The Orville (Star Trek Homage)

Post by Tregarde » 05/15/17

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: The Orville (Star Trek spoof)

Post by Psia » 05/16/17

I'm always tried to tell people that the parody film, Galaxy Quest, is some of the best Star Trek out there. Despite what a Trekkie nerd I've always been, I completely embraced the parody. It was a travesty that it never got another film or television series spun off it. This MacFarlane series is as close as we'll get. I'm so completely behind this.

Btw, the officer in green? That is Penny Johnson. Aka Kasidy Danielle Yates-Sisko from Deep Space Nine. :)
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/28/17

Color me impressed without seeing an episode. They are using practical effects for this. Orville is a physical model. Not CGI.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/09/17

I do really wonder if this comedy/drama will be more Trek than Star Trek? Below is the starship's galley. The silhouetted bottles look right out of Dr. McCoy's Sickbay.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 07/22/17

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 07/25/17

Deck plan for the U.S.S. Orville

MacFarlane from SDCC wrote:In this day and age of dystopian science fiction where everything is grim and dark and depressing I think there is an appetite – and I think it has been a while – for a show that is aspirational and optimistic and can maybe provide a blueprint for a future we could have if we get our shit together.
Ya know? I'm reading so much interest in this show. I have to speculate that Orville may exceed Discovery in overall ratings once both shows start broadcasting. Orville, while not really Star Trek, is going to be more accessible than Discovery's online only streaming. Gonna be interesting.

Calris
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Calris » 07/26/17

Given what I've seen of Seth's sense of humor from Family Guy and it's clones...spinoffs....rehashes...whatever... I'm not optimistic about the level of humor that this will present.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/04/17

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 09/04/17

I have to admit, I'm looking forward to this.
Seth has stated that he's leaning less on the humor in this than other creations. We'll see.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/19/17

Lovin' it!

Here is the Orville's quantum drive in action.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 09/22/17

I've watched the first two.... waiting until the third episode before reviewing.

So far, I actually *like* what I see. This *could* work, and work well.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/23/17

I agree with you, Scrattch. It's rather promising and I'm hopeful.

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Slipps » 09/25/17

I like this.
I like this better than I liked Discovery.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 09/25/17

Ditto.

I think Seth has something very promising here.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: The Orville (Star Trek Homage)

Post by Psia » 09/26/17

phpBB [media]

I changed the topic to read as homage instead of spoof. Because we now know that this is clearly what we are watching.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/27/17

phpBB [media]

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 09/27/17

Hahaha! He had some great one liners in there.

SO... 9 out of 10 fans agree:

Orville is Trek, Discovery is... well, we don't know just what, but it ain't Trek.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 09/28/17

Holy crap.

Episode 3...

Holy crap.

Remember what I said about 'if Seth tones down the dumbshit and plays it straight'?

This is the culmination of that thought and as well as being one of THE BEST pieces of sci-fi I've seen in a LONG time, it's sold me on the show. Seth GETS IT.

Seriously. Watch it, if you haven't already.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 10/30/17

http://variety.com/2017/tv/news/the-orv ... 202600964/
‘The Orville’ Hits Highest Ratings Since Week 2

Fox sci-fi series “The Orville” is currently up in both measures in the Thursday overnight ratings, drawing its best numbers since its second episode.

According to Nielsen data, “The Orville” averaged a 1.2 rating on adults 18-49 and 4.2 million viewers, up by over 20 percent in both measures compared to its last original episode two weeks ago. That is also the third-highest night on record for the freshman series, with the next highest being Episode 2, which drew a 2.2 and 6.6 million viewers. It should be noted however that the overnight numbers are subject to adjustment later today.
I'd have to say that is pretty impressive when you factor in The Orville has changed time slots from that of when episode 2 was broadcast. And had just returned from having skipped an entire week of broadcast.

Majority Rules seemed to have much more going on in it than previous stories. Shades of some of the better Star Trek (across all series) episodes with social allegory. The style of how this alien society carries itself also felt a lot like that of the 1980's Twilight Zones. A "what if" we used such a system? The difference being that this isn't the 1980's showing a distant future. We are uncomfortably close to what might be that particular cliff the alien world suggests.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 10/30/17

Majority Rules was f*cking brilliant.

They not only showed us the ultimate evolution of our societal trend, to top it off they have the crew of the Orville "save the day" by implementing a solution that is CLEARLY meant to show the American public exactly how Russia just screwed our last election. And it took me a moment to realize it, too.

And then my brain reminded me that this is a FOX property, which then caused it to implode as it attempted to reconcile the inherent contradiction.

Which simply made me love the Orville more.

Seth may be known for juvenile humor (which has been toned down considerably, to excellent effect, as predicted) but he's/they're not messing around with this. Each episode has gotten progressively better as the cast congeals and the dynamic has leveled out. The writing has gotten better. Guest stars abound (personally I think "Pria" was a weak episode, but even it was decent)... I'd say the show is on a far better track than STD.

Which... does... have it's... weird... not... charm?

But yeah, Orville actually makes me watch broadcast TV again. The whole family, actually.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/02/17

YES!

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 11/02/17

I'm so glad that I love this new Star Trek series so much. As opposed to that fan-fic Discovery crap.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 11/03/17

Hahahaha! QTF.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/05/17

Into the Fold was positively amazing.

Watch the episode and then read the review.

https://www.geek.com/television/charact ... y-1721598/

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/15/17

http://www.tvguide.com/news/the-orville ... ode-count/
Fox's The Orville has been on a roll since being the first new scripted broadcast series to air this season. Ratings started off great and have been strong enough for Fox to make it the first new broadcast show to earn a second season (aside from Will & Grace, which was given two seasons before it even premiered), and fans are all about Seth MacFarlane's sci-fi series.

However, TV Guide has learned the show will see its Season 1 episode count cut by one, meaning the originally planned 13-episode debut season will now be an even dozen episodes. The change means the Season 1 finale will air on Thursday, Dec. 7.

Don't blow your top like Darulio, though, Orville fans. That lost episode will be beamed over to the series' second season, which will likely air in the fall of 2018. That's not an unusual move for Fox, which did something similar with Lucifer during its second season run when it moved four episodes to the following season.
The Orville's Boss Says Viewers Won't Know What to Expect Each Week

The reason for the change is likely due to scheduling. Since the series was never envisioned as a 22-episodes-per-season show, Fox probably wanted to squeeze the entire season into the calendar year rather than leave a few episodes for after the break or in mid-December after other shows have exhausted their new episodes for the year. It's such a logical decision, we think Isaac would agree with it.
It may not be unreasonable. But I still don't have to like it. Grrrr...I don't like waiting that long for most of my shows these days.