Postcards from Norrath [Open]

Ongoing roleplay and fiction.
Amelianne
Visitor

Postcards from Norrath [Open]

Post by Amelianne » 04/08/18

A letter addressed from Mara arrives at the homes and businesses of various people throughout Norrath that Amelianne has befriended over the last seven or eight months. The faint scent of sandalwood drifts from the paper, as if she'd been burning incense nearby when she wrote it. The loose elegant scrawling lines that Amy calls handwriting are not difficult to make out, and the letter itself, dated yesterday afternoon, is fairly brief.

My Dear Friend,

I have been sent on a journey in addition to the errant quest I was given by my captain and officers. I will be gone a few days. I am not sure how long a few days will be, but this will be good for me. I did not want to worry you while I was gone. I will miss your company while I am away, and I will try to write more when I am able.

With warm regards,

Duchess Amei Lyehnn Lightbrand

((OOC: I sat down to write letters to all of Amy's friends who might wonder where she was if she vanished for a week, and... quite simply... there were far too many to write in one night. That shy, private story teller sure does make a whole lot of friends! This is my solution: one general letter where everyone can read it. Amy will be sending "postcards" to various individuals while she is away, and those postcards will be posted here.

Responses from other characters as the journey goes on, might also be found here:
http://vagabondknights.gamerlaunch.com/ ... 2#39784160))

Amelianne
Visitor

Re: Postcards from Norrath [Open]

Dear Mr. Demaste,

I decided that I would go to Everfrost first on my journey. I’d forgotten how much the cold disagrees with me, and last night it did get very cold. Perhaps I had too much on my mind when I ventured out here and lost track of my path. I got a little lost, but some settlers found me and brought me to their camp to warm up. They assured me that I would be fine. They also sold me some warm furs to wear while I’m out here. I still feel far too cold. It just kind of seeps into my bones and makes me feel like I will never be warm again.

This morning, before the sun rose, one of the settlers took me to a cliff overlooking a valley. It was very dark, but when the sun finally began to rise, it made the snow sparkle like starlight. It was a shimmering as far as the eye could see, and then the sun hit the valley beneath us. There were crystals of ice down there in all that blackness, and when the light hit them, they glowed and sparkled. The light reflected off of them and shone through and made the entire valley glow.

I can see why people want to be out here in this cold now. It is beautiful. Was your home like this?

With warm regards,

Amelianne
Visitor

Dear Miss Kaennara,

I wanted to thank you for taking the time to speak to me before I left yesterday. I don’t think I say thank you enough to the people who mean so much to me. I went to Everfrost, but I stayed out in the cold too long last night. Some settlers came to my aid before I realized that I needed help, and I spent the day today watching them spend time with each other.

They are all so honest and open. They do not try to twist other people’s words to say something it does not. They do not look for hidden meanings that aren’t there. They are so direct and speak so plainly. It is comforting to see that.

I hope you and Mr. Ithael are well. How is your pregnancy going? I have so many questions for you, but I shall save them for later.

Thinking of you,

Amelianne
Visitor

Post by Amelianne » 04/10/18

Dear Mr. Qataur,

I’ve just realized that I have no idea where to send this postcard. You probably never received my letter that I will be traveling for a while either. Hopefully someone will see this to its proper owner.

I decided to visit Kunzar Jungle while on my travels. I must confess that I chose the location for its warmth, but while there I saw so many things that have me curious, and I thought you might know the answers.

There is this wall just outside of Sebilis that looks like an aqueduct, but there is no water in it. Is it a wall or an aqueduct? Where is the water? Some of the buildings have these beautifully detailed carvings in them. I know some carvings tell stories. What stories do these tell? Have the iksar always ridden sokokar? There is this giant water wheel at the lake, but it does not appear to be attached to anything that might serve a purpose. Why is it there? Truly the iksar must be very ancient, judging by the buildings I’ve seen.

With much sincerity,

Amelianne
Visitor

Dear Miss Eilien

Today I traveled to Maj’Dul for the first time, and I thought of you as I passed through the desert. The city is beautiful. Yes, I know it has its dangers and ugly spots as well, but the city itself is beautiful.

Everything they’ve done seems to have been done with an eye for aesthetics. The doors and buildings are lined with colorful tiles. The screens have ornate designs on them. Even the patterns made by all the bright colors they use show an eye for detail and geometry. It’s like they’ve turned their city into a towering flower overlooking the desert.

The people are also interesting. Like with any city, there are a wide range of personalities, but the contrast between the impoverished and the wealthy seems particularly stark in Maj’Dul. In spite of that, they live their lives with a passion that I find admirable. Have they always lived like this?

Also, I’ve decided that riding a flying carpet is fun. I think I would like to ride one of these again.

Your friend,

Amelianne
Visitor

Dear Miss Piffy,

While I was in Maj’Dul, I saw the most interesting feathers. They were huge with what looked like bright dots of color on the end, almost like an eye. One of the merchants had taken a collection of smaller feathers in similar colors and turned them into a duster for cleaning. I thought of you when I saw it.

Perhaps Mr. Neolan will know what bird those large feathers come from. How is he doing, by the way? Is he eating enough? Getting enough sleep? I think of him frequently, and I’m often concerned for his health, but I know that you take good care of him.

Also, I heard a rumor that the boy band you spoke of during our sleepover will be performing in Maj’Dul soon. I remember that you said you liked them very much.

Thinking of you,

Amelianne
Visitor

Dear Mr. Eregis,

I know we have not spoken much, but I remember that you were very friendly when I met you and that you also run an academy. I hope everyone is doing well and that there have been no further attacks.

I traveled to Maj’Dul today and visited the Tower of the Moon. They have this giant device at the top of the tower that allows them to gaze up at the stars closer than you could on land. They also showed me a constellation in the night sky, and I wondered what other constellations there might be.

Do you perhaps have a book at your academy that covers constellations? Might I read it when I return from my travels?

Thank you for your time,

Amelianne
Visitor

Post by Amelianne » 04/11/18

Dear Mr. Melago,

I traveled to Kelethin today, and I tried learning Faerlie, the operative word there being “tried.” I think my instructor was more interested in playing pranks than he was in actually teaching me Faerlie. He had me all over Kelethin speaking with my tongue sticking out. I will confess to being amused by this. In the end, I walked away knowing as much of the language as I did when I began, which is to say none at all.

You were right about the flowers in the Faydark. They are beautiful. The gourds that grow on the vines out here are very large. If it weren’t for the problem of rotting, I bet they would make lovely homes. I read a story that the vines are part of brambles that Queen Saphrina and the Fae built around Kelethin to keep it safe before the second Rallosian war.

I like the little drakes with the fairy wings. In fact, all the wings on both the fae drakes and the Fae themselves are very beautiful. The light shimmers on them so beautifully when they flutter.

By the way, your prank on Bristlebane’s Day was funny.

With warm regards,

Amelianne
Visitor

Dear Mr. Neolan,

I visited the Faydark today, and I took time to honor Firiona Vie at her shrine. I also saw New Tunaria. The city is beautiful, but the people are very… insular? Small minded? Xenophobic? They remind me much of my own people in their religious zeal.

It is sad to see such hatred and ignorance in the name of faith, and I wonder how they got to be like that. What was the turning point that they reached to make them this way? When did they lose sight of what was truly important in life?

I wonder how you are doing. It has been some time since I’ve seen you, and I worry about your health. Are you eating? Are you getting enough sleep? Are you at least getting out more often now? Sunlight is very important to your mental and physical health. Please make sure you’re getting enough.

Thinking of you,

Amelianne
Visitor

Dearest Valorie,

That thing you were worried about happening… It happened while I was admiring the way the light shimmered on the wings of the fae drakes, but do not worry. I was in a safe place, and I am uninjured. I know you were worried about me traveling alone for this very reason, and you were right. I promise I shall not journey alone again after this mission, and I will come home soon.

I wish you could have seen the trees out here, or perhaps you already have. You have traveled more than I have. They are so tall! I climbed one of them today, and the view of the Faydark was stunning, but there was one area that brought with it terrifying memories.

Remember the voices I told you about when I was in that jar? The ones I could not understand but I knew they were looking for me? I hear them every night in my dreams, and I do not think I will ever be able to forget them. I heard those voices near this dark obelisk in the Lesser Faydark. It made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. I think shall avoid that area in the future.

Your sister,
Amelianne

Amelianne
Visitor

Post by Amelianne » 04/13/18

Dear Mr. Gotrak,

I traveled to Maldura today to see the dwarven city. They have a giant forge outside of their city that is probably as big as their city, and another forge inside the city that takes up an entire room. Two rooms really, if you count where the gnemlins tinker with their gadgets. It’s fascinating. There’s also a bar at the center of the city with these glowing mushrooms. The ale there is good.

I am curious. Besides the coldain, the dhalgar and the dwarves I see in Qeynos, how many different kinds of dwarves are there? I like these dhalgar. They’re a lot like you. They’re very gruff, but I can tell they care on the inside.

And yes, I am being careful. I shall return to Qeynos soon, and I promise to be careful around strangers.

Sincerely,

Amelianne
Visitor

Dear Mr. Wokune,

Today I traveled to Thalumbra, and explored the caverns. They’re massive! They have these giant mushrooms with long glowing wisps trailing from the edges, and the flowers! There are these large red and purple flowers that grow outside the city that are bigger than I am. I wanted to take a clipping of them home with me, but I wasn’t sure how I’d get it home.

I also toured the city of Maldura. Their forge outside the city is as big as the city itself, and there’s this library full of books that I want to come back to read some time. I don’t think I’ve ever seen so many books in one room! At the center of the city is a bar with more of those glowy mushrooms and a stage with a band that performs on it all the time.

I’m enjoying this mission, but as I travel, I find myself missing my friends. How are you doing? I’ve been worried for you ever since I met your uncle. I know he is your family, but I still don’t like him. I hope they haven’t bothered you too much.

Thinking of you,

Amelianne
Visitor

Dear Miss Slipps,

You sent me on this mission to find joy, and I did travel. I found things of great beauty and wonder, and I have also found darkness, both of them side by side. I‘ve met so many people and heard their stories and tried to learn lessons from each of them.

I have come to this simple conclusion. My joy is right here at home with all my friends.

I enjoy running through the forest with my beloved. I enjoy picking out dresses with my friends. I enjoy gardening with my sister. From learning how to play frisbee with Miss Kaennara and Mr. Ithael to discussing boy bands at my very first slumber party with Miss Piffy, from singing slightly inappropriate tavern songs with Mr. Wokune, Mr. Demaste, and Miss Nimyrien to discussing the freshness and uses of food ingredients with Mr. Serrest… every moment of that time is precious to me, and I cherish it.

That is where joy truly can be found, and I think I always knew this. I just allowed others to drown out what I knew deep inside. I don’t think I should allow others to silence my inner voice anymore.

Respectfully,

P.S. I did write new stories, one for each place I visited.