Raven Mythic Change Log

Chat about anything and everything
Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Re: Raven Mythic Change Log

Post by Duvessa » 02/20/14

Banners:

The RM special event banners now show on all custom themes.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 02/24/14

FAQ Revisions:

I have deleted, moved, and edited a number of the Raven FAQ documents to better organize the site, and reflect that we're not just a single MMO site anymore.

The single biggest revision, and the only one of major note, is in the "Big Damn Policy", first part:
"Don't be a dick" is a fundamental rule of all social spaces. Every other policy for getting along with other humans is a special case of it. If a significant number of reasonable people suggest, whether bluntly or politely, that you are being a dick, the odds are good that you are not entirely in the right.

I'll be blunt here: You can obey every technical rule, follow everything in this document to the letter, and still be a dick. And if you are, you'll be removed. This is a community of friends, and if you're not acting in a manner that is conducive to that, I can and will exercise my right to edit your posts, delete your posts, and even ban you. Some people exist to sew discord. Some people can't help it. We're not here to be therapists, and we're not obliged to be tolerant of disharmony. If you can't play nice with others, you won't be around to play at all.

Being right about an issue does not mean you're not being a dick. Dicks can be right - but they're still dicks. If there's something in what they say that is worth hearing, it goes unheard, because no one likes listening to dicks. It doesn't matter how right they are.

Being a dick isn't equivalent to being uncivil or impolite (though incivility and rudeness often accompany dickery). One may be perfectly civil and follow every rule of etiquette and still be a dick.

Avoiding dickery is not simply a matter of observing the more obvious rules of etiquette, but is a broader and more important concern, generally involving the practice of maintaining a position of respect for the intrinsic qualities of another person during the course of interaction - or else gently cutting the interaction short. Truly being civil and polite means that you do show respect for others, even when right.

Respect others, even when you disagree. Sometimes the best weapon is to disarm your opponent by disarming yourself (via civil and constructive behaviour), transforming an opponent into a collaborator. Subduing one's opponent without fighting is not only the highest form of mastery, it is also a winning solution for all involved.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 02/25/14

Merged a Scrapbook topic into an identical topic found in the Scifi Lovers forum. Remember that anyone can Opt-in to the Scifi Lovers forum if you haven't chosen to do so yet.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 02/25/14

Staff Updates:

I made sure that the staffing lists on the FAQ and in the EQ2 character profiles area were properly up to date.

KOF Web Site:

The Knights of Freeport web site was updated and rebooted.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 03/02/14

Introducing Dexterity:

The Raven's default theme has been changed from "Nimble" to our new theme, "Dexterity". Dexterity has a number of nifty changes designed to better help you organize the main page of the raven.
  • Glyphicons - A number of Raven buttons have been replaced by "Glyphicons", single-color icons that make navigation easier on the eyes. You will see these changers on the main page, in forums, and in individual topics.

Easier open - "ShoutBox", "Radio Free Norrath", and "Mark forums read" widgets now don't have that distracting icon off to the side in order to work. Just click on the bar and they work.

Collapsible sidebars - When you click on the title area of "Upcoming Events", "Birthdays", "Raven Weather", "Contribute", and "Stats", those widgets will collapse to save space on the screen. This will be remembered the next time you log into the Raven on that computer.

Opt-Out hidden - The opt-opt buttons for certain forum categories appears only when you hover your mouse over the name of the category. For people wishing to permanently opt-out of the Thelus, EQ2, and Multiverse forums.

Organized forums - This is, I hope, I MAJOR improvement. You can now sort the order of the major forum categories as you like! If you click on the "Change forum order" widget, a set of icons will show up, letting you move each category up and down. This lets you organize the main page form list to your personal liking!

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 03/03/14

Forum Order:

I didn't quite like the way the ability to change the order of the forums was working, it was too clunky to have icons flashing off and on as you moved your mouse. So, I made a small change - If you click on the "Change forum order" widget, a set of icons will show up, letting you move each category up and down.

Older Themes:

As an FYI, I am planning on bringing this functionality to some of our older forum themes, but there's a few things I need to take care of before I do. To make this new theme REALLY work as well as I want it to, I need to purchase the commercial source files for the glyphs, and then learn how to manipulate them. Once I do, Dexterity's improvements can be applied to older themes.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

EverQuest Next & EverQuest Landmark Forums:

I've created both EQN and EQNL forums within the Multiverse sub-forums. Erithe will take charge of these forums. Come the actual release, once these games are out of beta, they we'll make proper full on forum categories and RP areas and so on.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Thelus:

In order to not have the main page of the Raven be quite so busy, several Thelus forums were moved inside of the "Community Center" forum. We've got too much stuff on the main page, and especially with Thelus being in the transition period between seasons, and not a lot of activity, it just didn't make sense to eat up so much screen real estate.

EQ2 Roleplay:

It's come to my attention that several threads in the EQ2 roleplay areas have been "vandalized" by their own posters. Now, when I say vandalized, I mean people have been going in and editing their posts, replacing crucial text with now-blank text, so as to clearly indicate they are no longer participating. This sort of thing just screams drama.

For the future, mods are here to help! Just PM one of the managers and we can help with a thread by either deleting it entirely, temporarily shutting it down, or taking some other action to address the issue.

No, we're not camp counselors, and we're not offering to fix interpersonal problems, but..... Threads with big gaping holes in them are obvious signs of conflict that don't look good for anyone. Nobody benefits from the airing of these issues in public. Let us know, and we can help on the editorial side to manage these things.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Opening Your Private Messages:

A longstanding bug has been fixed in the new theme that will be applied to all old themes in due time - opening private messages. Since the new button layout came online, clicking the private messages button at the top navigation bar left me one of two choices - I could either open messages in the same window, or a new window, but not let the use choose which. Now I can.

The PM button now works like any hyperlink. Clicking on it opens it in the window you're currently in. OR you can right-click and select the "open link in new tab" option, or CTRL-click and have it open in a new tab, just like most links in most browsers.

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 03/03/14

Is that true of all the buttons up there? I had the same problem with the image box/ect. On my phone so cannot test.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

It is now, good idea. I made it true for the buttons that would make a difference, "New Posts", "Image Box" and "Find". The "You" button opens a modal dialog, and "Quit" logs you out, so those don't need it. The rest now work like the PM button does.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 03/05/14

Multiverse > Star Trek Online discussion
  • Down to five pages from six. :P I deleted several of my own posts in an effort to keep the thread less cumbersome. I deleted any posts related to sales, free costume/starship events, or out of date key-code giveaways. All of which were time/date specific and hadn't any replies from other posters.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 03/05/14

Dexterity Style Controls:

It's been brought to my attention, thanks to the ever-watching Psia, that the forum order and widget open/closed preferences you can set under the new theme have a tendency to go away after a time. I've looked into what was causing this, and I think I have it taken care of.

By design, the Raven SHOULD be remember your forum order preferences, as well as which widgets you like open and closed. What's been happening is that it might remember them for the night, but forget them the next day. This SHOULD stop being the case. If you still have issues with the site not remembering your position after tonight, please let me know.

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 03/07/14

This Will Not End Well thread:

Moved to Scrapbook, since it's better suited to that forum.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 03/11/14

Dexterity:

Topic reply and other buttons now work just like hyperlinks. IE - They can be opened in a new window like any link could be.

ShoutBox:

All advertisements should now be gone from the ShoutBox.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 03/27/14

Thumbnails:

Introducing the new Thumbnail tag, which allows you to place small versions of an image on a page. Click on the image, and it gets bigger, just like so:

Code

[thumb]https://www.raven-mythic.com/images/gallery/469/20110524T002238/images/c3HXaYVJCPfCcIE66tGDN13eQ947VKNfm7aeeG4pVZo.png[/thumb]

Multiple thumbnails can be placed side-by-side:

Put a space between the thumbnails, or they will be wedged up:

vs

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 04/05/14

Raven Host and Allies Banner Editor:

I have upgraded the banner editor/maker used by Raven members who have access to the host and allies section. For 99.9% of you, this will mean noting. But for anyone who uses the banner system, I think you will find it functions much more cleanly.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 04/05/14

RFN Picture Changer:

I have upgraded the RFN picture changer used by Raven members who have access to the host and allies section. For 99.9% of you, this will mean noting. But for anyone who is a RFN DJ, I think you will find it functions much more cleanly.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 04/17/14

Raven E-Mails Working Again:

With Google changes in security, e-mail notifications for new private messages, member signups, password changes, and so on, were not working. In days past, if someone sent you a PM, you got a notification in your conventional e-mail. That stopped working when Google enacted tougher e-mail protections. I've figured out what I need to do to work with that new system, and both the Raven and KOF web sites should now be properly sending out e-mails. I will be upgrading some of our festival sites as well in short order.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 04/18/14

Scifi Lovers > Posts from the Iron Throne
  • I removed posts with broken links to images hosted through a Facebook post. Unless the image is hosted in the Facebook user's album, images shared through a Facebook post only have a temporary Facebook address. Only when we keep that image enlarged or open in some way does the address remain valid. The moment we close the image or leave Facebook the temporary address in no longer valid. I've experienced this in Shoutbox a number of times.

Find the source page for that shared image. Retrieve that address to link here at the Raven.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 04/29/14

Raven Physical Network Upgrades:

In an attempt to boost the performance of the Raven servers, most of the relevant ethernet cables to and from our primary web server (Trixie) and RFN server (Cloudsdale) have been updated.

RFN Upgrades:

Cloudsdale, our RFN server is upgrading to the latest version of Ubuntu Linux today. Last night we broke a listenership record, thanks especially to the participation of a raid alliance in EQ2, and it's inspired me to make sure we're up to the task of supporting a large number of listeners.

Faydwer Faire Upgrades:

The Faywder Faire web site has been updated to the latest version of PHPBB and received a number of security and theming updates which should prevent the spam issues that have been annoying the staff there as they prepare for this year's run of the festival.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/28/14

SciFi Lovers > Multiverse
  • Moved a recently resurrected 2012 topic about a game to the currently appropriate forum for others to see as well.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 06/15/14

In the Inn & Out of It > Events
  • Moved in OOC event post to Events and fomatted it correctly. PM sent to poster with more details.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 06/27/14

RFN DJ Archive

RFN DJ's should note that the online storage system for RFN music is being regenerated. It will probably take all weekend to upload the several hundred megabytes worth of music stored in the archives. But, it will be up-to-date, which it hasn't been.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 07/04/14

RFN DJ Archive:

Service restored DNS expiration issue.

Knights of Freeport:

RFN Basic Mode: