Raven Mythic Change Log

Chat about anything and everything
Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Re: Raven Mythic Change Log

Post by Duvessa » 08/20/14

Forum Changes:

I have made some changes to the forums today, mostly in sort order and placement, in order to make the front page a smidgen less busy, and huge with the scrolling. Please take note of the new "subforums" listing, which will show important subforums under the main forum. Subforums with unread messages will be highlighted.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 08/21/14

Under the newer site, some event titles are just too long at the moment and mess with how the event list appears on our front page. Lyah is aware and looking into this not being a real problem. In the meantime, as they present themselves, I've edited down some event names here and there as needed. While attempting to not ruin their meaning.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 08/31/14

Multiverse > Neverwinter
  • Removed references to outdated promotions, key-codes. Edited for broken links and better Youtube videos.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Erithe
Dragon Bunneh

Post by Erithe » 09/03/14

Posting News and Videos:

Hello!

I have recently noticed a trend among our faithful posters! It is that, a good article or image is found, and it is posted, but the post itself may contain nothing but a link to the article or object of interest and, perhaps, a brief comment. Some of these are only two sentences in length or less, if there is no commentary.

They look a little like this:

I call this "Ninja Linking" because it's quick and dirty. Sadly, this is not really appropriate forum posting conduct. For those of us who might click the link at work, it gives us very little indication of what we're clicking. If it's a video, usually no comments are made and we have no idea what has been posted or if we might want to come back later to view the video.

The proper way to post an article, video, or blurb is as follows:
Title: BadAss Sailor Moon Redesigns

Link: https://io9.com/the-most-badass-sailor- ... 1619923281

((Grab a nice image from the article by right clicking it, selecting "view image" and copying the link and pasting it into the [img ] [/img ] tags.))

[ quote tag ]

((First two paragraphs or entire article. Just be sure to link back to it above.))

Sailor Moon and the Sailor Scouts have gone through their share of costume changes, but these tough, gorgeous, and just plain adorable fan redesigns go bit farther than we see in the comics, TV shows, and movies, giving us bikers, warriors, space adventurers, and punks all rooted in Usagi and her friends.

The top image of the Bōsōzoku Sailor Scouts is by Babs Tarr, who will be drawing the upcoming run of Batgirl and co-designed Batgirl's new look with Cameron Stewart. These gals also got their own group cosplay. [ /end quote tags ]

For a Video, comment something you think about the video and maybe give a brief overview (without spoilers) so we know what it is when we can't access YouTube.

Fair Warning, gently meant: If you post only links with brief commentary, I will occasionally come through and edit them into proper format, but it's starting to happen a lot more than usual, and I don't have time to do that.

What this does is help people to see what they're about to click and they can then make an educated decision if that's a good idea if they're at work. Also, for those limited by a firewall, posting the articles lets them read it from here when they can't access the source site. We post the link so that we're not stealing the info and it does track back. I always click links when I can b/c that's how you find cool news and information sources! But sometimes it's inconvenient depending on your circumstances. So, be a good poster! Remember, you're presenting information you think is cool to an audience!

If you need help with tag usage, let us know! We're glad to help! We want to help! We like you! So please help us help you and ask us when you need us.

*HUGS*
Eri

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 09/03/14

Forum Updates:
  • FAQs - All important Raven FAQs are now on the wiki, where they should be. We think this will make it much easier for you to find the information you need, and reduce the clutter of the main page some. A whole forum dedicated to ten topics that rarely changed just did not make a lot of sense.

Times, Best and Worst - The old Kudos forums has been re-purposed to hold birthday wishes, kudos, away notices, "keep me in your thoughts" posts, and so on. This was done as a way of splitting off more serious topics from the less-serious ones in "Banter".

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 11/12/14

RFN:

Some updates have been made to the Radio Free Norrath master page in the interests of readability and modernization.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 12/01/14

RMTV Upgrades:

RMTV's stream player has been significantly updated, it should load faster, and resize better than the previous version of the player, and be more compatible on Android devices than in the past. Still working on an iOS version of the player system!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 12/22/14

Events
  • Adjusted cancelled weekly events to not throw the days formatting off when viewed on the front page.
  • Deleted a Terminus weekly event which is no longer being hosted.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 01/14/15

Line Splitting in Pidgin!

IRC allows a maximum of about 440 characters per line of text. This can get very annoying when you’re trying to do a particularly long block of text and have to manually split the line apart. Previously, the only solution we had was to use a word count (see below), but there is now another alternative. Part of the “Purple Pidgin Plugin Pack” includes a “message splitter”, which will automatically split apart long blocks of text.

https://bitbucket.org/rekkanoryo/purpl ... /downloads

To install these plugins: Copy the contents of the bin folder in this zip archive to the bin directory created by the Pidgin installer (usually C:\Program Files\Pidgin\bin on 32-bit systems or C:\Program Files (x86)\Pidgin\bin on 64-bit systems).

Copy the contents of the plugins folder in this zip archive to the plugins directory created by the Pidgin installer (usually C:\Program Files\Pidgin\plugins on 32-bit systems).

Restart Pidgin, and go to Tools > Plug-Ins > Message Splitter > Configure Plug-In > And set the character limit to 440. Once this is done, you can now feel free to post that huge block of text.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 06/23/15

Raven Back Online:

The Raven is back online after a 10 hour power outage, no damage was suffered!

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Slipps » 06/23/15

*hugs* missed you!

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 08/21/15

Dark Citadel:

By the guild leader's request, the Dark Citadel website has been brought back online! Aside from just re-activating the site, I have upgraded it to the latest version of PHPBB, changed the style for the site, and purged it of all old spam. Additional spambot countermeasures have also been put in place.

https://darkcitadel.ravenfire.net/

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 08/21/15

Festival of Unity:

https://fou.ravenfire.net/

Site and banner icons have been updated, and the FoU team is hard at work prepping for launch starting Thursday, August 27th. Keep an eye open for further event announcements and watch the board calendar.

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 10/21/15

EQ2 > Community Roundtable
  • Deleted 18 multiple posts of the same new topic. Dunno why it happened. I deleted the unncessary duplicates.
OOC > Events
  • Edited new event topics which forced the front page event column into some bad formatting.

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 01/20/16

Site Caching:

A new ram disk has been added to the Raven which I believe will greatly increase the caching performance of the site. I think you will notice much faster load times on most web pages.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 02/06/16

Raven Upgrades:

The main server for the Raven has had some performance upgrades to try and address the "stuttering" issue we have were the site hangs for a while, and has to be reloaded. While we have gained some performance improvements, the central issue has yet to be solved. We're still working on that, alas.

That being new, I have two brand new SSD drives ready to replace our current disk drives. I also have a new ethernet card ready to go in. All of those should at least help with performance, though it's going to be a sensitive operation.

Amazon Virtual Server:

Over the last week we have had MASSIVE issues with our Amazon Computing Cloud instance, which I have finally fixed. A lot of it had to do with our instance being very old. We were an early adopted, and so many changes have taken place that the server was groaning under the weight of legacy systems Amazon barely supported.

I more or less had to rebuild the site from scratch, but we're back up, and better than ever!

Knights of Freeport:

https://kof.ravenfire.net - The Knights' web site is back up, and vastly improved. We have migrated it to PHPBB 3.1, and upgraded the theme of the site to my new flagship theme, which is designed to be a constant across all of the PHPBB web sites I manage. This will make upgrades and improvements a lot easier.

The Discipleship:

https://discipleship.ravenfire.net/ - The Discipleship web site is back up, and vastly improved. We have migrated it to PHPBB 3.1, and upgraded the theme of the site to my new flagship theme, which is designed to be a constant across all of the PHPBB web sites I manage. This will make upgrades and improvements a lot easier.

The Faydwer Faire:

https://https://www.faydwerfaire.com/ - The Faire web site is back up, and vastly improved. We have migrated it to PHPBB 3.1, and upgraded the theme of the site to my new flagship theme, which is designed to be a constant across all of the PHPBB web sites I manage. This will make upgrades and improvements a lot easier.

The Bloodmoon Festival:

https://bloodmoon.ravenfire.net/ - The Bloodmoon Festival web site is back up, and vastly improved. We have migrated it to PHPBB 3.1, and upgraded the theme of the site to my new flagship theme, which is designed to be a constant across all of the PHPBB web sites I manage. This will make upgrades and improvements a lot easier.

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TinweSaa » 02/06/16

Thank you!!! You rock!!

Melenie
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Melenie » 02/06/16

Thanks!! :mrgreen:

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TinweSaa » 02/07/16

YAY!! Love the new forum appearances!!

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 02/07/16

The Festival of Unity:

https://fou.ravenfire.net/ - The Festival web site is back up, and vastly improved. We have migrated it to PHPBB 3.1, and upgraded the theme of the site to my new flagship theme, which is designed to be a constant across all of the PHPBB web sites I manage. This will make upgrades and improvements a lot easier.

--

This now leaves only the Festival of Discord and Raven main site left to be upgraded.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 02/07/16

Prepping for the Upgrade:

For some time we have been planning a major upgrade of the Raven's core software. This is a long and painful process that is going to take some time to complete. As part of that process, I am moving around and editing some of the forums. In some cases, forums that have gone unused for more than a year have been deleted. In most cases, the posts have been saved. I am working now to re-gigger some of the forums into a more sensible formatting based on apparent popularity and use, and making changes accordingly. You can expect to see some things shift around now and then as the new organizational structure takes shape.

Duvessa
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Duvessa » 03/01/16

Hardware Update:

The Raven has been upgraded with a top-of-the-line 6 GB/s solid state hard drive, which replaces all previous drives in the system. This one drive alone should offer a vastly improved performance profile for the Raven.

Old Drive Specs:

New Drive Specs:

RAM Drive Specs:

Lyah
Owner of the Raven
Owner of the Raven

Post by Lyah » 06/01/16

ShoutBox:

Because of changes to the KiwiIRC code base, I had to make the ShoutBox open in a new window tab, instead of a pop-out. This is on their end, and nothing I can do for now, but will work on it.

Avith
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Avith » 06/02/16

Lyah wrote:ShoutBox:

Because of changes to the KiwiIRC code base, I had to make the ShoutBox open in a new window tab, instead of a pop-out. This is on their end, and nothing I can do for now, but will work on it.
Unfortunately the ShoutBox doesn't let me in from my client's computers today and I'm thinking anymore since this change it seems. Any suggestions?

Ijaka
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Ijaka » 06/02/16

I'm unable to connect using my desktop since this change. I've tried it on Chrome and IE so far. I get stuck at a Joining Channel message.

I'm still able to get in using my phone, and when I do I saw the names I was trying to join with listed in the shoutbox until I close the tabs.