Re: Name A Thing That Made You Happy

Post by Morenin » 08/14/16

Down almost a full 10 pounds!

Lily
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Lily » 08/14/16

This morning, I went through my weekly routine that I do every weekend before noon. It's Sunday. On Sunday, I dust, straighten the kitchen and living room, fold and put away the towels, make sure the kids all do their chores, and then sweep the floor properly afterwards so that I know it's been done properly at least once a week. (I have a list of things I do Saturday morning as well.)

I have to confess that I slacked on towels. I folded them two weeks ago and did not put them away. That stack stayed there, and people just grabbed towels to use as they needed them. Then someone piled clean towels on top of the folded ones last week, where I let them sit unfolded all week long. Today, I was sick of seeing the pile, so I folded them and put them all away.

Without me asking or even saying a word, my stepson cleaned his room, and my stepdaughter cleaned the bathroom. I didn't have to remind, plead, or bully. They just did it. Now, if I can only get the other two to catch on.

Lily
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Lily » 11/19/16

All my fabric and trim for this season's Faire has been approved, and I have glow-in-the-dark Darth Vader fabric for bloomers this year.
Life is good.

Rahfel
Resident
Resident

Post by Rahfel » 12/16/16

I am a happy birb because my first ever quarter of college went really well. Got all A's and one B and passed all my finals, and the fam is threatening to take me out to eat. ;v ;

Morenin
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Morenin » 12/19/16

My university called me this morning; substitution forms went through for two classes, so I am now graduating in the Spring!!

Morenin
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Morenin » 01/03/17

Down 10 pounds after work! Gogo gadget New Year!

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Post by Psia » 05/09/17

Today, at work I received what probably one of the best compliments I've ever received.

I suppose you could call her a long-time customer acquaintance. A regular customer of my current job, with whom I had been acquainted with from a previous job. I hadn't seen her in some time and was sure to smile and say, "Hello!" in one of my many, brisk passings. She paused for my attention. To remind me of an exchange we had about four years ago.

The conversation had gone much like this:

I had taken pause to say "Hello, are you finding what you need?"

"Oh, no. I don't want to bother anyone. I can see you are busy."

I replied, "Well. Yes. We are. However, don't be shy about asking for help anyway. If we can't help immediately, we at least know you need assistance and can follow up."

"No, no. I just hate bothering people for help."

I've always been aware of customers who are pleased to be noticed. Those who simply can't be bothered to ask for help. And brush off assistance from the peons. Then there are those who really do want the help. But are too embarrassed to admit it. She was most certainly the later of the three.

I replied, "Don't be ashamed of not knowing where something is here. It's just too big a store. It's okay to ask us for help. It's what we are here for."

I do recall this was an "Aha" moment for the customer. She got the assistance that she needed. She thanked me and went about her way.

Today, this same customer approached me. *YEARS LATER* She recalled the previous conversation with me. After a moment, I recalled it as well. She went on to share with me that because I told her that it was okay to ask for help. she later asked a doctor for help about something that ailed her. Something which bothered her for a long time and she had resisted asking about. She was treated successfully and is now better able to get around.

I think that was a bit of 'the deer caught in headlights' moment as she went on to tell me that I had seriously impacted her life. Of course, I thanked her for taking time to share that with me. The customer went about doing her shopping. And I went back to other work.

It's taken me all day to process what happened. I mean, this goes so beyond work. I think that I'm kind of mind blown.
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Inqe
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Inqe » 05/10/17

I need a like button for Psia's post. :)

Rahfel
Resident
Resident

Post by Rahfel » 05/13/17

Things that I heave realized, courtesy of being approximately one year older (as of today):
- 3 hour waits in DMVs are apparently standard protocol...even if it is just get a piece of rectangular plastic remade (plus a $50 fee for doing so, goddamn Americans and daylight robbery)
- I have learned that I am never going to be old/"mature” enough to resist the seductive, snacky allure of vending machines
- One can in fact, purchase some srs fukn liquor from grocery stores (our local Fred Meyer had quite a selection, I was impressed.)
- I'm ready to get schnockered at my favorite pizza place/bar later!
- Nothing wakes me up more than a family member offering to buy me a 2kg bag of good quality gummy bears.

Anubisse
Patron
Patron

Post by Anubisse » 05/19/17

The fact that just yesterday, we received a call that they should reach a decision about my social securrity disability case by next week! Hopefull y a good decision at that ! :D