Post by Psia » 08/04/18

\o/

!!!!!!!!!

O.M.G.

I'm so pleased.

phpBB [media]

http://trekcore.com/blog/2018/08/patric ... ouncement/
PATRICK STEWART:

“I will always be very proud to have been a part of Star Trek: The Next Generation, but when we wrapped that final movie in the spring of 2002, I truly felt my time with Star Trek had run its natural course,” Stewart said. “It is, therefore, an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard and to explore new dimensions within him. Seeking out new life for him, when I thought that life was over.”

Stewart added that now, in particular, seems like a good time to bring back the character, who exemplified calm, moral, reasoned leadership. “During these past years, it has been humbling to hear many stories about how The Next Generation brought people comfort, saw them through difficult periods in their lives or how the example of Jean-Luc inspired so many to follow in his footsteps, pursuing science, exploration and leadership,” he said. “I feel I’m ready to return to him for the same reason – to research and experience what comforting and reforming light he might shine on these often very dark times. I look forward to working with our brilliant creative team as we endeavor to bring a fresh, unexpected and pertinent story to life once more.

ALEX KURTZMAN:

“With overwhelming joy, it’s a privilege to welcome Sir Patrick Stewart back to the Star Trek fold. For over 20 years, fans have hoped for the return of Captain Jean-Luc Picard and that day is finally here. We can’t wait to forge new ground, surprise people, and honor generations both new and old.”
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Re: Sir Patrick Stewart Returning to Iconic Picard Role

Post by Shizouka » 08/04/18

I am very curious about this. I am also wondering if this is an attempt to bring in some of the DS9/TNG fans back into the fold.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 08/04/18

Color me intrigued! I'm rather curious what they have in mind.

Maybe it will be a show about Picard making and going around tasting wines.

Shizouka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Shizouka » 08/05/18

Nah, it's a musical tour.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 08/05/18

1991? So.... Picard will also be a time traveller?

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 08/05/18

Tregarde wrote:
08/05/18
1991? So.... Picard will also be a time traveller?
Wouldn't be the first time.

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

phpBB [media]

Whatever they do for the new series, they better bring back Whoopie Goldberg as Guinan.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 08/05/18

phpBB [media]

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 08/13/18

Word is that CBS has trademarked, Star Trek: Reliant, over the past week.

Is it related is anyone's guess.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 09/24/18

/squee

It's happening.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 11/09/18

Captain Picard is the hero we need, says Star Trek writer Michael Chabon
https://www.cnet.com/news/star-trek-dis ... el-chabon/

Gives me hope for the new Picard series.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 11/26/18

Reliant? That's the Miranda Class Vessel Khan seized control of in WOK.
That would place the show in the past?

I dunno. I need way more detail about this before I get excited. Having Stewart is enough to pique my interest, but I'm very leery of CBS/Paramount after Axanar and the crap ass Abrams reboot universe.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 01/09/19

'Star Trek' Boss: Picard Leads "Radically Altered" Life in CBS All Access Series
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live- ... ls-1174452
What is the next chapter in the life of Jean-Luc Picard?

That's the question Star Trek diehards have been asking since August, when Patrick Stewart officially boarded an untitled CBS All Access series that will see him play Picard for the first time since 2002's Star Trek: Nemesis. Little is known about the plot of the show, which has been described as an exploration of the next chapter of Picard's life. Fans have speculated that it will find him serving as an ambassador, just as Leonard Nimoy's Spock did in the later years of his life.

Now, Trek captain Alex Kurtzman is pulling back the curtain on the upcoming project, revealing that a cataclysmic event depicted in J.J. Abrams' 2009 Star Trek movie impacted Picard in a big way. In that film, written by Kurtzman and former producing partner Roberto Orci, it was revealed that Nimoy's Spock failed to save the Romulan homeworld Romulus from a supernova several years after the events of Nemesis.

Now, Kurtzman — as part of a Creative Space interview with The Hollywood Reporter (posting Wednesday) — is ready to reveal one massive clue about the premise of his CBS All Access Picard effort, due in late 2019: "Picard's life was radically altered by the dissolution of the Romulan Empire," Kurtzman tells THR.

The Picard series will be the first onscreen Trek story set in the aftermath of that event, which would have altered the balance of power in the galaxy. The destruction of Romulus would also have extra resonance for Picard, who has a long and complicated relationship with the Romulans, the alien race that split from Vulcan society thousands of years ago and founded a separate civilization. The Romulans went on to control a portion of the galaxy, and the empire was in opposition to the Federation for all of Picard's career.

One of his goals as captain of the Enterprise was seeking a peace between the Romulan Empire and the Federation. Picard teamed with Spock during the events of the Next Generation two-part story "Unification," in which they learned that Romulans claiming to seek a peaceful reunification with the Vulcans were actually planning a secret takeover. And in the events of Nemesis, Picard faced off with a clone of himself (Tom Hardy) created by the Romulans.

Kurtzman says Stewart agreed to return only if he could defy what people are used to seeing with Trek. "He threw down an amazing gauntlet and said, 'If we do this, I want it to be so different, I want it to be both what people remember but also not what they're expecting at all, otherwise why do it?' " Kurtzman recalls of their initial discussions for what would become the highly anticipated CBS All Access series.

That was part of a long journey to woo Stewart back to the role that began more than a year ago.

Fans have had a long-running debate about who the greatest Trek captain is. Although Kurtzman wrote two films centering on Captain Kirk (2009's Star Trek and 2013's Star Trek Into Darkness), he'd always considered Picard the greatest. So when he made a wish list of things he could do to build out All Access' Trek universe, bringing Stewart back as Picard was high on his list.

The only problem: The actor was rumored to be uninterested in revisiting Picard, whom he played for seven seasons on Star Trek: The Next Generation from 1987-94 and in four feature films. Kurtzman wasn't sure of the response he'd get when he called Stewart's agent and asked for a meeting.

"To our amazement and delight, the agent called back and said he was curious to know what we had in mind," Kurtzman says.

Kurtzman, along with then-Star Trek: Discovery producer Akiva Goldsman and writer Kirsten Beyer, met with Stewart to pitch their vision.

"What we tried to convey in that meeting was how desperately we loved him and the character and how much we wanted to see what happened to Picard," says Kurtzman.

Stewart asked them to prepare a three-page document outlining their ideas. By this point, novelist and screenwriter Michael Chabon had joined the team to pitch a Picard-centric show, and they soon realized they could not fit their ideas into just three pages.

"It turned into a 34-page document — with no way to shorten it," says Kurtzman. "We were going on all in and he was going to read it or not read it, love it or hate it. It was our best attempt at trying to get him to say yes."

Fortunately, Stewart liked what he read. Kurtzman got the call that the actor would be in Los Angeles during Oscars weekend and wanted to meet.

"He walked into the room and he had a huge smile on his face and said, 'This is wonderful,'" recalls Kurtzman of that March 2018 meeting with Stewart." What he understood at that point … was that he was with people who desperately wanted to collaborate with him, that we weren't trying to exploit him. He knew if he was going to go back to Picard, it needed to be for the greatest reason ever."

The Picard series is just one in Kurtzman's Trek empire. It will join the flagship series Star Trek Discovery, as well as Lower Decks, the upcoming half-hour animated comedy from Mike McMahan (Rick and Morty), and the shortform entry Short Treks. Other projects in development include a second kids-focused animated series (that may live outside of CBS All Access), a Discovery spinoff starring Michelle Yeoh and the younger-skewing Starfleet Academy from Josh Schwartz and Stephanie Savage (The O.C.).

For Trek fans, part of the draw of the upcoming Picard show is not only seeing Stewart back, but the possibility that members of his old crew might stop by for a cameo. Is that on the table?

"Anything could happen," Kurzman says.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 01/10/19

There are a series of novels, none written by Michael Chabon, that layout Romulan factions vying to establish a new seat of power post-Romulus. One lead by Donatra. Who Picard considered an ally. However, these factions lead into what would be called the Typhon Pact. Romulans and other alien societies organized in direct opposition to the ever expanding United Federation of Planets.

Just how much of that can be adapted I don't know. Chabon is a good writer and I wouldn't mind something totally not done before.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 01/31/19

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pat ... 42346.html
After seven seasons and four movies captaining the good ship Enterprise as Jean-Luc Picard, Patrick Stewart officially stepped down from Starfleet following the release of 2002’s Star Trek: Nemesis. At that time, he had no intention of ever requesting a cup of “Earl Grey, hot” from a shipboard computer ever again. “Although I loved being Picard … I had not realized that there would be a downside to that,” he confessed to Yahoo Entertainment. (Watch our video interview above.)

That downside was convincing the film industry that he could play something other than a starship captain. Never mind that Stewart’s pre-Next Generation stage and screen credits ran the gamut from Shakespeare to Frank Herbert; whenever he met with directors, they only saw Picard. And so he made the difficult decision to permanently retire his alter ego, turning down all entreaties to put on the Starfleet uniform again with a firm, “I’m done.”

Not anymore, he’s not. Last August, Stewart shocked the world by announcing that Picard will make his return in an all-new Star Trek series for CBS All-Access. “It is an unexpected but delightful surprise to find myself excited and invigorated to be returning to Jean-Luc Picard,” he wrote in his Twitter statement.

Stewart elaborated on why he’s ready to boldly go back to Star Trek in our interview. “I agreed to a meeting with the people who were going to produce this new version of Star Trek only because I wanted to seriously and respectfully explain to them why I was turning the project down. I heard just enough to realize this was something very unusual, and I was intrigued. What I was afraid of was … this was going to be jokey, and I didn’t want to do that.’ I asked a lot of questions and the answers were all very satisfying.”

Naturally, Stewart declined to share any of those answers with us. But he did reveal a few tantalizing details. For starters, this new series will tell one long tale instead of Next Generation‘s episodic structure. “They are writing a 10-hour movie,” the actor says, referring to the writers’ room headed up by Discovery showrunner, Alex Kurtzman. Earlier this year, Kurtzman shared that the still-untitled Picard series will take place after the destruction of the Romulan Empire, an event that throws Picard’s life into turmoil. And that turmoil may take more than 10 episodes to resolve. “We’re hoping for more than one season,” Stewart volunteered.

Stewart also says that audiences shouldn’t expect the older Picard to be sporting a grey beard as he does in the TNG series finale, “All Good Things.” That episode — which celebrates its 25th anniversary in May — memorably bounced between timelines, depicting Jean-Luc in the past, present and future. “I remember vividly those scenes [in the future],” Stewart says now. “I grew a beard and they made me up. I looked older than I will in the upcoming series!”
So. A ten-part series? I'm down with that.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 02/13/19

https://trekmovie.com/2019/02/13/did-so ... card-show/
Did Sonequa Martin-Green Just Reveal The Title Of The Star Trek Picard Show?
I started playing around. Which one would you vote for?
  • Star Trek: Picard
  • Picard: A Star Trek Streaming Television Series
  • Jean-Luc: The Picard Saga
  • Tea. Earl Grey. Hot.
  • There Are Four Lights: The Jean-Luc Picard Story
Stewart’s comments also confirm our reporting that production starts in April and the show will be shot in California where it has already received $15.6 million in tax credits. His comment about the “middle of California” is curious as most of the studio space in the state – notably Paramount Pictures where most Star Trek shows have been produced – is in the Los Angeles area in Southern California.
I call Napa Wine Country. Setting will be the Picard Vineyard. I will speculate that is where it will begin. With Jean-Luc drawn out of retirement for a specific cause. Running for the office of Federation President, maybe? So another name to consider is Chateau Picard.

Tregarde
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Tregarde » 02/14/19

It's going to be a show about wine. Picard is going to travel the galaxy, sampling wine, like a sci-fi Anthony Bourdain.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/05/19

https://trekmovie.com/2019/03/04/star-t ... two-roles/

The first casting announcements for the upcoming Jean-Luc Picard series are here. Joining Sir Patrick Stewart as he returns to the role of Jean-Luc Picard will be Santiago Cabrera and Michelle Hurd, both of whom have been cast as series regulars.

There is no official word yet on the character’s Cabrera and Hurd will play. [UPDATE] However, Deadline’s Nellie Andreeva offers some possible (unconfirmed) details:
  • I hear Cabrera will play the pilot of Picard’s ship who also is a skillful thief. Hurd is playing a former intelligence officer who is a brilliant analyst with a terrific memory that has not been affected by her drug and alcohol abuse.
The 40-year-old Cabrera began his career in England, appearing in various stage productions and television shows, and where he is best known for playing Aramis in the BBC series The Musketeers. Recently, he has appeared in HBO’s Big Little Lies and Alex Kurtzman’s CBS series Salvation. His feature film credits include Steven Soderbergh’s Che and Michael Bay’s Transformers: The Last Knight.

Michelle Hurd has played several genre roles in her career, appearing on Ash vs. Evil Dead, Daredevil, and Jessica Jones, but is probably best known for playing Detective Monique Jeffries during the first two seasons of Law & Order: Special Victims Unit. Most recently, she’s had recurring roles on Blindspot and Lethal Weapon. She also has a Kurtzman connection, having guest starred in six episodes of Hawaii Five-O.
If those bios have an ounce of truth to them I'm calling it now. Star Trek Renegades. :P They will steal the fan series title. Picard will steal a state-of-the-art prototype starship requiring an ace pilot.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/06/19

More crew bios for this ship Picard will be aboard. Clearly, it's not Starfleet. I strongly suspect we are getting a miniseries along the line of TNG's The Chase? Picards scientific passion is archeology. I think he is retired and finally free to follow his passion as his old mentor, Prof. Galen, suggested that he should. Though not exploring across political borders in a defenseless shuttlecraft as the late Galen did.

I hope I'm right. Because this could be really good to follow.

https://comicbook.com/startrek/amp/2019 ... reakdowns/
Star Trek fans may have received new details about the upcoming Jean-Luc Picard series with Patrick Stewart.

That Hashtag Show reports having gotten its hands on character breakdowns for the show’s core cast. These breakdowns are not confirmed, but taken at face value they tease some interesting additions to the Star Trek mythology.

Patrick Stewart is already confirmed to return as Jean-Luc Picard. There have been hints that Picard is no longer a Starfleet captain as the new series begins. That Hashtag Show’s reporting doesn’t offer any new details to that.

As for new characters, the first is Starton. “a male of any ethnicity in his early 30s. He specializes in positronic brains and is terrified of space. He’s charming in a self-deprecating way and is excited about the research opportunities on Picard’s mission.”

It is interesting that the Picard would enlist an expert on positronic brains for his mission. Dr. Noonien Soong created positronic brains for use in the creation of his androids, such as Data, Lore, and B-4. Fans can speculate about whether Starton’s involvement hints at a relationship between Picard’s mission and Dr. Soong’s legacy.

Next Connie, “a female who is also in her early 30’s. She’s African-American and has a quick temper, but is also quick to forgive. In addition to dealing with the loss of her husband, she is also avoiding a death sentence on her home planet. She’s a mercenary pilot who uses her ship to transport people to and from an artifact of some kind, though the ship is massively overqualified for that job.”

Then there’s Lawrence, “a handsome man in his 30’s of any ethnicity. . . who has a dodgy moral compass. He’s the pilot of the ship Picard takes on his mission. Being a capable (and enthusiastic) thief, his loyalties are questionable.”

It sounds like Picard is associating with much shadier people than he did during his Starfleet days.

One of the more interesting breakdowns is for Dr. Smith, who is “a male in his 30s or 40s of any ethnicity.” He’s described as, “a hologram who helps the crew through emergencies encompassing engineering, tactical, science investigation, and medical issues. He was programmed to learn but not become too self-aware. He’s calm, efficient, and empathic, but he sometimes has difficulties sorting out others emotional reactions to get at the facts.”

As That Hashtag Show speculates, this does sound like an updated version of the Emergency Medical Hologram. Robert Picardo played the EMH, called the Doctor, in Star Trek: Voyager.

The youngest lead character is K’Bar, “a 17-year-old Romulan and the only child of what’s a mainly female Spiritual Order. A martial artist and considered a lethal weapon, he’s prone to mood swings and is committed to living in the moment with as much transparency as possible. He takes his devotion to Picard and his mission EXTREMELY seriously.”

This is an interesting one. Producer Alex Kurtzman already confirmed that the destruction of Romulus is a life-changing event for Picard. That this young Romulan is so devoted to him may be a hint at how that change manifests. K’Bar would also the first Romulan core cast member in a Star Trek series.

There’s also Indira, “a female in her early 20s of any Ethnicity. She’s extremely smart and physically agile . . . but maybe not so mature and a bit socially challenged because she tries too hard.”

Lastly, there is Alana, “a female in her mid-40s to mid-50s and is of any ethnicity. She’s a brilliant analyst and has a great memory despite abusing drugs and alcohol. Often times she gets irritated with her own vulnerability and is certain of herself, even when she’s wrong. A former intelligence officer, she sees conspiracies everywhere. Her professional and personal losses weigh heavily on her.”

Putting this together, it seems Picard may be putting together a crew for a mission unsanctioned by Starfleet. The mission seems to involve a mysterious artifact. It is exciting to wonder what Picard has gotten himself into.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/22/19

http://trekcore.com/blog/2019/04/three- ... ries-cast/
Three More Names Added to Picard STAR TREK Series Cast

It doesn’t have a formal title yet, but the upcoming Jean-Luc Picard Star Trek series cast continues its expansion today, as CBS has announced three more additions to Sir Patrick Stewart’s crew.

Perhaps the biggest co-star yet announced is Alison Pill, perhaps best known for her work in HBO’s The Newsroom and Scott Pilgrim vs. The World, joins previously-announced series regulars Michelle Hurd, Santiago Cabrera, and Evan Evagoria, each named to the series earlier this year.

Additionally, British actor Harry Treadaway also beams aboard the Picard show, coming off lead roles as Dr. Victor Frankenstein in Showtime’s Penny Dreadful and the television adaptation of Stephen King’s Mr. Mercedes — so no stranger to genre productions here.

Lastly, relative newcomer Isa Briones also joins the show; the Londoner’s most recent television credit is a guest spot in FX’s American Crime Story: Versace last year, but the 20-year-old has just wrapped up her time as one of the leads in the touring production of hit Broadway show Hamilton.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/22/19

UntitledPicardProject has begun filming today.