trek: The Next Generation short, going from the planned 26 episodes to 22. And even with the shorter season, producers were forced to to dust off an unused script from 1970s Phase II project to be re-purposed into the first episode of the season. Luckily for them the characters of Riker and Troi were patterned after Decker and Ilia making “The Child” somewhat easier to tweak into a TNG script. The second season also premiered two weeks late, so to fill the slots Paramount produced a two-hour special The Star Trek Saga: From One Generation To The Next, which was basically a wrapper around the first airing of the original Star Trek pilot, “The Cage.”

Budget over-runs for the second season of TNG, which have been attributed to the strike, are responsible for Paramount severely cutting the budget for the final episode. This resulted in the only clip show for the franchise, the much maligned “Shades of Grey.”

The 1988 strike also occurred during the pre-production of Star Trek V: The Final Frontier and is considered on of the contributing factors for that films poor reception and box office performance.

The last WGA strike lasted three months from late 2007 into early 2008. It began right after the script for the 2009 Star Trek film was completed. Much of the film was shot during the strike which meant last-minute changes could not be made on the set, which director J.J. Abrams lamented did cause him some frustration.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 05/01/17

The writers' strike is a ploy so they can cover up the troubles with Discovery!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/02/17

Tregarde wrote:The writers' strike is a ploy so they can cover up the troubles with Discovery!
Or, they are choosing to take their sweet time. Knowing the strike was pending. It's been rumored for awhile now.

While the earliest pre-production certainly indicates undeniable evidence of not helpful meddling by CBS, the delayed production may be unrelated to that. Apples (CBS meddling) and oranges (ill-timed strike)? A protracted strike could easily doom several productions. Say, a new Will & Grace. Or the recently touted return of Rosanne Barr to television. Let alone Discovery.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 05/02/17

Psia wrote:
Tregarde wrote:The writers' strike is a ploy so they can cover up the troubles with Discovery!
Or, they are choosing to take their sweet time. Knowing the strike was pending. It's been rumored for awhile now...
It was a joke, you silly kitty!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/02/17

I knew that. :P

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 05/17/17

First production photo shows us... Michelle Yeoh and Sonequa Martin-Green looking like they're extras on Star Wars.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/05/17/star-trek-d ... ow_twitter

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 05/17/17

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/17/17

Now it's just ten years before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise? This is a poorly conceived preamble.

When taking prime-timeline canon into account, Spock's career history with Enterprise is far longer than that of Kirk. Enterprise was commissioned in 2245. With Spock aboard as one of Captain Pike's science officer's. Therefore Kirk isn't even worth mentioning. As he is in some Iowa state middle school about that time.

Both points place Discovery in 2235. Which would permit the vague Sarek and Spock flashes to make at least a little bit of sense. Spock would not have been old enough to decide his future at Starfleet Academy.

OR. If the Kirk reference is intended more literally, he didn't command Enterprise until 2265. Placing Discovery into 2255. And Spock is close to his Starfleet graduation and posting to Enterprise under Captain Christopher Pike.

Is it ten years before Kirk or is twenty? The writer's are still confused. At least I know I am.

Moving on.

So they are using the more advanced style of model. Tossing out the McQuarry concept entirely? Taking us back to the old criticism toward the NX-01. Both precursor models looking too advanced over that of Kirk's original Enterprise of the assumed future.

I assume this bridge seen throughout the trailer is the Shenzhou. Not the starship for which the series is named.

I'm curious as to the story of why Captain Georgiou, of the U.S.S. Shenzhou, is handing off Michael to Captain Lorca as a career promotion posting aboard Discovery? Will Discovery not actually appear until the end of the premiere story? Might prove interesting.

Chris Obi as T'Kuvma

While those Klingon's continue to not appear traditional, I'm open to whatever story explains them. What very little I've gleaned is that they may be pre-Empire Klingons. Perhaps even more ancient than the established legend of Kahless the Unforgettable which we are more familiar with. If so, there is room for these Klingons.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/20/17

Flashback!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/29/17

Here is an enlightened item pertaining to the representation within the cast of the new series. A perspective that I simply missed and hadn't considered. Clearly, the casting is hitting positive notes which might well assist in building an audience for the series.

http://www.blastr.com/2017-5-19/star-tr ... helle-yeoh
On Star Trek: Discovery and Michelle Yeoh's accent

When the Star Trek: Discovery trailer was first announced, I almost didn't want to watch it. I'm a lifelong fan of the franchise — I grew up on The Next Generation and Star Treks II–VI and I'd followed every up and down of the development of this series (and there have been too many) with breathless anticipation. There were so many delays that it almost didn't seem real anymore.

But finally, here it was, a bright and shiny trailer that all of a sudden makes this show tangible. I am actually going to see a new Star Trek series on TV.

I finally worked up the nerve to watch it, though I shouldn't have worried about disappointment. The trailer was, quite simply, spectacular, setting the stage for an exciting new series. I could go into the ins and outs, breaking down the trailer and analyzing each and every scene, character and setting — but that's not why I'm writing this.

This article is about one specific moment in the trailer: when Michelle Yeoh's character, Captain Philippa Georgiou, speaks for the first time.

"It's hard to imagine you've served under me for seven years," she tells First Officer Michael Burnham, played by the exquisite Sonequa Martin-Green, as they walk through a searing desert.

This line might seem innocuous, and it is. But that didn't stop me from bursting into tears the second I heard Yeoh deliver the line. Why?

Because Michelle Yeoh kept her accent.

As a young girl of color, Star Trek was the first place I can remember seeing myself represented. Through characters like Uhura, Sulu and Geordi LaForge, I saw people that looked a little like me — that shared the first thing people notice about me, a darker skin color — and for the first time understood that I could achieve anything, even serve on a starship. I, and people who looked like me, existed in this future. It was one of the major forces that shaped my childhood and the adult I have become.

When they began to announce casting for Star Trek: Discovery, the child in me was thrilled. Not only would one of the starship captains be a woman of color, but she was Asian. Not South Asian like I am — Michelle Yeoh is Chinese Malaysian — but it began to feel like Star Trek was finally embracing the global population Starfleet purported to represent. I was excited.

But still, nothing could have prepared me for the moment when Yeoh utters those first words. I don't know why the decision was made to keep Yeoh’s natural accent — if it was something the actress fought for, or it was designed that way, or even if it was a non-issue — but it mattered to me. You may have seen one person’s reaction to Diego Luna’s accent in Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (a touching story that went viral), and this is similar for me. I personally do not speak English with an accent — I have the bland tones of someone born and raised in the Midwest. But my parents, immigrants to this country, speak with an accent, though they've lived here the bulk of their lives.

All of a sudden, it wasn't about me anymore. My parents, who share my love for Star Trek (even if they were somewhat skeptical of my fervor for it as a child), now have a place in this universe. It's hard to put into words what it feels like to watch a thing you so badly want to love and, all of a sudden, being emotionally devastated (in the best way possible) because they included you in such a seemingly effortless way. When you're used to having to fight for every small morsel of representation you get, having it granted without even having to even ask, and in such a thoughtful way, is overwhelming.

The fact is, many people — and many Americans — speak like Michelle Yeoh does, with a bit of an accent. That's okay. We're a multicultural country, and we should celebrate our differences. We're a country of immigrants. In this political climate, it’s so important to remember that. And Star Trek: Discovery is giving us another reminder of what we value. It's the show we need right now.

I still can’t watch the trailer without being overcome with emotion when Michelle Yeoh's character says her first words. I know she's a recurring star, not a series regular, but that’s okay. The fact that she exists in this universe is enough for me.
When this item was brought to Yeoh's attention, she had this to say in response.
Michelle Yeoh via Facebook wrote:it was a conscious effort and important, so thank q ... 💕

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/29/17

However, other corners of the internet weren't so happy with lack of white, male representation in the trailer. Our very own Uncle George had something to say about such criticism.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/geo ... mg00000313
George Takei Dismantles Racist, Sexist Criticism Of ‘Star Trek: Discovery’

CBS released a trailer earlier this month for its upcoming “Star Trek: Discovery,” the first television series in the franchise since “Star Trek: Enterprise” ended in 2005.

The trailer excited many fans, but it also led to a familiar anger, as many people decried the casting of Michelle Yeoh, an Asian woman, as the ship’s captain and Sonequa Martin-Green, a black woman, as the ship’s first officer.

“Enough with your racial and gender quotas Hollywood,” one commenter wrote. Many others wrote similar comments, much of it even more vile.

On Sunday, George Takei, who played the iconic character Hikaru Sulu in the original “Star Trek” series and multiple movies, joined MSNBC’s “AM Joy” to discuss the views of people who believe the Star Trek franchise is being tainted in an attempt to diversify the cast.

On the show, he quickly and swiftly dismantled the criticisms, exposing the critics as ignorant of the intentions of creator Gene Roddenberry.

“Today in this society we have alien life forms that we call trolls,” he said. “And these trolls carry on without knowing what they’re talking about and knowing even less about the history of what they’re talking about.”

“Now these so-called trolls haven’t seen a single episode of the new series, because it hasn’t been aired,” he continued. “And they don’t know the history of Star Trek [either] … [Star Trek creator] Gene Roddenberry created this with the idea of finding strength in our diversity ― and also the delight of life in diversity.”

He then added: “We had a guiding acronym ― IDIC ― which stood for infinite diversity in infinite combinations. We boldly went where we hadn’t gone before because we were curious about what’s out there. And when you go out into space you are going to have even greater diversity.”

During the interview, Takei also compared the ignorance of these “trolls” to the recent actions of President Donald Trump, whom he described as “ignorant” when it comes to issues of Japanese internment, which affected Takei’s family during WWII.
phpBB [media]