Outpost of the Overlord and Queen's Colony

Guides and EQ2-related discussions.
Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Outpost of the Overlord and Queen's Colony

Post by Psia » 08/03/18

This week, I ventured back into Norrath to poke around. Contemplating what chains to rattle and how much dust to blow off of some characters.

I was on a Freeport alt. Level 24 Mage. Enjoying, as I often do, just re-exploring Freeport itself. I just love the cities in this game. I did wind up at a bell. And the globe pedestal. I know several expansions of content have been applied since my days of any serious gameplay. I expected new locations on the world map. What surprised me was the Outpost of the Overlord. Smack dab in the center of the map!

Just before I had quit playing the 11th Anniversary veteran reward had been introduced. A copy of the Isle of Refuge itself. The original tutorial setting from back at game launch. Some we had been told for years we could never see again. Never revisit as the code was too old and not worth updating to the current state of the game after ten years. Now a plain prestige home map. With NPC packs to permit the Veteran player's to place things however they wished. Purist placement or something original. A lovely homage, I thought.

Then I read of the Isle of Refuge progression server. With a totally restored Boat tutorial and the Isle of Refuge. I was tempted to return at that point. But resolved that starting over from scratch just wasn't for me.

So. I ask at what point in the past few years did the Queen's Colony and Outpost of the Overlord variants of the isle return to our beloved Antonia Bayle server? And to the other standard servers? And what, exactly, is the litmus for accessing them? My Fae - created in Faydwer - can visit the Colony. While another Faydwer toon can't. Same for the Outpost and evil aligned toons. Who can see it on the world map to visit doesn't seem consistent to me.

I note that the level 1-9 tutorials of those islands seem completely intact. Though the guards are all level 103. Can ya say overkill? Ha!
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations

Psia
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer
Owner of Psi'a's Hammer

Re: Outpost of the Overlord and Queen's Colony

Post by Psia » 08/05/18

I freed up a character slot. Doing so I learned both Tutorial isles amongst the choices at character creation across Live servers. Right along with the newer starting zones which had previously supplanted them. Seems one of the games best kept secrets and don't understand why?

Anyway, I guess I'm waxing nostalgic about lost conversations. What would we do with these isles we longed to revisit years ago? But couldn't. Roleplay recruitment was one thing that would come up. We used to want to host reunions of some kind as well.

Thoughts?
"The food is good, the wine is excellent, the staff timely. All that is lacking is your company." - EQ2 Raven Mythic FAQ

"Let me tell you something. Don't. Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you, don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship, because while you're there, you can make a difference." - Kirk to Picard, Star Trek Generations