Seeking Authors/Player Written Books...

Guides and EQ2-related discussions.
Xyviene
Regular
Regular

Seeking Authors/Player Written Books...

Post by Xyviene » 05/02/15

So I had an idea and so far it seems to be a decent one based on the reactions of the people I have told. I was hesitant to post about it since I'm not quite ready to share it yet and still have a ways to go. But in the interest of wanting motivation to get this off the ground and to make sure when I AM ready to start this, I have books on opening day. Here goes.

What I need Books/Authors for:
Xyviene is opening a library with a bar in it, with the intention of also using it to buy and sell books, rare ones, possibly 'banned' ones, or even just simple stories that IC authors have written. While I will be tapping all my contacts and also working to write some to sell on various alts, pen names, NPCs, ect. I want to open this for the community to use as a way to gain IC and OOC exposure so people can find neat books to add to their collections.

The Broker is not really a great way for folks to sell their books. A standalone library is great but it does not draw people to it. This will get people IN and SEEING your books, and have a RP reason for having it.

The Venue itself:
The general theme is exactly what it sounds like. A library with a bar in it, basically what you would expect a Mage's tavern to be. It will be high brow, classy and have a good wine bar and the like. There will be a small stage for possible events that are thematically appropriate. Things like Riddle Contests, Trivia nights, maybe scholarly discussions/debates. I see poetry readings and intellectually pleasing music.

It will be in the rotation for The Spectre Cartel's Tuesday Night Venues. I will NOT be taking up another time slot.

How it will work:
To have me sell your books- I will either give you blanks I made, Or I will pay for fuels. You and I will discuss how much you would ideally like to sell your book for, within reason I don't see 500 plat books selling, but would maybe have some listed RPly for flavor, trades, ect.

The Display/Selling Process:
How I see it working now, is that you give me a display copy, with the title like "Display: Lucan's Secret Life" and then several copies with the normal title. If it's a book you wrote ICly, just a regular title like "Lucan's Secret Life" makes sense. If it's say, RPly, a rare lost book that is an artifact. What I may do is title it with "Copy of: The Erudian Guide to Lost Socks" or something. As if you transcribed it, or Xyv did as a matter of preserving knowledge. I'm toying with a Banned Books section..for various cities.

I will keep the sellable copies in the moving crate. While maintaining a Master Price List that includes all the titles I am currently selling and how much they are supposed to be sold for. This way I never lose my display copy, so if I run out of your book I can remember to ask for them. It also preserves it somewhere, in case you lose your own copy. HAH. I totally haven't ever done that....

When a book sells, you will get a mail from me with the agreed upon amount and how many books I have left of yours. ICly, I RP having a cut of it..Xyv is in the Cartel after all and from a business oriented family. I don't think I will take a cut OOC. I thought about it because of time/effort. But this is a labor of love and something I want to do for fun, to facilitate RP and benefit the community not because I actually want cash flow.

One last note: I am open to basically any genre, from rare artifacts, magical woowoo stuff to tawdry romance novels. HOWEVER, please don't try to get me to sell books that are so naughty they could get me banned. I will evaluate each book as we discuss IC so that I can be sure I know what I am about to sell..and so I can avoid selling anything that is too likely to upset people.

I may even have a small OOC section and RP those being sold as you buying something else.

I welcome your thoughts and I would love it if any authors mailed or PMed me your interest, your books, genre, ect. We can get together ICly as I will be making rounds and posting the request IC too.

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Re: Seeking Authors/Player Written Books...

Post by TinweSaa » 05/02/15

Incredible idea! I am looking forward to seeing where this goes. It has so much potential! :-)

Maelgrym
Honored Patron
Honored Patron

Post by Maelgrym » 05/04/15

I love this idea. I am glad that you are going to consider book rarity and be open to old spell/ritual books that add to the RP flavor.

Will you be entertaining storylines that could incorporate your library into them or will your plate be too full the first few weeks?

Xyviene
Regular
Regular

Post by Xyviene » 05/04/15

The Rare/Magical books would be something Xyv herself would be most interested in. I suspect I'll get more books that aren't that way but it will definitely be a big part of this. I will be doing some RP to obtaining some of them, too.

I would definitely be entertaining storylines of all sorts. It may be a bit hectic at the start but right now I'm still decorating and starting out. So hopefully people will start contacting me soon so I can get their stuff ready and waiting while I'm still putting other things together. So that I don't have a super mad rush to get shelves filled right before it starts.

Shalour
Regular
Regular

Post by Shalour » 05/05/15

This is a great idea. When I first started playing, I intended to write in game stories but the interest died when there was no sure way to get them out for people to enjoy.

Xyviene
Regular
Regular

Post by Xyviene » 05/05/15

I am going to start sending out a book/in game mail with instructions to folks expressing interest. If you are interested but haven't contacted me directly yet, please do so. Even if you just send me a PM with your main's name or something.

Then once you are ready, let me know and I will also send you empty books or reimburse you for fuels as necessary.

I am also going to send mail out to various guild leaders with hopes they can inform their guilds to see if anyone is interested who may not check forums or RPLFG/ect.

Xyviene
Regular
Regular

Post by Xyviene » 05/05/15

This is a copy of the Instructions I am sending out but would like everyone to get a copy to refer to as needed, if they plan to sell books through it. (I need to settle on a name for the venue, agh.)

And for future books.

INSTRUCTIONS:

I am sending this out to help make sure I get all my ducks in a row and start taking possession of books so I can prep before I find myself at the last minute, franticalyl placing and dealing with books.

If you received this book in error, please mail it back to me. I am sending this out to those I believe were interested in supplying books OOC.

After reading, please reply to this with a MAIL to myself with all the information requested. If you have questions, pester me.

PLEASE DON'T SEND ME BOOKS YET.

~Part 1: WHAT I NEED TO KNOW OOC:~

1 ) YOUR PREFERRED OOC CONTACT METHOD / MAIL RECIPENT.

2 ) YOUR PLAY TIMES
(So I can talk to you if need be, IC or OOC)

2 ) PLEASE FILL OUT THE FOLLOWING FOR EACH 'BOOK'/SERIES

Title of Book/Series:
Number of Volumes:
IC Author/Origin: (Who wrote it, where is it from? Rare book, NPC written, ect.)
Genre: (I.e. Romance, music, magic, history)
Brief Description/Summary:
Notes: (anything else you think may be relevant.)

PART 2: BOOK HANDOFF

Once I have that information, we will contact you and we can set up a meeting with me/library staff so we read/approve your books. This will also be the IC meeting, if applicable.

We can also give you blank books/fuel costs at the time and make sure you understand what we need before you give us the books.

Display copies will be given in addition to sellable copies, they will be titled to reflect that they aren't to be sold. "Display: Name", ect.

We would also like it if you wouldn't mind putting a couple lines in the sellable copies, beginning or end saying something like:

"This book was purchased at <Venue/Library name."

If you're not OK with that, that's OK.

DO NOT SEND/MAKE BOOKS TIL THEY ARE APPROVED.

Once your books are approved, you will need to give me:

1 Display Copy (Title: Book name)

5 COPIES to be sold.
Preferably with the "Sold at" notation in the beginning or end. Normal, unaltered title.

Confirmed Price figure: (Just to reiterate what we agreed to sell it for.

Rahfel
Resident
Resident

Post by Rahfel » 05/05/15

Aw yuus. Can't wait!
If you ever need help staffing due to absences or whatever, I'd be happy to help, granted that would be acceptable.
Either way Rifuul's gonna be like a kid in a candy shop! :mrgreen:

Zilvrae
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Zilvrae » 05/06/15

I like this idea. Including book sales adds something new to the Library Tavern venue format.

You mentioned that this will be scheduled on rotation with other venues hosted by The Specre Cartel. Will it be staffed by the Cartel, or are you planning to run this on your own? Just curious, since I discovered the hard way that running a venue by myself leads to burnout.

Anyway, I can provide a book for sale, 'Captain Freedom Saves Frostfell'.

However, I've officially retired the rest of the Captain Freedom coloring book series, as they include parodies of characters who have not played in some time and are not expected to return. I'm willing to provide display copies of these out-of-print books if you'd like, though.

Xyviene
Regular
Regular

Post by Xyviene » 05/06/15

TSC will be helping me although I have a couple people specifically who will be, though they are guilded I've spoken to them IC about helping with the project in general. We seldom have trouble staffing due to the fact most are used to helping out regardless of what venue is in the rotation. Although you're more likely to see certain people staffing certain venues. It's the benefit of the rotation.

If for some reason it becomes to the point where there may be higher demand than I anticipated :shock: . I'm hoping to convince one of the people to maybe run it jointly but it's also a matter of timing, too. If it's insane I'll definitely reach out because I know lots of people are interested.

The thing is that the rotation we have, is about 5 venues right now. Though some have taken a week off due to RL or whatever. But it means I won't be running it every week. Unless the demand is so great I have to move it to another night twice a month or something. As of right now, I just won't know until it opens.

And I'm still decorating the damn thing. ;)

As for the Captain books - Definitely yes to the one that IS still in print. But I'd alsolove to have display copies even if those books are out of print. If someone tried to haggle for one with me, what would be your feelings on that? It's not likely.

TinweSaa
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by TinweSaa » 05/06/15

Perhaps allowing it to be a BYORP when not staffed? Patrons would understand that purchase and deals cannot be made, but they can at least do a little rp there when no one is available. Just a suggestion.

Xyviene
Regular
Regular

Post by Xyviene » 05/06/15

I'll probably keep it published once I get it going. So yeah. Could always have a mail order thing too. Assuming I can keep my mailbox that tidy.. :mrgreen: Obviously I'll unpublish when I have to put in more books and republish, but it's definitely one of those things I want people to be able to tour and see, because of all the books.

Xyviene
Regular
Regular

Post by Xyviene » 05/14/15

So I think I may have gone a bit OCD crazy on making this too organized. I don't want to scare people off so I am probably going to revisit the idea of sending out instructions and just taking the time to talk to people and get info documented myself. I have a couple volunteers in guild but one is now going to be very MIA for a time.

So I am altering my request to only really need approval for any romance novels. For the sake of not getting someone in trouble. Because while I really do not care and am shocked by nothing.. The level of exposure your book could get may set off people who are more sensitive than I am, and much more inclined to report, than I am.

IF YOU ARE INTERESTED and are PRETTY DARN SURE(TM) that I am not going to worry about content.
PLEASE GO AHEAD AND SEND ME THE FOLLOWING:

1 Display Copy preferably - not gonna lose my shit if you just send me 5 normal copies. But it'd be nice to have one titled "Display: Name."
2-5 copies of your book with normal titles
HOW MUCH YOU WANT PER COPY - I.E. 5-10 plat.. 50 gold, whatever.
COST OF FUELS.

If you are NEEDING books that are not on the broker, please let me know I will make them and send to you. I try to keep a good stock for cheap on it all the time.

KrystaNyssa
Resident
Resident

Post by KrystaNyssa » 05/14/15

OK I've seen something like this before but we didn't have player books at that time. I'm interested and curious, though the only in game books I've done were not to be seen by others. *smirks*

Xyviene
Regular
Regular

Post by Xyviene » 05/17/15

There has been some desire for a real X or R section. I'm considering it, but if I make a decision on it, it won't be until after we have opened and are functional.

To give folks a bit of update on where I'm at:

Decorating is full speed ahead now. I'm winning the battle against a Freeport House.

Book status - Yesterday I received a collection of -50- books from a Non-RPer who transcribed them from game and most are no longer obtainable. She gave them to me with the intent of preserving them and passing em on. I will have to copy them manually - typing them all out. So that's um.. a lot.

I have also received another 10 or so and promises of about another 20. Give or take a few, so far.

Plus a lot of folks who are planning on writing some specifically for this.

Projected opening date is about June 16th.

Slipps
Honored Resident
Honored Resident

Post by Slipps » 05/18/15

I do have some books, but mostly songs (including the performance bits), if you wish those? Slipps' song content alone is pushing 30 volumes. However there are songs and stories that would fit into a children's section.

Xyviene
Regular
Regular

Post by Xyviene » 05/18/15

Yes! I would love songbooks! Plays, poetry.. Really, my only limitation on books is that they not be straight up erotica - tawdry novels are okay.

I do plan to have a small children's section as well.

Since you have so many, let me know if it would be easier to place them somewhere so you don't have to mail or to meet you. Or you can do what a couple have done, put them in an empty house and give me access. Also copies!

Also my plan for an OOC section is "Self Help" so I am also accepting OOC books since I know quite a few people have written guides on adorning, crafting, ect as well as your RP Venue guides.

Tzanntiel
Visitor

Post by Tzanntiel » 05/22/15

I was practicing my Google-Fu today and ran into a post about another house on AB, it's a Freeport Personal Library under the name of Ishbel. Apparently the owner has over 600 player books in it for browsing. The post was from 2012, so I'm not sure if it's still active or available. I don't know if would be helpful for your project, but it made me think of it. I really love the idea of a library/bar as a venue.

Here's a link to the post, in case you'd like to see the title listing:
https://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/ind ... -bayle.46/

Lillya
Resident
Resident

Post by Lillya » 09/20/16

Is this still operational?

Xyviene
Regular
Regular

Post by Xyviene » 09/21/16

It still physically exists. I have been putting off moving it into a better space for awhile. But yes, I do still have it and plan to bring it back at some point.

It's physically intact, I can just close off the unfinished area if anyone wants a peek.

Rovine
Patron
Patron

Post by Rovine » 09/22/16

Stopping by to add my voice of interest as well from a newbie!