Truths and Deceptions (Open)

Ongoing roleplay and fiction.
Ravynya
Patron
Patron

Re: Truths and Deceptions (Open)

Post by Ravynya » 02/29/16

There is a loud, almost echoing knock at the door of the Vice Commander’s Freeport home. Upon opening the door, a ghost floats in the doorway. It moans and shrieks in agony and eventually says, “The Keeper of Secret guards the gateway to the land of fire from the Darkened Wood.” It continues to moan, shriek, and repeat the single statement.

Tajar
Resident
Resident

Post by Tajar » 03/01/16

This ghost was not going to leave her alone. It continued it's wails and cries even as she told Ivanson to round up her parents and take them and the children to the fortress. It was far from complete, but it was safe. Ivanson complained, saying that she should come too, but she was not going to take any chances that the ghosts master was going to find her secret home. She assigned some guards to watch over them until they got there, then left the house with the ghost on her tail.

She strode through Freeport, leaving a trail of screams in her wake from some of the more easily scared citizens. Once out of the gates and the anti-flight enchantment left her, she took to the air and flew due North. The ghost was never far behind. It wasn't long before she was flying through land that was both familiar and not. The Rending had shattered her home, but there was still some recognisable landmarks. She landed lightly near the gateway.

The ghost suddenly took off. Tajar frowned, not because she missed its incessant wailing, but because it seemed to be a sign that she was where she was meant to be and that something was coming. And she was right. She tapped her badge, opening the comms.

"All available Knights report to Nektulos Forest... I'm going to need back up."

Ravynya
Patron
Patron

Post by Ravynya » 03/01/16

They carefully laid out the bones under the Matriarch's scrutiny. Each one heavily engraved with runes and well preserved. The soul in the jar she held moaned and roared. “Thraxxus,” her voice was a whisper carried on the voice of the dead. There was silence from the jar. “Centuries ago you were punished for your failure to follow Hatred. Your punishment was mine to mete out until you returned to your Path or Oblivion took you. I am no longer in need of your service. With tonight's final task, you are released. Fight worthy of the house you serve.”

The assassin watched the area carefully. The Knights were cavalry and highly trained. To most of them, Nektulos Forest posed no threat and offered few surprises. It would not be long before they arrived. He wanted her out of here already, but Mother moves in her own time much to everyone's chagrin.

“Thee I invoke, Hatred's Will. Whom no man has seen. Thou art the Terrible and Invisible: Who dwells in the Void Place of the Spirit. Come Thou forth, so that every Spirit of the Firmament, and of the Ethernere: upon the land and under the land: in the Water: of whirling Air and of rushing Fire may have voice.” The shadows swell and boil as the temperature in the general area becomes cold as the grave. “I am Necromancer. Born by own hand. Corruptor of Illusions. Embodiment of Willl. Manifestation of Hatred. Creator of Destruction. Resurrecting in cold light of Truth, through which all exists. I command you to rise and serve in this Sacred Working of the Will.” She tossed the glass soul jar at the layout of bones chattering it and releasing the soul trapped inside. Thraxxus roared and wailed.

The necromancer continued to chant in strange and ancient tongues. The ground shook almost violent as Thraxxus and a small horde of undead rose from the ground. The red tear drop jewel set in Thraxxus’ forehead glinted in the moonlight. The enormous ogre skeleton roared and smacked the Corrupted Sword of Marr against Freeport Militia Captain’s Shield. He thrust his sword into the air and led his skeletal platoon toward the defunct passage to the Lavastorm in Nektulos Forest.

“Mother…” Thaydryn drew the Matriarch’s attention to the portals the twin Arasai had opened. Without further word, they all stepped through the portals going in different directions.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

You want to be a part of what happens next… Come join us!

Morenin
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Morenin » 03/02/16

As Morenin and his family enjoy a pleasant meal the smell of smoke begins to waft toward them. In mere moments, the blaze threatens to engulf the living room of their Freeport home and spread.
*Lolly's nose twitches, and she looks confused as the smoke permeates her thoughts, but doesn't appear to do much more than that*
*Morenin looks up with alarm, rising and grabbing their son right out of his seat* "Lolly, move, we need to get out of here!"
*Lolly stands, gaping a little, but nods* Where?
"The front door before the living room is lost! MOVE!" The last is barked in his command voice, as he starts running for the door, shielding Trastan from the fire.
*Lolly dashes after him, and apparently she has learned something about speed as she keeps up with him*
*Morenin finds the door warping from the fire, lowers his shoulder and slams into it once, twice, before the hinges give way and he stumbles out into the street*
*Lolly darts through the doorway right after him, heading to the other side before turning to see what's happening*
The first floor is quickly engulfed as they gape, before the Militia arrives to pull them aside and try and keep the fire from spreading.
“ I...” *Lolly looks dazed* “How did that happen?”
*Morenin puts an arm around her as he sets the crying Trastan down* "I'm... not sure. I suspect magic... from the same person who threatened me and used Trastan.”
*Lolly pulls Trastan close to her and leans into Morenin* “But...why? Haven't they done enough?”
*Morenin looks grim* "Apparently not... We're going to the Rock. You'll be
*Lolly frowns* But...what about work?
"I’ll ask the commander to speak to your superior." He tries to talk wife and son towards the Third Calvary's fortress.
*Lolly goes, but her frown deepens* “What are we going to do about this?”
"I am going to find and kill whoever did this. But I need you to keep Trastan safe, so he won't be hurt while I'm gone. All right?"
*Lolly sighs and sounds reluctant* “Alright. I'll make sure that he stays safe, and you go kill them. But if you need ideas about how to kill them...I have lots.”

Inqe
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Inqe » 03/03/16

The blond singer watched the petite Teir carefully measure out the herbs into the scale. This one was tiny and made with a jewelers precision to detail, her precision to be exact.

Inqe's lips curved slightly into a smile as the scale balanced. "Beautiful." She breathed, then laughed as the scale moved once more. "It can measure a breath?" She looked up at the Ratongess with approval. "Your skills astound me, Slipps."

Slipps shook her head. "Thens Enjoys musts astounds yous toos, hers helpeds tos makes its." A neatly manicured claw pointed at the scale. "I makes parts, hers puts togethers."

"Then you both are brilliant, this will greatly help with measuring out precise amounts of medicinal..." The Teir's voice dropped and she paled. "No!" Inqe whipped around and she glared out into the forest of Kelethin, though to Slipps what the healer was staring at was an entirely different set of trees.

"Missy? Whats is its?" Slipps hopped down from where she was perched, a hum starting deep in her throat as she touched her friend-sister, trying to determine what had riled the woman. What she felt was an ache of something wrong, a discordant note, but she was not Teir, and this was not something that her own magic could discern. "Missy?"

"My necklace, the Blood of Ki'Thas, someone is using it in a profane manner." Inqe's light violet eyes broke from her stare to look down at Slipps, and she shuddered. "The stone is a focus, we have used it to heal for centuries, not to raise..."

Slipps ears flicked forward "Raise? Raise whats? Wheres?" She looked in the direction Inqe had, but in her mind, through her connection to the other woman, it was not the lush green of Faydark that lay before her eyes. The forest looked darker, more ominous, or was that merely an illusion? She shook her head.

"I do not know, exactly, the stone is not sentient, it just is tied to my bloodline. It cannot see, or speak, all I can do is feel it." She looked back out. "That way, far away, and not to the purpose it was created."

"Yous saids raise? Likes a deads? Whats stones does? Heals?" Slipps dropped her paw from Inqe though her deep thrumming did not stop.

Inqe sighed. "The stone, ruby, though our stories indicate otherwise, is imbued with healing magic. The women of my blood, the Healers, have used it to focus their magical skills since the very first Ki'Thas to wield it." She rubbed her forehead. "She was the only daughter of our founder, a Druidess. My mother is a daughter of the mage line from the younger son, but my father was born of her line." Inqe started to pace as she explained. "I inherited it through him, Pynne gave it to me, not Melidran's mother as he and his father are from the warrior line."

Slipps shook her head. "Nos wonders yous keeps records ofs familys, is as bads as 'tongas sometimes. Cousins, bloods cousins alls matings."

"I am Nerian, Slipps, the family lines not all that many when the Queen cut us off." Inqe snorted, then looked out the window again. "Whomever took my necklace must have known what we used it for, or deduced it once it was in their hands."

The singer considered this a moment. "Inqes... Whats wills its does?"

Inqe said the words softly. "It will try to heal whomever it was laid upon, or is wearing it."

Slipps nodded then reached up to fiddle with one of the colored gem earring she wore, then turned away humming once it softly chirped.

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TinweSaa » 03/03/16

The LC paused as they made their way through West toward the Militia house. She listened quietly to the information being shared with her. This was the second such pause for the evening. The Hussars all looked at one another not privy to whatever conversation was happening as it was not through the badge. The look on her face rolled through a myriad of emotions before settling on a neutral mirthless. She spoke very quietly, “Thank you.” She then activated her badge, “Vice Commander… Dame Ki’Thas’ ruby is being used for profane workings. I presume it is related to your present situation. It will heal whoever it is touching.” She paused for a moment, “I also discovered my father’s tower shield missing from the Tinwe`Saa home. I am not sure if that matters in this situation. You are in command, Vice Commander. I cannot miss or leave this meeting. Remember… If I advance, follow me. If I fall, avenge me. If I retreat, kill me. Strength in Unity, Vice Commander.” She urged her steed forward and made her way to the Militia House.

Tajar
Resident
Resident

Post by Tajar » 03/03/16

Tajar was up in a tree, watching the small army approach the gate when she heard the LC's message. Her brow furrowed slightly with the final refrain. She knew it of course, but it was rarely spoken.

The ruby in question was glinting in the forehead of one of the undead below, the apparent leader of group. The shield too looked familiar, not because she had ever been in Arquenniel's house, but for the design on it. She knew the LC's father had been in the Militia. She looked at the sword, again familiar, though usually hanging at Lt N'Tal's side.

So far it had only been herself, Inqe and Morenin targeted. She could not see anything that belonged to her, but then it had the LC's shield. Apparently only she got the messenger though.

Quietly she glided off her perch in the tree, and headed back towards the docks where the Knights would convene.

Tajar
Resident
Resident

Post by Tajar » 03/05/16

((The battle was RP'd on Friday night in game!))

As the others dispersed and Crataegus went off to return the ruby to Inqe, Tajar stood over the remains of the skeleton. She crouched down and lifted the shield. She studied the runes engraved on the bones, but apart from noting that they were very old, and of Thexian origin, she could not read them. She looked to it's hand and prised the corrupted blade from it. Her cheek still smarted from the blow she had received from it, which would have taken off her head had she not managed to move. Still, it had marked her. As had the creature that had wielded it. It had called her Fallen. It had been intent on her the whole battle.

She only knew one person who called her Fallen, and was not shy about doing so either. But what did the others have to do with it? Morenin was a distant cousin, but Inqe was no relation to her. And the Lady Commander was not Tier at all.

Tajar sighed and stood up. She tapped her badge and returned to the Rock to write her report.
Date/Time: Darkday, Weeping 1, of the year 3967
Location(s): Nektulos Forest.

Written By: Vice Commander Tajar Eb'Udae

Guilds Involved: Knights of Freeport
Individuals Involved:
Vice Commander Tajar Ub'Udae
Knight Crataegus Smallcorners
Knight Akirri Ki'Re
Squire Andero (Parley) Fletcher
Patriotic Citizen Tapuj
Citizen Jetamyo Wolfheart
Citizen Camjager
Citizen Malicce
Citizen Iahild

Summary of Event: Upon following my ghost to Nektulos Forest, it led me to the far north where the forest used to meet Lavastorm. There waiting was a small undead army, the leader of which was wearing items stolen from Dame Inqe Ki'Thas, Lt Morenin N'Tal and Lady Commander Arquenniel Tinwe'Saa. I requested back up and met them at the Docks. The gathering of undead had attracted other citizens too, and they joined us in head back to fight them.

When we arrived, we were set upon by the skeletons. Most of them were weak, falling easily, but the leader was far more powerful, and with the added bonus of having the Ki'Thas ruby which heals those wearing it. While there were a good few of us present, this skeleton seemed intent on me specifically. It took all of our combined might to bring it down and retrieve the stolen items. I gave the ruby to Knight Smallcorners to return to it's owner, and will return the other two items myself.

There were two injuries, myself being one, and Knight Smallcorners the other. Neither are serious and there were no fatalities.

Additional Notes: I would recommend Commendation for all involved.

Baxter
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Baxter » 03/06/16

Baxter approached the restrained criminal slowly, the bone extended outward held by the tongs. He mentally noted the mans reaction with every step he took, but was slightly disjointed that nothing happened until he touched the bone against the man himself. Instantly the man turned nauseous and began to lash out though the restraints kept him from actually being able to do any damage.

Baxter backed off quickly but smiled and turned to Bellarene, "Did you sees thats? I believes we know the effective distance."

Bellarene
Visitor

Post by Bellarene » 03/06/16

While jotting down some notes, Bellarene remarked "Yes, it would seem so far that nearly direct contact is required. I say nearly because clothing obviously provides no protection." The Squire thinks a moment, and continues, "Sir, might I suggest a test to see if heavier armor provides any protection? We can strap a leather vambrace onto one of the prisoner's arms, and a plate vambrace onto the other arm, and repeat the test on each."

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TinweSaa » 03/07/16

The LC leads a small contingent of Knights to the compound. The circumstantial evidence was overwhelming, but the fact political asylum was in place made this tricky. There had to be hard evidence or a confession. The latter would never happen. As she told her sister, she anticipated a stare down and to remind Her Ladyship the terms of political asylum in Freeport. The guards assigned to the building all came to attention upon arrival. Their Captain provided the LC with the report. The report was more or less inconsequential. No had seen Lady Ryujin exit or enter recently though other members went about their day as usual. The LC called dismount and did so. She walked up the stairs and knocked solidly on the door.

Jetamyo
Regular
Regular

Post by Jetamyo » 03/07/16

As promised, Jetamyo had dug out her old uniform and rode alongside the Knights. Inqe had preferred it that way, so as to not link Jet to her, and the LC had not objected. Since her retirement, her hair had returned to its wild mess, long waves with feathers, leaves, and even some small gems braided into it. But she had managed to tie it up into a messy bun and looked as though she had never left.

She glanced over at Tajar, who rode in silence behind the LC. The dragon-touched Tier stared right ahead, eyes fixed on the compound they were approaching. The LC exchanged words with the Captain before calling for a dismount. Jetamyo swung a leg over the saddle of her stag and slipped off, landing lightly on her feet. She fell in line behind the others as the LC knocked on the door.

Maethor
Visitor

Post by Maethor » 03/07/16

*Maethor looked around and up as he dismounted and waited for the Commander.*

*The report sounded normal, but the habit of looking for traps and hidden assailants was well ingrained. Especially if the Lady in question was breaking her parole and attacking the Knights.*

*He leans over to Jetanyo. and says in a quiet voice.* "Knight Wolfheart? Any sign of portal magic?"

Jetamyo
Regular
Regular

Post by Jetamyo » 03/07/16

Jetamyo shook her head to Maethor's question. No, there were far worse things than portal magic she could feel, but the Knights were far more tolerant of Necromancy than she ever could be.

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TinweSaa » 03/07/16

The LC knocked on the door once more. When there was no answer she used the key she had in her possession. She pushed open the door. The light shown across the floor revealing an empty foyer except for a small splotch of coagulated blood. The rest of the compound was empty as well.

Inqe
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Inqe » 03/11/16

The place made Gus twitch, or perhaps is was the fact that Jet rode in their ranks? He thought about this a moment then decided it was not the Druidess,though he kept a wary eye out for any lightening casting. It was definitely the feel of the empty house, never the less when the LC snapped the order to search the place, he willingly set out to examine every square foot with the other knights on the detail.

Unlike some of his compatriots, he did more than just glance into empty rooms, he walked in, and looked at the floors,the walls, even the ceiling. How much dust was there? Were there any stains? Holes? Debris? Scrapes? Some may have thought him slow, more rather he was thorough. The Ratonga also took note of any scents he found along the way, writing down everything in a notepad he carried. He did not fear the Commander would leave him behind, he was not one that had to have her eye on him every moment to continue his work. If she left, he would catch up. If there was something here harmful, well, he was a Knight of Freeport after all, it would be dealt with.

Preferably without the inside of his armor needing to have soot scrubbed out of it.

Tajar
Resident
Resident

Post by Tajar » 03/15/16

The string of expletives that left Tajar's mouth could have made the most sea hardened ruffian blush, though she did well to keep most of it in muttered tones. She was here on duty, and would wait until later to destroy something or someone. The others had fanned out to search the compound, but it was the blood that had her interest. She pulled a small samples kit from her belt pouch and scraped the coagulated blood into a vial and sealed it. She slipped it into a pocket before scanning the room for any more blood splotches. She then stalked off to join the others searching.

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TinweSaa » 03/15/16

It quickly becomes clear that the compound had stood more or less vacant. The dust in the rooms was undisturbed and untouched. A minor bit of magical probing would reveal the remaining traces of teleportation magic. It is clear no one lived in the compound. It was used as a teleport location to make it look like they were living there. The LC glowered angrily as she waited for the Knights to finish investigating. Once they were gathered back up, they returned to The Rock. The LC has some paperwork to do to have the political asylum that was given revoked.

Baxter
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Baxter » 03/15/16

Baxter nodded. "Yis squire, go to the armoury and brings mes back a bracer, we'll tests that nexts."

Hitting the button on his badge he spoke again "Commanders Tinwe'Saa. I's believes i haves founds an effective ways to handle the artifacts ands it's effectives range. I's also have a theorys on hows to destroys or neutralize its but unfortunatelys i will needs the assistance of lady Slipps."

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TinweSaa » 03/15/16

Eyes her badge, "Granted, LT Cheeseeater."

Bellarene
Visitor

Post by Bellarene » 03/28/16

Bella went to the armory as ordered, and selected 2 human-sized bracers, one plate and one leather, then returned to MMRD with them.

Once she returned, she went straight to the prisoner and fastened the 2 different bracers to his wrists. "The prisoner is ready for the next round of testing, Lieutenant."

Baxter
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Baxter » 04/04/16

The one eyed ratonga smiled at the squire's return. "Tells me squire, before we begins again, haves you chosen a units to serves yet?"

Bellarene
Visitor

Post by Bellarene » 04/15/16

((Sorry about the delay responding))

Bellarene shrugged at the question. "I suspect the choice of where I best fit in will be made by ranks much higher than mine. But overall, I think I'd prefer MMRD. Quiet research to find needed answers appeals to me." Meanwhile, even though Harkin was gagged, the prisoner was doing all he could to make this particular research anything but quiet...

Baxter
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Baxter » 05/02/16

((I just remembered i acedently closed the page before i clicked post last month, sorry about that.))

Baxter's eye lit up in joy giving the squire a smile "MMRD? Whys didn't you says sos earliers! In thats case why don'ts you runs this test yourselfs. I'll observesin case somethings goes wrongs. Do you remembers what i dids to tests in the firsts places?"