Death of an Assassin

Ongoing roleplay and fiction.
Ravynya
Patron
Patron

Death of an Assassin

Post by Ravynya » 05/24/16

They arrived back at the compound eventually. Marchosia waited for her Mother in her Sanctum. It was only a few minutes when the Matriarch arrived. The reanimated skeletal remains of Isid laid Thaydrin’s body on one of the necromancer’s examination tables. With a casual flick of her wrist, the reanimated remains walked over to the large pile of bones and collapsed. The bardessa immediately hurried over to the table to return to trying to revive him. The much more pragmatic necromancer sighed inwardly. “Marchosia… I must prepare his remains. Go find your siblings… children… go rest…”

She pleaded with her Mother, “You can fix him. You can give him back to me. You can. I know you can.”

“No. I cannot. Let me see to the details of death for him, Marchosia. Go. I will call you back when all is ready.”

“Mother, please. You would if it was Father.” The bardessa’s tears were falling freely and quickly down her cheeks.

Her Mother was unmoved by the display and the jab about Orionus. “Your Father was a pile of blue ash. I cannot make miracles happen. Now go and let me see to your mate’s remains so they are properly handled.”

“Mother, please,” the bardessa let go of any sense of dignity and was nearly begging through her tears.

Ravynya was resolute though, “No. Now go find your sister.”

With an indignant huff and still teary eyed, Marchosia left her Mother to prepare Thaydrin’s body and sought out her sister, Jeirah.

Ravynya set about cleaning and preparing the body. It needed to be preserved for a few days and the odor nullified. She filled in the gaping wound with funerary flowers, spices, and herbs then dressed the body in his ebon chainmail that Orionus crafted for him long ago. She carefully arranged his hair and placed his daggers and bow. She looked down at her work and whispered, “Dos ussen'me Plithut al lu'xuil charnag eluith'orth, Ussta Mzilst Khalessev. Dos orn tlu malla whol dosst xund, Ussta Dalharuk*.”

After a couple hours, Thaydrin’s prepared remains were placed in the chapel for goodbyes before he would be cremated. A large raven sat in the rafters watching.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

* You served Hatred well and with deep faith, My Most Trusted. You will be honored for your work, My Son.

((OOC – If you knew the character of Thaydrin/Thaydryn and wish to make your goodbyes, you would be welcomed to make those goodbyes here. While this character was not well known on AB, Thaydrin was originally an LDL character and was known there. He moved to this server with the rest of us after the merger.

Marchosia
Patron
Patron

Re: Death of an Assassin

Post by Marchosia » 05/24/16

Marchosia made her way from her Mother's hidden sanctum to the Nox'Cruor Manor. No one stopped her as she headed to Jeirah's kitchen looking for her sister. The bardessa found her and Tebirahc. The warrior took one look at Marchosia and used that as a cue to leave. He kissed Jeirah on the cheek and got out of the way. The warrior had barely passed through the threshold of the doorway when words and much more in the way of tears erupted from Marchosia, "Isid killed Thaydrin. He is dead and Mother can't fix it." Tebirahc's head jerked around at the comment. This was not good. He continued to make his exit though. It was best to let the sisters handle their business without him.

Jeirah's joyful expression for seeing her sister was instantly replaced with shock the moment she looked up from the stove. The words were ringing in her ears but had not yet caught up to her brain. "Isid killed Thaydrin...." She was sure more was said but those three were the only ones that would stick in her thoughts. Forgetting the delicate process of the dish she was preparing, Jeirah throws her arms around her sister. Silent tears fall down her cheeks and onto Marchosia's shoulders. She can hear the clank of Tebirahc's armor echoing through the halls as he makes his departure. "Oh March....I am so sorry. What happened? How?" Jeirah tried to form complete sentences but her mind was stuck...."Isid killed Thaydrin...."

“He did. It was terrible. Isid got me to come out to him in the Eastern Wastes to help him. Instead he attempted to attack me. Thaydrin was there. I don’t know how he got there so fast. He was supposed to be helping Mother. There was a fight…” She trails off into more tears, “I don’t know what I am going to do, Jeirah.” Marchosia bawled. She had quite literally known Thaydrin her entire life. He had been her protectorate from the time she was newly born until she was an adult and eventually he would be her bound mate. There was little she had experienced in life without him there.

Jeirah held her little sister tight while she cried. Time seemed to stand still but Jeirah knew there was much to be done. She knew she had to ask but the lump in her throat kept the words from forming right away. "March, where are the children?"

"At the compound with the nanny." Marchosia finally wandered over to a chair and sat down heavily. A thought hit her hard and started her tears anew, "I have to tell my children their father is dead."

"I know. We will do it together." Jeirah walked over the counter and poured a cup of tea, adding just a bit of brandy to it before bringing it over and handing it to Marchosia. She watched as her youngest sibling seemed to age right before her eyes. "March, drink it." She watched a moment to see if March actually would or not before adding. "Do you want me to send Tebirahc to get them?"

She shakily takes a few sips of the tea calming down a bit again. “He will never find Mother’s new sanctum.”

“I know where it is March.” The warrior had returned in clothing rather than his armor. “I will be happy to get the kids and bring them here.” The bardessa looked up at him and nodded without further word. He nodded back at her and smiled faintly at Jeirah, “I will be back with the kids.”

“Thank you…” the bardessa squeaked out between her tears and sips of tea.

Tebirahc headed off for the sanctum.

Marchosia looked up at her sister, “Why couldn’t Mother fix him? She manages to fix everything else.”

"I'm sure she did everything she could for him March. There are just some things even Mother cannot fix."

“Why would Isid betray us like that again? Why would he go after me and kill Thaydrin? I don’t understand.” She sets down the tea cup with a shaky hand.

Jeirah had no answers. The last time she even knew of the Knight was when he walked away from the house many years ago and never returned. She had heard rumors of his first betrayal. Why her Mother allowed him near the family again she could only speculate. Her Mother's reasoning rarely made sense to her. "I don't know March. Did he say anything before....?"
  • Maldarae watched the sisters from the doorway for a long while not wanting to disturb them. Tebirahc had stopped by her office on the way out to collect the children and given her a brief update. As quietly as she had entered, she turned and walked back to her office to pen two parchments. Two house servants were summoned to deliver the sealed notes, a third was dispatched to bring the news to the rest of the house members and summon them to gather in the chapel.
“He said he wanted to be as hated in death as he was in life…” She took a deep breath. “He even went after Mother. She burned the flesh from his bones.”

The shadows darkened as Ravynya arrived. She entered the kitchen quietly as ever and spoke matter of factly, “Isid was quite disturbed. I believe he sought death from the hands that would most likely assure it happened. I have moved Thaydrin’s remains to the chapel here. Tebirahc is entertaining the children at the present.”

The voice always sent a small shiver down Jeirah's spine. Even for it being her Mother's, it always chilled her to the bone. She looked over her shoulder as the shadows dispersed to see her Mother. Without a word she goes to pour a second cup of tea and sets it on the side table just the way her Mother prefers. Jeirah takes a seat on the opposite side of her sister. So many questions swirl around in her mind as she sits holding Marchosia's hand and watching their mother in silence.

The Matriarch settled in a seat and took a sip of the tea. Her voice was carried on the whispers of the dead, “The damage to Thaydrin was too extensive. Not even the most skilled cleric could have saved him.” She paused for a moment and looked her daughters over knowingly. They did not share her pragmatic outlook on death. “Ask what you need to ask.”

Jeirah regarded her Mother's words. She had never been able to accept death the way her parents did. She probably never would. She would speak privately with her Mother later but for now her sister was the one that needed to hear the answers and she needed to be strong for March.

The bardessa regarded her Mother for a moment then looked away. She did not have it in her to fight with the necromancer. Then she got up suddenly, “I need to tell the children.” She walked out of the kitchen without further comment.

Ravynya sipped her tea and set her gaze on Jeirah though she remained silent. The death of household members always managed to become a sore topic.
  • Meanwhile in the chapel… While she waited, Maldarae set about making sure the chapel was prepared for the family’s arrival. She entered to find Thaydrin’s body had already been delivered and laid out with the utmost care. Ravynya would have seen to that. Perfection in Death.

She stood over the table and said a silent prayer in the ancient tongue. The candle light danced over his body as the spirits that left before him welcomed him into their embrace. “You now serve the Will in death, as you did in Life, Thaydrin. Hate be with you.” The last words were spoken on a whisper.
Jeirah looked from Marchosia to Ravynya as the silence ate at her soul. Marchosia's sudden departure left her face to face with their Mother. The cold gaze settled on her made her cringe inwardly though she managed to keep her composure. Her mother could smell weakness regardless but she was determined not to give her any outward indication of such. "What happened?"

"Isid lured Marchosia to him with a lie. I heard it over the crests. I sent him on no task in the Eastern Wastes. Your sister yelled through the crest that Isid had betrayed us again. By the time I was able to arrive, Isid had buried a jagged blade sword from Thaydrin's stomach up into his chest cavity. Marchosia was dealing with Isid's wolves. I dispatched the last wolf. Isid turned on me next. I dispatched him for his transgressions against this family." She takes another sip of her tea.

Jeirah wondered silently how Isid had been allowed back near the family but she kept those questions to herself for now. "I should go be with Marchosia as she tells the children. She shouldn't be alone." Jeirah stands to leave and turns back to face the necromancer. "I know you have your reasons for keeping them away, but you should allow her and the children to return home for a while." Without waiting for a response she turns to find her sister.

She sipped her tea quietly at least she had a preview of the next set of accusations and family argument points.

The telling of the children was hard for Marchosia and tearful. Tebirahc and Jeirah helped her usher them all to the chapel to say goodbye. The bardessa finally broke down completely and just sobbed in the quiet of the chapel.

Ravynya entered and settled into a darkened corner. The large raven fluttered from the rafters and landed on the back of the Matriarch’s chair watching the goings on in the chapel with her.

Vashri
Visitor

Post by Vashri » 05/24/16

Vashri said nothing when the news was broken to her. It could not be true. Daddy couldn't die. The girl followed dutifully when taken to the chapel.

There he was, laid out carefully. He could be sleeping. Vashri watched her mother break down but she made no move to comfort her. She stepped forward, avoiding anyone's attempts to stop her and went right to her fathers side. She reached out and touched his face, but it was cold and lifeless. Subtle movements in the shadows revealed her grandmothers presence to her and she glanced in that direction. She recalled how Grandmother had said that one day she would take her fathers place. While mature for her age, she knew she was too young to take his place now. She looked back to her father again, and leaned in to kiss his cheek. She then stepped back down.

Still she did not shed a tear as her siblings said their own farewells. Beside her, her mother still sobbed. Vashri looked down at her. They had never been close. She lifted a hand, hesitated, then gently laid it on her mother's shoulder.

Marchosia
Patron
Patron

Post by Marchosia » 05/27/16

Jeirah and Tebirahc had ushered the kids off for the evening. Marchosia stood at the side of her mate’s remains. The great care Mother had taken in preparing him was obvious. It was likely the only outward sign of loss the methuselah necromancer would ever show. She reached out and touched his face gently. The story to honor him would come to her eventually. The words were lost in the chaos of her grief right now.

The shadows surged around her. She had forgotten Mother was there or did not realize she had not left yet. She steeled herself. Communication with her Mother was a struggle on a good day. This was definitely not a good day. In a quiet voice with something akin to gentleness, Ravynya spoke in Elder Teir`dal.
  • “None shall know life without death
    None shall know love without hate
    None shall know purity without corruption
    Undeniable in Truth
    Portal to comprehension
    Sacrificing Light for Transcendence
    Only understanding Hatred’s Will
    Allows Transformation

Offering understanding
    Existing despite dichotomous denial
    Perversely accentuating belief
    Manifest in the face of reproof
    Embodied by death
    All must pass through me
    I am the door”
The large raven that had been sitting in the rafters then on the back of the necromancer’s chair landed and perched on the side of the altar next to Thaydrin. It tilted its head regarding the bardessa as her Mother speaks. “It is more than I have to remember your Father…” The shadows clawed at the edges of her robes as the Matriarch exited the room.

Marchosia regarded the large raven a bit confused. She accepted her Mother’s gift though. Such things were few and far between. Certainly, she rarely gave up one her precious murder of ravens. She spent a little more time in the quiet of the chapel before heading home. The raven followed her.

Ravynya
Patron
Patron

Post by Ravynya » 05/31/16

After everyone had their time to make their goodbyes, the necromancer returned. The main doors were shut and locked so no one disturbed the final preparations.

With assistance of her minions, Ravynya carefully removed the chainmail and weapons. They were placed in a crate to be returned to Marchosia. She paused before laying the tunic in the crate. Orionus had crafted this armor at Marchosia’s insistence. His attention to detail was always amazing. This had ultimately become Thaydrin’s formal armor.

She turned back to the body and began to wrap it carefully in drapings anointed in funerary essential oils. It would help manage the odor and aid in the cremation process. She paused before wrapping his face. Her voice was quiet and carried on the whispers of the dead as she uttered a brief prayer.

• To Hatred’s Will, I surrender, this heart, this soul, Ussta Mzilst Khalessev.*
    It is with Faith that he is delivered.
    It is with the depths of my Conviction that I offer up the chalice of his heart.
    Drink deep of his life that he might know the depths of the river of Forgetfulness and Memory.
    It is without fear and with true desire that I send your soul to eternal service in Death, Ussta Dalharuk.**

She carefully finished the wrapping of the body. With a silent command, her minions transfer the body to the stretcher and carry it out to the funeral pyre for the cremation.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*My Most Trusted

**My Son

Marchosia
Patron
Patron

Post by Marchosia » 06/01/16

Marchosia arrived with children in tow. The older ones helped with the younger ones. The bardessa was an emotional mess, but she looked like the perfect grieving widow. She got them all settled and ready for the final send off. As she fussed over the children's clothing for millionth time, the shadows thickened and came to life. Her Mother's minions carried Thaydrin's prepared and wrapped body out and set it on the unlit pyre. This stopped Marchosia dead in her tracks. She watched then sit down struggling with the internal ebb of emotions. The shadows continued to move as her Mother joined them. The necromancer took her seat and folded her hands neatly in her lap to wait.