[AoC] Ashes of Creation (MMORPG Coming 2019)

All manner of fun stuff!
Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

[AoC] Ashes of Creation (MMORPG Coming 2019)

Post by Psia » 05/31/17

Ashes of Creation Homepage

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Developed by San Diego-based Intrepid Studios, there are several former developers who had worked previously for SOE/Daybreak. Clearly the influence of the ill-fated EverQuest Next can be seen here. I can't know until after launch if this should have been EverQuest III or not. But I do wonder.

They initiated an All or Nothing Kickstarter with a goal of $750,000. As of this posting, the funds generated have reached $2,792,884.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Diera
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Re: [AoC] Ashes of Creation (MMORPG Coming 2018)

Post by Diera » 05/31/17

Please let this not be vaporware. Please let it not be vaporware.

It looks really good and takes a lot of the concepts I loved from EverQuest Next, but I'm holding my breath for now. Every time I get too excited over a new MMO that has stuff that would be great for RPing, something goes wrong. Good to see they far surpassed their funding goal, though.

Ijaka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Ijaka » 05/31/17

I was following this on Kickstarter, but it got to sounding like way more than they could conceivably deliver. Particularly with all the stretch goals they chalked up.

If anything ever comes of it though, I'll happily eat those words someday.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 06/01/17

It's easy to make promises, much more difficult to deliver. But I'll be keeping my eye on this, because if they can deliver it could be a lot of fun to play.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 06/08/17

"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/01/17

Glorious Citizens of the MMORPG genre. As part of our open and transparent development process, we are showing you today an EARLY look at our first testing environment called Alpha Zero. This is a Work in Progress and rough look at what over 60 developers are hard at work preparing Ashes of Creation's Alpha Zero. There are many internal testing phases that will lead up to our Closed Alpha One launch in 2018. The team is grateful for your support and enthusiasm for Ashes, and we promise not to let you down. With Love, - Steven
phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: [AoC] Ashes of Creation (MMORPG Coming 2019)

Post by Psia » 12/20/18

Been a year since we last talked about this game. Registration for Ashes of Creation Apocalypse is now open.

https://ashesofcreation.com/apocalypse

https://ashesofcreation.wiki/

Ashes of Creation Apocalypse (also referred to as Alpha-1 phase 1 and APOC)[3] will focus on the action side of combat.[4][5][6]
  • Ashes of Creation Apocalypse is a matchmaking-based arena style testing phase with three primary game modes.[6]
    • Battle royale (battlegrounds).[4][7]
    • Castle sieges.[4][7]
    • City defense horde mode.[4][7]
  • 6.25 km2 map size.[8]
  • Possibly a revised Weapon use ability system.[9]
  • Ashes of Creation Apocalypse testing modes will be implemented side-by-side with Ashes of Creation.[10]
  • Use the Character creator to create and save characters for use in the full game.[10]
  • Establish Player housing and save Furniture arrangements for use in the full game.[10]
  • Alpha-1 testers will test each arena mode for a month before that mode is granted to all registered users.[11]
  • This mode will continue during development and post launch.[11]
Apocalypse will be a free-to-play mode, so you won't even have to be a backer necessarily to play in it.[36] – Steven Sharif

In Apocalypse, you land in a world on the brink of destruction. The only way out is to be the last one standing. It is an arena based game which will support a number of different game modes, including battle royale-style gameplay, castle sieges, and gigantic monster hordes! Not only is Ashes of Creation: Apocalypse an exciting standalone experience, but we're also using it to help test new tech and features for Ashes of Creation - the more you play, the closer we'll get to the final launch of our MMO. Not only that, but any rewards you earn in Apocalypse will carry over to the MMO as well! Our high fantasy setting, the vast array of gear and spells, and our massively destructible environments make for an experience unlike anything you’ve played. Hop in, stay alive, and win the glory.
By the sound of, your Apocalypse character is testing the feature. Which might also hint at backstory/lore for what the game world when the full game officially launches later in 2019. I'm not entirely clear on how the character created would carry into the core game later on. Unless we just hand wave that the character was there all that time ago. And is now in the modern setting? At least player housing can be dabbled in.

Next post will be current information regarding roleplay support.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 12/20/18

Server types
  • There won't be separate roleplaying (RP) servers.[39]
  • There won't be separate PvE and PvP servers.[40]
Character Creation

Roleplaying

There are different systems that allow stories to be told in Ashes of Creation.[2]
  • Musical instruments.
  • Dance.
  • Easter eggs out in the world.
  • Social buildings provide spaces for players to gather and tell/share stories, while also affecting the game and interacting with the world.
    • The node government system builds into this.
  • Parlor games.[3]
  • Players can run a business based on role playing.[4]
A MMO lives and breathes on its community and we don't really want to give short shrift to any one of those types. All of them are important: the RPers are important, the people who just want to hang out in the Inn and talk are important, they all add to the game and so we want to make sure that we take care of all of them... You can run a business based on RPing.[4] – Jeffrey Bard

Taverns
Taverns are a type of building that can be placed in Nodes or on Freeholds.[3]

There is a limit to the number of taverns that can be built in a node by the node's government.[4]
Many adventures begin in a humble tavern. I’m sure many of you have memories from pen and paper
    Tavern progression
    Taverns provide tiered services.[5]
    • Quests that might only be gathered from the player-owned taverns.
    • Meals that grant buffs for a period of time after a player leaves.
    • Recipes that could potentially be sold to cooking professions, that may only be obtained from a player-owned business in a certain area.
    • The longer the tavern is in business and the more patrons served, the faster the tavern will level up.[5]
    • Player owned businesses
      • Our business owner system... grants players a meaningful existence in the world and rewards them for their persistence, dedication and survivability.[5] – Steven Sharif
    • Business chains
      There's no reason why you couldn't license your name to somebody else who also has a freehold and who also has an Inn and work together.[6] – Jeffrey Bard
    • Taverns offer private chat and voice communications for all patrons within the building.[3]
    • Music within taverns can be set by players.[3]
    • Tavern Security
      It is unlikely that there will be mechanisms to kick or ban people from player-owned taverns.[16]
      • There are plenty of mechanics for you to exercise your dislike of another player especially through PvP and we don't want to hard code in divisive systems, such as either excluding movement of a player character into a certain area, such as your Tavern; or banning somebody through that method.[16] – Steven Sharif

Tregarde
    Practically Staff
    Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 12/20/18

Apocalypse is basically "Let's do a battle royale to test some stuff... oh shit, people loved it! Let's run with it!"

Which is fine by me, as long as they don't abandon the RPG (which they aren't).

Psia
    Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
    Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 12/21/18

I haven't been inside past character creation yet. And that is rudimentary for the current purpose. Plus they are working out server load kinks. The US west server - which is where I'd play - hasn't been up much at all.

Tregarde
    Practically Staff
    Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 12/21/18

Tavern Security
    It is unlikely that there will be mechanisms to kick or ban people from player-owned taverns.
    This part I do NOT like. Being able to remove troublemakers helps more than it hurts. Without the ability to kick people, there is nothing to stop a mass of trolls from effectively taking over a player run establishment.

Diera
    Practically Staff
    Practically Staff

Post by Diera » 12/22/18

Psia wrote:
    12/21/18
    I haven't been inside past character creation yet. And that is rudimentary for the current purpose. Plus they are working out server load kinks. The US west server - which is where I'd play - hasn't been up much at all.
    You're lucky, my dumb ass can't even find character creation.