SOLO: A Star Wars Story

All manner of fun stuff!
Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

SOLO: A Star Wars Story

Post by Psia » 01/11/17

Han Solo: A Star Wars Story. What we know so far. I will adjust the film title should a more specific one be announced.

ALDEN EHRENREICH IS HAN SOLO

Today at Star Wars Celebration Europe, Alden Ehrenreich was introduced to fans for the first time as Han Solo, the new star of the untitled Han Solo Star Wars Story at the Future Filmmaker panel. The panel featured Lucasfilm’s Kathleen Kennedy (producer) and Kiri Hart (senior vice president of Development), who were joined by director Rian Johnson (Star Wars: Episode VIII) and directing duo Chris Miller and Phil Lord (the untitled Han Solo Star Wars Story). Hosted by Lucasfilm Story Group’s Pablo Hidalgo, the filmmakers were joined by surprise guests John Boyega (Finn), Mark Hamill (Luke Skywalker), and Carrie Fisher (General Leia Organa) from Star Wars: Episode VIII.
DONALD GLOVER CAST AS YOUNG LANDO CALRISSIAN IN UPCOMING HAN SOLO STAR WARS STAND-ALONE FILM

Hello, what have we here?

Donald Glover

Lucasfilm announced today that Donald Glover, an acclaimed actor, award-winning writer, and Grammy-nominated artist, will be playing the part of Lando Calrissian in the still-untitled Han Solo Star Wars film, helmed by directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. Glover will join Alden Ehrenreich — previously cast as Han Solo — in bringing two iconic Star Wars characters back to the big screen, but at a time in their lives previously unexplored. This new film depicts Lando in his formative years as a scoundrel on the rise in the galaxy’s underworld — years before the events involving Han, Leia, and Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back and his rise to Rebel hero in Return of the Jedi.

“We’re so lucky to have an artist as talented as Donald join us,” said Lord and Miller. “These are big shoes to fill, and an even bigger cape, and this one fits him perfectly, which will save us money on alterations. Also, we’d like to publicly apologize to Donald for ruining Comic-Con for him forever.”

Glover is best known for creating and starring in the critically acclaimed FX series Atlanta (which had the highest premiere numbers for any basic cable comedy show since 2013), as well as for starring in four seasons of the show Community, and for his Grammy-nominated album Because the Internet, performed under the name Childish Gambino. In addition, Glover appeared in the Academy Award-nominated The Martian, and will be seen in the upcoming Spider-Man: Homecoming.

The untitled Han Solo movie is set for release in 2018.
EMILIA CLARKE JOINS THE HAN SOLO STAND-ALONE FILM

Emilia Clarke is heading to a galaxy far, far away — and she’s going to meet Han and Chewie.

StarWars.com is excited to announce that Clarke, known for her stirring portrayal of Daenerys Targaryen in Game of Thrones, will join the upcoming untitled Han Solo Star Wars movie. Clarke’s role will round out a dynamic cast of characters that Han and Chewie will encounter on their adventures.

Clarke joins Alden Ehrenreich and Donald Glover — previously cast as Han Solo and Lando Calrissian, respectively — in the highly-anticipated film, which is set prior to the original Star Wars trilogy.

The untitled Han Solo movie, helmed by directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, is set for release in 2018.
http://www.starwars.com/news/woody-harr ... -solo-film

WOODY HARRELSON SIGNS ON FOR YOUNG HAN SOLO FILM

Veteran film and television actor Woody Harrelson is stepping aboard the upcoming Han Solo movie set to arrive in theaters next year.

Harrelson, known for wide-ranging roles in film and TV such as The Hunger Games, No Country For Old Men, True Detective, Cheers, and Zombieland, will join actors Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo), Donald Glover (Lando Calrissian), and Emilia Clarke in the adventure. This Star Wars Story is the second in a series of films that live outside the Skywalker family saga, and is set during the early scoundrel days of the iconic characters, prior to A New Hope.

“We couldn’t be more excited to work with an artist with as much depth and range as Woody,” said the film’s directors Phil Lord and Christopher Miller. “His ability to find both humor and pathos, often in the same role, is truly unique. He is also very good at ping pong.”

The as-yet-untitled movie, which is being produced by Kathleen Kennedy, Allison Shearmur, and Simon Emanuel, is scheduled for release in 2018.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: Young Han Solo: A Star Wars Story

Post by Psia » 02/14/17

https://www.themarysue.com/phoebe-walle ... olo-droid/

Phoebe Waller-Bridge Will Play a “Significantly Featured” Female Droid in the Han Solo Movie
Here’s some fun news for all of you who expected BB-8 to be a female droid and then felt sad when everyone used male pronouns to refer to him: at long last, a lady droid will have a turn in the sun in the upcoming Han Solo feature film. Phoebe Waller-Bridge has been tapped to play a “significantly featured” female droid in the movie, according to Tracking Board.

If that’s the case, she’ll be the first female droid to ever feature prominently in a Star Wars movie. We’ve seen some female droids in smaller roles over the years, but we’ve never seen one in a true sidekick role–at least, not yet! It’s also likely, given how droids tend to operate in the Star Wars universe, that Waller-Bridge will end up playing a comedy relief role here–much like Alan Tudyk got to do with his scene-stealing performance as K-2SO in Rogue One.

I have no idea if Phoebe Waller-Bridge will end up getting to use her comedic chops or not, in this movie, but she certainly has experience with that. One of her best known roles is starring in Fleabag, which is a short British comedy show that she wrote and starred in about navigating the single life in London. The show has a lot of raunchy humor and plenty of opportunities for Waller-Bridge to show off her deadpan delivery; if you want to hear more about all of that, she elaborates in this video interview at HuffPo.
NSFW:
phpBB [media]
I can’t imagine what sort of droid would be willing to put up with Han Solo, but I definitely think Waller-Bridge would be able to go toe to toe with the young scoundrel. It’ll also be fun to see a woman getting the turn at the comic relief role, for a change, given that usually Star Wars doesn’t offer female characters an opportunity like that.

It’s also entirely possible she won’t be the comic relief at all in this movie… but here’s hoping, right? I think she’d be great at it!
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 02/21/17

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/06/17

http://www.starwars.com/news/michael-ke ... C826554539

Michael Kenneth Williams is going from his hometown of Brooklyn, New York, to a galaxy far, far away.

StarWars.com is thrilled to announce that Williams has officially signed on for the upcoming untitled Han Solo Star Wars movie. Williams comes to Star Wars having played many memorable roles in both TV and film, including Omar Little in The Wire and Albert “Chalky” White in Boardwalk Empire, bringing charisma, humanity, and nobility to all his performances.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/06/17

phpBB [media]

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 06/21/17

A bit of a shakeup for the Solo film. Directors Phil Lord and Chris Miller have left over "creative differences." Reports are that their approach was going for more of a comedy angle, whereas writer Lawrence Kasdan (he who made Empire Strikes Back the best Star Wars film to date) and Lucasfilm president Kathleen Kennedy wanted something more “sarcastic and selfish,” keeping more in character to Han as we saw him in A New Hope.

Front runners to take over directing are Kasdan, Ron Howard (rumored to be the favorite), and Joe Johnston. At this time, they are not expecting any delays to make the May 25, 2018 release date.

http://io9.gizmodo.com/ron-howard-is-th ... 1796285620

My take on the situation - Assuming everything above is true, I think the 'sarcastic and selfish' angle would better fit the character, especially pre ANH. I'm not against comedy, but I'd like to see that edge to Han that he had in the beginning. So maybe this shake up will be for the best. Guess we'll find out next year.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 06/22/17

CONFIRMED

Ron Howard shall finish directing duties for the Han Solo film.

http://www.starwars.com/news/ron-howard ... C946758536

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/25/17

What can we expect from Ron Howard picking up the reigns?

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: Han Solo: A Star Wars Story

Post by Psia » 08/23/17

Looks like they are sticking with the simple title, Han Solo: A Star Wars Story. Meh, I guess I had hoped for something more akin to his origin to guide the title.

https://www.comicbookmovie.com/sci-fi/s ... ed-a153428

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Re: Han Solo: A Star Wars Story

Post by Tregarde » 10/17/17

Ron Howard revealed the final name of the Han Solo movie...
https://twitter.com/RealRonHoward/statu ... 2320771073

Okay, so that's not the logo (I hope not anyway)... but that IS the name of the movie

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Re: SOLO: A Star Wars Story

Post by Slipps » 10/18/17

Reminds me of the plastic cups...

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: SOLO: A Star Wars Story

Post by Psia » 10/18/17

Slipps
10/18/17
Reminds me of the plastic cups...
You weren't the only one. I decided this was a good excuse for new Raven Poll!