Discovery: Star Trek Returns to Television???

All manner of fun stuff!
Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Re: Discovery: Star Trek Returns to Television???

Post by Tregarde » 09/20/17

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/20/17

phpBB [media]
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/20/17

Today via social media:
David Gerrold, writer of The Trouble with Tribbles wrote:CBS did not invite me to the Tuesday night premiere of Star Trek Discovery.

I'm disappointed and annoyed. CBS has never hesitated to ask me for favors in the past. And I've always said yes. But I guess they forgot about me this time.

It was probably the usual corporate oversight.

But after all is said and done ... it confirms something I've been feeling for a while. As much as I loved the show, as important as it has been in my life, Star Trek is a door that is now closing behind me.

Thanks for the ride, guys, but I'm getting off here.

I have other things to do — I am opening more important doors in front of me.
Also posted today:
Star Trek Continues, Web-based Fan Films wrote:Thank you CBS for the invitation to the Discovery premiere. It was an amazing night -- Michele and Vic made a new friend! How are you celebrating the premiere this Sunday night? Are you hosting a viewing party?
I'm befuddled by how CBS handled those invitations. The maker, Vic Mignona, of the one Trek fan series untouched by the limited guidelines was invited. But a legendary and available writer of Star Trek wasn't asked to contribute. Nor was he invited to the party.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/22/17

Two more days to see if the proof is in the pudding or not.

In the meantime, WIRED posted an interesting analysis about the CBS decision to stream the program. It's not light reading. I'll post the opening and then you can follow the link to read the rest.
WITH STAR TREK: DISCOVERY, CBS DISCOVERS THAT TV AIN'T EASY ANYMORE

TELEVISION: THE FINAL frontier. These are the voyages of the legacy broadcast network CBS. Its apparently never-ending mission: to explore strange new revamps of old shows, to seek out fully integrated distribution models and new revenue streams. To boldly go where, to be honest, a few other networks with studios and a couple powerful streaming video on demand services have already gone before. SHWOOOOM!
https://www.wired.com/story/star-trek-d ... -business/

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/24/17

Less than twelve hours to go. I'm attending a viewing party with some friends. Guess we shall see?

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/24/17

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 09/25/17

Saw the premier episodes. It was... okay. There is potential, but the start was full of things happening out of convenience. The script could have used quite a bit of polish. And they need to hire a new camera man, or the director needs to reign in the weird angles. Either way, too many weird camera angles!

I'm still not sold on the 'adopted daughter of Sarek' angle. Still hate the new Klingon costumes. It definitely looks like we saw the start of

Spoilers:

, but that's not really a surprise considering when this happens.

And...

Spoilers:

I'll keep watching it for a bit and see how it develops. Not hooked yet, but I am curious.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/25/17

At the end of all post-TOS premiere episodes - as I wasn't born when TOS was new - I usually found myself smiling widely. Being completely satisfied with my new Star Trek experience. A sense of satisfaction with completion of one story. Looking forward to weeks to come. For the first time in my Trek fandom, my initial reaction to Discovery was, Meh.

I have to factor in the hallmarks of modern television. It's even more about the ads than it has ever been. I'm not even sure the first episode hit the 40 minute mark out of the 60 minute block allotted for the broadcast? Which really chafed my ass. Not even a 90 minute premiere on CBS. Add to this that the ongoing story arc - which was teased from the start - has been followed to the extreme.

That's It?!?!

Good grief. They chopped the damned thing in half. It didn't end on any style of cliffhanger that I've experienced. It was a commercial break. I never got to see the whole premiere at all. I'd even go so far as to say the end felt like a power blackout had suddenly struck. Leaving me without a conclusion to my evening's entertainment. I was terribly disappointed in there being not one thread of resolve by the end of the first episode.

Which confirmed what some were concerned about for several months. Which I was clearly in personal denial of. Episode One of Star Trek Discovery was specifically designed to lure subscribers to All-Access. Period. Nothing more. Nothing less. That was the whole point.

No. I will not be subscribing to CBS All-Access. As it stands, it may be weeks to months before I view another new episode of Discovery. Assuming I bother. Which makes me so very sad.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Psia wrote:
09/25/17
No. I will not be subscribing to CBS All-Access. As it stands, it may be weeks to months before I view another new episode of Discovery. Assuming I bother. Which makes me so very sad.
I don't have a subscription either, but with the internet, there are ways. I'll keep posting impressions (as I'm sure others will) so you can decide if you want to use those ways to watch Discovery. Or maybe you won't be missing much. Only time will tell.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

I just figured out what has been bugging me since the first episode... WHY WOULD THE MOST EFFECTIVE METHOD OF DEALING WITH KLINGONS BE A SECRET???

It makes NO SENSE. It should be there in the first chapter of Intergalactic Politics & Relations: Klingons of the Star Fleet Manual. It's not something that should be a surprise to a ship's captain, especially one who is near Klingon space! It's the sort of information that can prevent wars!

Seriously, this is outright negligence. I'd love to hear a perfectly reasoned, LOGICAL explanation for keeping Star Fleet in the dark about this, because I sure can't think of one.

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Slipps » 09/25/17

The structure of the Klingons was not as bothersome as their lack of tonal quality in their skin. Coal, or chalk, in flat quality, making them visially very two dimensional. Also not so sure about their speech making them sound like they are always blowing nose bubbles. Guttural is not defined as severe sinus infection.

Sarak called Michael his ward, not his daughter, which is a very different thing from what kept being hyped. Granted being that close to her, mentally, could put her at a different level, personally. Ward, though, would satisfy the lack of Spock stating he had a sister in the current canon. So would if she dies before the ten years is up and he starts roaming the galaxy with Kirk.

Shoot first, talk later? Not sure that would have worked here, but I guess straws had to be reached for to explain Michael's mental breakdown. Though why they could not have just used PTSD, or radiation poisoning, both much more obvious reasons, and workable.

Love that her name is Michael.

And seriously, people, why is the command structure going on away missions by themselves???

Overall, did I enjoy it? Actually, yes, so far. This promises to be a grittier Star Trek, that delves more into the core of what makes these people who they are, and why. Though that one helmsman needed less hairspray, how did she stay so perfect looking?

I do have CBS All Access already, there are other shows they have that I like to watch, so this should stay on the radar for a bit until it gets rote and trite.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 09/25/17

Watched the first two last night. No, I don't have All Access, and I'm NOT going to get it. Psia (and others before her as she points out) are correct- the first half (hell, the whole thing) is nothing more than a shameless cash grab/ad for CBS.

Speaking of the ads... WTF? I'm sure there was a show in there somewhere, but it was difficult to tell- or get any immersion when every 8 minutes there was a 5 minute plus ad break. Pitiful.

Let's talk about the ending of Episode 1... specifically about it not having one. Again, Psia is right, this was not the end of episode, it was a jump cut to commercial. Or, to be correct, away from commercial. I seriously didn't realize they had cut back to the show until it was over. I thought I was watching the 'in the next episode'. Uh... nope. 30 seconds and cut to black- too bad, so sad you can't see part 2/episode 2 unless you TUNE IN ON YOUR ROKU PLAYER NOW!~ /pant pant pant

Yeah. Less than 5 minutes later and those 'other options' Tregarde mentions came into play. And will continue to come into play from here on out, provided I make it past E5. I was as impressed with the second half as I was the first. Which, as Psia said... was basically "Meh".

And that really sums up the whole take away: "Meh"

The.... sigh... Klingons.

Or, reptilian overlords in modified makeup and costume castoffs revived from the Romulans in Abram's first reboot film... gag. Really, I just... HATE... everything about them and where this is going. The look, the sound... (seriously- with all the goddamn Trekkers out there, many talented actors and voice artists, you couldn't get ONE who could SPEAK KLINGONESE CORRECTLY?) the set... the story...

And the way overstated pasted on SJW message of white Klingons being subjugated by black Klingons.
KLINGON LIVES MATTER!

Wow... yeah... really identified with the albino whose name I couldn't remember if you offered to make me captain of the next series- being belittled by the blackest of black Klingon in the show.

I really had a "wow, my race subjugated others for hundreds of years and I can totally identify, because I'm watching this... so deep!" moment. Thanks, CBS. My social conscience was totally sleeping until I saw this.

GAG. Subtle much, guys? It could have stood on its own, unspoken, or actually worked into an arc, instead of being crassly shoved down our throats. Exactly whom do you think you're targeting here, execs? Trekkers have been some of the most socially conscious people, always at the forefront of equality. Try targeting the FOX audience- they could use some sensitivity training.

Sarek/Michael... way too Deus Ex Machina for my tastes. Especially the security cell scene. Although I did enjoy watching Michael out-logic the ship computer. One of the few moments that stood out.

Speaking of things standing out...

Why was Daft Punk on the bridge of the Shenzou? 'Splain, plz.

So yeah. Not impressed. Not as abysmal as I was expecting, but fairly close. We'll see where they go with it. I generally give 5 episodes or so (when feeling generous) for any new show before it either joins rotation or gets relegated to crap-ville.

Ironically, everything that Discovery gets wrong- Orville gets RIGHT. Orville (when Seth keeps it serious) hits all the right notes; and it FEELS like Trek in a way that I fear Discovery just... never... will.

Honestly, I'm more hopeful for Orville than I am Discovery. If Seth cans most of the dumbshit humor of his character and plays it straight... (hoping for some growth during the arc, I get that things are deliberately out of joint now) then Orville could out Trek- Trek.

At which I am both horrified and joyful.

Rather like watching a Christmas Tree burn.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/25/17

1. The fan production must be less than 15 minutes for a single self-contained story, or no more than 2 segments, episodes or parts, not to exceed 30 minutes total, with no additional seasons, episodes, parts, sequels or remakes.

I'm gonna look around at the reviews. See if anyone calculated the actual running time. It occurred to me tonight that episode one was barely longer than the 15 to 30 minute limit given to fans for making fan films. :P Prelude to Axanar did more than Discovery did in twenty minutes.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 09/25/17

Running times, commercials removed.
Times include opening sequence(s) and credits as noted below.

Episode 1: Has opening sequence, no credits.
Episode 2: No opening sequence, has credits.

Episode 1: 41 min, 47 sec
Episode 2: 40 min, 33 sec

Opening sequence time: 1 min, 75 sec (approximate)
Ending credits (includes 'this season on'): 3 min (approximate)
Ending credits (subtracting 'this season on'): 1 min, 3 sec (approximate)

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/25/17

Thanks, Scratch! Fascinating.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 09/25/17

White Klingons oppressed by black Klingons? Seriously? You lost me right there.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 09/26/17

If You're Outside the US, You Can Watch Star Trek: Discovery in Klingon (Sort of)
https://io9.gizmodo.com/if-youre-outsid ... 1818732487

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/26/17

David Gerrold wrote:The Star Trek I want to watch is about exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life and new civilizations, going boldly where no one has gone before.

I've seen enough Klingons and Vulcans. I've seen enough space battles. I've seen enough of that. I want to see something else now.

There are other stories to tell. Honest.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 09/26/17

Wow. Strong words from him.

And... completely apt. Took the words out of my mouth.

Cassidhe
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Cassidhe » 09/26/17

I loved both episode 1 and 2, but I am working on the emotion that comes from having been a fan since a child (during TOS). I know there are flaws, and there were things I didn't much like (Sarek's long-distance mind meld, really???). I'm also not sure on why a Kelpian, whose entire existence is based on "fight or flight" would join Starfleet - wouldn't he live in constant fear? How effective would that be?

Overall though, it felt more like Trek than any of the new-verse movies have felt. And for that alone, I'll be watching the rest.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/26/17

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/09/ ... ted-a-lot/

FILE SHARING —
Star Trek: Discovery is getting pirated a lot
The first two episodes of Discovery are both among the 20 most pirated TV shows.

Almost 10 million people tuned in to CBS on Sunday to watch the premiere of Star Trek: Discovery. And the premiere also drove record signups for CBS' proprietary streaming service, which will be the exclusive source for later episodes of the new Star Trek series.

But others have turned to good old-fashioned Internet piracy to get their Star Trek fix.

The premiere of Star Trek: Discovery is the twelfth most actively pirated show among users of the Pirate Bay right now, according to the Pirate Bay's list of most downloaded videos. Discovery's second episode isn't far behind, at number 19.

The list is dominated by episodes of Game of Thrones, which has been the Internet's most pirated show several years in a row, along with Rick and Morty.

While the premiere of Discovery was broadcast on CBS' free over-the-air network, later episodes in the first season will be offered exclusively on CBS' streaming video service. CBS hopes this will help the network build CBS All Access into a top-tier streaming service. But there's a risk that it will simply encourage more people to pirate CBS' flagship show—especially since some users who signed up for the service have been reporting reliability problems on social media.

Star Trek has long been popular among the file-sharing crowd. The 2009 Star Trek movie was that year's most pirated movie.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 09/27/17

Yeah, called that way back. How they thought they were going to avoid it is beyond me. Putting it on All Access was tantamount to begging people to torrent.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/27/17

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/29/17

Recall that with TOS, we had two pilot episodes. Retooling and recasting took place between them. The first one, The Cage, never was broadcast in its entirety until almost twenty years later. Without that retooling and recasting we would never have met Captain James T. Kirk.

Still having not seen the second half of the Discovery premiere episode, I watched this trailer and now know that we still don't see the series namesake until the third episode? This is what the previous interviews mean by our second pilot episode. Within a week of the first one. IMO, a very odd approach which just doesn't grab me.

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/02/17

Episode 3 was better, a little, but still filled with contrivances. But now that they've set the stage and got the introductions out of the way, hopefully the story will pick up. At least there wasn't the annoying camera angles and lens flare this time. Also, it seems very likely one of the Discovery crew is on the autism spectrum.