Raven Mythic Change Log

Chat about anything and everything
Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Re: Raven Mythic Change Log

Post by Duvessa » 09/26/13

System Updates:

The Raven was rebooted several times this morning to address system update and performance issues, as well as to update some of the utilities I use for optimization.

Additionally, a $10 renewal fee was paid on our IP blocklist software which helps protect the system from intrusive hackers and forum spammers.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 09/29/13

Festival of Discord:

The Festival of Discord web site (fod.ravenfire.net or discord.ravenfire.net) has been updated to the latest version of PHPBB, and an error with the database has been corrected.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 10/15/13

Artist Alley:

Kiarryn... FINALLY... has her artist alley set up. I apologize for taking so very long to get this done. I'm such a doofus. Please go and check out her work, she's got a lot of amazing stuff up that's been buried and uncommented on!

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 11/02/13

Character Icons:

While the character icons for the various forums were nice, I felt they added a hugely unnecessary additional set of icons onto the main page. They were useful for navigating to your characters, but it meant always having to click back to the main page, and always having to see them, even when you weren't using them.

I have moved this functionality into the "You" button that is part of your account controls:

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 11/06/13

RFN Site Re-Vamp:

RFN, our streaming radio station, has been through a major update, web-site wise. Here's a quick summary of all the changes made:
  • A complete overhaul of the graphical look and feel of the web site, aiming for a minimalist, modern, look.
  • Revised coding for compatibility with Internet Explorer
  • Improved DJ change detection. In previous versions of the site, the RFN stream player would tend to freak out when there was a change between DJs. Some coding changes have been made to make sure that the player resets when a new DJ takes over.
  • HTML 5 support: RFN now works on machines that do not have Adobe Flash, but DO support HTML 5 audio codecs, which is what you will find on most iOS devices.
  • Improved mobile device detection: RFN has a new system in place that detects if you are on a small-screen mobile device, and will shift over to a minimal player, allowing you to better stream music from your phones.
  • DJ Bios and improved promotion: The site has been changed to help people coming to the RFN web site get a real handle on not only the station, but on what else the Raven offer's people.
DJ's Wanted:

RFN has only a few really active DJ's at the moment, and not nearly as many shows as I would like to see going on. I'm currently looking for a few more people to step up and join the DJ staff on RFN. If you're interested in becoming a DJ, please contact me!

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 11/11/13

Multiverse Edits:

I've moved us over to a new thread for Games that we play. viewtopic.php?f=278&t=31794 I want to get us transitioned to the new format so that 1. we'll be up to date with who plays who in what universe, and 2. so that it's easier for us to keep it up to date.

I've added instructions for searching the list, and created a code that can be copy/pasted into a reply and filled out so that I can just pop it into the thread above. ;) Please update your character listings as you have the time.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/14/13

Sci-Fi Lovers
A few were so excited about the new Doctor Who minisode that they started their own threads. All merged into the DW thread now.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 11/20/13

ShoutBox:

A bug that was causing RFN host/track information errors has been corrected. Additional SB improvements will be coming when I get a chance, including addressing a bug where, if you are listening to the 24 hour stream, you don't get switched to the live stream when a DJ comes online. We'll be working on that one soon.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 11/25/13

Embedding Tweets:

You can now embedd links to Tweets into posts, using the following simple code:

Code: Select all

[tweet] https://twitter.com/tarastrong/status/404846780111527936[/tweet]
Which results in:

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 11/29/13

Hackers Repelled:

Over the last 24 hours, the Raven has been under attack by Ukranian hackers. Their attempts to subert the site have caused major CPU lag. I've managed to isolate and repel them for now, but if anything comes up, if you see anything odd, please let me know.

Tapatalk:

Tapatalk, our mobile application, has been updated to the latest version. It's faster, and fixes several bugs, including icons not displaying correctly.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 11/29/13

Duvessa :Hackers Repelled:

Over the last 24 hours, the Raven has been under attack by Ukranian hackers. Their attempts to subert the site have caused major CPU lag. I've managed to isolate and repel them for now, but if anything comes up, if you see anything odd, please let me know.

Shield of the Raven

FABLED
+53 sta +62 wis
+10 Crushing +10 Focus +5 Piercing +75 Ranged +5 Slashing

100% Repel Hackers
.6% Crit Bonus
12.5% Multi Attack Chance
4.1% Spell Weapon Multi-Attack Chance
8.1 Spell Weapon Damage Per Second
7.7% Crit Chance
20 Block Chance
1.8% Potency
16.3 Damage Per Second

Protection 600

Level 100
All Priests, Berserker, Guardian, Paladin, Shadowknight
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 12/03/13

Network Downtime:

Tomorrow 12/4/14 from 12:00 AM until 5:00 AM, Comcast will be doing upgrades and maintenance on our Internet connection. IE, starting tonight at midnight. While the chances are that nobody will notice this at all, you may experience an inability to connect with the web site and related services.

People using IRC clients will be able to connect to the SB normally. The SB widget may or may not work during the update period.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 12/04/13

Semi-Absent:

You're probably not going to see a lot of me the rest of the week. I have a truly massive amount of client work, which will end in a launch of our new server on Friday or Saturday. That's going to keep me very busy. I will show up when I can, but I have a huge bug list I have to tear through, and can't be distracted until it's done.

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 12/11/13

- Moved three topics to more appropriate forums and/or erased double posts.

- Please note that we have several special forums - Multiverse, Sci Fi Lovers, Minecraft, Ponyville, etc. that we created for posts relating to Games (Multiverse), Genre Entertainment (Sci Fi Lovers - which includes fantasy), and other fandoms.

If you cannot see these forums and would like to, please go click the Wrench in the Profile box at the top of the screen, click "edit your profile", and go to Usergroups. From there you can select the forums you wish to see and join them. ;)

Happy Browsing! :D

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 12/11/13

Erithe makes a good reminder here. If you have previously opted out of some forums, you might want to take some time to re-consider just what you have opted out of. We have lots of posts, and lots of forums. It's a way to help keep organized, and the opt-outs are a way to avoid forums you never wish to look at. But double check to make sure you haven't wound up opting out of something you might really like!

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 12/16/13

RFN Now With Custom DJ Images:

The RFN player window for the pop-out player, and the main page of the RFN web site, have been changed to include a new feature; custom DJ images. What this allows a DJ to do is to change the image being displayed in the player window. When they make this change, the change is pushed to all listeners within a second or two.

DJ's can use this function to upload a single picture for the night, or to change the image as many times as they like. Clicking on the image will cause a new window to open with a full-sized version of that image.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 12/17/13

Chath Should be Flattered:

Every major Raven theme misspelled "Chat" with as "Chath", for the last 4 years, and nobody noticed. I have since corrected this.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 12/28/13

Event Dates:

There's some oddness with the events system and the coming new year. Some bad logic in the code is messing with displaying the events properly. I am working on it. :(

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 01/01/14

Vox Down:

The politics forums will be down until further notice. Certain relevant links will be placed in a proper sticky in Banter later this week.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 01/06/14

Operations Restored:

Normal server operations have been restored after a network upset caused by power issues related to the severe winter storms. We are back up and running after a few bypasses.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 01/18/14

Server Updates:

The main Raven server was up and down several times this afternoon as I have been working to track down errors that were slowing down the site. I have cleared out a 21 GB database log file, purged several caches, optimized the main Raven database, and allocated more memory to the database server as well as upping it's CPU priority. I think this will make the Raven more responsive.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 01/29/14

Speed Boost:

I've been able to identify one of the major sources of the recent lag happening on the Raven, and have been able to eliminate it. I believe this will cause a significant reduction in page load times. I'm also working on something else I hope will further ease the load-times associated with the web pages.

What was happening was that on each page load, an exhaustive search of the character database was being conducted. This really wasn't necessary unless someone actively clicked the "You" button, but it was happening on EVERY page, regardless of if you went to check your profile or not, and %99.999 of the time, nobody ever was. This was resulting in a huge waste of CPU time, banging the database for no good reason.

I've managed to make a slight tweak that fixes the issue.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 02/07/14

Spammers Stopped:

I discovered that spammers were exploiting a loophole in the security of the Festival of Discord site to engage in a MASSIVE spamming operation that was constantly bombarding the forums with huge amounts of crap. Hundreds of thousands of posts, hundreds of millions of false wordlist entries, forged system messages, you name it. The bots had been running out of control, and their constant pounding against the database had just completely slagged it.

I've enhanced the FOD security, purged out the boards, and IP banned the spammers that attacked us. Hopefully, this will FINALLY result in much speedier performance on the Raven.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 02/13/14

Games and Fandoms > Multiverse
  • Created and stickied a news and discussion thread for Neverwinter. Which includes a link to Linian's beta discussion thread.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 02/19/14

Radio Free Norrath:

The main page of Radio Free Norrath has been slightly enhanced to make it easier for newcomers to find ways into the chat system, and to see who is online. At every song refresh, the list of users in chat will also refresh, keeping the page current.

ShoutBox:

Our current chat widget for the ShoutBox lapsed in its licensing, which is why there's advertising banners now. I apologize for this, but money is a little tight. I'm going to work on looking at better IRC interfaces for us before I decide if I am going to re-subscribe to the Mibbit IRC product we currently use.