Discovery: Star Trek Returns to Television???

All manner of fun stuff!
Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Re: It's Official: Star Trek Returns to Television in 2017

Post by Scrattch » 05/05/16

Lyah wrote:Meh, it's all going to be all over Bit Torrent, no matter what they choose to do. Dummies.
This. Soooo much this.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 05/18/16

And here's the first teaser which tells us... well, absolutely nothing!

phpBB [media]

The lack of information isn't surprising since they haven't even started filming yet.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/19/16

Actually. This does glean some interesting information. The suggestions of an anthology series look more and more likely to me.

There is rumor running around that since his show, Castle, has been recently cancelled, that Nathan Fillion may be cast as a Captain in this new Star Trek. I'd go so far as to say that such a thing is possible due to the anthology format. CBS could line up just enough short story arcs in one season to warrant several starship crews. From a Klingon crew (Tony Todd's casting) to anyone else.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: Discovery: Star Trek Returns to Television in 2017

Post by Psia » 07/23/16

The official title is now Star Trek: Discovery. Which is a starship design with some interesting history behind it. I've updated our subject header to reflect the new information.
Edited to add the HD trailer that Startrek.com posted.

phpBB [media]

And the name of the newest Star Trek television series is... Star Trek: Discovery, with the show's main ship called the U.S.S. Discovery (NCC-1031). Executive Producer Bryan Fuller revealed the details and debuted the logo today during a standing-room-only “Star Trek 50th Anniversary” panel in Hall H at San Diego Comic-Con.
Fuller -- who in the early morning served fans in line donuts and coffee -- treated Hall H attendees to an exclusive first look video of the test flight of the U.S.S. Discovery, the newest Starfleet ship in the storied franchise’s return to television.

"It's an incredible honor to have shared the stage with these representatives of all the Star Trek series that have ever been," Bryan Fuller told StarTrek.com. "And it's also an honor to have them be the launching pad for for a new series that has something we all relate to in Star Trek mythology, which is discovery."
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/23/16

What I've discerned just from that short trailer.

NCC-1031 is a registry which suggests a starship built after the founding of the United Federation of Planets. So post-Enterprise series. And pre-The Original Series. As Kirk's Enterprise was NCC-1701. Although her sister ship, the USS Constellation, sported a registry of NCC-1017. So I could be way off base on this point.

The starship design lineage is based squarely upon concept art created during the mid 1970's by Ralph McQuarry. For a screenplay entitled, Planet of the Titans. Had that film gone forward this is the designed for the starship Enterprise. The art style was so extremely different that one could hardly have expected any sort of continuity with the original television series. Save for our main characters being the same ones.

https://io9.gizmodo.com/5721854/ralph-m ... 1976-1977/

https://www.galacticempire.org/2011/05/ ... itans.html

During 2011, a digital artist was inspired by the concept art and rendered his own version. Using more touchstone elements within his design. This is one I've been a fan of for a long time.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/24/16

Psia wrote:NCC-1031 is a registry which suggests a starship built after the founding of the United Federation of Planets... ~snip~
I wouldn't read too much into the number. Hard logic has never been Star Trek's strong point. Plus everyone's been saying the new series takes place some time between the original cast movies and TNG.

I am curious about the Discovery. I like the design. But it feels like a blend of Federation and Klingon designs, plus the music has some Klingony aspects.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/24/16

I'm just happy that video is called a test flight. Made for the SD Comicon. A teaser. I wouldn't call that the finished product. It's just odd that StarTrek.com ran with it immediately. Put it on the Youtube page, sure. But it wasn't worthy of a front page website item.

The only further confirmation is that the series will take place in the prime timeline. Not the kelvin timeline of Trek movies 11 through 13.
Tregarde wrote:I am curious about the Discovery. I like the design. But it feels like a blend of Federation and Klingon designs, plus the music has some Klingony aspects.
Well. Let's assume the IP holder saw this 20 minute fan film. About the first war between the Federation and the Klingon Empire. And in this fan film - which fans responded well to for the most part - suggested that Starfleet needed to build a warship to signal to the Empire that they are capable of defending themselves. And that you launched said starship with the intention of sending it on those same Klingons to prove your point. Instead of making a movie inspired by the fan film popularity, you decide to devote at least one entire television season to telling that full story? Would the music make more sense then?

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 07/24/16

Errr... YUCK.
The graphic artist's depiction I could get behind. Not what I see in the vid there.
Hoping for a re-design.

And they rushed to release it because they're flailing desperately to build positive buzz.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 07/24/16

Scrattch wrote:Errr... YUCK.
The graphic artist's depiction I could get behind. Not what I see in the vid there.
Hoping for a re-design.

And they rushed to release it because they're flailing desperately to build positive buzz.
Seconded. It looks like a cut-scene from a video game in the 2000's. Utter crap. No wonder they're so keen on suing Axanar.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/25/16

As is the case with most Star Trek productions, there are many productions sketches for sets, props, and starships before the final selections are locked and the production actually begins filming. Traditionally, fans only saw the concepts that were offered and passed upon well after the production is live or, in most cases, after the production has ended. For example, it took more than 20 years to see the concepts for the starship Enterprise as seen in the original television series. One design had a sphere in the front instead of the saucer shape most people are accustomed to. After some thought and reading online here and yonder, I've come to the conclusion that the Comicon teaser is a modern approach to using concept art. This suggests that we are simply seeing the first of several concepts being considered. But not yet settled upon for the series production.

I've learned that the McQuarrie concept art isn't even owned by CBS. Reading between the lines, I assumed the production art is owned by Paramount. Which we must further assume means more of that legal chasm between film and television property that Trek has been stuck with in recent years. Assuming they (CBS) sort out legal access to the drawings any final presentation needn't look exactly like what we saw this weekend.

More on the McQuarrie design history.
phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/28/16

https://trekcore.com/blog/2016/07/cbs-s ... roduction/
In today’s second-quarter CBS Corporation earnings call, CEO Les Moonves spoke to the current status of their CBS All Access streaming platform, the United States’ exclusive home of next year’s STAR TREK: DISCOVERY series.
  • "Our CBS All Access and Showtime OTT streaming services have surpassed two million subscribers, about evenly split, well ahead of where we’d thought we’d be this early in the game.

We’ve licensed our ‘Star Trek’ franchise in the international marketplace, guaranteeing our new series will be profitable even before it launches and begins driving [subscriptions] here in the US on CBS All Access."
Moonves previously predicted that international sales of DISCOVERY would cover about 60% of the production costs of the new series, and as reported a few weeks ago, STAR TREK: DISCOVERY will be distributed via Netflix to 188 countries – not counting either the USA or Canada.

It seems that his prediction has come true, as Moonves revealed today that the new series is already profitable, ahead of either production or premiere.
  • "We also struck a significant international deal with Netflix for ‘Star Trek,’ licensing our new series ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ to 188 Netflix countries around the world – virtually everywhere but North America.

In addition, we licensed all 727 previous episodes of our ‘Star Trek’ library. Plus, we struck a similar deal with Bell Media for Canada.
    As a result, ‘Star Trek: Discovery,’ our new series, is profitable – and we haven’t even begun production.

We still have additional windows to sell the show in second and third cycles down the road. It’s also safe to say that ‘Star Trek’ will lead to a significant bump in subscribers for CBS All Access here in the US.:
Joe Ianniello, CBS’s Chief Operating Officer, spoke to the choice to license DISCOVERY to one international outlet – Netflix – rather than dozens of local distributors in different countries.
  • "We looked at the marketplace and decided what was best for the franchise. Netflix obviously had the previous seasons before… it was one [licensing] deal as opposed to executing a hundred different deals in different countries – and by the way, it was a lot of money in US dollars.

So when you summed it all up, it just kind of made sense."
Moonves expanded on those comments, with both Netflix’s success with Trek – and hints toward a yet-unofficial longevity for the new show.
  • "The reason the Netflix buy was so healthy [is because Netflix] has already seen what ‘Star Trek’ is doing on their service. From day one, it performed extraordinarily well. That is one of the reason we decided to put it on All Access, obviously, to help build our own [subscriptions].

Going forward, obviously, we’re doing thirteen episodes initially with ‘Star Trek,’ we are fairly certain – although we haven’t done one day of production – that the series is gonna go on for a while.

We have spin-offs of spin-offs, you know? It’s a very, very valuable franchise that can turn into hundreds of millions of dollars in revenue for us.

Despite the availability of the new show through Netflix around the world, it’s safe to say that there is still widespread apprehension from American fans about the need to subscribe to yet another streaming platform; Moonves has previously stated that a significant marketing push will begin as 2017 approaches."
We’ll continue to pay attention to the development of CBS All Access as it becomes available.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 08/03/16

Maybe I'm wrong. Bryan Fuller told Ain’t It Cool News that there’s already one major clue to discerning when the new show is set in Star Trek’s prime timeline: the Discovery’s registration number.

" There’s a big clue in the number of the ship [NCC-1031] that indicates when we’re set. "

https://www.aintitcool.com/node/75876

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 08/03/16

Part of me hopes that we are both wrong. I don't want CBS devoting a whole season of chapters to the first Klingon-Federation War. Culminating at the Battle Of Axanar. I'd rather they just didn't do that. When they could have simply bought the Axanar concept and used the Ares class.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 08/03/16

If they follow the registry protocols set down a dog's age ago in the TOS Technical Manual and the FASA Ship Recognition Handbook (Friendly Powers):

It's spotty, but we have the USS Constellation (Matt Deckard's ship, one of the earliest Constitution class starships, although we have to ignore the discrepancy that the USS Constitution (ostensibly the first of it's class has the registry of NCC 1700... and the Constellation, which would have been built after)) at NCC-1017. This is 2160ish?

We have the original USS Enterprise at NCC-1701 under April in 2245.

Figure the USS Discovery is built somewhere in-between, closer to 2164.

So this would be:

Roughly 2164 to 2260.

So what's happening during that 96 (ah, hell, call it 100) years?

Well, according to Memory Alpha, this puts us at the early formation and expansion of the newly formed Federation- after the events in ENT but before/concurrent with TOS, if they run it that way. It's a virtual blank spot in Federation history, the start of the "5-Year-Yoyage" program that led to our conflict with:

*sigh*

The Klingons.

Gee, isn't there another Star Trek something or other I was hearing about recently set during *exactly* this time?
Damn it, what *was* that called?

Oh, yeah...

Axanar.

//caveat: The ship registry is really freaking spotty. They could just as easily ignore it completely, considering that the Discovery is not a Constitution class ship, I was merely using that model to pinpoint the timeframe. In short, they can do what they damn well please, really.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 08/10/16

https://trekcore.com/blog/2016/08/bryan ... y-details/
TrekCore wrote:The lead character will be female Lt. Commander in Starfleet – and human – not the captain of a starship. The rank comes “with caveats,” Fuller detailed cryptically.

Fuller elaborated on the choice to not center the show about yet another captain:
  • Fuller wrote:The story that is fascinating for me is, we’ve seen six series from captain’s points of view… to see different characters from different perspectives, we thought it would give us different contexts.

A different dynamic and relationship to the crew. For [her] to truly understand something alien, she has to understand herself, [and her journey will] teach her how to get along with others in the galaxy.
    We haven’t cast her yet, so we don’t know what level of diversity she will be.
As for you timeline targeters, the show will be set approximately ten years before James T. Kirk takes command of the Enterprise, in the Prime timeline.

Says Fuller, the show will launch from an event that has talked about in the Original Series, but never fully explored. He did specifically state that the Kobayashi Maru, the Battle of Axanar (plus the Earth-Romulan War, from the 2150’s) are not the events to which he was hinting.
  • Fuller wrote:We’re much closer to Kirk’s universe [than that of Archer’s], so we get to play with all of that [TOS-era] iconography of those ships and those uniforms.
In terms of other casting, Fuller stayed mum on if the captain of the USS Discovery will be portrayed by a male or female actor, but did say to expect both “robots” and “a few more aliens than usual” in the lead characters – including some “reimagining of existing alien [species]” – and he confirmed the show will “absolutely” have a gay character.

In addition, Fuller hinted that the character of Amanda Grayson – Spock’s mother – “maybe” will factor into DISCOVERY at some point; he also said that “it’s not impossible” that Section 31 may come into play. The producer would not elaborate further on either point.
Hmmm. Ten years before Kirk's 5-year mission? That places it within the timeframe of Enterprise's mission under Captain Christopher Pike. That was when Pike and crew first visited Talos IV. Assuming the hero ship is not Enterprise, it would still be right for the character of Number One. Who held the rank of Lieutenant as well as the position of Pike's first officer during The Cage pilot. Promote and reassign her. Recasting her would be interesting if that is the course.

For a historical footnote to base things around? If not the Battle of Axanar, then I choose the Battle of Donatu V. An event without an absolute year attached to it. But preceding the 5-year mission of Enterprise with Kirk.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 08/10/16

More aliens. Female lead. Gay character. More sex...
Count me interested!

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 08/10/16

Hah! I was right.

And for the first time, I'm starting to be mildly interested. Hmm.

Also, a lot of what is/has happened to Axanar makes a whoooole lot of sense. They trod too close to the next/current iteraton's timeline for comfort.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 09/03/16

https://www.themarysue.com/star-trek-discovery-mission/

Star Trek: Discovery Writers Discuss the Title, the Timeline, and the Launch of Accompanying Books & Comics

At the Mission New York Star Trek Convention this afternoon, Kirsten Beyer and Nicholas Meyer, who are two of Star Trek: Discovery’s writers, appeared on a panel to describe a few more upcoming details about the show. They remained predictably tight-lipped about any big plot-related reveals, but they did share some other details about the planning behind the show.

First of all, the panel provided an opportunity for the creative team to explain the show’s title; Discovery is named after the spaceship in the show, and that name had a lot of thought put into it. Beyer and Meyer brought a video with them to the panel that included a quote from Star Trek: Discovery showrunner Bryan Fuller, who explained (via io9),
“This ship is called the Discovery for a few reasons. Not the least of which is Stanley Kubrick’s contribution to the Discovery on 2001: A Space Odyssey, NASA’s vessel the Discovery, and also the sense of discovery …

[The title also is about] what the word ‘discovery’ means to Star Trek audiences who have been promised a future by Gene Roddenberry where we come together as a planet and seek new worlds and new alien races to explore and understand and collaborate with.”
Fuller also elaborated in the video on why he had chosen not to have Discovery‘s story revolve around the ship’s captain: “There have been six series all from the captains’ perspective, and it felt like for this new iteration of Star Trek, we need to look at life on a Starfleet vessel from a new perspective.”

During the panel, Nicholas Meyer explained why Fuller had chosen to set the timeline of Star Trek: Discovery before Star Trek: The Original Series. According to Inverse‘s summary of the panel, Meyer said, “[Fuller] found a space in the original chronology where there was room to maneuver,” then elaborated that when writers are working within a pre-existing franchise like Star Trek, “you always are looking for gaps in the chronology.”

Kirsten Beyer emphasized that the show will do its best to “honor the integrity [of the original Star Trek] without looking silly,” which does sound difficult, given that The Original Series was based on a vision of the future according to the 1960s. Meyer added, “all art is the product of the time it was made in. No matter how futuristic we are, we’ll look dated in 10 years.”

Meyer went on to tell fans to keep an open mind about the show, and also, not to set their standards too high when it comes to what a Star Trek TV show might be like now: “Lower your expectations … It is a symbiotic relationship, and all I’m suggesting is that if you go with open minds and open hearts, you may be rewarded. Whereas if you go with a set of impossible-to-realize expectations, which even you cannot specifically define, then we’re bound to fail. And so I’m saying: Get loose.”

Last but not least, Beyer and Meyer announced that CBS would be working with IDW Publishing and Simon & Schuster to release a series of comic books and a series of novels that tie into the Star Trek: Discovery world. Those publications are on track to come out concurrently with the show, which is slated to air in January 2017.

Keep your expectations as low as you can … while also being super excited, because dang, this sounds cool, right??

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 09/14/16

Discovery premier date pushed back to May...
“Bringing Star Trek back to television carries a responsibility and mission: to connect fans and newcomers alike to the series that has fed our imaginations since childhood. We aim to dream big and deliver, and that means making sure the demands of physical and post-production for a show that takes place entirely in space, and the need to meet an air date, don’t result in compromised quality. Before heading into production, we evaluated these realities with our partners at CBS and they agreed: Star Trek deserves the very best, and these extra few months will help us achieve a vision we can all be proud of.”
https://deadline.com/2016/09/star-trek- ... 201819639/

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/14/16

I'll be curious just how much clearance this gives the new series from the discovery phase of the Axanar lawsuit?

I do think the producers request is reasonable. They simply want more time to get things into place. And, IMO, without having the added pressure of following the lackluster 50th anniversary so soon.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/20/16

https://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/star-tr ... ver-ranked

Every Bryan Fuller Star Trek Episode Ever, Ranked
Between Deep Space Nine and Voyager, Fuller was a writer or co-writer on a total of 23 episodes.
Fuller is not just the creator of critically-acclaimed shows Hannibal, Pushing Daisies, Dead Like Me, and Wonderfalls, he’s also a lifelong Trek fan who broke into the industry by selling two spec scripts to Deep Space Nine. He was then hired onto the staff of Voyager, serving as story editor, then executive story editor, and finally co-producer. Between Deep Space Nine and Voyager, Fuller was a writer or co-writer on a total of 23 episodes.

Television writing is hugely collaborative, so Fuller can't be credited with everything awesome in his two dozen episodes — nor blamed for everything bad. Nevertheless, we're taking a look back at his history with the Star Trek franchise, from worst to best, to get a sense of what kind of Star Trek storyteller he is.

So, yeah, it starts out a bit grim. Hang in there, Bryan...

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 10/26/16

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/bryan-f ... 201901398/

Bryan Fuller is stepping back from the showrunner role of CBS’ “Star Trek: Discovery” as he juggles production responsibilities on two other series, Variety has learned exclusively.

The decision was made late last week to hand the day-to-day showrunning reins to “Star Trek” exec producers Gretchen Berg and Aaron Harberts as “Discovery” gears up for the start of filming next month and a May 2017 premiere date. Fuller, who will remain an executive producer, will still be involved in breaking stories, and the show will continue to follow his vision for the universe that this latest “Trek” series will inhabit. Writer-director Akiva Goldsman is also expected to join “Discovery” in a top creative role. He’s envisioned as serving as producing support for Berg and Harberts, Fuller and exec producer Alex Kurtzman as they juggle the demands of the series that CBS is counting on to be the marquee selling point for subscriptions to its CBS All Access SVOD service.

Sources said there had been some strain between “Star Trek” producer CBS Television Studios and Fuller over the progress of production on the show, as Fuller is also juggling the final weeks of shooting and post-production duties on Starz’s upcoming drama “American Gods” and prepping a reboot of “Amazing Stories” for NBC. Fuller has penned the first two scripts for “Discovery” and has hammered out the broader story arc and mythology for the new “Trek” realm. But it became clear that he couldn’t devote the amount of time needed for “Discovery” to make its premiere date and with production scheduled to start in Toronto next month. In September, CBS pushed the “Discovery” premiere back from January to May in order to give the team more time to work out stories and ensure sufficient time for production of visual effects.

Berg and Harberts are close with Fuller, having worked with him previously on ABC’s “Pushing Daisies.” Goldsman, a feature vet who was also a consulting producer on Fox’s “Fringe” with Kurtzman, is also close with Fuller. The new structure was worked out quickly over the weekend in an effort to allow Fuller to remain actively involved albeit not on the day-to-day production level as originally envisioned. There’s also some internal stress at the studio that the lead character, described by Fuller as a female lieutenant commander, has yet to be cast.

Sources emphasized that CBS execs have been happy with the material that Fuller has developed to date but became increasingly concerned that he had too much on his plate and there was no willingness to delay the premiere date once more. Given that “Star Trek” is one of the Eye’s crown-jewel franchises, there’s no question that CBS has a lot at stake with “Discovery.” The show’s budget is said to be approaching the $6-7 million per episode range.

“We are extremely happy with the creative direction of ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ and the strong foundation that Bryan Fuller has helped us create for the series,” said CBS Television Studios in a statement. “Due to Bryan’s other projects, he is no longer able to oversee the day-to-day of ‘Star Trek,’ but he remains an executive producer, and will continue to map out the story arc for the entire season…Bryan is a brilliant creative talent and passionate ‘Star Trek’ fan, who has helped us chart an exciting course for the series. We are all committed to seeing this vision through and look forward to premiering ‘Star Trek: Discovery’ this coming May 2017.”

The news that Fuller would be the showrunner of “Discovery,” alongside Kurtzman, was met with a positive reception among fans of the series, given his background as a writer for “Star Trek: Voyager” and “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine.” Fuller enthusiastically led a panel at the summer’s TV critics press tour as well as Comic-Con, where he teased details about the series, including that there would be an LGBT character in the cast of the new show.

Fuller had also confirmed during the press tour session that the lead character of “Discovery” would be a woman. Although no casting has been announced, sources say most of the other roles on the show have been filled. The lead character has proven a far tougher assignment.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 10/27/16

Sounds like Fuller is pretty busy. As long as he has a good crew, this shouldn't effect the show much.

But six to seven million per episode? Yikes!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 10/27/16

So enough money for a full season. But condensing the budget into fewer episodes. It better look damned good. And the writer's better be worth that money.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 10/27/16

To quote another franchise entirely:

"I have a baaaad feeling about this."