Re: Slings and Arrows

Post by Slipps » 05/08/16

*cuddles*

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 05/12/16

12 years ago I was told I do not currently have any of the signs associated with MS and the tests they did, suggested I didn't.

A few days ago I was told that they might have been wrong. Typically it's a long diagnosis anyway and it wasn't an educated suggestion and I have not had any tests since, to prove one way or the other.

But I still don't like hearing it!

Ceela
Regular
Regular

Post by Ceela » 05/17/16

I have lost now a 4th friend whom I loved in less than a year. I don't make friends easily and I just can't.... I just can't anymore.

Morenin
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Morenin » 05/17/16

I have a sinus and ear infection, which is why I've been feeling so awful. *grumbles*

Morenin
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Morenin » 05/18/16

Got a B instead of an A for my final Anthropology grade. Not. Happy.

Lysa
Visitor

Post by Lysa » 05/20/16

So I failed one of the two classes that I needed to graduate and I got a c (admittedly a really high c) in the other...this sucks. I hope I can graduate in the summer at least...

I just really want to be out and doing something. I feel like a failure to my parents. :(

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Slipps » 05/20/16

Lysa,

If life has been rough for you this past semester, or the class/teacher not inspiring or connecting with the way you learn, then do not beat yourself up so hard.

If you truly slacked, did not pay attention, do assignments, attend class, well then this is another lesson for you. For once you are launched into 'adult life' a job is not going to treat you any better for those same habits.

Either way, good luck this summer!

*hugs*

Morenin
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Morenin » 05/29/16

D on my history worksheet. Stellar start to the new semester >< .

Morenin
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Morenin » 06/02/16

Depressed today. Actually, depressed this week.

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TinweSaa » 06/02/16

/hugs

Cyla
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Cyla » 06/02/16

I'm living in a very small hotel room alone with the babies for the next month while my husband works to repair the wildfire damage. It's going to be a long time before my life has any sort of normalcy again. To those I played with, don't expect me to be around much for a few months.

Rahfel
Resident
Resident

Post by Rahfel » 06/02/16

I think my dentist gave me a liiittle too much of the numbing stuff.
It was barely a 30 minute filling affair, and it ended just shy of 3pm. Now I'm sitting here at roughly a quarter past four and I still can't feel half of my dang face...plus I'm due to go get some Chinese at a buffet with the fam later.
HURRY AND GTFO, NOVOCAINE!!! I want my facial and oral functionality back!! D:

Tajar
Resident
Resident

Post by Tajar » 06/03/16

Meh, lasts for like 3 or 4 hours for me, but then I usually end up with the max dosage because my teeth are that sensitive >.< Like today. Except when it wore off, it really fucking hurt for a couple of hours too and I had to work :(

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 06/05/16

Slings to personal computing.

As those in ShoutBox can attest, my personal computer is dying a slow death. After many attempts to replace this or that component (video driver roll backs to power supply), it's down to the motherboard. The computer can't manage it's own heat well enough to operate at a predictable length of time. It simply shuts itself off. Like someone pulled the plug out of the wall.

While I bought a new mother board and memory to start anew, I now have the problem of no CD key for my Windows 7 installation. It came to me by way of a roommate. Who was studying computer science a few years ago. I was offered one key from his educational software bundle. I don't have it written down anywhere. And, apparently, he doesn't anymore either after this amount of time. Due to the source of this CD key, no programs are able to retrieve the key at all.

One idea was to simply allow the computer to upgrade to Windows 10. Acquiring a valid CD-key during the upgrade process. For later re-installation. The only flaw in that direction is that this computer will not operate smoothly enough to withstand that process without unplanned shutdowns.

This situation is no ones fault but my own. I simply have to endure until I can afford to be an original Windows OS owner. Something I've managed to avoid for my entire life as a Windows user.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Rahfel
Resident
Resident

Post by Rahfel » 06/06/16

Ended up crashing into a door earlier today...which earned me a little hospital visit.
I think my blood pressure and blood sugar rates just adore the idea of dropping spontaneously in order to mess with me.
They say that there aren't any signs of concrete diabetes so far, so I guess it's just the hypoglycemic crap acting up. -_-
Day has been stuffed in the garbage bin. So many things I had wanted to do...

Lysa
Visitor

Post by Lysa » 06/07/16

Ouch, I'm sorry!

Sibelle
Terminus Developer
Terminus Developer

Post by Sibelle » 06/09/16

Hyperventilating a bit. I just did my online check in for my flight tomorrow. I am seeing some people I haven't seen in 14-24 years as well as meeting someone I have been talking with regularly for a couple months. Not only is the flying and anxiety of flying already bad because I have to get prescription drugs to fly, I have a lot of emotional ties going on and..will be doing some artwork at the table IN FRONT OF OTHER PEOPLE which is just downright terrifying.

Scrattch
Resident
Resident

Post by Scrattch » 06/09/16

Terror is the sensation we get when the walls surrounding our comfortable rut(s) start cracking.

You will travel safely.
You will handle your fear just fine.
You will meet new friends and old ones.
You will rock out your artwork for people who appreciate what you do, and why you do it.
You will return better for the experience.

You can do it!

Inqe
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Inqe » 06/09/16

*hugs*

I have faith in you Sib, you will do wonderful!

Lillya
Resident
Resident

Post by Lillya » 06/09/16

Dear Wells Fargo.

Yes, we live in a country where when the single breadwinner has a 2 week long illness and misses work that there is no form of help from the government. Because you make too much money.

Yes, we got behind on our bills as a result of losing 2k in funds while my husband was suffering from acute kidney trauma due to dehydration from work and a bad, bad reaction to his blood pressure med and his RA med. Yes, he is doing better. Yes FMLA held his job for him, thank God and yes, it held our medical insurance. There is a good chance he will get short term disability for one of those weeks, but that has not happened yet.

Yes, we overdrue all of our accounts in that two weeks. Though I did everything I could to cancel incidentals like my kindle magazines and my rift subscription, and my 10.00 a month to rent photoshop, some things did bill out of both of our checking accounts. I am good, I am not that good.

Yes, I am thankful that you paid our car insurance. Thank you, even though it overdrue the account.

Yes, you were kind enough to let me accidentally draw 40.00 cash out of my checking account when it was overdrawn. Why I don't have a fucking clue, probably because you knew you would get overdraft fees.

It's been 3 weeks since my husband went back to work and we have had 2 full paychecks now. That means that most of the overdraft was taken care of. Three of the four accounts are at 0. You took all the money we had in the other accounts and applied it to the overdraft even though we told you it WOULD get taken care of Friday. We were told by your agent that you understood the situation. We were told everything was ok.

This means that the gas my husband bought to get to work on Monday AND my EQ2 sub were overdrawn. Not our fault this time. But still you smited us for the privilege of banking with you. I know that any large bank would do this, I know why it happened and I don't have to like it. Our money magically goes to you.

I am hungry today because I ran out of groceries a day before my husband gets paid. I have to deal with it. Because you took ALL of our money. Luckily this weekend we will be out of the red with you, and we will start paying down other debts.

Thank you Wells Fargo. It's a /pleasure/ to do banking with you.

Rahfel
Resident
Resident

Post by Rahfel » 06/10/16

This week decided not to play nicely.
It's been at least a solid year since I've hit this kind of an emotional low. I go from feeling super anxious and worrying about EVERYTHING for no reason to depressed and ready to faceplant in bed for the rest of 2016. Gawd. WTB a way to punch my disabilities and emotions in the face.
I'm tired. I'm aggressive for no reason. I'm overly-worried. Nothing feels good. My emotions won't leave me the frick alone...

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 06/10/16

More on the joy of personal computing.

My system of the past 5 years finally reached a point of no return. I took a few days to find any time to put to the task of building the new computer. Using new motherboard, new memory and short list of cannibalized components from the old system. What I was surprised to not have was a dvd drive compatible with new motherboard. No one I know had a spare one for the task. Suggestions to install the OS using a USB stick were common. The idea was a good one. Long story longer, this USB stick was going bad. So the installation of Windows didn't live up to standards. Nor could Windows find the driver needed to do its job. Even though everything was there.

We tested on each of the three hard drives in my case. Just to see if one would be usable at all? One was always the OS. A second was exclusively for game installs. And the third came from yet a previous computer. Which had no longer used OS. Which I never wiped and save documents and downloads to. It is there that I save back-up of passwords and bookmaarks prior the death of my computer this week.

a day later, I'm reminded of my bluray drive, which I had previously used as an external player. It fell into disuse when I inherited a real bluray for the television. Thus the standard method of installing the OS went smoothly. Finally.

There was progress until I noted the OS couldn't detect content of any kind on my document drive. Save a few folders from the older OS. We never formatted or altered the content of this drive. Just new OS on the main drive. Better still, no content whatsoever on the game install drive. Not all would require re-installs. Though I did expect re-installs for my online games.

I tried to use a free recovery program to dig out the missing files. Only to learn 90 minutes later, that I had to pay $65 to do the final step. With my pockets turned out, I chose to simply format both drives. All documents, bookmarks and passwords are now a thing of the past.
I may or may not be successful in recovering manually what was lost.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Lily
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Lily » 06/15/16

So... I have a work-at-home customer service job for the summer this year. I kind of like being able to work in my jammies. That's fun! It's an inbound call center, so I'm not having to make any calls. It's also a product that people actually need when they call us, so it's not hard to help them with whatever it is they're having problems with. Most of the customers are pretty cool. Occasionally, I get some that are really upset, and I let them rant for a couple of minutes before talking them down and getting to the heart of the matter. I get it. They're upset, and it's not at me. It's at the situation, but every once in a while, I get a real turd. I got one of those turds this week.

Since I can't really talk about the customers, I shall translate the conversation into grocery store terms.

Lady: Hi, can you give me a better rate on these apples than $.89/lb?
Me: If you've got a current ad from another grocery store with a better price, I can do a price match.
Lady: Well, what I was really looking for is $.59/lb because that's what they were last week.
Me: Last week, these apples were in season and on sale. That sale has ended and so has the season, but I can price match to another store to guarantee that you're getting the best rate on apples this week.
Lady: You see, I don't understand that. Why did the price have to go up? It's not like you have fewer apples this week than you did last week.
Me: Well, we have to pay more to ship them in from somewhere else, and with the holidays coming up, the demand for them has increased.
Lady: Last week, I got a better rate, and they gave me two apples for free. I was kind of wanting that again.
Me: I'm sorry, ma'am. I cannot give you two free apples, but I can price match.
Lady: You can't give me the two free apples?
Me: No, ma'am, I cannot.
Lady: I can't really buy these apples unless I know I'm getting two apples for free, especially at $.89/lb.
Me: I can talk with my manager and see what he says.
Me: *sends IM to manager*
Manager: *sends IM back* No, we can't give her two free apples. We can give her a best rate guarantee and price match, but we can't give them away.
Me: My manager says we can't give you two free apples. We can price match and guarantee you're getting the best rate we can offer on apples, but we can't give them away.
Lady: Last week, they gave me two free apples. I really need that again.
Me: I'm sorry, ma'am. I don't know why they gave you two free apples, but I can't do that. I can offer you the lowest rate for this week.
Lady: Well, if I'm not getting two free apples, then I won't buy these apples.
Me: I understand you won't buy these unless you can get two free apples, but these apples are out of season and may not be here next week. Are you sure you don't want to buy any?
Lady: If I can't get two of them for free, then no, I don't want to buy any.
Me: Thank you for coming to LilyMart. Have a nice day.

Lady, I don't know WHO taught you to negotiate, but you need to relearn your haggling technique. You can't just name some unreasonable figure and then refuse to give any ground. That's not how haggling works! I give a little ground (a rate guarantee and price matching, which would make it less than $.89/lb), and you give a little ground (settle for a price higher than $.59/lb and no free apples).

And it turns out that you didn't even want a better price! You just wanted free apples.

WHY would you demand the product FOR FREE?! Why?! We're a business. What makes you think we would just give away our product? Don't get mad at me because I can't give you EXACTLY what you want! Did you never stop to think that what you "want" is beyond the realm of possibility for me to give?

Ugh.

And people wonder why I'm so reclusive.

Tajar
Resident
Resident

Post by Tajar » 06/16/16

I understand that you want to help. But omg if you send me another pic of granny styled wedding shoes I'm going to scream.

Sairina
Practically Staff
Practically Staff

Post by Sairina » 06/20/16

Half arrow/half kudo...

Worked just late enough today to miss the 6:30 ferry and so have to catch the 7:30 boat, which means I won't be home until almost 9...

...but some random stranger was nice enough to pay for my ticket (free ride, yay!), which is a major plus as these boats ain't cheap.